View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 177 of 225 FirstFirst ... 77127167172173174175176177178179180181182187 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 4493
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    The problem is i'm love this phone and am scared to get a new one. Im almost ready for my yearly upgrade. What should I do? I feel sorry for you people going to EVO, obviously you don't love your Pre like I do.
    Love or fanaticism, take your pick. It's a phone. If it wasn't for Sprint doing this premier stuff we would all be on here looking at the EVO and saying D*&^%*()((. If Palm had had better Hardware this would all be a moot point. I'm waiting to see what comes next week with Apple and then I chose. We were beta testers at best (more like guinea pigs for that matter). I'll be voting with my wallet and getting better one way or another. If HPalm can get it's act together I will be back. Otherwise it was an interesting experiment.
    On June 4th, I made my way to my local Sprint store with 2 broken Pre's. Yes, I know...that was totally the wrong day to go to a Sprint store, but a guy and his wife need to be able to use their phones. Two days prior, my wife's screen cracked in the top right corner (for the second time) and my power button stopped working. I was on my 4th Pre. The folks at the Sprint store were completely rude...saying it was damage caused by us, so on to the next store. At the 2nd Sprint store, the associate stated that my wife definitely abused her phone and that it was her fault. Now my wife caries that phone around like it's a new-born baby, and certainly has never hit the phone, let alone dropped it. After much discussion, and manager involvement, I told them I wasn't leaving the store until I got a different phone (as in other than Palm). They agreed to replace my phone, as it would appear to the ordinary person that a 5th phone would be approaching the ridiculous. As for my wife's phone, they would not budge on the fact that it was her fault. No biggie though...she was due for an upgrade. We both went Android, and aren't going to look back...ok...I admit...I'll look back a bit.

Why I will Look back:
    1. WebOS is a brilliant concept and demonstrates genious.
    2. PreCentral and it's community is very cool.
    3. Multitasking.

Why I absolutely love Android:
    1. Fast...every app pretty much just opens up right away...good luck on a Pre. Oh, and no more 10 minute boot times…that’s ridiculous Palm.
    2. Dependable...no more super annoying "Too many cards" errors, everything just works. Oh...I probably won't have to worry about screen cracks, goofy power buttons, a phone that spontaneously reboots or shuts down, etc.
    3. Battery Life...I can actually make it through the day.
    4. Android is actually being developed for...as a webOS dev, it's pretty clear that people are abandoning the platform

Ok. I admit it. I'm still trying to flick apps and launcher pages on Android. I will miss that. Things have gotten eerily quiet at Palm, and I think they are seeing the light (my opinion). However, for a lot of us folks who depend on our phones for our livelihood, and who travel a ton, we need a phone that works. Bottom line.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have had a palm since 05 with the treo 650. Unfortunately, it seems that the pre just isn't being developed for and noone is recommending it anymore. Thinking of going to the new evo 4g phone. Played around with it and it seems really nice. I still love my pre though. :/
    Why do people have zero involvement on the forums while owning the phone, but then feel the need to finally write a post when they leave? Seriously, we never even knew you were here.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    It is becoming increasingly difficult to root for the Pre. I bought a pre plus with the belief in the platform. Webos is a brilliant little operating system. With the proper hardware this OS can literately fly. Proof can be seen with the overclocking kernel. Imagine webos running on something like an EVO. The phone would ignite into flames the os would be so fast and efficient.

However, android has one thing that the palm pre will unfortunately never get...solid, useful apps. The operating system can only take the phone so far. Both my mom and my brother have android phones and the things Google and other parties have put on that system are not only very cool, but very USEFUL.

There is no other device that has mastered multitasking like the pre...but the competition has pulled away and palm is left sitting at the starting line with a full tank of gas. They have all this potential, and have ultimately done nothing with it.

Hp might be able to pull palm out of the funk, but it maybe too little too late. Unless they come out hard, which it looks like they won't, the pre is ultimately dead.

The only thing I can say is, thank goodness I got a one year contract.

OH and one more thing. If the iphone doesn't come to another carrier this Monday, Apple will be missing a huge window, and it may be just what Android needs to pull away from them as well. We shall see.
    I am using the Evo now and love it the hardware is top notch, but I am finding reception issues even more than the pre. I really do miss the webos though.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    My Sprint pre keeps sayings phone offline and it wont reconnect unless i restart it. i have doctored my phone and this still happens... anyone know what i can do?
    I have an Evo on order. After going through 5 WebOS phones (3 Pixis and 2 Pres... all warranty replacements except the first Pre) and them all having the same issues of stability and unresponsiveness, I had enough.

Here's to hoping the Evo gives me better luck!
    Got my Pre April 29th , 2010 but it has developed an "ISSUE" so it has gone back to the mfr, a replacement ( probably a Refurb.) is on the way to the repair shop and in the meantime I'm back to using my Centro.

Which prompts this post and hopefully it is in the correct thread!

THere are many things I like about the PRe especially where accessing the web on the go is concerned but looking over this list, I'm wondering how much I really need a fancy web device - or just a phone/PDA that works well?

After using a Palm T3 for years with hardly ANY troubles at all; knowing that the stand alone PDA device was robust, user friendly and highly customizable it is perplexing that adding phone capabilities to these "PDAs" seems to set them teetering from great device to expensive paperweight!

That being said, here are the things that are VERY noticeable differences from the Centro functionality vs. the Pre: No, I am NOT comparing browser speed, form factor, screen size or resolution, and not even touching on multitasking - JUST the usability of this pocket companion!

1) Centro allows local synchronization on home PC, Pre does not.
    2) Centro allows me to control my contacts, Pre automatically imports everything from all accounts.
    3) Centro plays audible books from Audible.com - Pre Does not.
    4) Centro sends and receives files via bluetooth - Pre does not.
    5) When inputting text on a website or forum the Centro cursor and text remains visible, the Pre cursor (and text) goes off screen so you cannot see what you have written!
    6) Centro works with Data-viz, the Palm Pre needs an intermediary program to work with Data-viz.
    7) Centro allows me to change default browser, Pre does not - well it offers ability to change but Google is only option!
    8) Centro allows me to delete email on device and this deletes email from subscribed email accounts - pre does not(?) - or maybe I haven't figured out how to set this up, this may be a sprint email kudo?
    9) Centro allows me to create a slide show with my photos, Pre does not.
    10) Centro allows me to create albums on the device to put photos in, Pre requires tethering to USB port and PC.
    11) Centro touch screen also doubles as a note pad/sketch pad, Pre does not.
    12) Centro allows calculator usage without having to use keyboard, Pre does not.
    13) Centro's D pad is quite handy when locating text in a document, pre's key /tap sequence isn't always responsive.
    14) Centro easily manages copy and paste, pre seems befuddled by request.
    15) Centro has built in color theme options, pre does not.

16)Centro has expandable/changeable micro sd slot, Pre does not.

Many of these items have been longstanding abilities of Palm devices and seeing them excluded from the Pre is disappointing to say the least! I certainly hope my replacement Pre is a fully functioning device!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I was one of the rabid fans who were so gung-ho about the Pre when it launched last year. I bought one of the first ones in Canada when it launched on Bell. I've been through 4 replacements. However, the newest phone has started shutting down on me randomly and I just don't feel like going through the replacement process (plus the cost - $150 deductible on Bell, even with the insurance).

I hope HP can get WebOS to where it should be, and marry it with a hardware platform that can actually perform. Maybe I'll come back if that ever happens. Until then, I'm looking pretty hard at a Nexus One.

Sorry Palm. It's been fun, but at some point I have to stop spending so much time worrying about whether my phone is going to work in a week.
    I did leave my Palm... for a day.

My dad went for the Evo, and I took his old Samsung Moment for a "test drive." Android truly is a beautiful, stable, and fast platform, and has no lack of customizable options.

That being said, the customizable options became too much for me. I wanted something that would just work, without me having to add programs, tweaks, and patches to make the phone work the way I want it to.

After much debate with myself, I finally made the decision tonight to switch back to the ol' Palm Pre. There are really two things that keep me hooked on Webos:

1.Synergy. To me, this is very underrated. Just the fact that my Facebook, Outlook, Gmail, and phone contacts can all be in one place (virtually anyone I have ever contacted) is truly amazing. Even the simple things with Synergy make a really cool experience, like when the Facebook user picture pops up when a friend calls. I am aware that Android has programs and settings that will allow you to do some of the same things, but as I mentioned above, I don't want all the hassle- I just want it to work.

2.Multitasking. This drove me NUTS the entire time I had the Android phone. I would open another app, and completely forget that I couldn't go back to the previous one without going back to the home menu, pulling the tab up, and selecting the program again. I couldn't get used to this.

The only thing that would ever pry my hands from my Palm (and possibly to the Evo) is developer support. Hopefully this will improve with time.
    Well... in my short time of owning a pixi, I changed phones already.. I caved and got the EVO. On the good side, my wife has a brand new pixi I really miss the card setup now, but I love everything else.
    Just shows you didn't know how to use hour phone since a lomg press on the home key brings up the active/recent apps.
    [QUOTE=Nate;2495300]
    2.Multitasking. This drove me NUTS the entire time I had the Android phone. I would open another app, and completely forget that I couldn't go back to the previous one without going back to the home menu, pulling the tab up, and selecting the program again. I couldn't get used to this.[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I did leave my Palm... for a day.

My dad went for the Evo, and I took his old Samsung Moment for a "test drive." Android truly is a beautiful, stable, and fast platform, and has no lack of customizable options.

That being said, the customizable options became too much for me. I wanted something that would just work, without me having to add programs, tweaks, and patches to make the phone work the way I want it to.

After much debate with myself, I finally made the decision tonight to switch back to the ol' Palm Pre. There are really two things that keep me hooked on Webos:

1.Synergy. To me, this is very underrated. Just the fact that my Facebook, Outlook, Gmail, and phone contacts can all be in one place (virtually anyone I have ever contacted) is truly amazing. Even the simple things with Synergy make a really cool experience, like when the Facebook user picture pops up when a friend calls. I am aware that Android has programs and settings that will allow you to do some of the same things, but as I mentioned above, I don't want all the hassle- I just want it to work.

2.Multitasking. This drove me NUTS the entire time I had the Android phone. I would open another app, and completely forget that I couldn't go back to the previous one without going back to the home menu, pulling the tab up, and selecting the program again. I couldn't get used to this.

The only thing that would ever pry my hands from my Palm (and possibly to the Evo) is developer support. Hopefully this will improve with time.
    I just checked and Sense UI's people app does have synergy and can sync multiple accounts in one place. It will link Facebook and google, and twitter too I believe. Just like WebOS it will add the profile pics to your contacts. I believe that webos does sync more services, however. Sense does sync birthdays if that mattes for you.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    @voodootrip... I'll forgive you, but only if you tell me if you've used the hdmi out yet? Is it decent quality video and sound? Or is it a finicky gimmick? How cool is the idea that you can play video streaming to your phone on your tv?

I travel a lot for work... would love to be able to Slingbox from my phone to the hotel room tv.

I'm sticking with my Pre at least another year :::knock on wood:::, but I love seeing the competition in the smartphone market producing consistently better products for the consumer.
    Last edited by runukraine; 06/07/2010 at 01:15 AM.
    I will be getting the HDMI cable tomorrow. I will post back some results then.
    The back light of my Pre keypad does not seems to light up anymore, not sure what patch i put in did that. I dont remember putting any keyboard related patch except install the virtual keyboard but removed it soon after as it is too slow.

Anyone has any experience on this?
    Well, it's finally happened - my Palm Pre has died - it's been threatening to do so ever since I put OS 1.4 on it (well, before that to be honest) and now I can't even get my USB data off it.

What's happened? Well, I've no idea - this morning I've tried to use it and it's just saying "SOS Only". Home phone signal is laughable at best so I assumed it was that - however - outside, it still wasn't working. A soft reset has only made things worse though, even though I can now get to O2, as now it won't even log me on to my Palm profile which means I can't get to any menus or anything - I can't use my USB cable as that doesn't give me any option to get to the USB side of the phone.

I've been on to O2 (45 minute phone call) and tried a number of things, all of which have failed.

My Palm Pre experience hasn't been the positive one I had hoped for:
    • Battery life is laughable - 14 hours has been the worst (a few days ago) - 36 hours at best (but only when I didn't use it and turned off all the location services - rendering the smart phone as, well, just a phone)
    • Upgrading to OS 1.4 required a factory reset
    • You can't back it up properly (texts, etc)
    • It constantly drops calls
    • It constantly drops off the network without me knowing
    • GPS isn't particularly good
    • The camera is good, but the options for taking photos is surprisingly limited
    • It gets hot, often for no apparent reason - usually when I'm using the internet

Unfortunately, I'm restricted to keeping the phone for another few months - at which point, I'll have to reconsider what I get for the future. I don't think Palm have got this phone right as you have to do so many custom things to it to make it work properly.

My service provider have been very good, to be fair, but I can'thelp but wonder if the other providers have dodged this particular bullet.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but this has been the most unpleasant phone owning experience I've had - and my Nokia N95 was pretty poor at that too....
    How about you use Webos doctor and comeback with the good news.