View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474124 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Giving developers spotlights and application opportunities is one thing, and a good thing at that. But plain unfinished apps with context-free menus, bare bones functionality, and lag (especially the calendar and phone apps) is quite another, and a bad thing at that.

It's not like Palm released the source code and asked the public to finish the apps for them, although that might not be a bad idea if even more embarrassing. Another problem is the uncertainty. Maybe Palm will buy up some homebrews. Maybe they'll shut them out. Maybe they'll finish their apps. Maybe they won't. Who knows?

People who buy the device and have issues with this may not want to wait around to find out. That's a problem, and most certainly a factor in the subpar sales.
    I agree with most of that, but think that everyone's expectations are different. I didn't even think about a music scrubber until I read it on here. I own two iPods (actually five in the household) and have never scrubbed music on either of them. Some folks will pull their hair out over it, others won't notice, or won't consider it a major problem in the larger context.

There are several things I'd like to see implemented or changed, but none of them will drive me toward another platform at this point.
    Being that the web browser, calendar, phone app, camera, and video app all fail to meet this criteria, how do you figure the Pre is "there"?
    I guess it's a matter of opinion. It would disagree with you on each of those apps, but I don't want to go tit for tat with you about it.

But your opinion and my opinion don't matter in the singular. The question is what does the buying public think en mass. I look forward to hearing some sales numbers in a couple of weeks.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I look forward to hearing some sales numbers in a couple of weeks.
    I don't see that happening.
    I think they will need to come clean eventually. The lack of any announcement to date does little to enhance confidence in the platform.
    You may be right, but from what I've seen investors are expecting it. So for them not to do it would be a disappointment. I think their numbers would have to be pretty bad to not release. I suppose that's possible too. Ah well, you never know.

Man, you were so up on the Pre pre-launch. I hope Palm can win you back.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You may be right, but from what I've seen investors are expecting it. So for them not to do it would be a disappointment. I think their numbers would have to be pretty bad to not release. I suppose that's possible too. Ah well, you never know.

Man, you were so up on the Pre pre-launch. I hope Palm can win you back.
    I guess I was so up prior to launch because I made some erroneous assumptions.

I assumed that part of the greatness of the Pre was having another American company - besides Apple - control both the hardware and the software which would result in an optimized experience out of the box and American-centric design decisions like a capcitive screen. No catastrophes like the HTC/Qualcomm video drivers debacle that still has yet to be resolved after years of fingerpointing between the two...

...then I get the Pre and see it struggling to render even a delete notice without dropping frames with NO apps running. And I find out Palm made the exact same no driver mistake, and has no stated plans to rectify it anytime soon. Worse yet, everything seems to be at the mercy of Javascript rendering. It was inconceivable to me before, yet it happened.

It was also inconceivable that a company would ship a smartphone full of apps, yet the core ones - calendar, phone, music etc. - are the most complained about and choppiest in everyday experience. If NO other apps were running smoothly in version 1.0 on the Pre, wouldn't these be the ones you want to impress people with?

It was also inconceivable to me that they would ship a device full of generic, context-free menus (the equivalent of writing a magazine cover story for The New Yorker, and letting it run full of typos and grammatical errors), and still not finish them after FOUR updates. Why is there cut/copy/paste available in "Location Services"? or in "Bluetooth"? It just reeks of sloppiness.

So I've been unpleasantly surprised by Palm time and time again since the launch. I hope they turn it around too.
    I think it is awesome that Palm allows this. There are something they may not have thought of and they have given "us" the ability to be creative and create apps for our phone - unlike the iPhone. Great job Palm for allowing us the freedom to create and make our phones individual. But these are just my thoughts.

I love this phone and the cool things people are creating for the Pre.

I assumed that part of the greatness of the Pre was having another American company - besides Apple - control both the hardware and the software which would result in an optimized experience out of the box and American-centric design decisions like a capcitive screen. No catastrophes like the HTC/Qualcomm video drivers debacle that still has yet to be resolved after years of fingerpointing between the two...

...then I get the Pre and see it struggling to render even a delete notice without dropping frames with NO apps running. And I find out Palm made the exact same no driver mistake, and has no stated plans to rectify it anytime soon. Worse yet, everything seems to be at the mercy of Javascript rendering. It was inconceivable to me before, yet it happened.

It was also inconceivable that a company would ship a smartphone full of apps, yet the core ones - calendar, phone, music etc. - are the most complained about and choppiest in everyday experience. If NO other apps were running smoothly in version 1.0 on the Pre, wouldn't these be the ones you want to impress people with?

It was also inconceivable to me that they would ship a device full of generic, context-free menus (the equivalent of writing a magazine cover story for The New Yorker, and letting it run full of typos and grammatical errors), and still not finish them after FOUR updates. Why is there cut/copy/paste available in "Location Services"? or in "Bluetooth"? It just reeks of sloppiness.

So I've been unpleasantly surprised by Palm time and time again since the launch. I hope they turn it around too.
    I guess a lot of the bickering here on the forum comes from not trying to understand the perspective on either side. I totally get what you're saying and won't begrudge your right to feel that way, but you also should understand that there are a lot of others out there who just don't give a crap about all of that, and it doesn't mean we're fanboys or too stupid to know what we should be complaining about. Javascript rendering who, wha...? Cut/copy/paste in the Bluetooth menu? Didn't know that, still don't care. The thing works for how I use it. A little lag here and there doesn't bother me, especially when I keep things open to completely mitigate it. You feel differently and that's cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I guess a lot of the bickering here on the forum comes from not trying to understand the perspective on either side. I totally get what you're saying and won't begrudge your right to feel that way, but you also should understand that there are a lot of others out there who just don't give a crap about all of that, and it doesn't mean we're fanboys or too stupid to know what we should be complaining about. Javascript rendering who, wha...? Cut/copy/paste in the Bluetooth menu? Didn't know that, still don't care. The thing works for how I use it. A little lag here and there doesn't bother me, especially when I keep things open to completely mitigate it. You feel differently and that's cool.
    I agree. Mikah you are nitpicking in areas where most consumers won't even care to go.

I can even agree with you on some of your points, most actually. The reality is that I do not agree with your stated severity of the issues. This horrible lag-filled feature-missing device you own is not the one I own. Sure it's a little bit slower than the iphone, I notice it chugs a big when connecting to wi-fi also. It's not a WTF slowness though.

Secondly, you're glossing over the greatest strengths of the phone. In fact, it's strengths ARE what most consumers will instantly take note of - not the missing scrubber in the music player. The SECOND someone goes into card view, slides them around for a bit, then throws one off the top of the screen... that's it, they're hooked - or at least interested. Because damnit that kind of **** is cool. And not just flashy cool, it's the kind of cool that still impresses me after a month of ownership. And I'm not easily impressed.

The gestures, the touch screen; they are fun to do, look cool, and most importantly make SENSE from a functionality and UI perspective. THIS is the foundation that palm has laid, and they've done it well.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Mikah's nitpicking more from the standpoint of a developer or product manager. I think that's important, because someone at Palm should have had the same nitpicks. It doesn't matter if average customers don't care about it. As Henry Ford said, if he asked his customers what they wanted, they would have said "a faster horse".

There are many aspects to putting out a good product. It should be minimum that it's functional and gets the job done (which the Pre does). What separates the excellent products from average products are the little details, and the nitpicks, and getting stuff perfect. I think Palm released the Pre at the point in the cycle where it was good enough. But it's not hard to see where they could have done a lot better, and in some cases there are glaring flaws/shortcuts that have me baffled. It's lacking some refinements that iPhone 1.0 had when it came out in 2007 -- basic usability stuff. I think Palm could have at least gone that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Mikah's nitpicking more from the standpoint of a developer or product manager. I think that's important, because someone at Palm should have had the same nitpicks. It doesn't matter if average customers don't care about it. As Henry Ford said, if he asked his customers what they wanted, they would have said "a faster horse".

There are many aspects to putting out a good product. It should be minimum that it's functional and gets the job done (which the Pre does). What separates the excellent products from average products are the little details, and the nitpicks, and getting stuff perfect. I think Palm released the Pre at the point in the cycle where it was good enough. But it's not hard to see where they could have done a lot better, and in some cases there are glaring flaws/shortcuts that have me baffled. It's lacking some refinements that iPhone 1.0 had when it came out in 2007 -- basic usability stuff. I think Palm could have at least gone that far.
    Just think, it's giving an amazing opportunity for developers to come in and produce products that are not only better, but that are steller.

Of course, those developers that choose to seize the opportunity.
    Wow, expecting a basic level of professionalism (finishing menus and actually making them specific to the app at hand) is nitpicking? Expecting a 600mhz machine with no apps running to be able to render a native popup window smoothly is nitpicking?

Ok.

I mean, if the Pre is choking on kiddie stuff like that, what do you think is going to happen once all of these robust apps you expect down the line magically arrive?

And I could see if the problem was that I had a bum Pre, and I extrapolated my experience to everyone else who had better-functioning units. But is there someone out there who has a Pre that doesn't scroll through a call log choppily, even after clearing it a week ago? Is there someone out there has a Pre that doesn't drop frames during simple animations? Is there someone out there that has a Pre where the Photo app shows pictures as they are instantly instead of you waiting a few seconds before viewing EACH ONE for it to process? Is there someone out there with a Pre full of apps with useful, specific menus across the board?

I mean, I could be wrong, but I thought these - and many other issues - were universal problems. If you choose to happily accept them, that's your right. I don't think Palm wants the Pre to be known as the "Ehh, it's good enough, alright?!" smartphone. I don't think most people want to pay $299 out of pocket for such a device either. Must be why you can easily find a Pre anywhere now, and Palm and Sprint have held sales numbers in secret even three months later.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Just think, it's giving an amazing opportunity for developers to come in and produce products that are not only better, but that are steller.

I'm talking about OS level stuff to address fundamental design choices Palm made and smooth over rough edges they left in the system. As much as I'd like to see developers fix this stuff, it has to be done at the mothership.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Too bad many of those developers are plying their trade for OTHER platforms and devices. Hence the sales of their products (not just Apple) eclipsing those of Palm.

You keep singing the same old song. In your case, the problem isn't the Pre, it's your 'erroneous assumptions'. Do you buy a car before test driving it?
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid

If I look hard enough, I can nitpick any product. There is a reason consumer electronics like cell phones are put on display or given a grace/try-out period. Of course, not every issue will reveal themselves immediately, but a majority of the complaints I see posted were very evident early on.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid

I agree, but I think, as is posted in one of today's articles, that they released it when they had to release it, for a number of reasons. I think they were looking at the fact that it is a very solid foundation (a new OS that I almost never reboot and has never once locked up on me, even after sideloading a bunch of crap on it) and that a lot of folks would be happy with it as is.

So you have to make tough choices, almost every manufacturer does. Doesn't mean things don't need tweaking, but this isn't Apple sitting on a mound of cash just doing whatever they want, whenever they want. I just despise all the second-guessing by people who are on the outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    You keep singing the same old song. In your case, the problem isn't the Pre, it's your 'erroneous assumptions'. Do you buy a car before test driving it?
    Usually i would say this to whiners, but in this case that line doesn't hold any water. These are issues Palm NEEDS to fix. Some people will not care and others will, but again, these are issues that Palm needs to, should and will fix.
    Neither side is wrong here, it's just about what's important to people.
    Wow, expecting a basic level of professionalism (finishing menus and actually making them specific to the app at hand) is nitpicking? Expecting a 600mhz machine with no apps running to be able to render a native popup window smoothly is nitpicking?

Ok.

I mean, if the Pre is choking on kiddie stuff like that, what do you think is going to happen once all of these robust apps you expect down the line magically arrive?

And I could see if the problem was that I had a bum Pre, and I extrapolated my experience to everyone else who had better-functioning units. But is there someone out there who has a Pre that doesn't scroll through a call log choppily, even after clearing it a week ago? Is there someone out there has a Pre that doesn't drop frames during simple animations? Is there someone out there that has a Pre where the Photo app shows pictures as they are instantly instead of you waiting a few seconds before viewing EACH ONE for it to process? Is there someone out there with a Pre full of apps with useful, specific menus across the board?

I mean, I could be wrong, but I thought these - and many other issues - were universal problems. If you choose to happily accept them, that's your right. I don't think Palm wants the Pre to be known as the "Ehh, it's good enough, alright?!" smartphone. I don't think most people want to pay $299 out of pocket for such a device either. Must be why you can easily find a Pre anywhere now, and Palm and Sprint have held sales numbers in secret even three months later.
    You know, you might get more answers to your questions if your responses weren't so antagonsitc and combative.

We get it. You don't like the device. You're disappointed with it. Some of us aren't. Sorry that makes you mad, but it's life.

My call log is not choppy, unless I try to scroll through it faster than I can read. I don't much see the point in that.

But, you have every right to be disappointed if you wanted/expected/demanded more. A little chill on the anger might do your blood pressure some good though.
    Too bad many of those developers are plying their trade for OTHER platforms and devices. Hence the sales of their products (not just Apple) eclipsing those of Palm.
    And that's fine, I believe we'll have plenty of quality apps from which to choose.

However, I think you're prejudging the market, since there is currently no vehicle in which to sell Palm Pre apps.