View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 225 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    How could you possibly know I am wrong when you were unable to discern the difference between Java & Javascript. I didn't detect an apology and your claims that you really meant java were somewhat undercut by posting a dump of ps output showing a java VM running. If you are going to post on technical matters, get the details right. They are important.
    Grow up. Would you like posts on this forum with dates showing where I spoke o Javascript. Where I (more politely than you) corrected others when they wrote "Java" instead of "Javascript". I don't care about a apology from you, because I'm not dense enough to expect you would ever offer one for anything.

The simple fact is that you are wrong about me being able to "discern the difference" between Java and Javascript.

As for your silly and immature obsession with bets, I will ignore any and all of them so don't waste your time. Nor am I interested in the claims of the Palm marketing department or their CTO. I have the SDK, I can judge for myself.
    Sorry, but that statement is also untrue. You did not previously "ignore" such statements, you insisted that the person offering the bet was no longer offering it. Until he got on and said he was. Then you ignored it. I suspect it's your standard MO to ignore something when proven wrong.

I've offered nothing from Palm's "marketing department"; however, it's nice to see that you at least acknowledge it came from their CTO. Maybe you can tell us how many more developers you've intereviewed than he...
    Perhaps, but there is some evidence to support that assertion. Several major developers of PalmOS apps have announced that they do not plan to develop for WebOS (developers of apps like Chattermail, Date Bk6). OTOH Chapura and Dataviz are. Their current efforts are not particularly rich in functionality though.
    Actually, that's not quite what Datek has said. Would you like some quotes from them on their Yahoo group? Or is your mind equally made up on that as well, and what the people from the company say doesn't matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You saw me say "the world"? I don't think so. Palm doesn't need "the world" to buy the Pre for it to be successful, and I don't need "the world" to develop apps for it. A few quality commercial apps would suit me just fine.

What "specifically" am I expecting to see? Some commercial applications. That's what we were discussing. Were you reading (I don't think you really were, in light of your above statement). The poster in question was basically saying there will be no commercial development for the Pre. I'm saying there will be. Commercial applications will be proof he's wrong. You can "hold me" to that.

Thanks for clarifying. And so you would say the platform is successful if we see at least one commercial application by end of September. Good to know the hurdle they need to strive to attain.

To ensure we're on the same page. What's your definition of a "commercial application"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. And so you would say the platform is successful if we see at least one commercial application by end of September. Good to know the hurdle they need to strive to attain.

To ensure we're on the same page. What's your definition of a "commercial application"?
    I suggest you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.
    I'll do so if you agree to brush up on your logic. Since you won't/can't I think we're even.
    does commercial apps include any paid app (e.g., 99 cents apps), 'commercial grade' apps, apps that are complex (3D), etc? What did you have in mind when you said the Pre needs just one commercial app by end of september to have succeeded?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    What we have here is a logical fallacy. Users did not create the Pre. Palm created the Pre. That must have taken quite a lot of effort, yeah? So it's clear Palm has done a great job building the base and the users are picking things up software end. Now, I'm not saying it's okay to put effort into one component and not the other. Hardware and software need to work together in harmony to give the user the best possible experience. This is NOT the same thing as having tons of features. You just have to trust that Palm will release updates as we go along and more features will be supported by Palm.

Also keep in mind, this is version 1... just have some patients.
    There are good points made by both sides. The Pre is still missing some necessary functions that other phones have. On the other hand, the Pre does some remarkable things in remarkable ways that those other phones cannot do. The Pre has a unique UI that Palm should be proud to have created. Palm has nothing to be embarrassed about. This is not an embarrassing time for Palm; this is a developing time for Palm. Give Palm a chance to develop the Pre. In the mean time why don't you try this: Wish for the things you love about the Pre that most other phones do not have (e.g. I wish I could listen to Pandora on the Pre while I browse the web.); you might realize that you are blessed with what you already have.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    There are good points made by both sides. The Pre is still missing some necessary functions that other phones have. On the other hand, the Pre does some remarkable things in remarkable ways that those other phones cannot do. The Pre has a unique UI that Palm should be proud to have created. Palm has nothing to be embarrassed about. This is not an embarrassing time for Palm; this is a developing time for Palm. Give Palm a chance to develop the Pre. In the mean time why don't you try this: Wish for the things you love about the Pre that most other phones do not have (e.g. I wish I could listen to Pandora on the Pre while I browse the web.); you might realize that you are blessed with what you already have.
    well said. everyones looking for the "perfect phone". well theres always gonna be those little things. its just what works best for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    does commercial apps include any paid app (e.g., 99 cents apps), 'commercial grade' apps, apps that are complex (3D), etc? What did you have in mind when you said the Pre needs just one commercial app by end of september to have succeeded?
    I don't think I said that. Would you mind providing a quote?

As a matter of fact, I don't think the Pre's success will be measured in how many apps they sell. The success of the Pre will be measured by whether or not it makes the parent company (Palm) a strong enouh profit to stay in business. That's the purpoe of the device.

The issue I was addressing was the notion that commercial developers are not going to write softwar for it. So, I don't know how many commercial apps it would take to dispel that notion. I suppose that "one" would do it (maybe two, since the discussion was developers, plural), but I believe it's a moot point.

In spite of the arguements offered, and your juvenile response, the fact is that there are already commercial developers writing software for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I don't think I said that. Would you mind providing a quote?

As a matter of fact, I don't think the Pre's success will be measured in how many apps they sell. The success of the Pre will be measured by whether or not it makes the parent company (Palm) a strong enouh profit to stay in business. That's the purpoe of the device.

The issue I was addressing was the notion that commercial developers are not going to write softwar for it. So, I don't know how many commercial apps it would take to dispel that notion. I suppose that "one" would do it (maybe two, since the discussion was developers, plural), but I believe it's a moot point.

In spite of the arguements offered, and your juvenile response, the fact is that there are already commercial developers writing software for the Pre.
    Speaking of which, I vaguely recall Oct. as being the month that Adobe Flash Mobile will become available for the Pre in beta. While I don't know if that's considered an app, per se, it most certainly is commercial and is HUGE.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    cause the iphone didn't have any issues when it came out... come on
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am not sure what to say here , what on earth is so great about having graphic acceleration ?
    Smoother operation, better user experience, better battery life, less heat generation. Those are all areas the device could benefit from on a day to day basis, for all users.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Smoother operation, better user experience, better battery life, less heat generation. Those are all areas the device could benefit from on a day to day basis, for all users.
    Thank you sire, now you are talking about the commoners lingo.
    These are real issues for many new customers to the world of smartphones.

I am fine with the first two, can live with the third one.

Fourth one is an issue for me , yes it does get hot.

Here is my take , I owed a HTC Touch , Treo 800W , plus used several phones ( HTC makes, BB 's) , when I ran navigation on all these phones they got hot. I mean hot enough to warm my coffee. And there is this small matter of iPhones exploding Belgian teenager latest victim of exploding iPhone phenomenon

The issue is common with many smartphones. I guess ( and I believe, firmly) we will soon see phones with powerful heat sinks or ventilated back covers. The Tegra processor is breaking the 1GHz mark, we soon will see "HEAT" as a major issue.

In relevance to the post , PALM did really well on the first two ( smoother operation , better UI). I am not getting into the debate of the LAG.
    Whats LAG for me is perfectly acceptable to you vice verse.
    So PALM didn't embarrass us with the phone. I hope they get more out of the battery. And the heat thing, hmm, thats an issue.
    I agree with many of the points raised by Easy123. As a longtime Palm user (hence, the handle) I am disappointed to see that there is a long list of things that my old *PALM* Treo 755p had that are missing from the Pre. I understand that they had added a lot of things that they did not have before, but it seems counterintuitive to omit some basics to which your brand loyalists (as well as the customers of your competitors) are accustomed!

Don't get me wrong, I love Palm, and I love my Pre, but I wish Palm would add (or not omit/remove in the first place) some things that I feel are basics. I also think, "Oh, well they had a lot of other things to consider and these were just small things..." but then, as Easy 123 said, they are a huge company with vast resources in a huge market with fierce competition and if they want to compete, they have to bring it. After all, isn't the difference in all these phones all in the little things/details? They are in the business of details. (Most of which they got right in the Pre.) Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by PalmLoyalist; 08/30/2009 at 09:14 PM.
    I want to love this, but the battery -- good golly Miss Molly, it's preposterous! I get about 5 or max 7 hours, and I'm not doing much at all: a few texts, mainly web cruising, the NY Times app. And it dies. Really unbelievable. And I so want to love the Pre. . . . .
    @Charlemagne: if your Pre is pretty new (first couple of weeks), hang in there, it will improve somewhat. It takes several charge cycles for the battery meter to be properly calibrated. Also, it's worth noting that web cruising is one of the most battery intensive things you can do with the Pre. It might even be worse than talking on the phone (the screen is on and the processor has to render the pages and handle scrolling), though it's not as bad as Sprint Navigation. There are lots of battery posts around here.

And, as long as I'm posting in this thread that refuses to die, I might as well say a few words. First, I don't think this time is embarrassing at all for Palm. I might feel differently if Christmas rolls around and we're still in the same place, but it's only been, what, 2.5 months since launch? And we've had 4 updates (1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 1.1). The Pre is selling at least well enough to keep some supply lines pretty short (Best Buy is still hit or miss as to whether they'll have any in stock). Almost every tech journalist of any reputation whatsoever has written good things about it, even if the iPhone is still at the top of the heap. Plus, Palm seems to have good will on its side--they have the underdog thing going, and it's working for them. Almost every regular person who picks up the Pre is impressed.

Absolutely, I'm still hoping for more, and I'm expecting Palm to deliver additional capabilities. But what I've got is not an embarrassment.

And another thing, what is it with people on this site discussing the maturity level of their opponent? Let's just concede that we're all immature, since we spend WAY too much time posting on an enthusiast site about a tiny piece of electronics that we allow to run our lives. Note that I include myself in this category.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Let's just concede that we're all immature, since we spend WAY too much time posting on an enthusiast site about a tiny piece of electronics that we allow to run our lives.
    Probably the wisest thing I have read on this whole forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Let's just concede that we're all immature, since we spend WAY too much time posting on an enthusiast site about a tiny piece of electronics that we allow to run our lives. Note that I include myself in this category.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Probably the wisest thing I have read on this whole forum.
    Except wouldn't it really need a small modification:
    we spend WAY too much time posting on an enthusiast site about a tiny piece of electronics that some of us allow to run our lives, and some of us don't even own....
    Except wouldn't it really need a small modification:
    we spend WAY too much time posting on an enthusiast site about a tiny piece of electronics that some of us allow to run our lives, and some of us don't even own....
    Well, perhaps, but I was kinda trying to lump everyone together, you know, the brotherhood of the immature. If you could only grow up, you might see that.

Kidding, only kidding.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer