View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 225 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Are yo calling average Joe to our Palm Pre homebrew developers???? Dude, you are not only insulting Palm and the Palm Pre developers, but the whole Pre community... I can tell you most of us are really excited with our Palm Pre community, but you seem to be focusing only on the negative side of things.
    If you would have continued reading my other posts, I elaborated on that comment and said they are very talented. Average Joe meaning "I don't work for Palm, the company that DESIGNED THIS PHONE IN THE FIRST PLACE, yet here I am fixing their obvious omissions."

You don't pay to have a house built and have the contractor say "Yeah, there are lots of bricks missing. Here's a bag of bricks and a tub of cement, put the rest in yourself."

That being said by me for the last time, I love this phone. Again, best phone I've ever owned and I would NEVER trade it for an iPhone or anything else. It does serve my needs well, but being a previous Palm user, there are some very questionable omissions here - why do I have to buy Echo to sync my calendar that I kept in my Centro? Why does my calendar take time to load when I swipe to the next day? Why aren't my contacts categorizable? Why does everything have to be tied to a Palm profile that's kept somewhere externally? These things weren't an issue for me (or my dad, a Palm user for over 10 years) until the Pre came along.

I'm very thankful for the homebrew community. There are tons of great ideas that help the Pre become something far more than was imagined. But I'm complaining about some of the most basic omissions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    They added some speed improvements in 1.1 that are gone after a few hours or so of using the device and added a bunch of lag to boot in several of the programs. We got some choppy animations as well. Great idea there, the device is already laggy lets add some slow *** choppy animations to make it worse.

Scrolling is still choppy, we still have 3 -4 second lag for pictures to pop up in the photo viewer, still have lots of checker boarding, still have the same complaints about the calendar, same issues with email attachments, same speed issues with calendar, email, photos, phone etc...

Right after the update: "Device feels faster"

Few days after the update: "Still getting lots of lag"

So what updates are you guys talking about? From my perspective we are still waiting for just about all the original complaints about the device to be fixed or features added.

Palm really hasn't done much IMO. Just wait until the ignorant masses find out that most of the apps in the app store are going to be junk since Palm's SDK has neutered access to every major function on the phone. We aren't going to see Garnet style programs on the Pre because developers don't have access to the device. We aren't even going to see Iphone'esq programs either since the hardware is off limits because Palm's OS itself can't even use its own hardware properly.

Yah, Palm really hit a home run here. /sarcasm
    Let me be clear. It's POSSIBLE that this will change down the line.

But as each day passes, I'm less confident that Palm will. We're nearing 90 days out and 4 updates, and true enough...VERY LITTLE has changed.

The list of tiny things (e.g. audio scrubber, landscape email, more folder sheets for apps, making the center button actually DO SOMETHING, etc.) they could easily enable or alter is gargantuan. I mean, they could put out an update that has next to no impact on system stability adding at least 20 creature comforts that have already been unofficially hacked and/or created by homebrew. Yet...nothing. There is NO rational reason to "save" these changes and none to delay even another day.

Beyond that, there's way too much lag and choppiness that has nothing to do with multi-tasking or multiple apps open. I just closed all apps and waited 10 seconds. Then, I opened the phone app. It took 5 seconds just to bring up the call log! After the program was already opened. Flicking to scrolling produced an embarrassingly choppy scroll. Now, we're supposed to be talking the most advanced mobile hardware currently sold in America (along with the iPhone 3GS). So why does a Samsung Instinct clocked at about 1/3rd the speed of the Pre with no real onboard memory have more responsive phone functionality? I mean, seriously. I cut off messaging AND GPS on the Pre, so NOTHING was running, and it was still a joke. Inexcusable.

If there's interaction with the GPU, how is this better than any HTC phone using that same old Qualcomm 528 processor? With one firmware update on the HTC Hero, they managed to kill a lot of it's lagginess and choppiness, and this is with widgets running in the background. Sense UI is 1.0 just like WebOS is. What's the excuse?

I'm just really getting tired of the half-assedness. Didn't bother me on day one. Didn't bother me much on day 30. Started to annoy me on day 60. By day 120, if Sprint has the Instinct Q and Hero ready, I'm...likely to kiss this experience goodbye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    If you would have continued reading my other posts, I elaborated on that comment and said they are very talented. Average Joe meaning "I don't work for Palm, the company that DESIGNED THIS PHONE IN THE FIRST PLACE, yet here I am fixing their obvious omissions."

You don't pay to have a house built and have the contractor say "Yeah, there are lots of bricks missing. Here's a bag of bricks and a tub of cement, put the rest in yourself."

That being said by me for the last time, I love this phone. Again, best phone I've ever owned and I would NEVER trade it for an iPhone or anything else. It does serve my needs well, but being a previous Palm user, there are some very questionable omissions here - why do I have to buy Echo to sync my calendar that I kept in my Centro? Why does my calendar take time to load when I swipe to the next day? Why aren't my contacts categorizable? Why does everything have to be tied to a Palm profile that's kept somewhere externally? These things weren't an issue for me (or my dad, a Palm user for over 10 years) until the Pre came along.

I'm very thankful for the homebrew community. There are tons of great ideas that help the Pre become something far more than was imagined. But I'm complaining about some of the most basic omissions.
    On day one when I first got my Pre there were not homebrew apps to install, and I was impressed with what Palm gave us. The Pre as plain vanilla has so much functionality and to tell you the truth I would have been happy just like that if homebrew never existed. Now homebrew takes the Pre to a different dimension... It's like buying a Toyota corolla and every morning finding that somebody brought new add-ons for my car and left them on my garage for me to install... I mean.. wow... I can't complain at all with anything that our Palm Pre devs are doing for us. Keep in mind that Palm is cool with all the devs are doing to the Pre. If you go to Apple and buy and iPhone you will find a completely different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Probably you should take your pre back and get an iphone.

Or better yet, create your own phone that does everything exactly the way you want it. It's obvious palm can't live up to your expectations.
    GTFO with that 'go buy an iPhone' BS. People have a right to complain about a product if they so choose. Thats exactly what these forums are for.

Would you rather these forums were filled with post after post of how awesome the Pre is?
    Again, best phone I've ever owned and I would NEVER trade it for an iPhone or anything else.
    If that's the case, why should they be embarassed??

why do I have to buy Echo to sync my calendar that I kept in my Centro?
    It wasn't designed with your Centro's calendar.
    Why aren't my contacts categorizable?
    The need is (mostly) replaced by universal search.
    Why does everything have to be tied to a Palm profile that's kept somewhere externally?
    It's got to be tied to something. The "new paradigm" is external cloud rather than one particular PC.
    These things weren't an issue for me (or my dad, a Palm user for over 10 years) until the Pre came along.
    No, the PalmOS devices had their own set of issues. The Pre wasn't meant to be the "New PalmOS", or an enhanced version of it. It was meant to be an entirely new device.
    Yeah I agree that the phone lacks a few basic features and I'm a long time Palm user, but no phone is perfect and you don't buy it unless it has at least what you're willing to run with to cover your mobile necessities (phone, entertainment, personal organization, business, whatever). I'm cool with it and it's flaws cuz it does the basic things I need it to, or, I just conform and let the extras that aren't so basic balance the flaws out.

With regards to your analogy above, you don't pay to build a house and have the contractor furnish it, install the pool and do your periodical landscaping either. Other professionals (and sometimes experts in their respective fields), YOU and even your buddies chip in to help make your home you paid for a better place to live... and you spend YEARS developing and changing it to your liking....aka "home improvements"... sometimes spending only brief moments (or none at all) impressed by itz "perfection".
    ... You don't pay to have a house built and have the contractor say "Yeah, there are lots of bricks missing. Here's a bag of bricks and a tub of cement, put the rest in yourself." ...
    You're loosing me here Easy!

The house analogy would work better if you think of a "speculation house" (one built for the purpose of selling to an unknown buyer" than the "custom build" scenario you gave above. In a spec house, you build in the features that will have the greatest appeal to most buyers along with perhaps a few unique features to differentiate your house from the competition. (All this has to be done with a budget that allows you to make a profit in order to stay in business.)

That said, if the bank is breathing down your neck or you can't make payroll, you get the best you can out into the market to help the revenue side of your equation.

"Missing bricks" would be obvious, but less bricks (just enough for curb appeal) often works well. I'm sure you would agree that the builder (or any business) has to identify/analyze a particular market and build what will appeal to them. The trouble in your case, is that Palm has "let you down" by changing what product features from what you expected from them. I might have said the same thing if I didn't see merit in their strategy. I'd love to have the better PIM features that Palm is famous for, but even those features weren't all that great in my opinion. Palm recognized they need to sell "more volume" than before in order to stay in business. This means their products are going to be "mass appeal" for a while until the company is rebuilt. I guess this is where their business differs significantly from the home building business. They're more of a "commodity builder" and the end users need to customize to suit their needs. They're always be "cookie cutter" but if they allow customizability (such as usage profiles as I mentioned elsewhere) they'd be able to appeal more towards specific sets of customers. I think it will be a while before they get there. I think you might be better with a Treo in the meantime. The good news is: because your Pre has mass-market appeal, you should be able to get a good price for it on EBay!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    too bad palm people will never see your posts...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    This thread is a waste of time. If you dont like how palm is handling business, jump off. For a company trying to release a solid device, that tailors to the needs of the consumer, i think they're doing magnificent. I've had my issues dealt with quickly and efficiently. Everyone was bashing them for releasing the phone in proximity with the new iphone; if anything the move was the BEST move possible. It got the shine and recognition it wouldnt have otherwise. Of course the app catalog is going to take a bit of time. Put this launch in perspective; its been a couple of months. Palm doesnt want to **** this up and end up in a ditch they cant climb out of. Playing this entire device by ear was an incredible strategy in my opinion.

Eazy, you and many others get a kick out of making a big deal of nothing. Honestly, are you mad that independent developers are making programs for this phone while pending official approval? Isnt that indicative of some sort of external support for the phone? Have you ever thought of how many more developers will be lured into making programs for the phone once they see the amount of freedom they are given to make what they want? Application will be better and highly polished by going through the homebrew community. If you dont want to use them, then dont, please quit the *****ing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

But as each day passes, I'm less confident that Palm will. We're nearing 90 days out and 4 updates, and true enough...VERY LITTLE has changed.

The list of tiny things (e.g. audio scrubber, landscape email, more folder sheets for apps, making the center button actually DO SOMETHING, etc.) they could easily enable or alter is gargantuan. I mean, they could put out an update that has next to no impact on system stability adding at least 20 creature comforts that have already been unofficially hacked and/or created by homebrew. Yet...nothing. There is NO rational reason to "save" these changes and none to delay even another day.

Beyond that, there's way too much lag and choppiness that has nothing to do with multi-tasking or multiple apps open. I just closed all apps and waited 10 seconds. Then, I opened the phone app. It took 5 seconds just to bring up the call log! After the program was already opened. Flicking to scrolling produced an embarrassingly choppy scroll. Now, we're supposed to be talking the most advanced mobile hardware currently sold in America (along with the iPhone 3GS). So why does a Samsung Instinct clocked at about 1/3rd the speed of the Pre with no real onboard memory have more responsive phone functionality? I mean, seriously. I cut off messaging AND GPS on the Pre, so NOTHING was running, and it was still a joke. Inexcusable.

If there's interaction with the GPU, how is this better than any HTC phone using that same old Qualcomm 528 processor? With one firmware update on the HTC Hero, they managed to kill a lot of it's lagginess and choppiness, and this is with widgets running in the background. Sense UI is 1.0 just like WebOS is. What's the excuse?

I'm just really getting tired of the half-assedness. Didn't bother me on day one. Didn't bother me much on day 30. Started to annoy me on day 60. By day 120, if Sprint has the Instinct Q and Hero ready, I'm...likely to kiss this experience goodbye.
    This is an interesting debate. But the above post seems to have been overlooked. I think mikah912 brings up some valid 'real' world performance issues.

As a non techie who is interested in performance and functionality I'm dismayed that the device does not come equipped with basic functions like notification lights, text forwarding, video recording, a robust selection of ringers and alerts to assign, a much stronger battery and VOICE DIALING.

Reluctantly, I returned the Palm Pre, though I had grown fond of it and the game changing WebOs, because I could not reconcile not having these luxuries that are found in most other devices in Sprint's lineup.

For $299 I want the luxury of walking into my office or bedroom and glancing at my phone from across the room to see if I've missed a message or call. For $299 I want the luxury to be able to get through a heavy usage day on ONE battery charge. For $299 I want the luxury to press a button on my bluetooth (or from the phone) and say "dial Sarah" and get a confirmation from my cell phone. For $299 I want the luxury to video record my baby son's first steps to send to my mom. For $299 I want the luxury of being able to forward a business (or personal) text message to multiple contacts.

So basically I'm frustrated at Palm/Sprint for not providing these functions out of the box because, like many of you posting in this thread, I'd become seduced by the Pre's revolutionary offerings. I didn't want to give it up. Either commandeer my nephew's Samsung Rant in order to get the functionality I needed or return the Pre for a device that met my every day needs. So I now have a Blackberry which is beautiful and performs admirably.

I await with great faith for the Palm updates that will ultimately find me exchanging or opening another line of service!!

I'm sure a pristine Blackberry Tour will fetch handsomely on Ebay.
    ...and although I returned (temporarily I hope) my Palm Pre, I think this is an exciting time for Palm and the smartphone universe.
    Good post, Easy. To all blind Palm loyalists that will tell me and others to get out of here & buy an iphone or blackberry, I was one of you which is why I bought my Pre. I still like Palm better & when I bought my 755p, I was amazed at all it could do & spent my time customizing it for my use. The converse is true with the Pre. I am sure that like others have said they were running out of sheckles & needed to release the phone but while I admire the talent of Aonic & others who have released My Tether, My Notification Quick Text & other home brews, these things shouldn't have been necessary. I couldn't wait for the phone to be released but quite frankly it has turned into a bigger project than it should have. My blind loyalty has turned into loyalty only & it will be up to Palm and their updates in the next few months whether that is maintained.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Ok, I'll bite. I have been a palm user for ages (pre-treo) and a converged device user since they were invented. (Kyocera 7135-palm phone, a series of treos, a winmo Moto Q, a bunch of BB's). Every single one of these benefited from 3rd party applications that suited MY use of the phone. I used replacement calendars on all my Palm based products, 3rd party sync solutions on my BB's, and addon's for customization and added functionality on everything.

Sure, there are a couple of things I wish my Pre did out of the box. BB, WinMo, and iPhone have the advantage of loads of apps being out there already. The Pre is just as capable out of the box as anything else out there. There are some tweaks and preferences we would all like addressed and they are not the same for all of us. The development community has been moving relatively quickly due to Palm's openness with the OS. I think we will all get what we want with a bit of patience. When the Treo first came out, Palm apps had been in development by 3rd parties for a long while. Even Windows Mobile had PDA's prior to their phones that developers had been working with.

We are still in the early days of this phone and WebOS and I can customize the home screens (MyHomepage), I can tether (MyTether), I can read ebooks (Shortcovers), I can access the gps for custom apps like Geocache Locator, and I can add over 100 other apps through homebrew.

So far- I am impressed. I look forward to more.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    For $299 I want the luxury of walking into my office or bedroom and glancing at my phone from across the room to see if I've missed a message or call. For $299 I want the luxury to be able to get through a heavy usage day on ONE battery charge. For $299 I want the luxury to press a button on my bluetooth (or from the phone) and say "dial Sarah" and get a confirmation from my cell phone. For $299 I want the luxury to video record my baby son's first steps to send to my mom. For $299 I want the luxury of being able to forward a business (or personal) text message to multiple contacts.
    The question is, why did you spend $299 on a phone without reading any of the reviews or playing with it at a Sprint store/Best Buy? None of these things are advertised features....
    Quote Originally Posted by nowise View Post
    The question is, why did you spend $299 on a phone without reading any of the reviews or playing with it at a Sprint store/Best Buy? None of these things are advertised features....
    I think you beat me to it.
    I come in on this with the perspective of history (13 years of PalmOS, dating back to the Pilot 1000) and intense use (>8500 memos, for example), and perhaps a bit of obvious bias (Palm named me a Real Reviewer and has lent me a Pre). My take: I agree that the Pre wasn't quite "baked" when it came out; I suspect Palm was rushed by its financial position, the expected new iPhone and its own promise to release in 1st half 2009. The hardware needed a few tweaks (notably the slipping batteries), the software was a bit shaky, and the developer support was barely in place, which made for the biggest competitive public problem, the lack of apps in the App Catalog. My own biggest complaint was not Palm's fault per se: the lack of memo sync support in Exchange ActiveSync and Google's cloud, the two standard industry technologies adopted by Palm. To its credit, Palm has ramped up developer support sharply, tweaked the hardware, and quickly pushed out 3 or 4 minor fixes and a point release that added significant EAS features in response to business demand.

September promises to be a key month on the apps side, as the AppCatalog (reportedly) will get a major upgrade in offerings, and over the next few months, a GSM Pre and perhaps the Eos may expand WebOS into a true *platform* rather than a 1 carrier, 1 device existence. For myself, I'm very pleased with the Pre as it stands now, although I still need memo support and have been begging Palm to add Bluetooth keyboard support, the only feature for which I might have to charge up my old TX during the upcoming semester.

One final thought: Palm has ALWAYS encouraged and benefitted from 3rd party development, much of which served to guide Palm into adding needed features. From Hackmaster and its OS hacks (many of which became features, like tapped drop-down menus) to MS Office sync to external keyboards, 3rd party "homebrew" and commercial apps led the way. The fact that, with the Pre and WebOS, Palm has specifically chosen an open-source, developer-friendly model rather than Apple's closed, controlled approach is the best indication that Palm values innovation and the varied needs of its users, and understands that for success, the Pre needs to be more than just Palm can make it. {ProfJonathan}
    I bought apps for everything on my old Treo and all of the iPhone adds tout, "there's an app for that." I don't care if Palm fixes the stuff or an app gives me the flexibility. The Palm Pre gives the user and the dev the freedom to think of what's possible and make it happen.

Some of the Dev's are building, apps for the app catalog, some are just practices, but I don't see a reason for embarrassment. I'm just glad to be part of such an open and helping forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Like you, i was on here since Jan singing Palm's praises most of the time. The demos were awesome. Unlike you, i was a Palm user of many years but had left for the iphone the past year.

When the Pre first came out, i had miserable luck in getting one that worked. After a short break, i bought another at BB for the heck of it. Bought some touchstones, put one in car, etc.

As you said, the lag is horrible.

I wanted to like the new Palm and go all in but i can't. I certainly tried by integrating it into the car, using Homebrew, rooting it, etc. At the end of the day though it's still a half baked experience compared with the iphone. I've lost so much faith in Palm that i sold my stock for a gain a month ago and reinvested it in Apple and advised my clients to do the same.

Because its too much like the old Palm. Lack of focus, bad marketing, no clear sense of why they do what they do, and leaving too many details to the wind hoping 3rd party apps address them.

1. Palm has shown in the past that they have no sense of marketing. They continue to show this in astounding ways. Surprising given the new hires. Yet even a few cheerleaders loved the new commercials. It just shows out of touch they are.

2. Palm's lack of focus. It's a phone Palm. And a very poor one.

3. EOS. This is dumb. IMO, the Pre is the beginner/consumer smartphone. A lesser specced cheaper candybar version?? Nope, Palm should go for a Pro style specced up candybar phone and compete with RIM. Not surprisingly, i'm sure there's a few on here who think the EOS is somehow a good idea.

4. Palm's lack of hardware quality. I'll have to exchange my Pre for the 6th time soon. It's cheap. It's an insult to the processor to be housed in it.

5. Finally Palm continues to fail to grasp that people are not techies. They don't want 3rd party solutions for every little standardized feature. Homebrew is only a solution for a small fraction of Pre users. The target customer for this device wants it to work out of the box. Palm's default method of managing media involves using a competitor's desktop app for a half baked experience that might or might not work in the future.

Palm, in the time of .99 apps, you can't get away with offering 3rd party apps at 30+ dollars to do your job any longer. Not for a consumer phone. What in the world was i thinking a month or two ago of buying a Chapura app to do something as basic as sync to Outlook?? 30 dollars palm? Really? This is 2009.

Say what you want about the iphone and its closed system and more expensive AT&T but after factoring in apps, its cheaper than owning a Pre. Native iphone apps don't need major updates. No lag. Don't have to buy expensive apps to provide standard features. Apple knows its market and everything they do makes sense. Want Slingbox, Kindle, facebook, or other popular apps? It's been there already. There's really no reason to be in a forum with an iphone except to see rumors about new updates.

While at Palm, its "new to the smartphone world" users are foaming at the mouth awaiting updates that some hope might help them bring up the phone app in less than 20 seconds. Even more incredible are those wanting video recording, voice activation, 3D gaming, etc given how laggy and half baked the OS is.

I'm sure the usual Pre cheerleaders will chime in. I know the Pre looks great compared to Treo or other Sprint dumbphones they've owned, but these guys live in their little world just mesmerized by a little eye candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm, in the time of .99 apps, you can't get away with offering 3rd party apps at 30+ dollars to do your job any longer. Not for a consumer phone. What in the world was i thinking a month or two ago of buying a Chapura app to do something as basic as sync to Outlook?? 30 dollars palm? Really? This is 2009.

Say what you want about the iphone and its closed system and more expensive AT&T but after factoring in apps, its cheaper than owning a Pre. Native iphone apps don't need major updates. No lag. Don't have to buy expensive apps to provide standard features. Apple knows its market and everything they do makes sense. Want Slingbox, Kindle, facebook, or other popular apps? It's been there already. There's really no reason to be in a forum with an iphone except to see rumors about new updates.

While at Palm, its "new to the smartphone world" users are foaming at the mouth .
    Who wants .99 cent apps? I want unique and useful apps. And I certainly don't mind developers making a living from writing said apps....99 cents? Whose living on that? FYI your sling box app is $29.99 for the iphone...and seriously, what are you saying? The Pre sucks that I should get an Iphone?

Its way too early and there are only a few priced apps, for you to say anything remotely like "Say what you want about the iphone and its closed system and more expensive AT&T but after factoring in apps its cheaper than the Pre" shows me how little you know. Seriously that was idiotic. Fine I get it, you don't like what palm has done here. Whats your need to convince us?
    However since you've lost so much faith in Palm that i sold my stock for a gain a month ago and reinvested it in Apple and advised my clients to do the same.
    I wonder if you've gone as far as to short palms stock? I guess that would at least be a reason to hang around a forum for a device you clearly loathe.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/24/2009 at 08:41 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I'd say these are embarrassing times for the iphone fanboys. How could a company less than 1% the size of Apple come out with a 1.0 device that is worlds better than their 1.0 iphone ever was and will most certainly end up being better than their 3.0 device by the end of its first year of existence.

Thats got to hurt.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011