View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    197 70.36%
  • No

    40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

    37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

    28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272122 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 4493
  1. #421  
    I found some pretty good ones here: Kids play phones Electronic Toys at BizRate - Price Comparison and Consumer Reviews

    I'm not sure if Iphone or Pre will fit in the holsters though. (Or if they come equipped with medical software).
  2. Rkolodz1's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #422  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    The iPod Touch is a very slim device, and so probably wouldn't be a big deal to carry even if you had to improvise something. Hell, you could stuff it against your leg in a sock if you wanted. Or get a belt pouch.

    It also doesn't come with the baggage of a more expensive AT&T plan, so even though it'd be a big cash outlay at first, I'd say you'd come out on top in the long run keeping the Pre and just biting the bullet on a 32GB iPod Touch.
    Agreed.
  3. #423  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Apple donates a lot of equipments to schools. Common knowledge says, nothing really comes free. Yes, they have an app for everything.

    Back then, I remember, we had Microsoft based equipment at school that was donated by Microsoft. So, everything had to be Microsoft based. As a student, when a school or professor mandates the use of specific device, you really can't win. You need to do what you need to do to get through school.

    You can search who donated (what foundation) to your school, you can connect the dots from there.
    I dont think it has anything to do with donations. I think it has to do with the success of the App Store. Notice he said they are "switching from the old Palms". I dont think PALM has donated much of anything to any University, but the old PALM OS was the best software at the time. Now the Iphone OS is, period. Maybe PALM will get it right on the next device, but we've been had on this one. We were simply Beta testers, and have to face that. PALM needed the pocket change they would get from us loyal PALM followers, and tech junkies to stay afloat. So they hyped us on this device, and then short changed us. Now they're laughing at us complaining about wasting our money, and what updates we need and hope for, while they fund their R&D off our money for whatever real project they are working on. It's business 101, "if they'll pay for it, sell it to them." I should have giving up on this company after the whole FOLEO fanasco. I knew they were headed downhill then.

    Kind of ironic tho' that the OP has to "give up" his new PALM device because the program is moving from his "old PALM device" to a totally different OS all together. And everybody thought Jim Cramer was crazy when he said sell PALM shares.
  4. dusty78's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #424  
    I don't have the whole bundle in front of me but it includes Archimedes, Archimedes 360, Davis drug guide, Davis Lab tests, disease and disorders, life support 360, OCM, Rnotes, Rxdrugs, Tabers dictionary, Harrisons, clinical constellation, consult med, and some more that i'm not sure about yet. i'm in a DNP program not an MD so it might be a bit different. I think i'm going to go with the 32gb touch and see how it works out carrying two devices, if it turns out to be a pain I'll just switch. I did find out that the school will spread the cost over a few semesters if we buy the bundle from them, which i think is like $600. I'll tell you what though, i saw a preview today and it's pretty slick, the old Palm TX's they used before were OK but kind of slow and had to use the stylus a lot. Apple and SkyScape def put out a good product.
  5. #425  
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    I believe this should be a required read for all forum members/new members of precentral. Sticky?
    I agree. I just think that with Palm being in the fight or flight financial position they were/are in, that they did a heck of a job with the product the finished and shipped. I mean, this phone I have is better than my first Windows 98 Compaq, so you know, I think they did wonders with this. Sure there are quirks and misfortunes, but really, the thing works! The only problems anyone REALLY has with it, is certain features that aren't available yet that they like. I'm pumped on though, and will take on any Iphone fan who thinks they have the best phone. I don't know, I guess I'm loyal to whatever team/side I choose in anything. Highly competitive!
    Keep Brewing All Ye Homebrew Underground!
  6. #426  
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    I don't have the whole bundle in front of me but it includes Archimedes, Archimedes 360, Davis drug guide, Davis Lab tests, disease and disorders, life support 360, OCM, Rnotes, Rxdrugs, Tabers dictionary, Harrisons, clinical constellation, consult med, and some more that i'm not sure about yet. i'm in a DNP program not an MD so it might be a bit different. I think i'm going to go with the 32gb touch and see how it works out carrying two devices, if it turns out to be a pain I'll just switch. I did find out that the school will spread the cost over a few semesters if we buy the bundle from them, which i think is like $600. I'll tell you what though, i saw a preview today and it's pretty slick, the old Palm TX's they used before were OK but kind of slow and had to use the stylus a lot. Apple and SkyScape def put out a good product.
    It sounds like a nice bundle. I think you will find the touch to be an insignificant burdon for your white coat compared to the other clinical acutraments you are likely to carry. you may, depending on how structured your expriances on the clinical side are, find yourself using only a few programs, for which an acceptable version exists in classic or, hopefully, native, and can migrate back to one device in time.

    Good luck!
  7. #427  
    how bout getting a cheap itouch?
  8. #428  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You have said many times that you are "not a programmer". You did not say "I am not a professional developer" nor did you qualify your statement with "but I have made money writing some programs". I think most people earned money writing programs would typically not claim that they were not a programmer.

    What assumption would you like me to acknowledge that I presented as fact? I do acknowledge expressing some opinions but I think it was you who expressed contrary opinions as facts.

    One more question for you. You said in an earlier post:

    "To me one of the more promising aspects of this is that the database engine also seems to rely on the JVM. This may enable some developers deeper access to integration between apps. Don't know (as I said, I'm not a programmer), but it sure looks like it to me."

    Why would the fact that the database engine was Java based be a "promising aspect"? Why would it allow "developers deeper access"? You admit you "Don't know" but you must have some reason for thinking that.
    I'm sorry, you didn't qualify. Go back and check the two qualifications. Keep in mind, what I did a long time ago doesn't much reflect what I am doing now...
  9. #429  
    Well coming myself from having a palm treo 700p to an ipod touch.... I really dig this Pre phone. It's sleek, sexy, powerful, and intuitive. It does so many things so well.. especially notifications. I love the UI. I'm glad I bought one.
  10. #430  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm sorry, you didn't qualify. Go back and check the two qualifications. Keep in mind, what I did a long time ago doesn't much reflect what I am doing now...
    Not sure I care enough to. I am sure if you could have answered my questions you would have.
  11. #431  
    But in all seriousness, that NanPlayer IS an embarrasment for palm..i mean really Palm, you couldn'y have thrown a scrub feature in? I'm a big proponent of this phone but the OP makes some valid points, If a home programmer could throw together an app that trounces the stock music player in a few weeks then yes that sucks for Palm. Let's hope Palm makes the changes necessary that third party software isn't needed to supplement basic functions like the music player. I particularly hope this because i do not homebrew.
  12. #432  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not sure I care enough to. I am sure if you could have answered my questions you would have.
    Let's review the conditions. They were quite simple.
    1. Show me where I ever said I have no experience with SDKs or programming
    2. Acknowledge that you made an assumption, and presented it as fact

    (I'm suspecting you have a very difficult time admitting you're wrong about anying)
    Until you do one of the above, answering a question is useless, since you will obviously interpret anything said in whatever manner you choose. That makes discussion with you meaningless (sort of like your "expert opinion").
  13. #433  
    @hparsons, @ADGrant: how bout you guys take this little argument offline? It's not really adding anything to the thread, although it is keeping it near the top (and perhaps it deserves to fall into obscurity--he says as he bumps the thread back up to the top with his own comments).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14. #434  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Let's review the conditions. They were quite simple.
    1. Show me where I ever said I have no experience with SDKs or programming
    2. Acknowledge that you made an assumption, and presented it as fact

    (I'm suspecting you have a very difficult time admitting you're wrong about anying)
    Until you do one of the above, answering a question is useless, since you will obviously interpret anything said in whatever manner you choose. That makes discussion with you meaningless (sort of like your "expert opinion").
    I am sure whatever I said you would find a way to avoid answering the question. Just as you would discount the opinion of anyone who does love the Pre. Since this "conversation" is going no where, it's probably a good idea to terminate it.
  15. #435  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    But in all seriousness, that NanPlayer IS an embarrasment for palm..i mean really Palm, you couldn'y have thrown a scrub feature in? I'm a big proponent of this phone but the OP makes some valid points, If a home programmer could throw together an app that trounces the stock music player in a few weeks then yes that sucks for Palm. Let's hope Palm makes the changes necessary that third party software isn't needed to supplement basic functions like the music player. I particularly hope this because i do not homebrew.
    Was going to post something similar. Haven't seen much embarrassing so to say but that's getting there.

    I'm thinking Palm is just focused and using a lot of resources trying to get to multiple carriers which is also costly at first. They're also trying to get the app catalog ready. Just comes at the expense of slow progress on OS updates. One could argue though that they do need more sales & a working app catalog worse than they need to rush out updates to what is a "good enough" OS for many right now.

    I just hope they can survive long enough to do it. Apple had help from AT&T..longterm help. Android had tmobile pretty long term which will make other carrier launches easier. RIM has a longterm exclusive locked up with Verizon on the Storm. While Palm chose (along with sprint) to do a short 6 month stint.

    In essence, we got a cash strapped company with new OS, new product, with hardly any old revenues coming in trying to get on many carriers at once, each with different specs & requirements..WHILE focusing on OS updates, getting a working app catalog in place, coming out with a new form factor (EOS), get developers interested, etc.
  16. #436  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    But in all seriousness, that NanPlayer IS an embarrasment for palm..i mean really Palm, you couldn'y have thrown a scrub feature in? I'm a big proponent of this phone but the OP makes some valid points, If a home programmer could throw together an app that trounces the stock music player in a few weeks then yes that sucks for Palm. Let's hope Palm makes the changes necessary that third party software isn't needed to supplement basic functions like the music player. I particularly hope this because i do not homebrew.
    You could look at this another way: Palm may have left some low-hanging fruit laying around so that third-party developers would have some good opportunities. The developer of NaNPlayer has actually put quite a lot of effort into it, employed a graphic designer, and so forth--whether intentionally or by accident, Palm has created a good opportunity, and he will likely be successful because he put the effort in to produce something good. I would imagine that he would rate what he's done as a little more than a few weeks of effort.

    Palm was also crunched for time--improvements to single applications may not seem so difficult but keep in mind that there are a myriad of such small improvements to be made throughout the whole device.

    We should also note that the back-end of the music player works exceedingly well. The UI may be lacking in some features, but music playback is superb. Palm had to do that too (though they are relying on PulseAudio for at least some of that functionality).

    At any rate, I hardly consider the lack of a scrubber to be an embarrassment. A notable lack, certainly, but you know, I don't miss it all that much. I might still buy NaNPlayer, though--it looks really well done. I tried the Reminiz music player remix a few versions ago, and yes, it provides some missing features, but there were some bugs too. I deleted it because I'd rather have fewer features than buggy features. So I think Palm made the right choice here.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17. #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You could look at this another way: Palm may have left some low-hanging fruit laying around so that third-party developers would have some good opportunities. The developer of NaNPlayer has actually put quite a lot of effort into it, employed a graphic designer, and so forth--whether intentionally or by accident, Palm has created a good opportunity, and he will likely be successful because he put the effort in to produce something good. I would imagine that he would rate what he's done as a little more than a few weeks of effort.

    Palm was also crunched for time--improvements to single applications may not seem so difficult but keep in mind that there are a myriad of such small improvements to be made throughout the whole device.

    We should also note that the back-end of the music player works exceedingly well. The UI may be lacking in some features, but music playback is superb. Palm had to do that too (though they are relying on PulseAudio for at least some of that functionality).

    At any rate, I hardly consider the lack of a scrubber to be an embarrassment. A notable lack, certainly, but you know, I don't miss it all that much. I might still buy NaNPlayer, though--it looks really well done. I tried the Reminiz music player remix a few versions ago, and yes, it provides some missing features, but there were some bugs too. I deleted it because I'd rather have fewer features than buggy features. So I think Palm made the right choice here.
    Is the nanplayer free? if it isn't and Palm doesn't plan an update of the music app then that would indeed be unfortunate. I should not have to pay for basic features...or hope it piques the interest of some aspiring or enterprising programmer. It's a scrubber, and what's more these are the ipod/iphone guys.
  18. #438  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You could look at this another way: Palm may have left some low-hanging fruit laying around so that third-party developers would have some good opportunities. The developer of NaNPlayer has actually put quite a lot of effort into it, employed a graphic designer, and so forth--whether intentionally or by accident, Palm has created a good opportunity, and he will likely be successful because he put the effort in to produce something good. I would imagine that he would rate what he's done as a little more than a few weeks of effort.

    Palm was also crunched for time--improvements to single applications may not seem so difficult but keep in mind that there are a myriad of such small improvements to be made throughout the whole device.

    We should also note that the back-end of the music player works exceedingly well. The UI may be lacking in some features, but music playback is superb. Palm had to do that too (though they are relying on PulseAudio for at least some of that functionality).

    At any rate, I hardly consider the lack of a scrubber to be an embarrassment. A notable lack, certainly, but you know, I don't miss it all that much. I might still buy NaNPlayer, though--it looks really well done. I tried the Reminiz music player remix a few versions ago, and yes, it provides some missing features, but there were some bugs too. I deleted it because I'd rather have fewer features than buggy features. So I think Palm made the right choice here.
    I only disagree in that (intentional or not) having unpolished or dumbed down core apps in hopes that developers will be inspired to do better versions is good.

    Personally, and no offense to NaNplayer because it does put the palm version to shame, I'm not buying another music player app when the device that i spent 200 or more on should include a superior native one. That's old Palm OS/WM thinking.
  19. #439  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You could look at this another way: Palm may have left some low-hanging fruit laying around so that third-party developers would have some good opportunities. The developer of NaNPlayer has actually put quite a lot of effort into it, employed a graphic designer, and so forth--whether intentionally or by accident, Palm has created a good opportunity, and he will likely be successful because he put the effort in to produce something good. I would imagine that he would rate what he's done as a little more than a few weeks of effort.
    ...
    This is right along the lines of my thoughts. If a vendor includes an application with their device and/or OS that is very good, there is little incentive for others to develop a "competing" product. Thus, what the vendor gives you pretty much becomes what everyone gets.

    On the other hand, if a vendor does just enough to whet the appetite so other developers will say "Hey, I can improve on that", then consumers get a choice. They can buy NanoPlayer which has ABC, or they can buy OtherPlayer which has XYZ.

    If the inital product is "good enough", then developers may simply look at it and say "Nah, no one will pay for an upgrade. The base system does too much".

    Databk on the PalmOS is a prime example of that. They took the basic functionality of the PIM on the Palm devices, and added to it, becoming the new "standard". I suspect though, that if Palm had originally had all of that functionality, we would never have seen some of the other PIMs that were avaiable.

    The other thing I really like about the player in question - maybe it will silence some of the naysayers about what can and cannot be done with WebOS. Pretty impressive looking to me, and the developer said in the video that they'll be working on video later.
  20. #440  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ...
    Personally, and no offense to NaNplayer because it does put the palm version to shame, I'm not buying another music player app when the device that i spent 200 or more on should include a superior native one. That's old Palm OS/WM thinking.
    I guess that's where we disagree. I don't think a 256mb computer that fits in the palm of your hand, serves as a phone, basic audio/video player, includes both WiFi and a wireless modem, should be expected to have "superior" native apps. Build the device, solidify the OS, and give everyone a rich platform to work on. I'm willing to pay for good apps.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions