View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 147 of 225 FirstFirst ... 4797137142143144145146147148149150151152157197 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 4493
    not really sure why people on this forum get so defensive when someone has complaints about the build quality of their Pre. I love the Pre and WebOS, but I'm also of the opinion that Palm made a serious mistake in the build quality of their phones. You could consider me a palm fan boy cause I recommend the Pre to everyone and think its superior to every other phone out there, but you won't find me blindly defending their mistakes.

From what I've seen in the last 3-6 months, the build quality has improved a ton. My phone has a loose slider, and the keyboard has a weird feel. The new phones I've played with seem really solid. Its disappointing that they're not replacing/repairing all the phones with messed up build quality, but I guess palm doesn't have the funds for it.
    Can't relate still on my 1st Pre, great hardware, over 10 months old. There are also 647 people (85%) polled that also disagree with you about the quality of the hardware:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pre-proud.html
    Only exchanged my phone once because of power button issue. I was really happy to get the new one because there is no gap at all between two parts when closed (oreo issue)

so far , knock on the wood, I enjoy its design and build quality
    obviously when there's some people on their 5th or 6th phone, we've got some hardware issues. the failure rate of the pre is much too high to be reliable hardware. its just something factual. i love my pre but it doesnt have great build quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fool View Post
    what are you on about, iyts a sweet phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fool View Post
    go join the sheep on the stupid apple side of life. enjoy being laughed at
    um, if you don't realize that you are getting laughed at you need to take a closer look and stop being so disgruntled.

re-read thread jack a... I said I like WebOS, just that the hardware is crap. Take a better look around the forums and read the other reviews online. The OS is great, the phone it's self is crap.

If the phone I am getting tomorrow doesn't have some upgraded parts, I am going HTC EVO - 4g Android OS - as soon as it comes out.

Don't really want to dump more cash on a phone since I just got ripped for 200 bills last Aug but really can't be in the sprint store every 3 months either.

Thank God for online backup!! Palm most certainly got that one right!
    there is another poll out there (done twice actually) that show 40% have exchanged their phone at least once with quite a number of people more than once. it's good that you are more fortunate than those.

you know what it is? palm wanted a fresh design that's different from the rest... kinda like art... i like the design. looks simple... but my guess is far from simple to build... the slight angle in the slide open, the rounded edges and how the screen is a single mould with curves (and I suspect not much reinforcing to fight flex). just a complicated piece. even palm will not allow you service to take one apart for service... always exchanging.

so because of the design you have oreo, you have screen stress cracking or touchscreens failing or usb ports getting stress cracks or cracks around the home button... it's all documented... those and quite a few others. lots of little things that add up.

look at the pixi.... back to basics and from what i read, not too many hardware issues... a solid phone.

when shopping for a phone, i can handle sw issues, those can be taken care of with updates... hardware issues are a sore that i personally can't accept. i feel many others feel the same way. it really hurt them and think it was a factor. people dont want that. and it makes sales people not wanna sell them when it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Can't relate still on my 1st Pre, great hardware, over 10 months old. There are also 647 people (85%) polled that also disagree with you about the quality of the hardware:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pre-proud.html
    I think because.

It's lower cost.
    Has a tricky and problematic curved slider design.
    plastic screen
    svelte sleek looks (screen all one thin piece)
    They wanted it thin and small but powerful (3gs power)
    They added a mirror.
    Wanted to beat iphone 3gs to market.
    Its a 1st gen product.

Now the quality is much better. My first 6 weren't.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    My response is this: I think that Palm did a number of things very right, and a number of things very wrong. It's funny how people like to talk about how great webOS is but how bad Palm is--as if webOS is some kind of natural resource that Palm just found lying around somewhere and then proceeded to completely screw up. I think it's valuable to point out that if you think webOS is a great mobile OS (which I do), then you should give Palm credit for creating it.

That said, I'll also say this: many of us weren't saying that you should give Palm time to develop webOS and the devices that it runs on, but rather simply that the reality is that Palm will need time to do so. Whether you chose to give them that time was always up to you, but it was ridiculous to demand that Palm do the impossible. Rather, one should have made one's decision, taking advantage of the 30-day trial period, and then lived with it. There was never any reason for all of the "Palm, do this NOW!!!!!!" threads that demanded that Palm do things that they were never capable of doing.

Assertions like Palm did something wrong by charging $X for the Pre and Pixi are silly. Palm can charge whatever they want, and people are free to pay, or not. And, of course Palm didn't charge $200 for the Pre with a 2-year contract--Sprint did. And so blaming Palm for this makes absolutely no sense at all, and really just reflects some significant cognitive dissonance on some peoples' parts.

Finally, just to keep this short(ish), I'm not defending Palm here. I would and have written similar things on many forums. What I'm often writing about here and elsewhere is how some people have ridiculous, immature, and entirely irrational entitlement mentalities, and an apparent need to ***** and moan ad nauseum about choices they themselves have made. It's just tiresome, really, and makes it far more difficult to come to a forum like Precentral and just share in a community of like-minded folk.
    Last edited by wynand32; 04/12/2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post

]
    haha, that is a funny poll, must of skipped over this post the first time I checked back in...

the one person says it is broke they just don't want to trade it in... *****. Why would you live with a broken phone??

and IMO a drop or 2 should not break a phone. **** happens... my last 2 phones were thru hell and they both lasted 2+ years. not one problem. This phone I baby because I spent so much money on it. They should of used stronger components/better R&D.
    I somewhat agree... I absolutely love WebOS. I have the Pre, but am on my 4th unit because of various issues (and being overly picky I admit). The Pre is a great phone with an incredible OS, but IMHO it sacrificed build quality for looks. I do happen to think the Pre is fantastic looking, but the manufacturing should have been farmed out, or thought through a little longer. BUT... the newer phones have had a lot of the build issues tightened up and taken care of from what I've experienced.

I don't agree with all of netwrkr9's points... I've kept phones that have had mild breaks in them just because it wasn't a major issue. I've also dropped phones that have broken (Moto, HTC, and a slip with my old iPhone). Anything can break. I've also had phones that seemed indestructible that I've droped over and over onto concrete and didn't break. It goes both ways.

The Pre could have been built a bit stronger, but it's a first generation phone. I'm looking for the next device (yes there will be one) to be built like a tank (fingers crossed).
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    WebOS 1.4.1, a few patches and the 800Mhz Kernel......my Pre is polished and does everything well, nuff said.
    I'll take a few software bugs I that means having problem free harrddware.

(Such as the doublle type issue...)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I somewhat agree... I absolutely love WebOS. I have the Pre, but am on my 4th unit because of various issues (and being overly picky I admit). The Pre is a great phone with an incredible OS, but IMHO it sacrificed build quality for looks. I do happen to think the Pre is fantastic looking, but the manufacturing should have been farmed out, or thought through a little longer. BUT... the newer phones have had a lot of the build issues tightened up and taken care of from what I've experienced.

I don't agree with all of netwrkr9's points... I've kept phones that have had mild breaks in them just because it wasn't a major issue. I've also dropped phones that have broken (Moto, HTC, and a slip with my old iPhone). Anything can break. I've also had phones that seemed indestructible that I've droped over and over onto concrete and didn't break. It goes both ways.

The Pre could have been built a bit stronger, but it's a first generation phone. I'm looking for the next device (yes there will be one) to be built like a tank (fingers crossed).
    well if it does come, not under Palm. Most "money" sites are saying bankruptcy or take over. I guess they could keep the palm name but their future is not looking that great. but all this talk is deff going to keep app dev and sales way down.
    Plus their marketing sucks. No commercials what so ever. That is the major reason iCrap got so huge, a hell of a lot of great advertising. I would never own an iAnything but those commercials made me think I wanted an iphone.
    IMO The Pre is a unique piece of hardware that has tried to accomplish to much with some substandard materials but a good design concept with some areas that could have been more substantial with a bit more forsight. Which would have resulted in a better rep for a quality built device.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    My thoughts are that the current state of Palm and webOS could easily have been predicted and were predicted by many people on this forum who were labeled as "trolls". Everything that Palm has laid out over the past year has seemed half-baked starting from the time it took to bring the phone to market to its initial launch on Sprint and the time it took to get the SDK and App Catalog going. This all occurred before you bought your phone.

The response that most people had to this was something akin to "Well, Palm is a small company and they got a late start so you need to give them time." Notice that this isn't in any way suggesting that enhancements will be on par with the larger, more established competition. In fact, they are say just the opposite. Palm is small and webOS just got started so you are going to have to be patient and lower your standards.

So, if you wanted an iPhone-like experience, you really should have bought one. You shouldn't have bought a competitive product from a smaller company that is two-years behind the iPhone.

Liking the user interface doesn't really count for much if there isn't something substantial behind it. Is it really light-years ahead or is it skin?
    Actually, I never wanted to get an iphone. I don't personally care for them, and the reason why I think WebOS is light-years ahead has to do with the OS itself. It is the only one I know that allows you to run multiple apps simultaneously, and actually have them running in the background if minimized. I bought it because it had such an advanced OS. And I realize that I could have returned it in 30 days, and obviously chose not to do so. But that does not and should not protect Palm from valid criticism.

My only issue with Palm is that they released an unfinished phone. At the very basic level, the device should take full advantage of it's hardware. Look at it this way: the OS allows it to run multiple apps at the same time. Not an easy task. Then, it also has to manage all of the visual effects that the CPU can barely perform when it's not under load. So it's no surprise that when even a single app is running, the overall UI is extremely sluggish. The phone has a graphics chip which is better designed to handle visual effects. So is it an unreasonable expectation to have the phone actually utilize it? That should have been done at launch. I have no unreasonable expectations of this phone. I just want it to run smoothly, and error and crash free. I don't like random reboots, I don't like the fact that sometimes it takes it 30 seconds to bring up the phone all, and I don't like the fact that sometimes when I answer the phone, the ringtone keeps screaming for another few seconds. But what I really don't like is when the phone misses calls and text messages.

Saying that "well, Palm is a small company and these things take time," is not an excuse. I can understand that certain things take time, but the very basics that I described should be there from the beginning. Apple was once a company on the brink of death. What brought them back was good, effective, and marketable products. Palm was in the same boat recently. They put all of their eggs in the Palm Pre basket, but due to awful execution on their part, they will never enjoy Apple's success. I guess what bothers me the most is that the best mobile operating system is probably dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    WebOS 1.4.1, a few patches and the 800Mhz Kernel......my Pre is polished and does everything well, nuff said.
    If you think that it is smart or safe to run your CPU at 40% over it's design clock speed, I have no further reason to argue with you. You should not have to push your hardware to the breaking point in order to have a polished phone. In case you were wondering, I have tried this patch. Yes, it was a bit better, but I did not feel comfortable using it. And was still nowhere near as good as it could be, had graphical acceleration of the UI has been enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    ...had graphical acceleration of the UI has been enabled.
    You do understand, don't you, that use of the GPU for the UI hasn't been enabled yet because it's not a viable technology given the underlying architecture of webOS? Indeed, it's something that the entire industry is still working toward, and Palm has stated on numerous occasions that they're working to implement the technologies that will make it possible.

This is another example of people expecting Palm to do something that they simply can't do. Yes, we'd all love webOS to be smoother and faster, and once technologies like CSS transforms and WebGL are up to snuff in WebKit, we'll have them in webOS as well. In fact, I think we'll be amazed at just how responsive webOS becomes at that point. In the meantime, I find my Pre to be usable and enjoyable most of the time, while terribly frustrating some of the time.

Of course, Palm might not have the chance to get there, but that's another issue entirely...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    He is correct, however, on the fact that had it been any other company that things would have ended out more polished.

But as people say, Palm's quite small.
    It really needs a big brother to take up half the job (hardware).
    Palm is small yes, but Build Quality (TM) isn't...
  20. lco
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Having had an iPhone for a couple of years, I can say that the same remarks you make about the webOS apply to the iPhone and Android OS. They were or are half baked and are "in process work". Having used all three, each one has it's strength. Currently I'm using a Pre, but the decision is not only the OS or the Hardware. Right now the deal at Sprint is hard to beat. Nobody comes close in price for what they offer.

IMHO, this is still early in the game.

Imagine this, Apple has been going after market share against Microsoft for like 30 years and they still, only have 8% or 9% of the market.

If I had a buck for each time Apple was labeled dead by the media, I'd have many bucks, maybe thousands of them.

So be patient, it's still early in the game (although the hardware problems are frustrating)