View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930313676126 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    So tt looks like my absence from this thread hasn't killed it. It is amusing though to see you (hparsons) accused of "presenting assumptions as facts". I really do admire your blind faith in the paltform. While I do not rule out some compelling 3rd party apps I am not as optimistic as you.
    Excellent. Except that you're assuming too much when you talk about "blind faith", but hey, it suits your purpose, so it must be so.

As far as the "compelling 3rd party apps", I guess we'll know soon enough. I'm sure you'll have a whole new excuse if you happen to be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Subjective? It is OBJECTIVELY true that Skype, Facebook, and Shazam are big-name apps that are popular across multiple platforms. For those developers to be sitting out WebOS even with an SDK out...that says something. Something NOT good.

I scratch my head at people who say "Well, I don't use these services, so their importance is subjective."
    You missed my point, but in reality, while you may scratch your head, that is exactly what makes them subjective. They aren't important to me, so they are not universally important. Subjective means it's an individual's evaluation.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, instead of ranting and railing and threating to get whatever the cheapest hottest dumb phone is today that doesn't have that problem, or opening up a new thread daily about the flaw and hijacking every thread possible into how stupid that was, I took a different route. I trained my fingers to wait a second instead of the half second I trained them on with the Treo.

You might call that "docile", but I think my solution has been more effective than yours.
    Oh my, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT, Palm NEEDS to fix that right now. All my other phones never did that. I made the erroneous assumption that a company such as Palm would never make such a blunder. If they don't fix that, it's all over. It's not about priorities, it's about what needs to get done.

I like other things about the phone, but I aim high. If they can't solve that 'objective' flaw I'm jumping ship. Don't be docile mean, speak up, hit the forums and rant as much as you can till they fix it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    So tt looks like my absence from this thread hasn't killed it.
    It just hit me what you said... "Absence". What are you talking about. Your last post on here was less than 12 hours ago:

I think they will need to come clean eventually. The lack of any announcement to date does little to enhance confidence in the platform.
    Do you really somehow imagine that your "absence" from a thread for 12 hours is all it takes to kill it?

AMAZING
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    What separates the excellent products from average products are the little details, and the nitpicks, and getting stuff perfect.
    I guess sire , you are indeed hell bent on finding faults with Pre
    What on earth is an excellent mobile phone ?

iPhone , yeah right , took two years to get that cut and paste , and still no multitasking.Antiqued User interface with "click center button" for switching between APPS !!!! REAAAAALLY .
    And where can I put my SD card ? Only recently with 3GS the speed improved.

Storm , nuff said of the ALIEN technology aka "surepress", and don't get me started on the browser and whats up with not having the wifi ?

Regular Blackberries , oh well what can they do better other than email ? small screen i.e. < 3 inch , and horrible browser. No Touchscreen. And the puny trackball, my boss replaced three of them in two years.

WinMos Reboot, use it, Reboot, use it, Reboot, use it and that "LAG"

Nokia , hmm when do they get the UI right, and improve software.

Andriod , hmm mix of everything, but slow.

I donot want to talk about those Samsung cooked OS for Instink.

Get real, okay,
    I am game for finding faults with any phone you throw at me.

Pre is not perfect and so are many other phones.
    So if you find faults with pre, sure, there are going to be faults.
    But bear in mind , majority of the folks are happy with it.

Its like cars , you can buy Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda, Kia or Smart.
    All they do is move you from point A to point B. Arguing that ferrari is better than that "smart" car is foolish. Not always the highest sold vehicle is the best vehicle, not always the cheapest car is the worst car. And not always the expensive car is the best car.
    Like was mentioned earlier, maybe you're a hero for your "civil discourse". Sad that you think it's so, but I suppose that says more about you than anything else.
    BTW, it's also a little egocentric to believe that what consitutes a "major flaw" for you is "objectively" so.

I have my issues with the Pre, but I'm not so myopic as to believe they are major issues for everyone. As far as "accepting" - I'm at a loss as how to understand how giving Palm (through Sprint) your money isn't accepting the "flaws", and insulting those that don't have a problem with them somehow is standing up against said "flaws"...
    Quibbling over whether a flaw is major or minor isn't germane. But establishing what objectively is a flaw is.

So let's take a stab.

1) Dropping frames in the animations with no apps pulling on the memory. How can this objectively NOT be a flaw? Palm obviously didn't put a 600mhz processor and multitasking so that rendering a popup is a chore. It not bothering you is irrelevant. It doesn't work the way Palm intended, so it's functionally flawed.
    2) Menus not being applicable to the program they reside in. Again, there's NO WAY you can rationalize that Palm "meant" for this to be the case. It's a sloppy mistake. It not being an issue for you is irrelevant. It is a flaw.
    3) The Web browser constantly checkerboarding or half-rendering a page and forcing you to turn it to landscape mode and back to finish the render. Bugs. Flaws. Whatever. You can live with it? Awesome. Still a flaw.

As far as me "accepting" the flaws...that can be changed very quickly by reselling the Pre. When I have decided enough is enough, I will do it in a skinny minute. And I won't create a dumb "Why I dropped the Pre thread."

You know what my single biggest gripe about the Pre is? The placement of the call button and hangup buttons on the phone app. When they're both in the same place like that it's begging for trouble. If there is any phone lag in the app after you hit the green call button, and you make the mistake of thinking the lag is really the phone still waiting for you to hit green call button and you press it again, you end up hanging up the call you just made. Who in the world would make an idiotic design blunder like that. I'd take my Pre back and start using my Treo again ... except the Treo did the same thing.

So, instead of ranting and railing and threating to get whatever the cheapest hottest dumb phone is today that doesn't have that problem, or opening up a new thread daily about the flaw and hijacking every thread possible into how stupid that was, I took a different route. I trained my fingers to wait a second instead of the half second I trained them on with the Treo.

You might call that "docile", but I think my solution has been more effective than yours.
    Hahahaha...what?

Who is this person opening up new threads and hijacking other threads? My posts have been here and in 1-2 other threads where they are applicable to title of the thread.

Straw man, much?
    You missed my point, but in reality, while you may scratch your head, that is exactly what makes them subjective. They aren't important to me, so they are not universally important. Subjective means it's an individual's evaluation.
    There's nothing that is "universally important" by your definition. Would make it meaningless, no?
    There's nothing that is "universally important" by your definition. Would make it meaningless, no?
    See, you are capable of learning something.
    BTW, in spite of your ranting above, I never said the flaws were subjective. As a matter of fact, in the particular instance, I wasn't even discussing the flaws, I was discussing the importance of three particular developers developing (or not developing for the Pre.

Straw man much?
    See, you are capable of learning something.
    BTW, in spite of your ranting above, I never said the flaws were subjective. As a matter of fact, in the particular instance, I wasn't even discussing the flaws, I was discussing the importance of three particular developers developing (or not developing for the Pre.

Straw man much?
    This is just comical now. You said:

BTW, it's also a little egocentric to believe that what consitutes a "major flaw" for you is "objectively" so.
    I responded:

Quibbling over whether a flaw is major or minor isn't germane. But establishing what objectively is a flaw is.
    How is THAT making a Straw Man? I literally used your exact wording! Moreso, how is that ranting? I mean, have you not seen The Princess Bride? These words don't mean what you apparently think they mean, sir.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I agree...Palm got this phone right. I'm sure many of the "complaints" that users have will be addressed through software updates and the hardware concerns will be tweaked in newer versions of the device.

Speaking of software updates...I love the idea of having updates pushed to the phone. Palm knew that if they left the updates entirely up to the users, the novice users may not update the software, but if they push it on to the phone then there will be more uptake. This in the end will result in a positive user experience.

RIM (and many others) needs to learn something here. The Storm wasn't such a bad phone after all of the software updates but updating the phone was a long and tedious process that many novice users did not follow.

Way to go PALM!
    Lol 1 up!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Why are there so many posts about people hating their pre's? Why? Why are their expectations so friggin' high? I mean, this phone does everything it was advertised to do.

Why do people by phones without a video recorder and then gripe about the fact that it does not have a video recorder.

Why do people by phones that don't have visual voicemail and then bemoan the fact that it doesn't have visual voicemail.

I simply cannot grasp the concept. I mean, it's similar to ordering a hamburger and then complaining that it does not have cheese. You ordered the damn hamburger!

Furthermore, this is a $300 product. We go out and spend $15,000+ on a car or truck and never once do we complain to the car company about the car's shortcomings. Never do we join a forum relative to the car that we've purchased. Never do we ask, why doesn't my car turn into a robot like the one in the Transformers movie. Never. Meanwhile, we b!tch, gripe, bemoan, and complain about every little flaw of a $300 product which is exactly what it said it would be prior to us purchasing it. Wierd.

This is just my little rant. I'll step off of my soapbox now.

Let the contradictory, sarcastic hate replies commence....
    This is just comical now. You said:

How is THAT making a Straw Man? I literally used your exact wording! Moreso, how is that ranting? I mean, have you not seen The Princess Bride? These words don't mean what you apparently think they mean, sir.
    The "Objective/Subjective" was originally over the three vendors you mentioned. Trace it back, it's right there. The comment you quoted referred specifically to major flaw. As has been pointed out (several times by several folks), what you think is important, others do not. That is what makes it subjective. You turned it into definining flaws. Even then, I do not agree with your assessment.

For instance, the checkerboard when you scroll the browser. A "flaw"? I don't know, but you mentioned whether or not they designed it that way. Of course they designed it that way! It's not like you scroll faster than the browser can render, and it crashes (that would be a flaw). Palm wrote into the code to display a checkerboard when it cannot render the screen. It was designed exactly that way.
    Objectively speaking.

Finally, if you're going to quote Princess Bride, at least do it correctly. The classics deserve a certain level of respect. The phrase was "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means". (And yeah, that was from memory. Kind cool in a way, pretty pitiful in others...)

Bottom line is, most of your rants really are subjective. You simply don't like what Palm has done. I'm satisifed with what they've done so far. As far as being "docile" about it, I would have taken mine back a long time ago were I as unhappy with it as you seem to be.
    Now now, follow the thread of discussion back. It lead to this:

Granted, I misused "never", but we weren't discussing the flaws in that flow, we were discussing those vendors.
    Two different discussions, but nice try at conflating. Discussion #1: Major developers ignoring the Pre is bad. Discussion #2: Objective flaws on the device itself.

Is it really that confusing?

And yes, I've seen Princess Bride, several times. If you're going to use the line, at least use it correctly "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means". (And yeah, that was from memory. Kind cool in a way, pretty pitiful in others...)
    Actually, I paraphrased since you didn't seem to know the definition of MULTIPLE words. A direct quote would be grammatically incorrect, not to mention nerdier.

Bottom line is, most of your rants really are subjective.
    Add "rant" to the list of words you should really look up.

One that keeps coming to mind is the checkerboard when you scroll the browser. A "flaw", I don't know, but you mentioned whether or not they designed it that way. Of course they designed it that way! It's not like you scroll faster than the browser can render, and it crashes (that would be a flaw). Palm wrote into the code to display a checkerboard when it cannot render the screen. It was designed exactly that way.
    Objectively speaking.
    The checkerboarding itself isn't the flaw, but rather a symptom of it. The inability to render fully loaded pages during scrolling on par with Webkit browsers from Apple and Android despite having superior (Android, iPhone 3G) or equivalent hardware (iPhone 3GS) is.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyncha View Post
    Why are there so many posts about people hating their pre's? Why? Why are their expectations so friggin' high? I mean, this phone does everything it was advertised to do.

Why do people by phones without a video recorder and then gripe about the fact that it does not have a video recorder.

Why do people by phones that don't have visual voicemail and then bemoan the fact that it doesn't have visual voicemail.

I simply cannot grasp the concept. I mean, it's similar to ordering a hamburger and then complaining that it does not have cheese. You ordered the damn hamburger!

Furthermore, this is a $300 product. We go out and spend $15,000+ on a car or truck and never once do we complain to the car company about the car's shortcomings. Never do we join a forum relative to the car that we've purchased. Never do we ask, why doesn't my car turn into a robot like the one in the Transformers movie. Never. Meanwhile, we b!tch, gripe, bemoan, and complain about every little flaw of a $300 product which is exactly what it said it would be prior to us purchasing it. Wierd.

This is just my little rant. I'll step off of my soapbox now.

Let the contradictory, sarcastic hate replies commence....
    You sir have some good points and good questions. So on that note, i'm going to sit back enjoy my Pre and see what becomes of the thread.
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I blame the lie-beral media!
    As has been pointed out (several times by several folks), what you think is important, others do not. That is what makes it subjective. You turned it into definining flaws. Even then, I do not agree with your assessment.
    Have I already mentioned to add "subjective" to the list of words for you to look up? If not, do so.

The relative "importance" of something has nothing - I mean, absolutely nada - to do with whether it is being evaluated "objectively" or "subjectively".

Objective evaluation: "The sun became apparent in the sky this morning."
    Subjective evaluation: "It sucks having the sun beam in your face."

Whether you think that phone log choppiness - however little or much it appears to any one given person - or popups and animations dropping frames or web pages half-rendering and requiring one to turn the device to landscape and back are very important or insignificant things, they are obviously and objectively NOT how Palm designed the device to work. They're flaws.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Why do you care so much about a strangers personal opinion on a product they bought with their own money? The criticisms are on the product, not you so there's no need to take it personally.

PS. My Lexus cup holder is too small.
    The better question is why you take it personally that people want Palm to improve the Pre to something equal to what is already available from other companies, even themselves?
    I feel your pain, but only disagree with your example regarding cars. I've been a member of several auto enthusiast forums and the very SAME attitude type and complaints are common in those as well.

The personality type that loves to complain after the fact transcends any one product category. I work in a service oriented industry so I'm familiar with it. IMO, they are people who are either too lazy to do the research for themselves or are used to having things their way regardless. And they all seem to have one thing in common - they see the glass half empty in most situations. I've found that people like that tend to learn the hard way.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid