View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 148 of 225 FirstFirst ... 4898138143144145146147148149150151152153158198 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 4493
    I have one word to say: Cisco

One of many company rumoured to buy palm, but unlike most, it's worth over 150 billion, and nearly has 40 billion cash to spend (google, and apple each have less than 25).. They'd be able to hire the employees needed, and spend the required amount on advertisement.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I have one word to say: Cisco

One of many company rumoured to buy palm, but unlike most, it's worth over 150 billion, and nearly has 40 billion cash to spend (google, and apple each have less than 25).. They'd be able to hire the employees needed, and spend the required amount on advertisement.
    I tend to agree with you here, and I don't mind saying it in many multiple threads. Maybe every additional thread will increase the probability of it happening...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    My issues were -purely- hardware. WebOS has always been a bright point in my opinion of the Pre. Sure, it was a bit sluggish early on and there's been a hiccup here and there (not to mention oddness like not using the GPU for the UI, or the lack of video recording), but it never really bothered me. Everything worked when I wanted it to and I was comfortable overall with it's use.

You can argue that webos should have been everything you wish it was from day 1, but what phone OS was like that? These things evolve over time as feedback comes in. Iphone is on 4.0 now, and it's a vast improvement over what they launched with. Android originally shipped out without multitouch!

I'm as frustrated as anyone could possibly be with my Pre experience (I love the phone -when it's not in the shop-, it's like owning a jaguar) but I am completely disagreeing with you on the UI standpoint. No phone on the market today is perfect but I feel that WebOS has come a -long- way toward being perfect for me. I'd take webOS on a better piece of hardware in a new york minute.

A beautifully polished UI right out of the gate would have done nothing to mitigate the current situation Palm is in. They failed brilliantly in marketing the phone, they failed brilliantly in raising awareness of the phone, and they failed colossally in hardware reliability. I was vocal about my repeated manufacturer defect phone replacements while surrounded by a mountain of co-workers Iphone's that took massive abuse and kept on ticking. I clearly had the better OS, but nobody cared.

Ultimately I feel the webOS has achieved a point in it's evolution where it does everything I want it to do smoothly with no niggling complaints. Even if it froze right here at 1.4.whatever I'll be happy with it through the end of my contract (assuming it doesn't physically break AGAIN). It's still currently the best UI I've personally used on a phone and at this point I feel it is very much complete. This thing is a more capable and powerful computer then the desktop I was using a -couple- of years ago. If you'd have shown me this phone 10 years ago I'd have thought it was -magic-. It's not going to suddenly become massively obsolete and worthless as a mobile device if palm goes the way of the dodo. We'll all be ok and enjoy our phone until contract expiration. After that, I don't really care - I, like most everyone else likely including yourself, will be getting a new phone.
    This has been a huge disappointment and the fact that nobody from Palm or Verizon will acknowledge it makes me furious.......
    OP makes valid points.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Didn't you try out the keyboard before buying it?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You do understand, don't you, that use of the GPU for the UI hasn't been enabled yet because it's not a viable technology given the underlying architecture of webOS? Indeed, it's something that the entire industry is still working toward, and Palm has stated on numerous occasions that they're working to implement the technologies that will make it possible.

This is another example of people expecting Palm to do something that they simply can't do. Yes, we'd all love webOS to be smoother and faster, and once technologies like CSS transforms and WebGL are up to snuff in WebKit, we'll have them in webOS as well. In fact, I think we'll be amazed at just how responsive webOS becomes at that point. In the meantime, I find my Pre to be usable and enjoyable most of the time, while terribly frustrating some of the time.

Of course, Palm might not have the chance to get there, but that's another issue entirely...
    You know, I am a biochemist, and admittedly I know nothing about computer programming. CSS and WebGL might as well be Chinese to me. So all I can do is apply a basic logical processing to the issue of UI graphics acceleration. Here's how I see it: the iPhone 3GS runs on virtually identical hardware as the Pre and has full UI acceleration. The previous iPhone versions run on half the hardware as the Pre and have full UI acceleration. WebOS is a unix or linux based system, probably the same as the iPhone. Technically, there is no real reason that UI acceleration can't be implemented, especially given that the graphics chip is now accessible by applications. Which by the way didn't happen until some 8 months after the phone was released. If I assume that what you said is right, then it tells me that Palm at best rushed the product to market and at worst actually half-assed it to beat some arbitrary release deadline. Maybe they were trying to beat the iPhone 3GS, idk. My point is, if the CPU can carry out the necessary technologies to provide animations and transitions, there is no reason the GPU can't, unless of course it is not enabled. Obviously the CPU is doing it. Otherwise, you should not design a product to utilize technologies that don't yet exist. WebOS should have been designed from the ground up to enable all of the hardware, but instead what we got was a half-finished product that is still not fully finished almost a year from it's release. I don't believe that they can't enable GPU acceleration. I believe that they deliberately didn't to push the phone out the door faster. In the end, that, coupled with their perpetual inability to advertise is what finally did them in. If you are going to try to compete with the big boys such as Apple and RIM, you better have all of your ducks in a row and release a product that is the best that it can be. If this is the best it can be, I'm sorely disappointed. To use an analogy, this phone is like a truck tasked with performing a job requiring a V8, but given a 4-cyl engine to work with. Yes, it'll probably do it, but you're not going to be happy with it.

I certainly hope you are right about smoothness and usability improving once the GPU is enabled. But whether or not that will ever happen is the major question now. Let's just say that I am not optimistic. Again, I love the underlying concept behind the phone, and for the most part, my phone is a joy to use. But it has too many little problems and issues that should not be there.
    Last edited by sputnik767; 04/13/2010 at 01:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    You know, I am a biochemist, and admittedly I know nothing about computer programming.....
    You probably should have stopped there. You've made a lot of assumptions and leaps of logic that demonstrate you do indeed know nothing about computer programming (or at least, very little).

First, I'll address your comment about what Palm should or should not have done with a true analogy.

When my middle daughter was still in her mamma's womb, the obstratician came to me and told me that there were problems. She was two weeks early, in distress, and there was no more amniotic fluid to do testing. The last tests indicated that her lungs were under-developed, but she was in distress, and had to be brought into the world asap (the in-utero surgery they do today was not commonly done 28 years ago). The problems were conflicting though, on the one hand, her lungs were underdeveloped. Waiting even one more day would improve her chances against lung problems. However, postponing even one more day could mean she could die in the womb.

Obviously, we chose a c-section, and hoped for the best. They treated her lungs with steriods, and she has since lived to be a fine young woman, with a beautiful 7 year old (almost 7) daughter that is the light of my life.

My daughter should have been allowed to let her lungs completely mature before being born - in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we weren't presented a perfect world, and had to take a chance with that "unfinished product".

If Palm had waited to fully mature the OS, we would not be having this discussion, because there would be no Palm to deal with. WebOS would have died in the womb.

Your analogy to what has been done with Apple ignores one fact, Palm's OS is a multi-tasking OS, and everthing thing the OS does must take into consideration the other applications that may be running on the system.

I don't know if your history with computers goes back far enough, but my old early days PC ran DOS applications much faster than many of the applications that run today. That's because the computer didn't have to process other applications in the background. It also wasn't "burdened" with a heavy front-end GUI. The applications were fast, but they were primitive.

I was playing with the Storm 2 at work today, just trying to learn more about the OS. I found that I miss the smooth reaction of the OS, the screen scrolling up, instead of just suddenly appearing. Whether or not those types of features are good things is really a moot point, because that is what WebOS is, and it does come with a price.

I have no doubt that WebOS will continue to mature (unless, of course, they're bought out and killed early), but all of the bemoaning about what Palm "should" have done is pointless, because they couldn't. They didn't have the time, or the resources.

However, the device they did release did what it was promised to do at the time. In addition, they've improved it. I think that's a good thing, but certainly understand those that don't feel it's "enough", and decide to look at another device.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I tend to agree with you here, and I don't mind saying it in many multiple threads. Maybe every additional thread will increase the probability of it happening...
    I've said it in about 10 threads now.. I'm getting tired of typing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You probably should have stopped there. You've made a lot of assumptions and leaps of logic that demonstrate you do indeed know nothing about computer programming (or at least, very little).

First, I'll address your comment about what Palm should or should not have done with a true analogy.

When my middle daughter was still in her mamma's womb, the obstratician came to me and told me that there were problems. She was two weeks early, in distress, and there was no more amniotic fluid to do testing. The last tests indicated that her lungs were under-developed, but she was in distress, and had to be brought into the world asap (the in-utero surgery they do today was not commonly done 28 years ago). The problems were conflicting though, on the one hand, her lungs were underdeveloped. Waiting even one more day would improve her chances against lung problems. However, postponing even one more day could mean she could die in the womb.

Obviously, we chose a c-section, and hoped for the best. They treated her lungs with steriods, and she has since lived to be a fine young woman, with a beautiful 7 year old (almost 7) daughter that is the light of my life.

My daughter should have been allowed to let her lungs completely mature before being born - in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we weren't presented a perfect world, and had to take a chance with that "unfinished product".

If Palm had waited to fully mature the OS, we would not be having this discussion, because there would be no Palm to deal with. WebOS would have died in the womb.

Your analogy to what has been done with Apple ignores one fact, Palm's OS is a multi-tasking OS, and everthing thing the OS does must take into consideration the other applications that may be running on the system.

I don't know if your history with computers goes back far enough, but my old early days PC ran DOS applications much faster than many of the applications that run today. That's because the computer didn't have to process other applications in the background. It also wasn't "burdened" with a heavy front-end GUI. The applications were fast, but they were primitive.

I was playing with the Storm 2 at work today, just trying to learn more about the OS. I found that I miss the smooth reaction of the OS, the screen scrolling up, instead of just suddenly appearing. Whether or not those types of features are good things is really a moot point, because that is what WebOS is, and it does come with a price.

I have no doubt that WebOS will continue to mature (unless, of course, they're bought out and killed early), but all of the bemoaning about what Palm "should" have done is pointless, because they couldn't. They didn't have the time, or the resources.

However, the device they did release did what it was promised to do at the time. In addition, they've improved it. I think that's a good thing, but certainly understand those that don't feel it's "enough", and decide to look at another device.
    Herb, that's a good analogy. And congrats to you. Before my daughter came along, your story might not have meant as much to me.

But..(you knew this was coming), Palm had more choices than that. So they went to market a bit early with some bugs. What did they do next? And next? And next?

What they did afterwards comprised many threads on here over the past year. You certainly derailed enough threads to know. Interestingly, you always seemed to blindly defend Palm's every move. And now you're "happy" that Palm might get bought. Glad that worked out for you then.

Here's some highlights though:

1. Introduced an itunes sync that they knew full well they wouldn't be able to support and that Apple wouldn't tolerate.

2. Gave the green light for a bizarre series of commericals involving the Borq queen.

3. Spent time & resources developing and producing the Pixi. Without wifi. The whole concept was flawed from the get go.

4. Went to Bell. Launched on other carriers. Focused on Verizon for Jan 2010. All this while experiencing declining sales on Sprint which should've indicated something wasn't right.

5. Still went through with the Verizon launch. Gave them the green light to launch even more horrible advertising which targeted and offended Moms in one stroke. And made the brand a laughing stock. Verizon employees wanted nothing to do with selling it.

6. Is going to launch the same stuff on AT&T and hope for different results.

That's enough highlights. Ruby said that their main priority was getting to scale, not profit.

I've always maintained that Palm should have baked on Sprint for a year or longer. Palm didn't have the resources to get to scale while having a 1.0 OS, a niche form factor, a beta app store, a half baked sdk, a flawed Pixi.

But bottom line, their resources should've been better spent.

It's all water under the bridge now.
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/13/2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

4. Went to Bell. Launched on other carriers. Focused on Verizon for Jan 2010. All this while experiencing declining sales on Sprint which should've indicated something wasn't right.

Lets not discuss the Bell launch lol.

I absolutely hate them with a passion.

Could I have a Pre? Yes.. but with Bell.. it's a tough choice.

I still don't know how Bell holds exclusivity on the Pre to this date (it's been 8 months and counting) and how ridiculously screwed palm got from Bell.

When the Pre launched, Bell promoted the Pre. Then 2 months later they switched to GSM from their crappy CDMA network and dropped everything on it. I have never seen anyone on the streets of Toronto or GTA with a Pre in their hand. Bell simply said good-bye to the Pre and hello to the iPhone.

If I could get my hands on a gsm pre plus in this country i'd have it within a second.

I think what hurt Palm the most was the exclusive deals on all these carriers with a perceived 'mediocre' device from the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    WebOS 1.4.1, a few patches and the 800Mhz Kernel......my Pre is polished and does everything well, nuff said.
    I'll second that. Now that the app catalogue is out in Canada I have no regrets. I actually like the design and hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    If you think that it is smart or safe to run your CPU at 40% over it's design clock speed, I have no further reason to argue with you. You should not have to push your hardware to the breaking point in order to have a polished phone. In case you were wondering, I have tried this patch. Yes, it was a bit better, but I did not feel comfortable using it. And was still nowhere near as good as it could be, had graphical acceleration of the UI has been enabled.
    If the temperature of the phone doesn't go up much, then really it's not that harmful to the phone. If it dies in 3 years, so what.. will have a new phone by then anyways. I've been running my quadcore 2.8 at 3.6 for 2 years now without a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    If the temperature of the phone doesn't go up much, then really it's not that harmful to the phone. If it dies in 3 years, so what.. will have a new phone by then anyways. I've been running my quadcore 2.8 at 3.6 for 2 years now without a problem.
    That is a barely 20% overclock, compared to double that with the Pre 800 Mhz patch. I have been running my core 2 duo 2.33 at 3.2 Ghz for years as well. My phone gets to 43 C unpatched at times.
    Thank god you guys didn't jump on the first blackberry storm you probably would have jumped off a bridge... believe me when i tell you when i campare the 2 launches.. the Pre is 100 times more solid then RIM's storm.. Battery issues galore, the phone was so laggy took up to 8 seconds to get the phone section. The phone didn't know what side was up.. when you went to answer a call the phone would rotate and boom... the answer button became the end call button... The Phone had MAJOR memory leaks and a horribly patched OS that was thrown on a device, 4 minute reboot after it crashed calling 911. Heck RIM released LEAKED OS's to crackberry directly.. trust me the phone was a disaster.. and in 6 months they anounced the storm2 to try and calm people down.

The phone was solid.. but there was a big gap around the touchscreen that collected large amounts of dust.. then dust would slowly get under the screen... there were polls on "what # storm are you on" just like we have here... and guess what!!! most people were on 5 plus. But RIM counted those as sold... and never reports returned phones.

Even ask Kevin the head guy at crackberry about the Storm.. and he will just shake his head. We actually have it pretty good and i'm comparing 2 phones that were in the same situation... and remember RIM has MUCH more funding then Palm.. and look at what they put out
    Herb, that's a good analogy. And congrats to you. Before my daughter came along, your story might not have meant as much to me.

But..(you knew this was coming), Palm had more choices than that. So they went to market a bit early with some bugs. What did they do next? And next? And next?

What they did afterwards comprised many threads on here over the past year. You certainly derailed enough threads to know. Interestingly, you always seemed to blindly defend Palm's every move. And now you're "happy" that Palm might get bought. Glad that worked out for you then.
    Sorry, I quit reading at that point.

You don't get to define for me what I have or have not done. I've never "blindly" done anything. Yep, I defend Palm, but on the things they've done that I like. I've also noted many things they've done that have disappointed me. I just don't harp on them, and I don't decide the company is some sort of "failure" because they don't do exactly what I want to do.

As far as Palm being bought "working out for me" - HUH???? They haven't been bought, so nothing's really changed. If they do get bought out, and are allowed to continue on as a company, yeah, that "works out for me". If they aren't allowed to continue on as a company, then I'll get something else, and make that work for me.

Weird concept (for some), I know.

However, to the point of this thread. My analogy didn't touch on all of those other things because it was meant to address one particular issue that the OP brought up - why the product wasn't "finished" before it was released.

Palm didn't have that option. Plain and simple.
    3. Spent time & resources developing and producing the Pixi. Without wifi. The whole concept was flawed from the get go.
    I'm not 'in the know' with inside dealings at Palm, but then, I'm pretty sure you're not either. It has been reported many places that this was at Sprint's insistence, so why does Palm get your angst? I agree that the pixie without wifi was a huge error and waste of time, though my wife seems to love hers and doesn't notice the omission in how the phone works. But I think the blame for this is in Sprint's lap.
    well hopefully when they referb them there correcting some of the issues.
    I really want to keep this phone.

does anyone know if it is capible of 4G speed with just a firmware/software upgrade?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    On my 2nd pre - the first developed a stress crack @ the USB port that spread onto the screen. The second one is in the Sprint "slider" case with an invisible shield on the screen. No cracks, no wiggle or wobble (case cures that). Overclocked to 800mhz and runs perfectly.

I traded a guy an old laptop for his old Pre. So I have a refurb spare (he ran his over /w his car) & paid the $100 to Asurion.
    I'm still on my original Pre'.