View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 187 of 225 FirstFirst ... 87137177182183184185186187188189190191192197 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,740 of 4493
    What I really hate right now is the Facebook app adds all the contacts to your phone...no option to not do it. My girlfriend wanted to use Facebook, and it added all her contacts...and her account permanently to my Photos app and etc. I wish it didn't
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    The screen is a little too small, but then again it makes the phone more portable.

Double letters from the physical keyboard is a little annoying sometimes, but livable.

Not much else to complain about. It's a great phone.
  3. GB1
    I've had the Sprint Palm Pre since July 2009. I'm mostly satisfied with it, but what disappoints me is not the issues it has, but the slow pace the bugs are being resolved, and the slow pace of upgrades by Palm.

Here's a list of things I see wrong with the Pre. Hopefully some developers read these threads

- It's slow ! I don't get this because the CPU is supposed to be a good one. As noted in this thread, could be the multiple 'layers' between OS and UI. All I know is that is hesitates a lot, esp when I'm opening images, scrolling through them, dialing numbers, etc. If you compare it to the iPhone, the speeds are really night and day - I would guess the iPhone is a least 3 times faster, maybe 5 times quicker. Palm REALLY needs to optimize here. Programs also open slowly.

- Occasional bugs, like the cards shrinking down to a very small size (which can't be a feature !!!) and the OS telling me that I have too many cards open when I only have one (!) open, are still around a year after I got my Palm. This is pretty inexcusable. Not sure what the development team is currently working on and I know that bug-fixing isn't glamorous, but really guys ... please fix these. And hopefully they're not hardware-related !

- As others have mentioned, the Acrobat text doesn't seem to resize to fit the screen, meaning I have to scroll; same with certain HTML pages. I also wish that when you zoomed in that it was integrated with the browser so that it would automatically reposition the text to wrap based on the new zoom position. This is one of the biggest annoyances with my Palm.

- The screen display is smallish. But I knew this buying it: the price you pay to be able to fit it in your pocket better than an iPhone. I've compared it to the iPhone and the usable display area is actually quite close, but even a 10% difference is a lot w/ a screen this small. It's OK, but sometimes just seems too small .. Not sure what the solution is here.

- Expandable memory: I wish one could add a memory card to the Pre to expand the memory. Though I don't know if any smart phones can do this.

- I can barely hear the ringer when it's in my pocket. I often miss calls actually. Max volume needs a bit of a boost.

- Other little issues that I may add later.

Another thing is perhaps a better feedback mechanism to the Palm developers. There doesn't seem to be any way to report a bug (?)

-GB
    1. It was a relatively dated CPU at launch (long delay between the first Pre announcement and release).

2. Isn't "zooming out" in cardview a feature? I agree with you in that I don't understand the point of it, but I believe it's a feature.

3. TMC, I don't think anyone would argue that this is annoying. I've found that doing a restart after installing a resource-intensive game helps ALOT. That being said, I want a Pre+ (or fresh WebOS hardware would be nice, too!).

4. Compared to other phone companies, Palm resolves bugs and pushes updates at breakneck pace. This area should be a compliment to Palm, not a complaint.

5. I'd prefer a larger screen, but I also really like the look of the Pre. The pebble shape and smooth lines are very sexy. That comes out as a wash, in my opinion.

6. Expandable memory would be cool, and all, but have you really filled up your allotted space? You are talking about storage space, right? Expandable memory (as in 256 -> 512 and beyond) isn't an available feature on any phone, as far as I know.

7. I've noticed this as well. Palm needed to give the ringer (and the vibrate feature) a little more muscle.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    - Occasional bugs, like the cards shrinking down to a very small size (which can't be a feature !!!) ...
    Actually, it's a feature, and is deliberate. Try this little experiment.
    • Open 3 (or more) apps. You could do this with only one app open, but opening three shows the purpose.
    • If you have one app active, minimize it (press the middle button).
    • Tap the screen outside the app itself. In other words, if you have the Contact App open, tap the area of the screen above or below Contact app while it's minimized.
    • All three apps should now be very small - the "bug" you described.
    • Grab the middle small app, and drag it outside one of the others. See how it lets you change the order? This is the purpose of this feature.

The idea behind this is to not close apps. However, the other problem you mentioned (too many cards) kind of interferes with that. That one is a combination of issues, and I too hope Palm address the issue soon.

BTW, there's probably some poor software engineer that invested 6 months of his life writing code for that feature, and is now seeking therapy becuase you wrote it off as a bug...
    there are just a couple of things that i wish the pre had. 1- spell check. 2. the option in email to delete emails on "handheld" or both "handheld and sever".
    Quote Originally Posted by mums pre View Post
    there are just a couple of things that i wish the pre had. 1- spell check. 2. the option in email to delete emails on "handheld" or both "handheld and sever".
    If the email is set up as a pop account, it does give options to delete email from server when deleted on device and delete email on device when deleted from server.
    Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    I've had the Sprint Palm Pre since July 2009. I'm mostly satisfied with it, but what disappoints me is not the issues it has, but the slow pace the bugs are being resolved, and the slow pace of upgrades by Palm.

Here's a list of things I see wrong with the Pre. Hopefully some developers read these threads

- It's slow ! I don't get this because the CPU is supposed to be a good one. As noted in this thread, could be the multiple 'layers' between OS and UI. All I know is that is hesitates a lot, esp when I'm opening images, scrolling through them, dialing numbers, etc. If you compare it to the iPhone, the speeds are really night and day - I would guess the iPhone is a least 3 times faster, maybe 5 times quicker. Palm REALLY needs to optimize here. Programs also open slowly.

- Occasional bugs, like the cards shrinking down to a very small size (which can't be a feature !!!) and the OS telling me that I have too many cards open when I only have one (!) open, are still around a year after I got my Palm. This is pretty inexcusable. Not sure what the development team is currently working on and I know that bug-fixing isn't glamorous, but really guys ... please fix these. And hopefully they're not hardware-related !

- As others have mentioned, the Acrobat text doesn't seem to resize to fit the screen, meaning I have to scroll; same with certain HTML pages. I also wish that when you zoomed in that it was integrated with the browser so that it would automatically reposition the text to wrap based on the new zoom position. This is one of the biggest annoyances with my Palm.

- The screen display is smallish. But I knew this buying it: the price you pay to be able to fit it in your pocket better than an iPhone. I've compared it to the iPhone and the usable display area is actually quite close, but even a 10% difference is a lot w/ a screen this small. It's OK, but sometimes just seems too small .. Not sure what the solution is here.

- Expandable memory: I wish one could add a memory card to the Pre to expand the memory. Though I don't know if any smart phones can do this.

- I can barely hear the ringer when it's in my pocket. I often miss calls actually. Max volume needs a bit of a boost.

- Other little issues that I may add later.

Another thing is perhaps a better feedback mechanism to the Palm developers. There doesn't seem to be any way to report a bug (?)

-GB
    1) First, what do you mean the iphone is 3x to 5x faster? What do you base this on? Perception or hard data? Second, the phone is over a year and a half old. Processors improve nearly exponentially, so you have to expect that it will be quite slower than those around today. And if you want to increase the speed, try installing one of the over-clocking kernels. Makes an unbelievable difference. They also enable Compcache configurations that all but rid your phone of the TMC issues. I can open multiple 3D games and other apps and still not hit a roadbump.
    2) It's a feature. Seriously? Seriously???
    3) I have not experienced this issue, but I believe you when you say it's an issue. Extremely minor in my opinion, but it might affect you more than I. I don't have any issues double-tapping zoom.
    4) Why complain about something like screen size? As you said, you bought it knowing the screen size. That's like complaining that it has a physical keyboard, or isn't 4G, or doesn't do your laundry. Just complaining to complain.
    5) See above. You should list these as hopes for improvements in future devices, not as complaints about an already existing phone.
    6) I too would like the speaker volume given a bump, although if I'm using an mp3 for my ringer, I can simply increase the native volume of the file and then it gets as loud as I need it.
    7) I may be mistaken, but I believe you are able to report bugs for apps to the developers. Whether or not they get back to you or solve the issue is a developer issue, not a pre issue.

True, there are issues with the pre, and I have had my share of complaint threads in the past, but at this point, the only valid complaints, in my opinion, involve the evolution of webOS itself and have little to do with the pre or its hardware. What about camera and microphone API's? Flash? Implementing patches into the OS that should've been there in the first place (Landscape Email? Seriously left that out?).
    I would say that having a first post on this site being negative really doesn't seem to be a good sign. Hopefully you're within your 1 year window so you can get a new phone that addresses some of your issues, most of which seem to be hardware related. Then you can keep checking back, and when HPalm releases a phone more up to code, you can jump right back in. Cheers man.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 07/08/2010 at 02:11 PM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    the ability to select a phone number with extension from calendar. ex. 555-555-5555p1123#
    right now only the phone number is clickable, and you have manually dial the extension.
    I've finally had it with the Palm Pre. I love WebOS, but the phone is such a joke. I bought my first Pre from Sprint on the first day of release, and since that day I've had to replace my phone 4 times for various issues. My latest Pre, I got about 4 months ago, and I've had issue after issue with it.

Off course the oreo effect goes without saying, then the headset issue where the earpiece doesn't work after putting a headphone in it. And now recently the mini-usb charger fell off and there is a crack there now, and the on/off button doesn't work anymore either, it is just stuck and won't come back up.

I just think Palm should be embarrassed at this build quality. I understand that some phones are defective, but this my 5th phone, which was a refurb, so I am guessing they had a chance to fix the issues, and now all the same stuff is happening.

Prior to the Palm I had a samsung, a LG Fusic, LG Lotus, and none of those had any issues whatsoever. I had the LG lotus for about 1 year, and aside from some scratches, it worked perfectly fine, and I sold it on ebay. But this phone is pure garbage, and I will be switching to the EVO within the week.
    you'll be back eventually , maybe not with the pre but you will be back.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you'll be back eventually , maybe not with the pre but you will be back.
    I want to stay with WebOS, but I mean I can't handle another Pre. Every time there is an issue, it is literally 1-2 hours out of my day, cause I have to take it to Sprint to fix the issue, and at the end they say they can't fix it and order me a refurb, that I have to go back and pick-up.

I would just be embarrassed if I were Jon Rubenstein
    as far as i know they stopped sending out referbs a while back . also there are many people that didnt have as much trouble as you did . like myself i have not had much trouble at all . i had one phone's speaker blow out and thats it. i would stick it out myself (im not possitive but i think you will be dissatified with the evo) until next month and see if the new phone is at least leaked.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Thanks for complaining and don't let the door hit you on the way out
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    as far as i know they stopped sending out referbs a while back . also there are many people that didnt have as much trouble as you did . like myself i have not had much trouble at all . i had one phone's speaker blow out and thats it. i would stick it out myself (im not possitive but i think you will be dissatified with the evo) until next month and see if the new phone is at least leaked.
    I don't know if I am the norm or not, but all these issues have been reported numerous times.

I think I am going to go to the EVO, and see what happens with Palm, but if any handset comes out, it will be a few months out, and I am going to wait a few months as well just to see if the phones have the same issues.
    The Evo is a great phone and i'm sure you will like it as I have but the Problem right now is finding one! Its very hard to locate an Evo due to high demand, there are long waiting list and they are sold out everywhere. You might have better luck with the upcoming Epic especially if you desire a physical key.
    Last edited by kinster02; 07/11/2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    The Evo is a great phone and i'm sure you will like it as I'm but the Problem right now is finding one, its very hard to locate one due to very high demand. You might have better luck with the upcoming Epic especially if you desire a physical key.
    I looked at the Epic, but I don't like landscape keyboards. I really like the thought of the Pre, with the portrait slide-out keyboard, but too bad the design is bad.

I rather just have the EVO, just something about landscape slide-out keyboards that I just don't like. My friends love the Droid, but just doesn't appeal to me.

My question is, what do I get for my Pre. Do I just lose out on the $199.99. There is no way that I can sell this phone to anyone, what a real shame. I am a die-hard WebOS fan, but that just means the Pre is that bad, that I am dissuaded from the OS.
    So, last June i stood in line for hours to get one of these phones. i paid the full-price (around $500 if i recall correctly). i bought 2 touchstones and a car charger. i was ALL IN. i loved the phone for the most part, but there were a couple of minor things that were major issues for me. first, no voice-controlled dialing. i've had it on every phone since that lousy motorola razr, but i was patient. Second, no ability to send group SMS or email (natively). this seemed easy enough since that horrible Blackberry Curve had it and that phone did ALMOST nothing.

Since that time, Palm has not addressed a single one of these complaints. i know from the forums on launch day that i am not the only one with these issues. it is over a year later, so i am now left to either go with an EVO (which does the group contacts thing but i am not sure about voice commands) or get into bed with that horrible AT&T. android's OS leaves a lot to be desired, but that phone is fully functional for me [but i would love to LOVE my phone again]. there is also the issue with actually getting one. as much as i hate apple, that iOS just works. it's not choppy, sluggish, doesn't hangup whenever it wants.

Undoubtedly, the webOS is a dream, but these couple of issues seem to be insurmountable and frankly i am tired of waiting, i think it's time to take down my Palm banner and look for a phone that does what i need it to do. what good is it to have all these updates when launch day issues are still being ignored. i suppose, i'll be hanging on to this thing until i can get an EVO. i'll try that out for 28 days and then i'll decide if it's Sprint and the HTC EVO or AT&T and the iPhone. it's sad when even a person like ME is saying this.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 07/11/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic