View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 225 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    The phone app has issues with how smoothly it scrolls. this just isn't something you can or should defend. The choppiness is not a design decision. It's a bug and it needs to be smoothened out a little. that's it.
    It's not a big deal.
    Is it just the phone app or do other apps have the same problem in your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Is it just the phone app or do other apps have the same problem in your opinion?
    I've seen similar issues with other apps. I think the end result depends on the app. A couple of examples:

The Contacts app used to scroll rougher than it does now. They've improved it, but if you go fast enough, it "bounces" as it goes. It stops at a certain point (I think as it's trying to read data), and then does a "bounce", then picks up more data and lets you continue on.

Much like the phone though, this only happens if you're scrolling faster than you would be able to read. I seldom even use the contact list, so I haven't had a problem with it.

The browser though, acts differently. If you go to a long web page, and scroll beyond what the browser has stored in memory, you get a checkerboard as it loads that part of the page.

That one is a bigger problem (to me), but still not a major problem. To me, it's just one of the limitations of a mobile device.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I see google maps and youtube to be sloppy , laggy , buggy , ....... call what ever you want them.

But you can get them to work if you are patient enough ( which is subjective)

Oh wait a sec , the Live TV app too. But its not a big deal to me.

Google maps is a big deal. and should be fixed asap.
    I think it depends on where you're coming from. For example, if you're used to broadband, then using dialup is painful and probably unacceptable for many.

Someone coming from a Centro would probably love or be impressed by the Pre's browser more than say someone from an iphone 3GS.

In that respect, given the majority of Pre buyers came from previous Sprint phones, I can see why the love is out there. They are used to the lag of Treos or whatever phone it was, many never had multitasking or notifications, etc.

If you're coming from an iphone, the 3GS in particular, then you're perspective is just different. Or a blackberry.

But I will say in any smartphone i've used, the phone app is usually something i don't worry about. The Pre's, while usable, isn't highly reliable and like the broadband to dial up comparison, is a pain to use. How much pain is subjective. Fortunately, to make calls i usually start typing and press enter. Easy. Ending them, using the phone pad, or answering calls is the pain.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    okay guys
    here is something I found ,

My Pre call history has

ALL THE CALLS STARTING FROM JUNE 6th 2009

May be this is the culprit , the SQLLITE working hard to get these entries when the phone app is opened.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    If you are patient , try scrolling all the way back and check for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've seen similar issues with other apps. I think the end result depends on the app. A couple of examples:

The Contacts app used to scroll rougher than it does now. They've improved it, but if you go fast enough, it "bounces" as it goes. It stops at a certain point (I think as it's trying to read data), and then does a "bounce", then picks up more data and lets you continue on.

Much like the phone though, this only happens if you're scrolling faster than you would be able to read. I seldom even use the contact list, so I haven't had a problem with it.

The browser though, acts differently. If you go to a long web page, and scroll beyond what the browser has stored in memory, you get a checkerboard as it loads that part of the page.

That one is a bigger problem (to me), but still not a major problem. To me, it's just one of the limitations of a mobile device.
    These issues don't seem to be the sorts of things that would be addressed by makeing use of the GPU. They seem to be data binding or memory footprint issues.
    just the "call log" for me
    everything else works great, no scrolling lag in any other apps as far as ive noticed
    like i said it isnt a big deal for me, but it is there. I hardly scroll calls logs with the pre,
    i'm usually texting.
    I'm the type of person who is bothered by UI lag, but as a software developer myself - I also know what causes it and why it happens. Based on my ownership time with the Pre I can see why people like Mikah take the stances they do. There is going to be a subset of the population that expects everything to work as fast as their older/physical button controlled phone vs how Palm handles all functionality with a software/touchscreen interface.

That being said, considering what the phone can do (copy and paste an email fragment into a web browser page while using speakerphone to tell someone about the restaurants in your area that you are viewing in google maps) all at once, I make certain allowances for raw speed and usability in any one specific area. For me, the added functionality of the multitasking outweigh the UI slowing a bit trying to handle everything.

There are just people that do not notice/care/use or understand how amazing that sort of multitasking functionality is. They will NOT cut the phone a break, and so you have this thread... Call me old fashioned but the fact there is this sort of computing power in something that now fits in my pocket is kind of cool to me.

That being said, the first few times I received a call on the phone I was a little alarmed at how the phone lagged a bit in the animation associated with bringing up the phone app and (so I thought) starting the call. I could really see this becoming a massive problem - enough for me to complain in a forum thread about. A few calls later I quickly realized the phone was actually not waiting for the phone app to load before it connected the call, it was doing so almost instantly after the unlock motion was completed. Once I realized this my "building disappointment" was tempered and I realized that someone at Palm actually did use the phone before they sold it and came to the same conclusion as I would have that the phone app need to get priority so as to make that connection as fast as possible.

So, I'm now at the point where the phone part of the phone is fine. Is it perfectly amazing and better than any phone I'd ever used? No. In fact, my previous LG Rumor was definitely better at "just being a phone". A call came in, it rang instantly, I click the button on the front that said TALK and there you go. If my grandma asked for a recommendation on what phone to buy I would not tell her to get a Pre, I'd tell her to get a Rumor - because she doesn't care about what else it can do.

I think there's a point somewhere in all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    I used to have a phone that never gave me problems. The ring tone was not fancy, but I could hear it anywhere I ever used it. The call quality was fantasitc, I don't thing I ever once used the phrase "can you hear me now". There were almost never power problems with it either. I'm not sure all of the details, but even during extended power outages, it continued working. As a matter of fact, it was so reliable in this respect that when it failed, everyone knew that there were serious problems.

It was a bit limited though. No screen display, no custom ring tones, and you still had a cord connecting it to the wall so you couldn't go anywhere with it.

But wow; reliable, no delay, and did everything (the few things) it was designed to do almost without error.

I like what I have now better.

I think maybe that was your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

It was a bit limited though. No screen display, no custom ring tones, and you still had a cord connecting it to the wall so you couldn't go anywhere with it.

Haha
    Last edited by GMoney749; 08/27/2009 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think it depends on where you're coming from. For example, if you're used to broadband, then using dialup is painful and probably unacceptable for many.

Someone coming from a Centro would probably love or be impressed by the Pre's browser more than say someone from an iphone 3GS.

In that respect, given the majority of Pre buyers came from previous Sprint phones, I can see why the love is out there. They are used to the lag of Treos or whatever phone it was, many never had multitasking or notifications, etc.

If you're coming from an iphone, the 3GS in particular, then you're perspective is just different. Or a blackberry.

But I will say in any smartphone i've used, the phone app is usually something i don't worry about. The Pre's, while usable, isn't highly reliable and like the broadband to dial up comparison, is a pain to use. How much pain is subjective. Fortunately, to make calls i usually start typing and press enter. Easy. Ending them, using the phone pad, or answering calls is the pain.
    I agree with this to a point. I think if you pick out individual elements and compare them, you may be disappointed in some areas, but comparing the Pre to my old BB on the whole, it's no contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I didn't know as I assumed Palm could deliver a phone experience on par with year-old featurephones.
    Well there's your problem.

A friend of mine just got rid of his week-old mytouch 3g and went back to the Iphone. He had the first iphone for a couple years (which he was happy with for the most part) but didn't want anything to do with Apple any more. So he bought the MT 3g after reading about it and asking around. I helped him set it up, transfer his data and answered as many questions as I could. Bottom line is, he wasn't happy. He expected Iphone-like features from it and refused to accept anything else. He also assumed it would function pretty much the same with itunes and be very speedy. So TMobile support and I had to break it to him gently that it was a little different and he may have to change some of his habits.

He now has a Iphone 3gs. He didn't whine or fuss, just got what made him happy. The moral of the story is, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get what you want.

If I felt the way some critics of the Pre felt, I'd get rid of it. I'm not going to live day to day with something I'm not happy it, nor am I willing to stick it out in the hopes Palm would 'fix' it to my liking.
    Last edited by darreno1; 08/27/2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: grammar
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    I do not know if this is an embarrassing time for Palm, but it sure is a crucial time. If they do not get the App Store up and running with better applications soon, they might as well take their profits and go out of business.

This phone does a lot of great things and probably has the best potential for growth. The problem is, the other phone manufacturers (iphone, blackberry storm etc., G1) aren't waiting for Palm to catch up or get a clue. Say what you like, but how can you compete if you have little or nothing to compete with?

Palm Pre has been out for a few months. Yes, they are probably moving just as fast as the other manufacturers, but can Palm afford to do that?

I love my Pre, but I want more functioning apps that work without using HomeBrew. No offense, but I just don't try Beta products. If it says use at your own risk, I would rather not risk $300+.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue66 View Post
    I do not know if this is an embarrassing time for Palm, but it sure is a crucial time. If they do not get the App Store up and running with better applications soon, they might as well take their profits and go out of business.

This phone does a lot of great things and probably has the best potential for growth. The problem is, the other phone manufacturers (iphone, blackberry storm etc., G1) aren't waiting for Palm to catch up or get a clue. Say what you like, but how can you compete if you have little or nothing to compete with?

Palm Pre has been out for a few months. Yes, they are probably moving just as fast as the other manufacturers, but can Palm afford to do that?

I love my Pre, but I want more functioning apps that work without using HomeBrew. No offense, but I just don't try Beta products. If it says use at your own risk, I would rather not risk $300+.
    You think you are going to break the hardware with homebrew apps?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Well, this certainly has been an interesting discussion. Hopefully, the next few days will give us all a better idea on how things are going.

One of Palm's major strengths has been to open their device and WebOS to third party developers. IBM did this with their PC hardware, while Apple did not. IBM's PC took over the industry at least partly because of it.

Although it is a shame the Pre was such a "diamond in the rough" in some ways, they've steadily improved it. They had to release it when they did, for many reasons. And it must be very difficult at times for them to judge which items get the most priority in development.

But I think they're on the right track. It's been a bumpy ride, for sure, and has generated a lot of strong feelings on both sides of the aisle, but we're getting there - with the help of the homebrew and other add-on apps.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    And
    for all of you talking endlessly about PALM culture , get over it.

Its no longer PALM culture alone that is creating these devices , its "PALMPLE" .

So there is a mix of APPLE folks at the top and some old time mid level folks from the original PALM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You think you are going to break the hardware with homebrew apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    I'm the type of person who is bothered by UI lag, but as a software developer myself - I also know what causes it and why it happens. Based on my ownership time with the Pre I can see why people like Mikah take the stances they do. There is going to be a subset of the population that expects everything to work as fast as their older/physical button controlled phone vs how Palm handles all functionality with a software/touchscreen interface.

That being said, considering what the phone can do (copy and paste an email fragment into a web browser page while using speakerphone to tell someone about the restaurants in your area that you are viewing in google maps) all at once, I make certain allowances for raw speed and usability in any one specific area. For me, the added functionality of the multitasking outweigh the UI slowing a bit trying to handle everything.

There are just people that do not notice/care/use or understand how amazing that sort of multitasking functionality is. They will NOT cut the phone a break, and so you have this thread... Call me old fashioned but the fact there is this sort of computing power in something that now fits in my pocket is kind of cool to me.

That being said, the first few times I received a call on the phone I was a little alarmed at how the phone lagged a bit in the animation associated with bringing up the phone app and (so I thought) starting the call. I could really see this becoming a massive problem - enough for me to complain in a forum thread about. A few calls later I quickly realized the phone was actually not waiting for the phone app to load before it connected the call, it was doing so almost instantly after the unlock motion was completed. Once I realized this my "building disappointment" was tempered and I realized that someone at Palm actually did use the phone before they sold it and came to the same conclusion as I would have that the phone app need to get priority so as to make that connection as fast as possible.

So, I'm now at the point where the phone part of the phone is fine. Is it perfectly amazing and better than any phone I'd ever used? No. In fact, my previous LG Rumor was definitely better at "just being a phone". A call came in, it rang instantly, I click the button on the front that said TALK and there you go. If my grandma asked for a recommendation on what phone to buy I would not tell her to get a Pre, I'd tell her to get a Rumor - because she doesn't care about what else it can do.

Exactly... with great power comes lag. Why do you think I have a Quadcore CPU running Windows Vista.. Lol.

Of course older less technical phones will be lag free because there is nothing to make them lag in the first place.. save the iphone which was built nicely to counter most lag... however, it's also been out for quite some time as well and gone through a number of revisions. My old palm treo had some lag as well. but would I give it up for a lesser phone.. no way man.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And
    for all of you talking endlessly about PALM culture , get over it.

Its no longer PALM culture alone that is creating these devices , its "PALMPLE" .

So there is a mix of APPLE folks at the top and some old time mid level folks from the original PALM.
    I would call it PAPPLE, there really isn't much of the original Palm left. OTOH I remember all the complaints about the Treo 650 being a fairly crappy phone so their is still a bit of the Old Palm there.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy712 View Post
    One of Palm's major strengths has been to open their device and WebOS to third party developers. IBM did this with their PC hardware, while Apple did not. IBM's PC took over the industry at least partly because of it.
    What version of history is that? It's not accurate at all, nor relevant.

Apple opened the Mac platform to third party developers from the get go (Microsoft Word was being developed while the Mac hardware was still being engineered). What Apple did not do is let Mac OS run on third party (ie, non-Apple) hardware. It was OS licensing and hardware universality that let the PC platform make inroads and dominate Apple (and Microsoft was the one who ultimately won out, not IBM -- they got squeezed out big time). The early PC/Mac wars had nothing to do with third-party software development in the beginning, it was OS licensing and hardware commoditization, period.

Right now, Palm has their own closed OS on a closed hardware platform. They are going down the same exact road Apple did with the Mac. If you want to make a comparison, Palm is like the early Apple and the "IBM" of this market is Windows Mobile that is licensed to run on a wide range of third-party devices. But that isn't exactly winning any battles in this day and age. WinMo is slipping downward; I think Apple recently overtook the entire WinMo market in market share. So much for the idea of OS licensing and hardware universality equaling market domination.

I do think you were trying to make a valid point, but making an analogy to the early PC/Mac wars is not the right way to do it. It's not accurate, and the lines you drew are not relevant.