View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 45 of 225 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595145 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    Easy fix, dust off that now-inactive 3G and use it as an iPod. You'll have plenty of room for music (I assume it was a 16gb 3G) AND you'll have all the nifty apps your heart desires until they're available for the Pre. Oh and added bonus, you'll save battery life on your Pre by using the iPhone as your music player. Save that juice for more important things like communicating!

I'm full of good ideas.
    Can't sold the 16gb 3G when I got the Pre. The only thing that makes this more tempting is I can get about $190 for the Pre if I sold it now. Takes a big dent out of the $ of switching back and the ETF. I don't WANT to switch back but I'm running out of reasons to tell myself to stick with the Pre...if you know what I mean.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  2. JRH
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    and if it's the video that's bothering you, I'd get a new camcorder....let's face it, cell phone video sucks and if you want some quality video of your kid...go with a device that's dedicated to video....in the long run, you'll be happy you did IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRH View Post
    and if it's the video that's bothering you, I'd get a new camcorder....let's face it, cell phone video sucks and if you want some quality video of your kid...go with a device that's dedicated to video....in the long run, you'll be happy you did IMO.
    Already have a Sony HD-SR12..that records 1080p/30fps video with Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding

The thing is you can't always run to grab the camera for those random moments. The camcorder is there for planned events, etc. But for things unexpected it's much easier to grab the phone next to you or with you (always have my phone by me). Also video quality is bearable for catching that particular moment.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    I've been using the video on my 3GS more often and it's pretty cool.

For the last couple of years I really haven't used a "real" higher quality camera but have taken over a 1000 pics of my daughter growing up using my 2G and are good enough to keep using and will keep them forever. And almost always those are those spontaneous moments you usually dont have a camera at the time and are priceless. Bigger events, there are always people with cameras to get some higher quality pics.

With the 3GS load up times are superquick to take pics and find myself going into movie mode to record those moments like tennis practice or dance class or stuff like that. And quality is as good as those flip cameras I think.

I find myself using memory and question how fast 8GB will go on the Pre once video is available.

In a couple of years we'll all be on another phone... go with what suits your needs now.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Let's face it, in twenty years, you'll forget what the problems with the phones were but you'll still wish you took the videos. That would be enough to get me to switch.
  5. JRH
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    dude...if your looking to someone to talk you out of this, I think you're out of luck...go back and get your iphone and all your problems will be solved.

done deal
    Maybe the Hero would be a viable option? It might be worth waiting until then to make your decision.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Maybe the Hero would be a viable option? It might be worth waiting until then to make your decision.
    Yes, I was considering waiting for the HTC Hero as well.
    This thread is very true. I just had my second kid(first boy) on Monday. I love this pre of mine, but I wish just like this guy that it had a video recorder. There is always those little moments when you don't have your camcorder with you. Good thing that my wife still has a centro, but she plans on getting the pixi. Hopefully, by the time that the pixi comes out, webos will have video recording.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I thought I read somewhere that someone had done a hack to get video recording to work? or did I dream it?
  10. jmf
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    What happens when you're shooting video and the iPhone rings?

jmf
    he'll want to change back within 6 months lol , when all the kinks are worked out and the updates have solved the issues lol. someone will be showing off their pre to another person and he'll over hear the convo. ,and want to kick himself for ever leaving ha ha.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    yes someone did the hack for video but so sound and some kinks still need fixing as far as i have heard
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There is no dark side. There is simply the phone or gadget that meets your needs. I've never used my phone camera or PDA camera or video camera, because of poor quality.

Now that I have the Pre, I use the Pre camera and no longer carry a backup camera. BTW, it was someone at work who told me to just use the camera on my phone. I was actually heading back to my desk to get a camera to take a picture of a poster (work contest). After I snapped it and e-mailed the photo, I became hooked.

Thus, I understand how you could use something you never thought of or had before. There is a thread here that let's you take videos.

Personally, I've never had the iPhone, but I've had an iPod for years. I saw an add yesterday that showed the nano taking videos. . I would buy that and save money that you could be spending at AT&T.
    Good question. I just tested it and like with everything else, it interrupts it.

On one hand that's cool cause I hate missing calls. On the other, if it was during a kodak moment that would suck.

But I wonder how often that will happen. Taking over 1000 pics over the last couple of years, I don't recall the phone interrupting during camera mode either.

I guess it would be cool if they changed the notification method or something. At this point, they have practically addressed most of the complaints from the past couple of years (with MMS being checked off this week), will be interesting what they have up there sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf View Post
    What happens when you're shooting video and the iPhone rings?

jmf
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    It's a shame that Palm has put people in this position. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre and don't think I could ever go back to another phone, but it is getting rediculous the waiting and wanting now. I understand we are early adopters of this phone, but I'm looking at what homebrew has done in 3 months and is amazing! I don't understand why Palm couldn't have gotten 1/4 done what Homebrew has. They KNOW they are loosing customers every day because of the lack of features that are making this phone unusable for some. You would think that their ergency would come out. At the very least let people know what features are in the works. I don't know what to tell you, all I can say is I hope we start seeing the Pre move in a positive direction a little faster than we are now. Ya ya, I know it's only been 3 months....but look around on homebrew, look what the have accomplished in three months. I hope you figure out a solution. Good luck and congrats on the new baby!!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    10 Years from now...

Kid: "Daddy, why don't we have any videos of when I was a baby?"
    MobileHavoc: "Because I was waiting for the video recording functionality to come to the Palm Pre"
    Kid: "Daddy, why didn't you just buy a dedicated pocket video camera. I read on the Internet Archive they were high quality, affordable and portable back in the 00's. Now I'll have no record of my early days to share with my own kids. It's kind of sad. Why did you wait?"
    MobileHavoc: "Um...I have a lot of stills, we can add in some sort of voice-over and animation...how'z that sound?"
    Kid: "Sounds like you cared more for your gadgets than your newborn"

Ok, I know that last line was harsh -- I don't really mean it of course -- just trying to make a point. Do what you gotta' do to get those once-in-a-lifetime videos. Don't waste time waiting and even worse, posting to these forums about it. Now go out and shoot some precious moments before they're gone!

:-)
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    The HTC Hero looks pretty amazing but since I've been with Sprint for only 3 months I'd have to pay full price which is like $450 or something ridiculous. After selling the Pre it would only be $200+ and probably no different than if I switched to AT&T (since Sprint ETF is $200).

My wife has an 8GB 3G so I can and do use that for some apps but she doesn't have video. A dedicated camcorder is not practical and I'm not going to carry it around with me wherever I go like my pocketable phone...also silly to buy a flip camera and have yet another thing to carry with me.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I agree with most of the people here, I'm not a dad, but I can't imagine letting a single device interfere with my duty to capture every little moment of cuteness my theoretic future child creates. If the 3Gs is the one that does that for you, cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    yes someone did the hack for video but so sound and some kinks still need fixing as far as i have heard
    There's no GUI for which is the biggest draw back at the moment.

I can pretty much guarantee that the homebrew crew will have something working before Palm comes out with the official stuff.
    Won't be 10 years... more like 5-7. These kids now a days are crazy smart and the things they start teaching at an early age which is cool...

All I remember from my Kindergarden is nappy time in the middle of the day after my tiny carton of milk and not doing much more than finger painting and making macaroni necklaces and grocery bag vests for Thanksgiving.

My daughter going was going through Words and Math problems easily at K. And the stuff in Pre-K and before that? Geez.

Funny post. Was a below the belt a bit... makes me wanna go out and take more pics and vids of her right now... which I think I'll do. Later.

Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    10 Years from now...

:-)