View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 52 of 225 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 4493
    This is a computer, running Linux, and one that's open and customizable. If you want to demote it, feel free. I think the Hero might be more to your liking. I think it will have less power but more eye candy for the drag and drop crowd!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Hmm... sounds like someone hasn't looked in Homebrew lately. I can understand the office suite part, but the phone is pretty good. I came from windows mobile over to this phone and I find it very convenient, even more so then WinMo. The Pre is growing, and it's unfortunate that you are deciding to this, instead of either holding out, or research what is going to come forth for Office Suites and many other things.

If you're talking about mimicking a computer, get a computer. Otherwise it does quite a bit of what a computer can do. Go to full fledge websites, email, chat, multi-tasking...even has a full qwerty keyboard. I don't know what I'm missing or understanding...so I'll just stop.
    I'm not convinced. Although the Pre currently lacks those features, that doesn't mean it loses it's status as a smartphone. Maybe you could look at the general definition of smartphone on Wikipedia.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    I was making a point of how useless the ability is. Well maybe not useless but just how many people are actually using their Pre to navigate and listen to Pandora at the same time? Now compare that to the amount of people who would love to be able to forward a text, or voice dial a number, or shoot a 20 or 30 sec video and a slew of other things that the majority of smartphones on the market can do and have been doing for years. Including other Palm phones. Things that this phone can't do and judging by Palm's efforts, will never be able to do unless someone figures out a app, tweak or patch that will enable it. Palm seems happy with giving us animated menus & blinking notifications. What will we get with the next update? Maybe when someone calls, confetti will shoot out the speaker or something else cosmetic and useless. Glad to know that Palm is putting our money to work...on absolutely f-ing nothing!!!

Funny thing is, after hating this phone for the first 3 months or so, I was just starting to like it. With the way the Homebrew scene took off and with people coming up with tweaks and patches to enhance or at least bring it on level with other smartphones. I was really starting to come around, but after another useless update Palm has turned me against it again. I wish they would just leave it alone and move on to something else. Let the people continue to make the phone for them since they obviously have no freaking clue as to what to do with the Pre.
    Hmm...Well I navigate and listen to Pandora all of the time thru the car stereo using bluetooth, not the aux in jack.

And while I have been texting for many years, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have wanted to forward a text message.

I agree it would be nice to make a short video, but I don't think I did that more than a few times with any of my Treo's.

Why did you keep it after the first 30 days if you hated it so much? I think the updates have been great improvements overall and have come much quicker than I expected and I am confident that we'll shortly have Slingplayer, call recording, Docs to Go, and just about any other app I might want.

Just be patient and stop being so dramatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    This is a computer, running Linux, and one that's open and customizable. If you want to demote it, feel free. I think the Hero might be more to your liking. I think it will have less power but more eye candy for the drag and drop crowd!
    Believe it or not anytime someone has some legitimate concerns about the Pre telling them to buy another phone might not be the best advice for this struggling platform.

I like the Pre but not so much that I'm blinded to all of its shortcomings..and it has many.
    OP.....really.........??Really??
    smartphone
    Definition

Mobile phone which includes functions similar to those found on personal computers. Smartphones provide a one-stop solution for information management, mobile calls, email sending, and Internet access. Smartphones are compact in size and often only slightly bigger than standard mobile telephones. A popular smartphone device is the Blackberry.
    smartphone definition

I completely see what you mean.

/s
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    I'll be honest i'm happy with my Pre. Does it have areas that could be improved? Sure, but its still a very young device. It seems to me that's its always a case of wanting more. We've seen it in the forum where for days there were many post about 1.2.... Once it comes out many folks complain... Not to say there aren't issues it just seems like with this mindset the expectations will never be met with the Pre or other devices as its a constant moving target.

i'm very happy with my Pre. I could complain considering i'm on my 4th one, but it does more then I need and the defective units were exceptions not the norm. Buying a first gen device I expected I would need to be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I'm sure features and apps will eventually come but I think it's a stretch calling the pre a smartphone. To carry the prestige of being called a smartphone I would expect the following features:

A file manager to allow you to view/move/copy files, create/delete directories.
    An office suite (spreadsheet,word processing, etc) that allows create, edit, etc....
    Basically it needs to mimic some functions of a personal computer.

I'm confident that these functions will eventually come but until they do I'm afraid I will demote the Pre to a Cell Phone w/internet access.
    Yes, I agree

and I wonder how the way the pre works, in this regards, contrasts with Android and IPhone

because ive had WinMo before (5 and 6) and its absolute garbage
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Hmm... sounds like someone hasn't looked in Homebrew lately. I can understand the office suite part, but the phone is pretty good. I came from windows mobile over to this phone and I find it very convenient, even more so then WinMo. The Pre is growing, and it's unfortunate that you are deciding to this, instead of either holding out, or research what is going to come forth for Office Suites and many other things.

If you're talking about mimicking a computer, get a computer. Otherwise it does quite a bit of what a computer can do. Go to full fledge websites, email, chat, multi-tasking...even has a full qwerty keyboard. I don't know what I'm missing or understanding...so I'll just stop.
    I'm aware of homebrew but It's not for me. I prefer apps that have been "officially released" by palm.

I also come from winmo and while webos is beginning to grow on me it's just very limiting at this stage on what it can do.

I never said I'm giving up altogether on the pre, I'm just not calling this a true smartphone (at least my standards).
    Quote Originally Posted by V1cK dB View Post
    Believe it or not anytime someone has some legitimate concerns about the Pre telling them to buy another phone might not be the best advice for this struggling platform. ...
    Sorry, but [s]he wanted features the Pre does not have. To me, the simplest solution is to buy a different device.

I happen to love the Pre and I think it has may more pluses than minuses. I don't feel blinded either - I guess I'm sort of exactly the person the Pre was designed for.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I'm aware of homebrew but It's not for me. I prefer apps that have been "officially released" by palm.
    LOL

Does it really matter if they're efficient and work well?

Thanks for the laugh.
    For the most part, this is a first generation devive. I think they nailed it, is it perfect, no. Is it functional and full of endless possibilities? Yes. I've had serveral "smartphones" and I rarely ever composed or edited files on it. If I have a viewer than I am satified. Making calls, sending email, texting, web and apps.... pretty much a smart phone to me.

All the homebrews are cools, linux kernel means endless possibilities. I'll bet we'll see an Open Office version soon.

Celebrate what we have, become excited about the possibilities.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnderson127 View Post
    LOL

Does it really matter if they're efficient and work well?

Thanks for the laugh.
    YES!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by meatpuppet View Post
    . I'll bet we'll see an Open Office version soon.
    Sorry, no. Open Office uses a ton of resources so that'd be unlikely in general. Abiword and Gnumeric would be more likely if we were talking about a standard Linux install, but since the Pre doesn't allow Linux apps to directly reference the screen (I realize that people have gotten directFB apps to work, but you have to close Luna for that so it doesn't count), none of those are likely. But as I already mentioned above, Dataviz has already mentioned that there will be a DocsToGo Editor on the Pre "later this year".
    while im fine with the size of the physical keyboard, and to an extent the keyboard material, id like a more positive response (especially the spacebar--i dont have tactile response that its been pressed)
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    sorry rob, you didn't figure out jack. the pixi has a light in the notification area.

Then I stand corrected, I never saw that in the details, so sorry.

But it is still a valid reason, they might come out with a WebOS phone that does not have an LED to light up.

So it still might be just one reason!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I think you all have to take into account that Palm was on their death bed and had to do something fast.

And they were so downsized by the time they figured out WebOS, I would think they didn't have enough resources to get all this stuff done that they know have to get done.

I want this stuff too, but Palm was and is crippled and lot of it was their own doing.

We are here to help them turn that around, that is why I invested in the Pre.

To help them! Otherwise I would have had to get an iPhone, ugh! I didn't want to do that.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    I was making a point of how useless the ability is. Well maybe not useless but just how many people are actually using their Pre to navigate and listen to Pandora at the same time? Now compare that to the amount of people who would love to be able to forward a text, or voice dial a number, or shoot a 20 or 30 sec video and a slew of other things that the majority of smartphones on the market can do and have been doing for years.
    eh. i'd like voice dial, but forwarding txt and video... don't care much about. certainly less than i like internet radio. to each his own, eh?

Including other Palm phones. Things that this phone can't do and judging by Palm's efforts, will never be able to do unless someone figures out a app, tweak or patch that will enable it.
    judging by what's available from the command line, and the relatively *simple* patches people have been able to make, it seems quite obvious that palm *will* have these abilities soon (other than maybe voice dial, but that's probably not coming in an app either).

Funny thing is, after hating this phone for the first 3 months or so,
    you're not that bright then then- shouldda returned it w/in the 30 day return period if you hated it.
    I agree with what most are saying here: Get your panties out of that bunch and Hold On! Have YOU ever written extensive code? Have your tried building your own OS? If not, then maybe you wouldn't understand the position Palm is in. Aside from that, they are a very small company, so don't go comparing feats of other companies to Palm. They only have a VERY small fraction of employees compared to their competitors.

Many of these things people are requesting, EVERYONE doesn't use. text forwarding? I don't use it, don't plane on it, and I'm NOT the only one. Visual voicemail would be nice, but use it the old fashion way until then, are you deaf?? smh

I mean, some people will never be happy, just complain complain complain... All of these 'disappointed' people, Yet they still have their phones.......smh.