View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 225 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
    I love native corn on the cob.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    personally, i rather have a large update which addresses MANY issues once a month
    Same here, but we're not even getting that.
    Lets keep this all in perspective. For me, the Pre is hands down, the most advanced vision of what the smart phone could do. I grab my friends iPhone and it seems old and tired. Even he, iPhone fanboy that he is, agrees that the work flow on the Pre is something he wishes he had on his iPhone. Is this phone a mature piece of technology? No. Was the iPhone when it came out? Absolutely not. Are there fundamental, basic, things we still need? For sure. But I believe the fixes will be easy to implement and are coming.

I think what we have with the Pre is the promise of something truly great. Whether or not Palm will ensure that promise is realized remains to be seen. The entire concept of homebrew is pretty amazing. That we can get together and tweak our phones and produce product that can benefit all of us, without enduring the Draconian policies of Apple...That is almost worth the price of admision alone. Android? Please, that crapware has no place in this conversation.

Enjoy the benefits of the homebrew apps and sit tight. I believe more good stuff is on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Same here, but we're not even getting that.
    wasn't the last update right at a month ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    i'd rather palm leave changing notification tones and quick dials to the homebrew guys, so they can focus on other bigger changes. Palm was in a dire situation and had to take the phone out of the oven. Maybe a tad early, but if they didn't they could have died with the pre inches from the starting line. I appreciate Palm getting it out, and making it simple to develop for....because to be honest, on all my other treos anything palm could do, homebrew did better!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by conceptnine View Post
    Lets keep this all in perspective. For me, the Pre is hands down, the most advanced vision of what the smart phone could do. I grab my friends iPhone and it seems old and tired. Even he, iPhone fanboy that he is, agrees that the work flow on the Pre is something he wishes he had on his iPhone. Is this phone a mature piece of technology? No. Was the iPhone when it came out? Absolutely not. Are there fundamental, basic, things we still need? For sure. But I believe the fixes will be easy to implement and are coming.

I think what we have with the Pre is the promise of something truly great. Whether or not Palm will ensure that promise is realized remains to be seen. The entire concept of homebrew is pretty amazing. That we can get together and tweak our phones and produce product that can benefit all of us, without enduring the Draconian policies of Apple...That is almost worth the price of admision alone. Android? Please, that crapware has no place in this conversation.

Enjoy the benefits of the homebrew apps and sit tight. I believe more good stuff is on the way.
    +10
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    wasn't the last update right at a month ago?
    Yeah, but the phone has been out for what....almost 3 months? I haven't seen 3 major updates (referencing the post that I quoted.)

I'm trying to be patient but the few crap apps that are trickling into the Palm store gives the impression that the wheels at Palm are turning slowly, if at all.

The Homebrew guys rock! If it wasn't for them, I would be very disappointed with the Pre, sure it has great potential but Palm needs to get on the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre, but look at what's going on - average joes are creating homebrew applications that allow you to do things like categorize your contacts, change your alert tones, scrub through your mp3s and more...things the Pre is SUPPOSED to do from the start. What is Palm doing? And you could even say "They're probably working on their own solutions to these issues", but seriously...if the average joe could come up with a fix in a matter of days, why aren't we getting updates from Palm? If the story is "They're gathering 50 different fixes together for one update", then split them up - I'll take a mandatory update that fixes 5 things each week. I just want to know that they're doing SOMETHING.

Who's making the Pre - Palm or its users?
    There are so many "sub-issues" raised here that it's next to impossible to answer concisely.

Homebrew vs Palm released. Homebrew apps are "use at your own risk" apps, and therefore don't have to undergo rigorous testing. As a matter of fact, they really don't have to undergo any testing. Palm developed apps, on the other hand, are (rightfully) expected to work correctly, and without screwing anything else up.

Generally speaking, I believe that Palm's going the right track of having others develop products for their device. They should (in my opinion) release the basic device, and let developers develop for it, and users pick and choose what they want. What's important to some (like categories) is not important to others (like me).

The Pre has received more updates in 2 1/2 months than most Palm devices have in their entire life cycle (and other smartphons, for that matter). Some folks wanting them faster is really not reason enough to push them out faster. I think they're doing fine on updates.

What the phone "should" have come with, obviously, is a matter of personal opinion.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Probably you should take your pre back and get an iphone.

Or better yet, create your own phone that does everything exactly the way you want it. It's obvious palm can't live up to your expectations.
    I guess saying something THREE times is the magic way to get through to some people, so here goes...listen good now...

There are fundamental functions that have been incorporated in previois palm devices...GONE. What is the purpose of creating a palm product that doesn't carry over the full palm experience as people have known it?
    yeah seriously, how would using android do anything but put palm out of buisness? palm would not be a very good handset only company...their strength is their OS
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/23/2009 at 07:06 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The Pre has received more updates in 2 1/2 months than most Palm devices have in their entire life cycle (and other smartphons, for that matter).
    That's not necessarily a good thing. One could say that it was released too early and they are now playing "catchup" with the releases.

I guess I can understand their logic somewhat. They announce it in January, hype it up as the iphone killer (either Palm or the media) and then felt they had to release something before people started getting impatient and buying another phone.

Now it's back to the waiting game again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    I guess saying something THREE times is the magic way to get through to some people, so here goes...listen good now...

There are fundamental functions that have been incorporated in previois palm devices...GONE. What is the purpose of creating a palm product that doesn't carry over the full palm experience as people have known it?
    People that harp on this don't know the history of Palm, understand the dire straits that the company was in, or are ignoring both.

Most of those "basic functions" that appeard in older Palm devices were not in the original Palm device (the Pilot). Not even the phone functionality. They were produced, for the most part, by third party developers. The few things that were part of the original Pilot functionality were dreamed up and written by people that are long gone. Finally, many of those functions were great for a device that was designed to be an "acessory device". The Pre is a totally different type of device from that. The smartphone has evolved, and it needed a new OS from the ground up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    That's not necessarily a good thing. One could say that it was released too early and they are now playing "catchup" with the releases.

I guess I can understand their logic somewhat. They announce it in January, hype it up as the iphone killer (either Palm or the media) and then felt they had to release something before people started getting impatient and buying another phone.

Now it's back to the waiting game again.
    This reaction is confusing. On the one hand, you acknowledge that they are producing updates faster than any device they've had before, and faster than any other similar device, yet you end with "back to the waiting game"???

Wow.

They released the product when they promised. They had to do that, or they probably would have been gone.

They're releasing updates faster than any other similar device, including their own past devices (which believe me, needed more update than they got!!)

They have taken a company that had stock prices in the low $1.xx range less than a year ago, to about 10 times that amount, and a company that most had written off and brought it to a company that is producing a product that is legitmately being touted as the competitor to "the big dogs". They did this while basically completely rebuilding not only the company, but the core system of their flagship device.

I don't think they should be ducking their heads in shame.
    Regarding the frequency of updates for the Pre, I think Palm has a difficult choice in either situation:

• Frequent Minor Updates: More chances of update errors and CS woes. Plus unavoidable criticism from userss not satisfied with level of updates
    • Less Frequent Major Updates: Palm get criticized because users and analysts complain that Palm isn't moving fast enough.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Regarding the frequency of updates for the Pre, I think Palm has a difficult choice in either situation:

• Frequent Minor Updates: More chances of update errors and CS woes. Plus unavoidable criticism from userss not satisfied with level of updates
    • Less Frequent Major Updates: Palm get criticized because users and analysts complain that Palm isn't moving fast enough.
    And there you go, it's a "no-win" situation for Palm. I, for one, believe Palm has been listening and are working on what they consider to be the more important fixes. That's what I'm waiting patiently for at this point . . . nothing more, nothing less.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This reaction is confusing. On the one hand, you acknowledge that they are producing updates faster than any device they've had before, and faster than any other similar device, yet you end with "back to the waiting game"???
    Yes, because the so called updates should have been included with the release of the phone. Even so, they didn't add a whole lot in my opinion. "Back to the waiting game" means that even with the updates, we're still waiting on something worthwhile.

It doesn't matter if they do 10 updates a week, if they don't add much functionality or improvements or much requested features, then the number is meaningless.
    unfortunately, I guess some people doesn't like chocolate or vanilla. they want those frequent MAJOR updates... i assume these people are the ones that expect all their code to compile correctly without errors or warnings the very first time. :-p
    What updates? Seriously they fixed an EAS issue which was pretty major and an email security fix. That is about it.

They added some speed improvements in 1.1 that are gone after a few hours or so of using the device and added a bunch of lag to boot in several of the programs. We got some choppy animations as well. Great idea there, the device is already laggy lets add some slow *** choppy animations to make it worse.

Scrolling is still choppy, we still have 3 -4 second lag for pictures to pop up in the photo viewer, still have lots of checker boarding, still have the same complaints about the calendar, same issues with email attachments, same speed issues with calendar, email, photos, phone etc...

Right after the update: "Device feels faster"

Few days after the update: "Still getting lots of lag"

So what updates are you guys talking about? From my perspective we are still waiting for just about all the original complaints about the device to be fixed or features added.

Palm really hasn't done much IMO. Just wait until the ignorant masses find out that most of the apps in the app store are going to be junk since Palm's SDK has neutered access to every major function on the phone. We aren't going to see Garnet style programs on the Pre because developers don't have access to the device. We aren't even going to see Iphone'esq programs either since the hardware is off limits because Palm's OS itself can't even use its own hardware properly.

Yah, Palm really hit a home run here. /sarcasm
    Last edited by Aridon; 08/23/2009 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Just wait until the ignorant masses find out that most of the apps in the app store are going to be junk since Palm's SDK has neutered access to every major function on the phone. We aren't going to see Garnet style programs on the Pre because developers don't have access to the device.
    What is Palm's reasoning behind this?
    I don't do Tinerking and I don't do "homebrew". I want a phone that works out of the box.
    That's the reason I left Winmo and why i don't own and android device, I'm patient enough to wait for updates. It makes calls, it sends texts, it surfs the web. boom.
    If something better than the pre comes along (doubt it), ill have another choice, but until then this is it.