View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 38 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888138 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    You can get a refurbished 2G Touch for $150 from apple. Cheaper than an ETF, you can Tether it to your Pre and you don't get ripped off by AT&T.
    go to craigslist or ebay...buy a used itouch....if they are advanced to provide stuff for that phone, they better have wifi, use that instead of crap ATT service. Its only time b4 Pre med apps come out.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    No offense to anyone anywhere, but I kind of have a problem with a school REQUIRING the purchase of a specific brand of device. I know it has been done before, but it just gets under my skin. *sigh*
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Maybe you could fabricate some sort of mobile device bandoleer and wear it under your scrubs. Then having two devices with you won't be as big of an annoyance.
    Actually, urban tools has a ton of stuff like this. I personally rock a slotBar that olds my aspire one, pre, and mp3 player.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I got the 32gb touch and sold my gen 1 touch already. Software is pretty good, much better and faster than on the old palm Tx.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    No offense to anyone anywhere, but I kind of have a problem with a school REQUIRING the purchase of a specific brand of device. I know it has been done before, but it just gets under my skin. *sigh*
    in some cases the device they request is superior to the competition. in other cases, the school has a partnership so by guaranteeing they sell a certain number, they get something in return.

i can't tell which is case here bc iphone has been on its own for 2 years but we are at a point where its not alone anymore.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    in some cases the device they request is superior to the competition. in other cases, the school has a partnership so by guaranteeing they sell a certain number, they get something in return.

i can't tell which is case here bc iphone has been on its own for 2 years but we are at a point where its not alone anymore.
    to be fair the school was pushing the Itouch not the Iphone. I was considering the Iphone so I wouldn't have to carry two devices. I think they went this way because a lot of students were complaining about the old palms plus its not like they are very popular these days, accessories and stuff are probably hard to find at local stores. Plus i figured that it would be a device the students could also use for personal fun.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post

I'm with you on this, but as a college prof (not medicine, but math, so we have plenty of technology to deal with also), I can also see the other side. We are at a place in time where educational technology is really taking off. Even 5 years ago, there were still large pockets of resistance to using technology in education. Now, since the field is exploding, there are too many different platforms and systems for instructors and administrators to be able to keep up with and support quickly.

In every class, some goofus (NOTE: our OP is NOT the goofus here, but my 20+ years of experience tells me that every class has one, and so our OP probably is going to encounter some in class) is going to eat up valuable class time because s/he can't figure out the technology, and the time spent answering that student's questions will detract from time that could be spent teaching subject matter. This penalize the other students who have things under control. If everyone is using the same technology, it minimizes the time the prof has to spend on helping students get over their technology issues, so s/he can get back to the real business at hand, which is teaching subject matter. And in the worst case, if the goofus has fubared, there's often a spare piece of equipment somewhere that can be swapped out on the fly, so that the class can keep progressing, the technology problem can be addressed after class is finished, and the rest of the students aren't penalized.

You might say that it's the student's responsibility to make sure to understand the technology, and I'd agree with you up to a point, but in a classroom situation, the prof really does have some responsibility to make sure the students are on the right track. And even if the instructor doesn't have that responsibility, it's just not practical to expect students to be perfectly up to speed on the technology. Students are human, and mistakes happen. And learning is not a perfect science. Problems are going to come up. We need to find ways to ensure that time spent on technology issues is minimzed, so that time spent on content is maximized. As a prof who is also a consumer of our health care system, I WANT my doctors to have as much experience learning and mastering medicine as possible. Operating systems, not so much.

Sorry -- I hope this isn't hijacking the original thread too far. Admins, please let me know if so, and I promise that I'll sit on my hands.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I see your point but the tech we use isn't really for class, we use laptops for lecture, they are used for clinical rotations amd lab. We need the ability to access info fast and on the fly, the handheld helps in that respect. We are actually lucky, one of the computer engineering grad students was hired as a tech just for our transition to the Itouch, he has regular office hours and usually answers questions via email in minutes. I must say, the director of the program really did think this one through.

PS. the dufus you speak of is the one who can't figure out standerd dev using excel, seen a few of those.
    I'm thinking you should get that touch, and consider just using myTether off your Pre to provide wi-fi access for it, or a MiFi 2200. I'm not sure about in your area, but in mine, I'd rather pay Sprint the extra money for an aircard over getting an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    You should try picking up a cheap 8GB iTouch off eBay. The are lots of 'em out there thanks to the free iPod promotion from Apple.
    So i went in to swap my original pre since the speaker was going in and out, well everything was fine they gave me my swapped phone and i had no issues i went home and continued my day then all the sudden the phone was laggy i powered it down and tried turning it back on..that never happened the phone never turned on. The next day i went to the sprint store to see if they could get it working but they couldnt get it on so they gave me yet another pre only thing is this time after signing in to my palm profile none of my contacts are there. So i spent all day with sprint on the phone and in the store trying to figure how to get them back eventually being told that i am basically screwed. Now my 3rd pre that i have is shorting out if i open the phone to hard and by to hard i mean normal for everyone this phone apparently wants you to be super delicate with it haha but needless to say i am very frustrated at this point and just wish i had my contacts back.
    Have you tried logging into your palm account from their website?

You may get better esults with recovering you contacts by calling Palm. Just make sure you have your profile login ready.
    well i did that, sprint transferred me to palm who then transfered me to palm technical support who then transferred me to Level 3 support which was useless they said their engineers would look into it which i thought was a damn joke. after spending nearly 6 hours on the phone between sprint and palm im a very unhappy customer
    If you ever synced with Google or Microsoft Outlook in the past you should still be able to recover your contacts.
    I had a similar issue with the slide, my phone would just shut off sometimes. What you oughta try is take the back off, pop the battery out, and put a piece of paper towel folded over underneath the battery. Sprint recognizes the phone shutting off as a problem caused by excess wiggle room in the battery compartment.

I can't imagine why your contacts would disappear like that, but here's my suggestion... as much as Sprint/Palm/any business hates it, threaten to leave their product for something else (ie the Hero, or if you're really a traitor, something on ATT or VZW.) Tell them they either need to get your contacts or some kind of compensation or you're done. Its a **** move, but losing your contacts is a big deal.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    i understand, and i would be upset as well definately. i had wi-fi probs with my pre and i can say one thing. after going through level 3 tech, they couldn't fix the problem and said they would call me back the next day at a time we agreed to. i couldn't believe it, but they did and we got my wi-fi issue resolved. so don't give up yet, hopefully they will find your data and get it to you somehow...
    Since the pre-lovers just made a thread, here's ours ..........
    Ehhh...what's the point of either thread? There's plenty of opportunity to enthuse about or criticize the Pre in the context of every other thread topic. Why whine or gush just for the sake of doing so?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Post this on the iPhone site. It might work.