View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 186 of 225 FirstFirst ... 86136176181182183184185186187188189190191196 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,720 of 4493
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    There are not a lot of people on this site who will disagree with you. Although there were improvements with the Verizon and AT&T versions, the pre does have a mediocre build quality. However, it does no good to beat a dead horse. WebOS is phenomenal and is what keeps here. I am living with the inferior hardware and am optimizing my phone as much as possible until a new gen of phones comes out. I really can't justify going to another OS when I am so comfortable where I'm at.
    Yes, the pre launch was botched with the hardware problems (not to mention horrible marketing and advertising, as well as a problematic launch on Verizon), and I understand your need to vent. I've done it myself. But I'd say we're past the point of ripping Palm for putting out a sub-par product, and instead should focus on the brilliance of the OS, the genius of the webos-internals team in squeezing every drop of functionality they can out of the OS, despite the hardware, and any upcoming news on new phones being brought to market. It is only a matter of time, and I know patience is running thin in many of us. Just take a deep breath and realize that it's only a phone and things will only get better.
    About the only positive post that will come out of this....thanks i agree with you
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by will665 View Post
    you make a very good point...but im just saying...they need more speed. I dont give a damn about it being 2 years old, the Iphone came out in 2007 and it is much more responsive and faster
    The iphone is on its 4th iteration. The pre is on its 1st (unless you consider the plus and new phone, which I don't. More like 1.5).
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    The iphone is on its 4th iteration. The pre is on its 1st (unless you consider the plus and new phone, which I don't. More like 1.5).
    the 2007 version*
    It is overclocked
    if your phone is overclocked and your having all those issues...then yea, it's your phone. my phone is overclocked with uberkernel and i use the screenstate 250/800 custom profile and my phone is just as smooth as that oversized evo.
    Okay lets be honest....Palm sucks....but wait, let me back this up. I absolutely love the Pixi/Pre and WebOS, but this stuff is not backed up by solid hardware. I am all about speed and this is something that these devices seriously lack. Obviously there are patches (Govnah and UberKernel) that will increase speed but there should never be a need for these. When it comes out of the box it should already be "Lightning Fast". Why does it take 3 seconds to load when I click "add as contact". Why does it become jittery when scrolling through menus. Why does it have at least a second lag when i use the back gesture on messaging and other apps. Google Maps, although dependent on your network status, is painful to load. Opening emails takes at least 3-4 seconds of just sitting there and waiting for it to catch up. Even pressing the speaker button on calls takes a sec to activate. Do Iphones and android phones do this....NO. So why say we are going to compete with these phones with our new WebOS and use weak hardware. My point being, WebOS and the design of the Pixi/Pre are great. I have no complaints about this at all. But why develop such a great OS and phone if your going to back it up with weak processors. I understand they wanted to increase battery life but there has to be a better way of doing this than decreasing processor speed and size. I am very optimistic about the recent merger with HP and hopefully these devices will get better hardware put into them rather than some underpowered processors. Id be surprised if someone disagreed...seriously take a step off the Palm high horse for a second and think ab it.

First of all their are plenty of threads complaining about pre/pixi hardware; so what gives you the idea to create two new identical threads, let alone one.
    (thanx to the mods for moving your posts)

secondly no one is disagreeing with you about shoddy hardware, ecspecially in earlier builds. and no one is disagreeing with you that we could use newer more powerful hardware. ok so no one is on any high horse here.

Thirdly i believe you are way over exaggerating, or your specific phone is screwed up. i have a pixi and it is fast . yeah there is a lil lag here and there but nothing as bad as you make it seem. we all know that if gpu was enabled they would be super fast.

and finally yes android has lags and lags even worse than webos phones. maybe not the evo, and all the new 1ghz phones. but sprint htc hero and the g1 and the droid eris, are slower than molasses. so before you start your flame campaign educate your self and do a little reading before starting two identical threads.
    the 2007 version*
    Ok, here is where we must agree to disagree. My experience with the original must be completely different than yours because it is definitely not faster hardware-wise. And also, the OS has had nearly 4 years to mature, so ANY improvements in the performance of the original is attributed to that alone.
    Again, give it time. If you like the OS, then you can rest assured that better hardware is on the way. *****ing about the problems of a phone that's a year and a half old is pointless.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Two things are really annoying and Palm doesn't seem to take it as an issue:

1. Multilanguage ability
    - Does not support other symbols in SMS (e.g. Russian)
    - No real VKB available (patch is nice, but has restrictions)

2. Roaming
    - It's a nightmare loosing connection all the time when roaming.
    Especially, in Europe, where I am travelling often it fails a lot.
    Wanted to use for business. But this makes it horrible
    - Reception could be better in general

Currently, I couldn't recommend it to others
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmonday73 View Post
    2. Roaming
    - It's a nightmare loosing connection all the time when roaming.
    Especially, in Europe, where I am travelling often it fails a lot.
    Wanted to use for business. But this makes it horrible
    - Reception could be better in general

Currently, I couldn't recommend it to others
    Have you tried using the Roam Only controls in the phone menu? It helped me a lot while I was road-tripping through South Dakota (I've got Sprint, so roam generally on Verizon's network). It's not worry free but it does help.

you make a very good point...but im just saying...they need more speed. I dont give a damn about it being 2 years old, the Iphone came out in 2007 and it is much more responsive and faster
    Time for a little enlightenement. See if you can follow:

Which do you think was faster, Windows 2 or the DOS operating system on which it ran?

Which do you think runs faster now, the GNU desktop. or Linux with no desktop?

Final question, which do you think is going to run faster, a native compiled code UI, or a UI that runs on top of a JAVA engine, running on Linux?
    I went a little crazy you could say.... i've had my Pre since launch morning. I was excited and had high hopes for Palm 'this time'. Since my old VisorCentral days, about 10 years I think I've been here.... I did leave once for a little while and tried a HTC Touch Pro, but did not like the windows experience. I came back with open arms last year, but the frustration got to a point (amongst other things) that I lost it and killed my Pre. I stabbed the screen until the knife stuck in there good, then slammed it over and over again. It didn't go through all the way, so I pulled and twisted that evil harbinger of angst, and got the following results.

I waited for about a week, no phone, no connection to the interwebz. I went finally to BB looking to get a Hero, cause I did like the HTC device earlier, and hell they made Treo's back in the day.... BB had an EVO in stock and I went with it. So far I'm happy, it does a hell of a lot, like the old Treo/Visor days..... and the screen is so big (still fits perfect in my pocket, better than Pre) the onscreen keyboard in landscape or portrait works good. Bye Precentral for now....I'm over at AC, still under Diethers evil mind control somehow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Did you at least listen to Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangster while doing it?
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Dude you need anger management.
    Haha. That's awesome. It must have been satisfying.
    After a year of general dissatisfaction, I finally gave up on my Palm Pre, and replaced it with an EVO. So far, I am very pleased both with the EVO and with Android. It’s only been a week, but so far it feels like I finally have the phone that I was hoping to get a year ago. Some of this is serendipity (Kindle and Audible apps were just released for Android in the last few weeks) and some is natural evolution of the available hardware, but it does leave me with the general impression that the Pre was just not ready-for-prime-time when it was released.

Although I do feel that the WebOS UI is better than Android/Sense, the practical difference is marginal. The transparency of the WebOS card interface for dealing with open applications really is a beautiful thing and Android would benefit from something similar. However, the beauty of the WebOS UI is largely wasted on the Pre; I could rarely open more than three applications simultaneously, and, frequently could not open two without getting “too many cards". I gather that this is not a problem with the Pre Plus, but that’s not what I was using.

Meanwhile, as many long-time palm users have pointed out throughout the past year, migration from the Treo to the Pre was in many ways a software downgrade. We were forced to use “Classic” for too much key functionality yet it was crippled by the lack of USB-sync, and many applications (e.g. Audible) didn’t really work at all under Classic. The lack of USB-sync was really a critical oversight on the part of PALM. I spent the last year unable to sync my Outlook Calendar with my Pre because the only supported method required a WiFi connection, and, like many security-conscious companies, mine forbids WiFi or putting a PDA on the company network (we also block Gmail; so that wasn’t an option either). One of the best unintended consequences of my move to the EVO is that HTC’s USB Outlook calendar sync software is included by default!!!

Most significantly for me, however, is that the EVO is a much better reading platform than the Pre, and not because of the larger screen (although that doesn't hurt). The reason the EVO is a better reading platform is that both the browser and Adobe's Android pdf viewer support "reflow view", i.e. a view that wraps text to fit the screen to avoid horizontal scrolling. This simple feature, something all WAP browsers like the Treo's Blazer have, is crucial for a phone to be useful as a reader. Unfortunately, WebOS doesn't have it.

Finally, my first unit suffered from the well-known earphone jack issue (where the phone does not detect that the earphone has been removed and leaves the handset and Bluetooth audio output disabled). This was initially fixable with a soft reset, then by removing the battery, and, finally, not at all. At that point, about two months ago, Sprint replaced the unit, but the new one suffered from the same problem – honestly, that was the last straw.
    Interesting...
    not
    You'll be back.
    Hope not!
    These 'first' posts never cease to amuse
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    These 'first' posts never cease to amuse
    I don't get it either... I don't know why people who never post here feel the need to post a goodbye thread lol. If you've been an active member for a while, then I see why you would want to say "goodbye".