View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 167 of 225 FirstFirst ... 67117157162163164165166167168169170171172177217 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 4493
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Are you guys kidding? If you have ever owned a Palm Treo they always had the abilty to move messages to a particular folder. There were "saved, sent, and recieved/inbox" folders So dont know what phones you all had.. its definitely a feature that even Palm once offered so the OP definitely has a strong arguement here. Not that I ever used it much but there were definitely one or two "saved" text messages in my saved folder.
    The one that gets me is not having a "character count". Granted, I downloaded a patch to fix that, but seriously, how do you even release a sms app and not have a character count?

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    Are you guys kidding? If you have ever owned a Palm Treo they always had the abilty to move messages to a particular folder. There were "saved, sent, and recieved/inbox" folders So dont know what phones you all had.. its definitely a feature that even Palm once offered so the OP definitely has a strong arguement here. Not that I ever used it much but there were definitely one or two "saved" text messages in my saved folder.
    I've have quite a few past Treo's but I never knew it was there and don't see that I would have ever utilized the feature anyways.

And I totally agree on GodShapedHole's statement of [The argument of "my old phone could do this" is a non-argument.] If there was a trivially small feature in the past, should the relatively tiny percentage of those that used it EXPECT said feature to be included in every phone going forward?

Think about it...there will always be features that are "unpopular" that some feel they can't live without. Is it reasonable to ask that ALL features, used or unused, be brought forward?
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    sms character count?

The Pre automatically breaks apart tong sms into multiple sms and sends them, so effectively there is no character limit you need to worry about.

So what's the point of knowing how many characters you've typed?
    Honestly I think that with people using less and less voice minutes and instead using services like SMS, & IM & EMAIL, that the interface for such services should be enhanced as well. I have at least 30 or so conversations in my text messaging list. I don't get why there isn't even an option to 'View Unread' or 'View Read' (mark read,mark unread) i just think that there should be more options if you tap&hold a conversation in list view.

something more useful in organizing a large list of contact conversations would definitely be good.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    sms character count?

The Pre automatically breaks apart tong sms into multiple sms and sends them, so effectively there is no character limit you need to worry about.

So what's the point of knowing how many characters you've typed?
    to try and limit approaching that character limit and forcing an extra text msg when in most cases one message is just enough to convey what you probably want to say via txt, i would think?...
    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post
    The one that gets me is not having a "character count". Granted, I downloaded a patch to fix that, but seriously, how do you even release a sms app and not have a character count?

Eric
    By making it a unified messaging app that also takes GMail, Yahoo, AIM and Jabber, for which the character count is absolutely useless to the point where it can be annoying. They figured that simply telling you how many SMSes you're sending (i.e. giving you a little bubble containing a "2" once you've gone over the limit for one SMS) would make the count redundant.
    I wonder if people would not feel the same if another company, maybe one that is so charismatic that it can do no wrong in the public eye and one that can do absolutely anything and have it called a revolution, had come up with it instead of Palm. And in any case, there IS a patch for that.

Arguing that one should not have to install a patch to get X functionality is tantamount to arguing that every single functionality that is possible should ship with any phone as one should not be forced to download a fart app just to play those sounds. You CAN do these things. If you're too lazy to do them (and you'd have to be lazy indeed), that's your problem. It kind of seems like a much higher percentage of iPhone users is willing to void their warranty by jailbreaking and getting Cydia, which is much more difficult, than Palm users are to simply install Preware, which is easier and doesn't void your warranty.
    iPhone users will tell you it's the genius of iPhone that it can be jailbroken and all the extra functionality is awesome; Palm users will tell you that they're entitled to EVERYTHING OUT OF THE BOX and shouldn't have to enter 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart' as that would ruin their day.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6 View Post
    I have at least 30 or so conversations in my text messaging list. I don't get why there isn't even an option to 'View Unread' or 'View Read' (mark read,mark unread).

something more useful in organizing a large list of contact conversations would definitely be good.
    I thought that is what the app does already. When I get a new SMS I have the notification on the bottom of my screen. If I get more than one it will show how many new messages I have. If I swipe it away to clear the notification area I can launch the messaging app and the newest messages will be at the top of my list. I can also see how many unread messages there are for each conversation by the little circle with the number of unread messages right next to the senders name or # in the list view.

The only thing missing is the mass "mark read/unread" which if you are marking all of your unread sms messages as read, without actually reading them, then why would you even want to be able to identify unread messages?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    iPhone users will tell you it's the genius of iPhone that it can be jailbroken and all the extra functionality is awesome; Palm users will tell you that they're entitled to EVERYTHING OUT OF THE BOX and shouldn't have to enter 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart' as that would ruin their day.
    Simply amazing...

It is strangely bizarre to see the Apple f'boys back up their products to no end and experience the polar opposite on this Pre forum.

I, since the beginning, put some blame on the negative attitude on this forum for WebOS not being more successful than it currently is. For those claiming that it was a downright sin for Palm to not release their phone with a video recorder still tickles me.

Its obvious negative feelings get expressed by word of mouth. When it comes to telling someone to stay away from WebOS over something trivial, that's when the user base is to blame.

Don't agree with me? ...well I expect many on this forum not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I thought that is what the app does already. When I get a new SMS I have the notification on the bottom of my screen. If I get more than one it will show how many new messages I have. If I swipe it away to clear the notification area I can launch the messaging app and the newest messages will be at the top of my list. I can also see how many unread messages there are for each conversation by the little circle with the number of unread messages right next to the senders name or # in the list view.

The only thing missing is the mass "mark read/unread" which if you are marking all of your unread sms messages as read, without actually reading them, then why would you even want to be able to identify unread messages?
    Im not referring to notifications. those are fine. Im referencing the actual in-app functionality available. Why WOULDN'T somebody want to be able to see unread messages at a glance?? I also want to be able to single out messages that I may have read but never got around to replying to as well.
    Please believe me, this just makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6 View Post
    Im referencing the actual in-app functionality available. Why WOULDN'T somebody want to be able to see unread messages at a glance??
    You can see them at a glance. You open the messaging app and little circles with the number of unread messages appear for each and every user that has sent you a message you haven't read.
    I understand that, I want to see the OVERALL amount of ppl whom i have unread messages for. Like when I check my facebook, or yahoo and it tells you how many unread messages you have in your inbox.

the same way for example if you go to the text contact list view and type the 1st letter of a name and it automatically populates how many occurrences of it is listed in your messaging in a small convenient gray circle on top right of the app...
    I'd say just the ability to navigate the conversations themselves is the thing that's missing, in addition to a search feature. Having the ability to jump to the top of conversations or jump back days at time seems reasonable enough.
    If you are SUPER NICE and like to help learning devs, click below =)

Thank You
  14. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Is it possible to start a new paragraph in a text message? I would like that feature, unless I am missing how to do it. Sometimes in long texts it does not look, or read well without a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by END View Post
    Is it possible to start a new paragraph in a text message? I would like that feature, unless I am missing how to do it. Sometimes in long texts it does not look, or read well without a break.
    this would be much appreciated too.

Thank You
    There's a patch for that (Enter Key for New Line)
    but this doesn't actually format the text as a paragraph. On your phone it does but it still sends it as a block.

Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    "no decent GPS app" you must be joking! There are some tremndous gps apps out there....

-minimap
    -maptool
    -geocaching for webos
    -trapster
    -gpsdashboard

just to name a few....
    Yeah, and I know one more! Hint, hint!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This is another reason why I prefer to sync with Outlook rather than the cloud. I do most of my add/change/delete from Outlook, so it is convenient for me. And Outlook supports categories to help me keep stuff organized in hopes of the day that Palm puts categories into the contact app.

I hope that helps. Other than those suggestions, I think txt isn't something you can back up on any phone... including Android. Someone will chime in if I am wrong...
    ... I prefer to use the 'cloud' I guess you would call it (Google Contacts) because I can edit a majority of the same info anywhere. (not the text of course) GoogleTalk has logs, so, there's another preference that can be worked from.

I do believe Android has a way, and plenty of apps that backup, and resend, forward, modify, and pretty much anything you want to do with a text. I've taken a liking to MobileSpy for Android. Mobile Spy - Android Spy Software - Silent SMS, GPS and Call Monitoring This is a small example of what they can do with their text messages. This app works well. My wife got it for our youngest daughter (12 w/ Hero).
    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post

Eric
    Because Sprint forces you the unlimited (SEP, SEFP) and character count doesn't affect us?? If its to large doesn't it turn it to sms?