View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 48 of 225 FirstFirst ... 3843444546474849505152535898148 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The speed bump alone makes me love the 1.2 update.

If this is another thread about lack of features, like video recording, hang tight. When the catalog opens it's flood gates I have a feeling a video recording application will be in there. Just a hunch.
    yea but @ what cost... an how do you kno that it will...
    I'm not comparing the Pre with the iPhone. In my view all smartphones today are premature and largely miss the mark.

One simple reason for this is that the technology is still cost prohibitive which necessitates carrier subsidies and dumbing down to sell in volume.

Look at what Palm is doing. They have to divert precious resources to an app store that will sell $1 apps to the masses instead of stabilizing the phone and fixing bugs.
    Woah, Sivan, you've sooo got it wrong.

Palm is using everything they can to fix the OS and to add new software. We don't know what their plans are, nor should we know.

And for those who are complaining about 1.2...

If you want to ditch your Pre and get a Blackberry with no touch screen and a crappy web browser, then be my guest.

If you want to get an iPhone with no multi tasking and a truly crappy cloud PIM sync, then go for it.

Palm never made any promises for 1.2 so you have no right to be disappointed. If 1.2 has broken something, then tell them. And be patient.

What they ARE doing is instead of making promises, they are slowly, and methodically building a phone OS that is fast, stable, and robust. All of the features that we ALL want (Voice recording, Video recording, Voice dial are my personal top three) will happen. Eventually. Be patient, and realize that Palm has limited resources, and they are doing the best they can.

When I got my first Treo I was amazed at how much work went into the OS. It was clean, fast, polished. It must have taken quite some time to get there. Webos will have that same polish. Have some patience. Palm, more than any other smart phone company, listens.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I was contemplating starting a new thread for this, but I will post this as a response.

I love my Pre, particularly WebOS. There are a couple of shortcomings, some having nothing to do with WebOS like battery life and build quality. However there are a large number of things about the Pre that I think make it one of, if not the best smartphone on the market.

1. User replaceable battery.
    2. True multitasking.
    3. Excellent web browsing experience.
    4. GPS integration and navigation without spending more for service or software.
    5. Open platform allowing for easy software development and tweaking.
    6. PIM sync - although not perfect, it is as good or better than iPhone, RIM, and WinMo

Sure, there are things that could use some work. Video recording, zoom on the camera, some calendar improvements, a network better than Sprint, etc. I have had WinMo devices, BB's, Palm OS phones, etc. The OS itself and in many ways the phone blow the others away. Looking at initial specs, I even think I'd take a Pixi over any BB or WinMo available.

Palm is working hard not to make an iPhone killer, but to create an OS that will allow them to make devices that suit many different needs and will sustain the company for a few years out.

Apple is a brilliant and much larger company and they still haven't got everything right on the iPhone. Palm has done a great job with the Pre and the 1.2 update was simply an update, not a new version of the OS. They are making good progress. Enjoy your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by savage_973 View Post
    • when palm released the pre it was suppose to compete w/ the iphone 3g
    • not the iphone 2g
    • palm did i good job in making a phone better than the iphone 2g but fell short in winning over the 3g
    • ppl keep sayin it took apple 3 yrs to do this, an do that... well palm has been making the same phone since the treo 600... the treo 650-700-755-centro were the exact same phone just different bodies
    • ok iphone just got mms and video recording. ok fine but why make a phone that can compete rather than win... i play basketball and i kno that when im practicing i dont practice so i can compete with other players i practice so i can win.
    • it almost reminds of the instinct (ok sry that was a low blow)
    • yet i kno you get the point...

i love my pre
    hate the tech support love my precentral family
    Palm OS was last updated in 2002. They rode that old horse till the legs turned to dust.

This is just another example of a lack of understanding human limitations. Unfortunately a small team can't write everything ever into an OS at once.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

If this is another thread about lack of features, like video recording, hang tight. When the catalog opens it's flood gates I have a feeling a video recording application will be in there. Just a hunch.

yeah but thats something that should have been there from the begining. having to wait for a developer to build a video recording app is disappointing on Palms behalf.

Being another long time Palm/Treo user you know how much more usable the Treos are in their current state compared to the Pre.

On a positive note....being able to download files via web is a huge leap forward. That alone is worth the 1.2 update. unfortunately all the nice tweaks got killed but oh well. Its still clunky though. I really dont care how many damn animations they can add to the UI, just get it working smoothly.
  7. NaS
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    its their 1st phn! An it only at 1.2. We all know its only goin to get better! If people remember when Iphone launched they had nothing! Yea I upset we didn't get the features that came from the treo! But their coming! Lets just hope they don't shut us down after they get their OS stable!
    LOL @
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    Palm OS was last updated in 2002. They rode that old horse till the legs turned to dust.
    Aint that the truth. I loved my Treo 755p but it couldn't handle web pages. Now that I have the pre, pure bliss. If they can only get Flash to work, (and add more memory) there will never be a need to buy a NETbook.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Where's the iPhone 3GS app to allow listening to Pandora while using the Navigation software in your car. Some phones still linger in the dark ages as well.
    Im tired of all you people, when someone makes a valid point about the slow process of palm and how they definitely messed up by not having basic features on the Pre you guys defend palm. Look I love my Pre its amazing but c'mon seriously. Instead of defending palm we need to complain to send the message that we are unhappy with little issues.

Step ya game up PALM
    Yet i still Love ya Pre
    I don't doubt that they are working hard but I disagree with the characterization of their efforts as methodical.
    Couldn't have said it better my self !!

Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    I was contemplating starting a new thread for this, but I will post this as a response.

I love my Pre, particularly WebOS. There are a couple of shortcomings, some having nothing to do with WebOS like battery life and build quality. However there are a large number of things about the Pre that I think make it one of, if not the best smartphone on the market.

1. User replaceable battery.
    2. True multitasking.
    3. Excellent web browsing experience.
    4. GPS integration and navigation without spending more for service or software.
    5. Open platform allowing for easy software development and tweaking.
    6. PIM sync - although not perfect, it is as good or better than iPhone, RIM, and WinMo

Sure, there are things that could use some work. Video recording, zoom on the camera, some calendar improvements, a network better than Sprint, etc. I have had WinMo devices, BB's, Palm OS phones, etc. The OS itself and in many ways the phone blow the others away. Looking at initial specs, I even think I'd take a Pixi over any BB or WinMo available.

Palm is working hard not to make an iPhone killer, but to create an OS that will allow them to make devices that suit many different needs and will sustain the company for a few years out.

Apple is a brilliant and much larger company and they still haven't got everything right on the iPhone. Palm has done a great job with the Pre and the 1.2 update was simply an update, not a new version of the OS. They are making good progress. Enjoy your Pre.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    this morning i woke up and really wanted to express how i felt about the pre and the update. the age old cliche of "you can't please all of the people all of the time" is certainly ringing true here. We are all a different bunch with different likes and wants, but one thing we do have in common is that we all fell in love with this phone and it's hopes and promises of being the "best out there". Now we don't want to be taken advantage of, and i think that may be what bothers a lot of us. Simple technology that is not only common, but reasonable requests such as a video camera, text forwarding, visual voicemail, FLASH! (ok this is my personal list) are not much to ask from a phone that is READY and VERY CAPABLE of doing this. I don't understand why it would be necessary to hold out on all of us on these simplicities. But for whatever the reasons may be, many of us still hold on to the bright future that we know can come from this phone. We can only hope that Palm can see what they have in there hands ... a true Iphone killer, now just bring it on already!!!!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    Where's the iPhone 3GS app to allow listening to Pandora while using the Navigation software in your car. Some phones still linger in the dark ages as well.
    +1
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    Like the blinking notifications, Jeff said they added, but disabled it. It is there, just not enabled for the end user. You have to make a modification.
    What people have not realized is why Palm has kept it disabled! I did figure it out and it's real easy.

This software is also meant to be put on a Pixie and the Pixie does NOT have the stupid button, they took it out because they realized it's useless in most cases.

Will I turn it on, yes, but can you see why Palm would keep it disabled, it's because of the Pixie.

IMHO!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    People have the right to be disappointed. I have the right to be satisfied with what Palm is doing. Keep up the good work Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

This software is also meant to be put on a Pixie and the Pixie does NOT have the stupid button, they took it out because they realized it's useless in most cases.

Rob
    Hrrmm... So WebOS has no way of checking which hardware it's running on? I'm not doubting this, but it would seem to be a major oversight. Wouldn't it be just as eay to put in a CASE statement than comment out the code because a hardware feature has been removed?
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    I Think Palm Is Doing An Outstanding Job With The Pre/ Web OS! I Mean They Have Created This Beast That Allows People like You and I to Create Themes and Programs Etcetera, And Be A part Of This Thing Called Pre. I Guess Basically I Just Want to Say Thanks To precentral And This Forum for Homebrewers Because What We Do without Them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    What people have not realized is why Palm has kept it disabled! I did figure it out and it's real easy.

Will I turn it on, yes, but can you see why Palm would keep it disabled, it's because of the Pixie.

IMHO!

Rob
    Wouldn't the light bar in the Pixi gesture area be the equivalent to the Pre's light.
    please let us get a signature for text messages