View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 218 of 225 FirstFirst ... 118168208213214215216217218219220221222223 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,360 of 4493
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    You've been with Palm six years, and you bail on the threshold of the biggest year for Palm devices in a long time. I'm babying my Pre- until this all plays out :|
    maybe some android dev will come up with a good card interface equivalent. android does have some good apps that makes the jump worth while. i have an hd2 running android and its pretty good. just takes a new learning curve to navigate. if i can find an android phone with all the features i want, i wont hesitate to buy.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    maybe some android dev will come up with a good card interface equivalent.
    They do have Matias Duarte now. Anything's possible, I guess!
    Let me just say that the Webos on this device is simply fantastic! But the problem is that the hardware cannot cope with the operating system, even the Palm Pre 2 still has crappy battery life...

Yesterday, I took my phone off charge at 10:00am and it was 100% dead by 2:00pm (I never even switched the screen on). I do have a lot of email accounts syncing every 5 mins, and my facebook and Twitter syncing every hour. If you make an os that allows you to get automatic updates, then at least make a device that can handle the software or make software that is efficient enough to not completly drain the battery within 4 hours!!!. There must be a new update for this phone (webos 3.0 etc...) that makes the operating system more efficient, or at least a new webos phone (HP-Palm pre 3 etc...) that has the power to at least survive 24 hours... That's all im asking for, is this too much?

If the battery life is not fixed by the end of my 18 month contract (6 months left) then I will be getting the latest iPhone instead, because IOS4 is the best operating system out there, purely because it is the most efficient. Webos is "almost" as good (I say this because of bad battery life and because of lag issues - because the hardware, again... Can't handle the software. The battery life on my phone is terrible!!! This must be fixed.
    There are a number of ways in which you can reduce battery drain on the device. My Pre Plus last me all day with probly 20 percent battery left over. I'd look into some of these methods.
    And if you have all of those things on, at that frequency, then the battery life on an iPhone isn't much better. Everytime it polls for email, updates and has to issue a notification, it's going to drain some battery.

You should set emails to 'as items arrive' and you'd get some batery savings right there.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre, but look at what's going on - average joes are creating homebrew applications that allow you to do things like categorize your contacts, change your alert tones, scrub through your mp3s and more...things the Pre is SUPPOSED to do from the start. What is Palm doing? And you could even say "They're probably working on their own solutions to these issues", but seriously...if the average joe could come up with a fix in a matter of days, why aren't we getting updates from Palm? If the story is "They're gathering 50 different fixes together for one update", then split them up - I'll take a mandatory update that fixes 5 things each week. I just want to know that they're doing SOMETHING.

Who's making the Pre - Palm or its users?
    This seems to be the case with alot of phone manufacturers now and days with just wanting to get a phone out and once they send it out then they move on to the next latest thing they are working out
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    You've been with Palm six years, and you bail on the threshold of the biggest year for Palm devices in a long time. I'm babying my Pre- until this all plays out :|
    Wasn't the that last year? 2009? When they came out w/ Pre? :-) Palm has just taken way too long to get back in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Why did you make the switch to Verizon? coverage?
    Coverage and bad customer service. Even after being w/ Sprint for 13 years, thier customer service was terrrible the last few years (for me at least)

Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    don't be sad, be frustrated at palm/hp for not competing hard or fast enough to keep your dollar. Send a message.

the more they loose, the more they will release at ces
    You - my friend - are wise. And That comment does mke me feel better about my decision. Thank you.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    <<threads merged>>
    Hey all,

Saturday, my browser decided it wasn't going to load. I did a reset... nothing.... a battery pull got it to work, sort of. It will work for a few minutes, then quit. a battery pull use to get it to work but now, nothing. The loading circle just sits at the horizontal position and phone becomes VERRRRRYYYY laggy.

It is NOT data related, as it still does not work with Wifi. PLUS, I can still do all the other data related functions(facebook, preware, Gmaps, etc..) still work.

Any ideas?

Sprint Pre, 2mo old.
    First off... try running the webOS Repair Utility. This will look for any missing/corrupt files and replace/fix them using your Doctor file. (Be sure to read post #3 for info on the 2 settings available).
    didn't work. i have the latest webOSdoctor and it says it doesn't match. thanks anyway. **** this phone. not the only HP related device i have had fail recently. I'm done. I will not be returning to this board nor using this phone.

done.
    And if you don't have the doctor version that matches the OS version in your phone, it won't work.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by JwhiteH View Post
    didn't work. i have the latest webOSdoctor and it says it doesn't match. thanks anyway. **** this phone. not the only HP related device i have had fail recently. I'm done. I will not be returning to this board nor using this phone.

done.
    Yay. Problem solved (I guess...) haha
    <<thread merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by RiPPeRZz_2k10 View Post
    Yesterday, I took my phone off charge at 10:00am and it was 100% dead by 2:00pm (I never even switched the screen on).
    Here I thought you must have a faulty battery or really bad coverage that keeps your radio on max power all the time - because 4 hours with hardly any use is not normal.

But then this followed:

I do have a lot of email accounts syncing every 5 mins, and my facebook and Twitter syncing every hour.
    You poll every 5 minutes (with "a lot of email accounts" even) and you still wonder that your battery gets used up quickly?

The radio is the the reason the battery gets drained fast. While on vacation I kept my Pre on airplane mode most of the time - except at Starbucks where I switched wifi on. During that time it got easily through a couple of days even though I surfed *a lot* on that Wifi.

Normally my Pre(-) just about gets through the day - but my EMail is set to 30 minute interval. More often than that would be distracting from work anyway.
    I don't let Newsroom update in the background - only when I start the app.

There is no magical hack that will make an OS suddenly use way less power while operating the radio for your internet connection. This uses a relative large amount of energy and battery tech has seen much less improvement than CPU tech. There are electrochemical restraints here that are hard to overcome to improve energy density.

I'm sure that all the modern mobile OSs have been designed to not waste energy. I find it hard to believe that there are large reserves of inefficiencies that can be solved by just making the OS more efficient. A few percent here and there - sure - but not that much.
    Most of the improvements will have to come from hardware. Optimized CPU and chipsets. And the incremental advances of higher energy densities of slowly improving battery tech.

Short term - you can improve your battery life by not wasting energy on 5 minute poll intervals.

If you find that another smartphone has longer battery life (with same poll settings and comparable CPU etc...) - then that will be mostly due to a bigger (and heavier) battery.

If the battery life is not fixed by the end of my 18 month contract (6 months left) then I will be getting the latest iPhone instead, because IOS4 is the best operating system out there, purely because it is the most efficient. Webos is "almost" as good (I say this because of bad battery life and because of lag issues - because the hardware, again... Can't handle the software. The battery life on my phone is terrible!!! This must be fixed.
    Perhaps you should google first for "iphone battery life" - where you can see that people trade the same tips to prolong battery life.
    On the top 10 list of my Google hits was a tip to - you guessed it - set the EMail interval to 30 minutes. ;-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    My contract with Sprint is almost at the point where I can get a new phone without paying an early termination fee. While I absolutely adore WebOS, the poor quality of the hardware and the lack of some pretty basic smartphone features (voice dialing, visual voicemail, BT file transfer, etc., as well as corporate-friendly features like VPN and encryption) have left a bit a of a greasy taste in my mouth. Couple that with the lack of any word on the 2.0 update and the fact that the Pre seems to be disappearing from each carrier one-by-one makes me seriously want to consider another option. I'm tired of having the 1st-in-software-but-3rd-in-carrier-backing phone. Anyone else getting a serious itch for a new shiny? I'm patiently waiting for CES, but if we don't start hearing some hard release dates for some new hardware (and new software), I don't think I can hang on much longer!
    Other than the header, was there are question in there? The only one that can answer whether it's time to go is the person asking. In your case, you seem to have answered with "I'm patiently waiting for CES" (though it sounds like it should have been "impatiently").
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I left in 2009 and by all counts i haven't missed much. Besides you sound like you already made up your mind.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    This thread will be merged pretty soon...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G