View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070120 ... LastLast
    Saturday afternoon I drop my wife off at her monthly girls bible-study event, and when I go to pick her up I find that, in the two hours that she's been there, both the husband and wife who own the home have somehow become convinced that they each need to own a Pre. Only one of them is eligible for an upgrade and they're arguing over which one is going to get it.

A couple hours later we're at a bar celebrating a friend's "thirty-tenth" birthday and wifey is at the other end of the table with some young woman she's just met who's swiping away on my wife's Pre, wide-eyed with a smile on her face. A little while later the blonde sitting to the other side of her has whipped-out her iPhone and they spend about a half hour comparing features.

Poor thing just doesn't know how embarassed she's supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I never user chattermail, I will have to check the features of it.
    What exactly does it do that can't be achieved by a native WebOS app or another third party ?
    Chattermail is a PalmOS email client. Like the native WebOS client it supports IMAP (with IDLE support for push) and POP3. Unlike the WebOS email client, it can push email from any IMAP folder (you do have to configure this behavior). It also allows customized alert sounds/vibrations for different mailboxes and has a sleep mode (I turn off email delivery overnight).
    It also allows you to search your email. HTML email is supported via the PalmOS browser.

The developer is clearly very talented since the application syncs email in the background which is a little challenging on PalmOS.

Palm bought the rights to Chattermail from the developer and hired him to work at Palm. Late last year he left Palm and announced that he was planning to write an email client for Android. Palm has discontinued sales and support for Chattermail as part of the wind down of PalmOS support.

I am still running it though. Its partly what keeps me stuck on PalmOS (along with my 3rd party PIM apps and Pocket Quicken).
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Saturday afternoon I drop my wife off at her monthly girls bible-study event, and when I go to pick her up I find that, in the two hours that she's been there, both the husband and wife who own the home have somehow become convinced that they each need to own a Pre. Only one of them is eligible for an upgrade and they're arguing over which one is going to get it.

A couple hours later we're at a bar celebrating a friend's "thirty-tenth" birthday and wifey is at the other end of the table with some young woman she's just met who's swiping away on my wife's Pre, wide-eyed with a smile on her face. A little while later the blonde sitting to the other side of her has whipped-out her iPhone and they spend about a half hour comparing features.

Whats the point ?
    No need to be embarrassed in such conversations.

I gave up arguing about Pre with many of my iPhone friends.
    Most of them are novice smartphone users , they bought it because of the APPLE brand name. Each conversation will end like "Well , its still not an iPhone". And I go like "Yes its not an iPhone , its a Pre".

Only once I ended up getting my point across in an honest comparison of the two phones. That was possible only because the guy was knowledgeable and really comparing the ease of use of the two phones.

The UI , Ridiculous switching between APS and tossing the APP for exiting (I get a kick out of it even after two plus months) are the biggest ground breaking features that PALM should be very proud of , THERE IS NO EMBARRASSMENT .

I bet APPLE will copy the swipe and close functionality SOON ( the current back ==> Center Button ==> Tap ==> Back ==> Center Button ....... is a pain !!!!!! though its livable :-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Whats the point ?
    No need to be embarrassed in such conversations.
    I think that was the point, no need to be embarrassed. In light of the thread, and the non-Pre owners trying to reinforce the concept, it might be worth repeating from time to time. It's really not "an embarrasssing time for Palm".
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think that was the point, no need to be embarrassed. In light of the thread, and the non-Pre owners trying to reinforce the concept, it might be worth repeating from time to time. It's really not "an embarrasssing time for Palm".
    Yeah, my point was she's not embarrassed because she doesn't come to this forum and have a bunch of people, many of whom don't even own the device, trying to convince her that she should be.

But since she's ignorant of valuable advice like "grip your phone with two hands and try to twist it to see if you have the oreo effect", she just uses the darn thing totally oblivious. And enjoys the heck out of it. Poor girl.

I bet APPLE will copy the swipe and close functionality SOON ( the current back ==> Center Button ==> Tap ==> Back ==> Center Button ....... is a pain !!!!!! though its livable :-) )
    I doubt Apple will copy it, that's just not their thing. They'll come up with a more elegant interface, but it will be different.
    Exactly. Most sites that review the Pre are giving it glowing reviews. I think the majority of the complaining is coming from a handful of individuals who obviously do not like the phone and need a different one. I can complain about anything if I put my mind to it. I for one am very happy with the phone. Does it micro stutter..yes.. is it a little slower.. yes.. to me I don't really care. Then again, I'm not ADHD.
    Not Really.. I would just like to say, that the Pre is such a great phone! If you took all the style, all of the web capability, the accurate GPS, the clear phone quality, the intuitive search and touch interface, and were left with only MULTI-TASKING, then that would be plenty to satisfy me. But no, PALM did an AMAZING JOB with this phone! It's not perfect yet, but let the phone that is without sin cast the first stone! Please quit complaining that you can't do this and that, or that it's not perfect, because if it were, there would be no need for developers, and all Palm Employees jobs, etc.... the list is LONG! And Pre-Central would look something like this:

"Today I did something awesome on my Pre. But as you all know, it is perfect, and you probably got your cure from cancer from it as well, while simultaneously multi-tasking during a video shoot of a man saving a baby from dangerous flood waters. I was also tracking the storm via GPS, with the built in DOPPLER RADAR and the ability to charge itsself via SOLAR SYNERGY......"

The moral of this story: Let's be a differant group of consumers than consumers in other markets. Let's start a new trend. We could change the morale of the country, simply by changing our attitude toward industry. Let us not criticize as consumers of the past have done with scrutiny, selfishness and stupidity; i.e. when people get on here and blast this phone because it doesn't do this perfectly or because my finger is uncomfortable when I do this, rather, let us constructively criticize this product using words like, "Wouldn't it be great if we could develop this feature or that?" and after we have talked about this with the community, let us then develop a civil solution, so that this can be not a community of naggers, but a community of dedicated, positive users with useful input that can adversely create an atmosphere that can be fun, friendly and fueled with growth! Let's face it, consumerreports.com is nothing but a bunch of gripes and complains! How many articles of complaints have legitimate complaints that could not be labeled with whining? I would just like to see a group that does not advocate childish bickering "My phone won't make a video, waaaaahaaaa!!!!" where as adults can get together and create the video software needed for this powerful device to harness the greatness we know it is capable of!

We can do it!!!!!
    Keep Brewing All Ye Homebrew Underground!
    I love my PRE.
    Great post! It's so good I was going to cut and paste it into an email, but my Pre (marketed as having C & V from before launch) can't do it dammit! WTF!
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So I really like my Pre and after spending tons of money on accessories and stuff i was informed by the dean of our program that we are switching from the old palms for our med/Rx software bundle to the Iphone/Ipod touch 32gig. So right off the bat its going to cost me $400 (has to be 2nd gen)for the touch + $200 for the software, which can't even be updated unless in WiFi which most hospitals don't have public access to. Is it easier for me to just sell my Pre and my old 1st gen touch 32gb and jump ship to At&t? i really don't want to carry two devices all day especially wearing scrubs without any real pockets.

I have a one month old pre mint, no issues at all wearing a phanton skin on the screen, + 2 more unused phantom skinz, touch stone, 2 extra battery doors, extra seido 1350 battery, Seido spare battery charger, and OEM palm leather pouch. What do you guys think i can get for all that? I need to try and off set the cancelation fee. Or should I suck it up and carry both? I checked and Skyscape has some of the programs available for the Pre if your running classic but a couple look to be for the Iphone/touch only. I thought of getting a new 8gb touch but i'm afraid it won't be big enough, one of the med library programs is like 3 gbs by itself and theres like 16 in the bundle. What to do, what to do....hmmm

on a side note how many people use the nytimes app on thier pre. mine never opens up on the first try, the circle timer things spins for ever, if i close it and reopen the app right away it works fine. anyone else have this issue?
    Well, if it's for school, do what you have to do
    reading this post, I could hear the band playing "Stars and Stripes Forever" and see this guy waving a flag. You do have a point, though!
    visit us at www.tdscomputer.com
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    yeah thats what i'm thinking too, but i kinda don't want to leave Sprint. Been with them a while, have a premier account and get a good discount.
    Maybe you could fabricate some sort of mobile device bandoleer and wear it under your scrubs. Then having two devices with you won't be as big of an annoyance.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    like a dual shoulder holster type thing miami vice style? maybe I can wear a white lab coat with big shoulder pads over my scrubs with the sleeves rolled up and shoes made of wicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    like a dual shoulder holster type thing miami vice style? maybe I can wear a white lab coat with big shoulder pads over my scrubs with the sleeves rolled up and shoes made of wicker.
    Yeah, I like that idea.

Never heard of the problem with the NYTimes app.

As a sprint premier customer myself, I would say keep the pre. They allow you to put your phone and number on hold for up to 6 months at a time, charging you a nominal fee of $6/month to keep the number. These months do not count towards your contract fulfillment, though. Just seems to me like for what you have invested in the Pre, might as well keep it. Not to mention, hell, you're a doc, suck it up. You'll be making plenty of money to buy all of us 32gb iphones soon enough
    At my med school they went from palm to ipod/phone the year after me. Mostly for epocrates. The "requirement" is a joke I would say. Depending on the software you can use the emulator and do great. Can you give more details about the programs they require? I know for a fact that at my school many of the hospitals have terrible att coverage and no wifi. Having google at your fingertips is probably more useful than most medical programs for a training student.
    Apple donates a lot of equipments to schools. Common knowledge says, nothing really comes free. Yes, they have an app for everything.

Back then, I remember, we had Microsoft based equipment at school that was donated by Microsoft. So, everything had to be Microsoft based. As a student, when a school or professor mandates the use of specific device, you really can't win. You need to do what you need to do to get through school.

You can search who donated (what foundation) to your school, you can connect the dots from there.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Humph! I thought Doctors were supposed to be smart! I guess that doesn't count Deans of Doctors. But then again, is he/she getting ... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    How could you possibly know I am wrong when you were unable to discern the difference between Java & Javascript.
    Here's the real irony here. You're so busy making claims about what others do and do not know, you ignore what you yourself have said in the past.

Frankly, I was unaware that the Pre even had a JVM until I was told about it on this forum. Unlike you, instead of flailing about and insisting that I was right, I asked questions, and learned. The really funny thing is, especially in light of your claim that I cannot "discern the difference between Java & Javascript", you were the one that told me that it does indeed have a JVM. Check it out, but I'm reasonably sure you'll have some lame comeback, since you're never wrong.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...bk6-pre-4.html

BTW, not only do WebOS Apps have access to the JVM, many of them use it. Granted, these are Palm included apps, but they are core WebOS apps. A quick glance shows that the Calendar, Contacts App, Mail App, and Messaging App all rely on Java code running in the background.

To me one of the more promising aspects of this is that the database engine also seems to rely on the JVM. This may enable some developers deeper access to integration between apps. Don't know (as I said, I'm not a programmer), but it sure looks like it to me.