View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    197 70.36%
  • No

    40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

    37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

    28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777127 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 4493
  1. #521  
    I quit following the Palm Pre forum due to all the griping. The posts by the people enjoying their phones are in the Home Brew forum.

    For those of you that don't like your Pre, do something about it or get an iphone.
  2. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    And they all seem to have one thing in common - they see the glass half empty in most situations. I've found that people like that tend to learn the hard way.
    Yes. The learn that voicing an opinion on a product contributes to problems being addressed. And being complacent results in things staying exactly the same, bugs and all.
  3. #523  
    Sorry, I have to disappoint on the sarcasm, hate, and contradiction fronts, but some of us have qualms with functions that the Pre WAS advertised to possess and that it actually does, albeit less than optimally.

    Sure, we could be quiet and say nothing, but then Palm would take no steps to fix it, much like it took a massive Internet and retail bellyache for them to make a simple physical fix to the slider/battery shutdown issue. Meanwhile, this thread will inevitably simply attract more of the comments you are so tired of reading, and so you have only succeeded in sustaining that which vexes you.
  4. #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Yes. The learn that voicing an opinion on a product contributes to problems being addressed. And being complacent results in things staying exactly the same, bugs and all.
    Actually the problems get addressed anyway, and the complainer usually moves on to something else or finds something new to complain about.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  5. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #525  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ahhh, so a developer that writes software that renders graphics fast enough (for that package) hasn't "overcome the hurdle"? Or the one that that writes code that's complex enough that he's not worried about protection, has he not "overcome that hurdle". My point is that anyone that writes software for the Pre, and makes money at it, is overcoming the hurdles that you keep saying are keeping people from writing for it.
    Maybe the problem is your understanding. Nobody has cracked the barrier of high speed graphics rendering (>30 FPS for even a mildly complex scene at full resolution). It's not technically possible with the current SDK.

    You cannot protect javascript source code. You can obfuscate it, but because it's an interpreted language, anyone with debugger skills can get to the source code. Whether it's complex code or not is irrelevant. The problem is that competing developers and any hacker can get easy access to your intellectual property. That is a serious concern, and it makes it impossible to release competition sensitive or proprietary code. Not only is this a problem for my own apps, but it scares off development clients as well. Developers invest a lot of time, effort, and money into apps, and do not want the source code ripe for the taking.

    Yes, low hurdles (web app level) can be overcome on this platform. That doesn't help those of us shooting for more complex applications or trying to release an application with intellectual property sensitivity.


    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, to avoid confusion, I'll ask a simple question, are you currently developing applications for the Pre? Since you seem to think there's a "record" involved, a simple yes or no would be great...
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I do paint you as an anti-webOS anti-Pre Apple-supporter because that is the way you come off. Now, if you will point me to a post or two of yours where you actually helped someone with a problem they were having with their Pre, or writing code or it, or using it, I'd change my opinion. However, when all I see from you are posts making sure not only to inform everyone else how inferior the Pre is, but to impugn the knowledge, integrity, or experience of anyone that disagrees with your opinions, then I'll call 'em as I see 'em.
    I do not agree with this artificial tunnel vision you wish to impose on me. As I mentioned before, it's both acceptable and important for qualified developers to critique a software platform they have an interest in. It serves to drive the platform forward. If that bothers you, then you need to put your emotions aside and try to be more objective. I cannot pretend that some of the major issues in the webOS SDK are OK, or be a cheerleader. This is no different than the stance I take on Apple when they need to improve something about their platform.
    Last edited by s219; 09/03/2009 at 12:08 AM.
  6. #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Two different discussions, but nice try at conflating. Discussion #1: Major developers ignoring the Pre is bad. Discussion #2: Objective flaws on the device itself.

    Is it really that confusing?
    Nope, not at all. However, it's disingenuous to change what I said, and then pretend that's what we were both talking about.

    My exact quote was "it's a little egocentric to believe that what consitutes a "major flaw" for you is "objectively" so". Changing it, leaving out "major" makes it a different statement, one I didn't make.

    And it is germaine to the discussion. You think these things are major. If you're correct, it probably is an embarrassment to Palm. Others do not think they are major. Seveal of them have said so on here. For them, there is no embarassment.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Actually, I paraphrased since you didn't seem to know the definition of MULTIPLE words. A direct quote would be grammatically incorrect, not to mention nerdier.
    And, one of your typical "civil" comebacks where you insult because you don't like what's said.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Add "rant" to the list of words you should really look up.
    I have, it fits. BTW, I think you ended that sentence in a preposition...
  7. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #527  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    For the "record":

    Now please, clear it up if you want and say that you are (or aren't) currently developing for the Pre, but drop the nonsense that I'm "manufacturing" this stuff.
    My inference may have been incorrect, but it was reasonable.

    That really just reinforces my point. These are show stopper issues that are preventing release of our apps on this platform. Upon raising the issue with Palm, the reply I got is that they are aware of the problem. They recommended obfuscation, but also admitted it wasn't a rigorous solution.

    My point remains that we can develop for this platform, but until Palm sorts out some of the issues, our time is better spent targeting iPhone.
  8. #528  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope, not at all. However, it's disingenuous to change what I said, and then pretend that's what we were both talking about.

    My exact quote was "it's a little egocentric to believe that what consitutes a "major flaw" for you is "objectively" so". Changing it, leaving out "major" makes it a different statement, one I didn't make.
    WTF? Do I have to take a screenshot of this very page we're on now? Scroll to the top. Go ahead. First post. I just reproduced your quote with "major" intact, and in the original post however many pages back, I explicitly refer to MAJOR in saying that it being major or minor isn't important because I'm not discussing a subjective flaw.

    You're demonstrably wrong, buddy. I didn't leave out anything.

    And it is germaine to the discussion. You think these things are major. If you're correct, it probably is an embarrassment to Palm. Others do not think they are major. Seveal of them have said so on here. For them, there is no embarassment.
    .....

    I...just give on this tangent. I can explain no further.

    And, one of your typical "civil" comebacks where you insult because you don't like what's said.
    Dear lord, how thin-skinned can one person be? You YOURSELF called it "pitiful" that you know the quote from memory. Afterward, I call it "nerdy", and I'm lobbing an insult? Unless you're referring to me correctly noting that it would be grammatically incorrect to use a quote verbatim referring to the singular "word" for plural "words"?....

    ...Look, hparsons. Real talk...it's late, and between explaining grammar, word definitions, dismissing your straw man arguments (Still waiting for you to produce proof of me starting multiple threads or hijacking them on this subject...)....I'm tired, buddy.

    No harm, no foul, no worries. Sorry if your feelings were at all hurt. Have a good night. Let's talk about something Pre-related and waaaaaaaay more interesting tomorrow, ok?
  9. #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    That really just reinforces my point. These are show stopper issues that are preventing release of our apps on this platform. Upon raising the issue with Palm, the reply I got is that they are aware of the problem. They recommended obfuscation, but also admitted it wasn't a rigorous solution.

    My point remains that we can develop for this platform, but until Palm sorts out some of the issues, our time is better spent targeting iPhone.
    Ok so in one comment, you said you are developing apps which to me (and I could be wrong)would imply they are in progress. Then in another you said you have interest in developing. And then you said something is preventing from releasing the Apps. Then here you said you can develop but......

    So which is it? Are there apps currently being developed in the pipeline or not? Your stance is kinda confusing.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  10. #530  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Maybe the problem is your understanding. Nobody has cracked the barrier of high speed graphics rendering (>30 FPS for even a mildly complex scene at full resolution). It's not technically possible.
    Am I not mistaken? Didn't Palm include an API to play videos?

    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    ...
    You cannot protect javascript source code. You can obfuscate it, but because it's an interpreted language, anyone with debugger skills can get to the source code.
    ...
    Yes, you've said that before. Isn't part of the purpose of obfuscating to protect the code? At this point, you're chnging the meaning of "protect". It may be impossible to protect it to your standards, but it's not impossible to protect it. Also, as we both know, compiled code can also be decompiled by anyone with the proper skills. Even hand-assembled code was routinely reverse-engineered by those with the skills "back in the old days".

    I am glad you are currently developing for the Pre. I will refrain from saying differently in the future, but maybe you could help out those of us that are trying to intelligently read your posts, by not things like "No matter how I reason it or do the math, it doesn't make sense to divert our time/effort to the platform.". It's sorta confusing, unless you want us to believe you're doing things that don't make sense...

    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I do not agree with this artificial tunnel vision you wish to impose on me. As I mentioned before, it's both acceptable and important for qualified developers to critique a software platform they have an interest in. It serves to drive the platform forward. If that bothers you, then you need to put your emotions aside and try to be more objective. I cannot pretend that some of the major issues in the webOS SDK are OK, or be a cheerleader. This is no different than the stance I take on Apple when they need to improve something about their platform.
    You may not agree with it, but it's my view. You may think it's important to critique, but when that is all a person does, offering nothing in the way of help, or positive remarks. Obviously, there is something there, or you wouldn't be developing for the device. However, to read your posts on here, it definitely sounds like an individual out to blast the device at every opportunity, often presenting pesonal opinions as if they were facts.
  11. #531  
    Quote Originally Posted by lyncha View Post
    Why are there so many posts about people hating their pre's?
    The same reason you started this thread. People like to rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyncha View Post
    Why are their expectations so friggin' high?
    Because Iphones and Blackberries already set the bar high.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyncha View Post
    Why do people by phones without a video recorder and then gripe about the fact that it does not have a video recorder.
    Because it's common for advanced consumer electronics to get updates that add features. History has taught users to expect updates. And the high bar setting competition just added that very capability as a free update.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyncha View Post
    I mean, it's similar to ordering a hamburger and then complaining that it does not have cheese.
    Logically, I do not think it is analogous. Updates to electronics purchases are common with things like computer software of which Palm's WebOS is merely a small computer software platform. Windows/Mac OS constantly release small updates after the program is sold. By contrast, When you order a hamburger it is not common or expected that the seller of that hamburger will come and add enhancements to your burger. Not to mention updates to software on phones is normally free. Cheese is a typically a paid addition to a hamburger.
  12. #532  
    Seriously, your car doesn't turn into a robot? Fail.
  13. #533  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    WTF? Do I have to take a screenshot of this very page we're on now? Scroll to the top. Go ahead. First post. I just reproduced your quote with "major" intact, and in the original post however many pages back, I explicitly refer to MAJOR in saying that it being major or minor isn't important because I'm not discussing a subjective flaw.

    You're demonstrably wrong, buddy. I didn't leave out anything.
    Really, go look up straw man. I was talking about "major flaws" (which is why I used the word "major"). Yes, you quoted me, then dismissed the "major" part saying it wasn't germaine to the discussion. Then attacked my comments, demonstrating what were flaws.

    My point wasn't that there were no flaws. My point was that they weren't major. You changed my argument, then went to prove that the changed argument was wrong. That is exactly what a straw man attack was.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Dear lord, how thin-skinned can one person be? You YOURSELF called it "pitiful" that you know the quote from memory. Afterward, I call it "nerdy", and I'm lobbing an insult? Unless you're referring to me correctly noting that it would be grammatically incorrect to use a quote verbatim referring to the singular "word" for plural "words"?....
    Strikes one and two. See if you can find the phrase with the emphasized word (and I didn't emphasiz it...)
    Actually, I paraphrased since you didn't seem to know the definition of MULTIPLE words. A direct quote would be grammatically incorrect, not to mention nerdier.
    Yep, know the definition of words, even multiple words. You seem to think though, that someone disagreeing with you makes them less knowledgable or ignorant.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No harm, no foul, no worries. Sorry if your feelings were at all hurt. Have a good night. Let's talk about something Pre-related and waaaaaaaay more interesting tomorrow, ok?
    I'd be a bit difficult to really get my feelings hurt by a bunch of words typed by a stranger on a forum. But hey, if dismissing the thoughts of others serves to build yourself up, feel free.
  14. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Seriously, your car doesn't turn into a robot? Fail.
    Mine does, but it has a bug and now it's stuck in robot mode.

    It's so hard to drive
  15. Diviance's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #535  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    PS. My Lexus cup holder is too small.
    Amen brother, my mazda's cup holder is too small to hold two cups. Curse you japanese car makers!
  16. #536  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Mine does, but it has a bug and now it's stuck in robot mode.

    It's so hard to drive

    thanks, needed a good laugh today.
  17. #537  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Mine does, but it has a bug and now it's stuck in robot mode.

    It's so hard to drive
    You should totally trade it in like i did and just get a robot dinosaur. That said they can be hard to ride and quite unruly in dinosaur mode. Although, my old car used to talk and say, "Door is adjar". Dinosaur won't shut the hell up. Anybody know what the **** a Grimlock is?
  18. #538  
    My car turns into a Pre..... But it still won't voice dial.
  19. #539  
    "I mean, this phone does everything it was advertised to do."

    Tell that to the Canadians
  20. #540  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    You should totally trade it in like i did and just get a robot dinosaur. That said they can be hard to ride and quite unruly in dinosaur mode. Although, my old car used to talk and say, "Door is adjar". Dinosaur won't shut the hell up. Anybody know what the **** a Grimlock is?
    My wife's brand new company-owned Ford does that. I talk back to it "Stupid car, it's a door, not a jar". My wife rolls her eyes. It's sort of a ritual with us...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions