View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 166 of 225 FirstFirst ... 66116156161162163164165166167168169170171176216 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 4493
    theres 3 separate patches for timestamps.

love it
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    ....You could always copy and paste it and then e-mail it to yourself or save it on the SD card.

Checkout the app section and request an app to do what your asking, who knows maybe a developer will create it.
    Great ideas, but what SD card?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Great ideas, but what SD card?
    I think they meant HD. Another option for saving txt messages, if you have a GoogleVoice Account they save everything. Give everyone your googleVoice number. I think Dieter had some ideas for auto-replies to txts with your new GV number.

I agree though, not sure why you are saving txt messages. I dont' save them, but just scrolling thru my conversations with my wife, it goes all the way back to March (probably further I stopped scrolling). That is a long time.

Maybe someone above is correct, your best bet might be to ask someone to create an app, or try it for your self. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by MDbandit View Post
    like folders? or a timestamp per text?

I dearly would like simpl folders. Especially a saved folder to move important texts/chats to. Also maybe the ability to create new folders of our liking. that WOuld help to sort out family, work chats etc.

And so theres no patch available to do this either?

Why does Palm leave out the simple things?

Is this feature on the upcoming EVO ?
    This is another reason why I prefer to sync with Outlook rather than the cloud. I do most of my add/change/delete from Outlook, so it is convenient for me. And Outlook supports categories to help me keep stuff organized in hopes of the day that Palm puts categories into the contact app.

As it stands, I believe that Palm considers each account to be a category (facebook, google, yahoo, etc) and you can toggle them off/on to reduce clutter. I couldn't disagree with Palm more, and I hope this is something they change - or that a contact app can be written by someone to add that functionality back.

In terms of text messages, I don't know if any phone that lets you back them up. The may be out there, but I've never had one. In fact, most "dumb" phones want you to keep them purged or it screws up the phone. Same with the call history. Keeping that list short seems to improve performance on every "dumb phone" and smart phone I've ever had - including blackberry, Treo, Centro, Pre, etc...

Text messages are designed to be throw away, best effort, etc. That's why you can "send" a txt to a non-mobile number and you have no idea that it won't ever get there... In fact, my company has txt messaging turned off on our blackberry devices, so I have to use email to "txt" with mobile users. I made sure those few people that need to text me ether send it to my Pre, or know to send it to my email so it gets to my BB.

If you want to make them more permanent, you can try using the email app. For example, you can send txt messages to VZ users by using phonenumber@vtext.com as the address. If they reply to it, that should come back to your username@maildomain.com address.

I don't recall the syntax for other carriers, but I know they are similar. I'm pretty sure that there is an "email" address associated with every mobile phone number as part of how txt worked before the carriers let texting inter-operate with each other... but it's been awhile since I've messed with it so the details are fuzzy.

I hope that helps. Other than those suggestions, I think txt isn't something you can back up on any phone... including Android. Someone will chime in if I am wrong...
    For Android you had to use a third party app to do it. WaveSecure was what I used.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LunaticX View Post
    theres 3 separate patches for timestamps.

love it
    The patch for the timestamp clean is the best IMO, so what he said... there are 3 to choose from!

Im sure there is a work around for saving and moving messages to avail. space on the internal storage. Maybe using internalz to move it and a simple word viewer to read it?

I can understand the concern because even my old treo 755p (palm) had a folder for saved messages, sent, etc etc good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I hope that helps. Other than those suggestions, I think txt isn't something you can back up on any phone... including Android. Someone will chime in if I am wrong...
    There are some backup/restore SMS solutions for android:

example:
    SMS Backup & Restore - Android Stuff

Maybe one of them could be implemented for the Pre.

I dearly would like simpl folders. Especially a saved folder to move important texts/chats to. Also maybe the ability to create new folders of our liking. that WOuld help to sort out family, work chats etc.

What makes this a "basic" feature? What other phone has folders? For that matter, what messaging package has it?
    For WM, I use PPCPimBackup

I had a windows pocket pc phone centuries ago and it had folders

And a treo you could do it on (with windows)

This palm was my first phone in a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time that was not windows mobile

And if Android doesnt do it either, why not? I'm the only one interested in such features? so no demand so they choose not to implement?
    So you're putting down Palm for not implementing a "basic" feature that a particular phone "centuries ago" had that very few, if any, phones have currently? And you go so far as asking "why does Palm leave out the simple things"? Really...?
    Save/restore allows you to backup your sms easily, run the backup and grab the SMS.html-file from your pres USB-drive in saverestore/com.app.palm.messages/.
    It's a html-file that even contains a formated table!
    I think the problem is this phone does most of what a PC does ( I use my netbook sooo much less now) that they are looking for PC features and assuming they are going to be in a smartphone that is as advanced as webOS. Not unreasonable, but not something we will see until the underlying OS for all spartphones have matured more and become less closed. We wouldn't be having this discussion about Blackberry or even iPhone. Over time, file systems will open up, and stuff like this will be considered standard.... IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Save/restore allows you to backup your sms easily, run the backup and grab the SMS.html-file from your pres USB-drive in saverestore/com.app.palm.messages/.
    It's a html-file that even contains a formated table!
    Hey cool. I will be swapping my Pre in the next day or two, so I will try that...

Don't you just love the homebrew guys? They are always a step ahead. Palm REALLY needs to run a commercial with the tag line "there's a patch for that" because it seems to always be true... Now if Palm would just add a bunch of the obvious patches into the core OS so the homebrewers could focus on more advanced stuff!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Palm adds most of the homebrew stuff to the upcoming OS.
    Are you guys seriously saying your past phones did not allow you to store messages in folders?

Every phone I've had for the last 10 years had the ability to create folders and store texts away from the inbox, which is what I believe the OP is referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by _cal_ View Post
    Are you guys seriously saying your past phones did not allow you to store messages in folders?

Every phone I've had for the last 10 years had the ability to create folders and store texts away from the inbox, which is what I believe the OP is referring to.
    Well I guess you had better list them here, because it seems to be a foreign concept to everyone here. I have owned a number of smart phones and dumb phones, and don't remember ever seeing this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by _cal_ View Post

None of the phones i've had in the last 10 years have been able to do that. This is ranging across all the major carriers.

It comes down to phone choices and the options available after that choice.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Listen, just because BB did it doesn't make it a 'basic feature'

Actually, I take that back. My Treos had the ability to do it. Never really felt the need to use it. Still don't. Didn't use it on the treo because there wasn't ever anything so important in an sms message I couldn't lose. If it -was- that important, I coped and pasted it to a note or emailed to to myself. The treos would crash if their sms databases got over a certain size, so you really couldn't keep all that much in them anyway.

The reason why Palm hasn't implemented SMS messaging this way is because of how they integrated SMS messaging and Instant Messaging. I don't recall EVER having -any- instant messenger that let you save IM's from one person to another 'folder'. In order to allow you to do it on the Pre/Pixi, they'd have to separate these and I think that it'd be a huge step backward. You would no longer be able to go from IM to sms and back and keep the convo in one list like that w/o things starting to get really complicated.
    Last edited by ssrjazz; 05/17/2010 at 11:07 AM.
    OK, my WinMo phones could do this. They did have that feature. I merely never used it, nor saw any need to.

I don't mind not being able to do this on my Pre; its consolidated messaging is absolutely fantastic and I'd much, much much rather have it than the option of copying a text message into a separate folder.

The argument of "my old phone could do this" is a non-argument. Not everything that's new needs to emulate everything that's old. New things are new, and it makes more sense to cut features you don't think many people will use than to keep amassing every single feature. We call this behavior "feature creep", and it's frowned upon for good reasons. I don't think a large proportion of users misses this feature, or many of the other "missing basic features" that everybody got their panties in a bunch over.
    My Pre doesn't have a 123-456-789-*0# keyboard either, and that's a missing feature, too. My old Nokia had one. Don't count on your 2020 Toyota Electric Vehicle on having a 2.5mpg petrofuel engine either, only because "your last car had one".

Maybe an idea for a patch developer though: tapping on a message gives you options of "copy text to clipboard", "forward by email" and such. Maybe develop a patch that adds an option to "copy message to ARCHIVE", and let that patch create a conversation with a dummy account called ARCHIVE. Copied message could be given a header detailing the recipient(s) of the original messages. Would such a patch fulfill your desire for this feature?