View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 146 of 225 FirstFirst ... 4696136141142143144145146147148149150151156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 4493
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Uhhuh. Yep, that's what I said. It's right there ... um... well... OK, maybe not. I can understand how you might think that's what was said, but it wasn't.

You did; however, entirely miss the "grow up" part.
    Wouldn't "growing up" be the ability to ignore a differing opinion and restrain themselves from correcting every tiny comment they disagree with?

Not every crazy comments said on the boards are made by crazy people. Especially here where the sites users (and opinions) are entirely from the perspective of Pre users. So there's a legitimate question as to why threads that instigate the classification of "good" vs "bad" webOs fans is allowed to live while many more thought provoking threads get closed or moved to die in another sub-category because the sight of negativity hurts peoples feelings.I'm not saying I know better than the mods, I'm just saying that the community is constantly being divided by these classifications based on how "positive" or "negative" you can be.

So it's not about "growing up", it's about respecting others opinions enough to keep yourself from falling back on weak responses like yelling out "troll" or "grow up".
    Having owned a Treo Pro for a bit, Android is far from WinMo. My biggest complaint with winmo was the amount of keystrokes it took to do anything or it just felt like effort to get around.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    The EVO is cool and all, but where it loses is when I find it it runs Android. Sorry, I don't want a less buggy WinMo 6.1.

If Palm dies, it's WP7 for me, the be all, end all. Until then, I'm Palm forever.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Which version of Windows Mobile 6.x had:

- A constantly updated WebKit browser?
    - compass-enabled location apps?
    - a Touch-optimized UI throughout the OS?
    - Voice-to-text functionality throughout the OS?
    - free voice-controlled navigation?
    - FriendStream aggregation of all incoming social media?
    - Synergy-esque contact importing OTA?

Just curious....
    just curious...was anyone having them go toe to toe? no. he was comparing the idea of the two OS's and not making a direct feature comparison. Way to jump into a discussion and miss the point entirely. Welcome. Would be kind of dumb to compare an aging lame duck OS to a current one with a future. Why don't you just add in PalmOS while you're at it? WinMob was a very capable OS for quite a while with phones being many by many manufacturers. They were doing something right to have that kind of backing. webOS dreams it could have the sales and following winmob once did.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    So it's not about "growing up", it's about respecting others opinions enough to keep yourself from falling back on weak responses like yelling out "troll" or "grow up".
    I guess we just differ on opinions. It's really more about who owns the house. They get to do whatever they want with it. The mods have made many decisions I don't agree with. That don't make them bad guys, just different from me.

But, it's still their house, to do with as they choose.

And I still mainatain that someone that deliberately mis-spells a word, so they can bypass the filters the mods put up, is acting childish, and needs to grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    just curious...was anyone having them go toe to toe? no. he was comparing the idea of the two OS's and not making a direct feature comparison. Way to jump into a discussion and miss the point entirely. Welcome. Would be kind of dumb to compare an aging lame duck OS to a current one with a future. Why don't you just add in PalmOS while you're at it? WinMob was a very capable OS for quite a while with phones being many by many manufacturers. They were doing something right to have that kind of backing. webOS dreams it could have the sales and following winmob once did.
    Psst...I was agreeing with you and riffing off what SportingLions said. Re-read what I wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    I'm sticking with my Pre until its time to renew my contract or the computer gods take it. Either way, I hope that Palm will have a solid device I can replace it with.
    Same here. I'm not going to get upset over having a phone I like get associated with buyout (etc.) rumours because I'm on contract anyway and by the time my contract ends, the phones they sell had better be capable of levitating and carrying my luggage.
    I think urkel meant you're no better than a so called fanb0y if you feel the need to pick apart someones's post to minutia and then take shots at them. Not so much about not being able to just use the term.

It's nice when we can just exchange differing opinions and keep things civil. It just doesn't always happen. Like Mikah's response. Thinks he's being snide with his 'curious' post. Didn't have to come off like that. Though it makes it funny when he does it and misses the point of the comparison.
    and while I've got run on of the mouth, if you can't acknowledge there are pluses and minuses of the other OS's and phones and why people like them, expressing your pro webOS opinion while belittling others, other phones & other OS's really kills the validity of your opinion and the ability for others to take it seriously. The converse also holds true. This is pretty much what happens when both terms (troll and fanb0y) are used. Funny how one cannot be used yet the other is thrown around freely enough that a thread abiut it can be started which pretty proves the point of the other..
    geez..now I need to apologize?

so used to our disagreements it's tough to tell the difference. Otherwise I would've just said I think he means just the nature of the OS's as oppposed to the feature set. tax time must be making you soft if you're agreeing with me
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Psst...I was agreeing with you and riffing off what SportingLions said. Re-read what I wrote.
    and while I've got run on of the mouth, if you can't acknowledge there are pluses and minuses of the other OS's and phones and why people like them, expressing your pro webOS opinion while belittling others, other phones & other OS's really kills the validity of your opinion and the ability for others to take it seriously. The converse also holds true. This is pretty much what happens when both terms (troll and fanb0y) are used. Funny how one cannot be used yet the other is thrown around freely enough that a thread abiut it can be started which pretty proves the point of the other..
    I'm not going to say with 100% surety, because every now and then I pop off with a joke about things (I've even been known to joke about my Pre), but I don't think I've ever "belittled" another OS. Almost every one I've seen has something about it I like. I just can't afford to have them all up and running. I use two now, one I have to pay for, and one is provided for me free. I prefer the one I have to pay for, but that doesn't make the other bad.
    I don't believe I was directing that towards you. Just making a general statement about the nature of the discussion.
    I don't believe I was directing that towards you. Just making a general statement about the nature of the discussion.
    OK, maybe I'll sound like I'm "nitpicking", but when you follow up with "and" it leads one to believe it's a continuation of the previous post.
    the way I ramble? I can't maintain that kind of continuity
    I have had my Sprint Pre since last August, so I was one of the earlier adopters of the phone and platform. I bought the phone because I was extremely pleased with what WebOS had to offer, and truly believed that this phone would revolutionize the way mobile communication devices are used. For the first time, there was a true competitor to the iPhone. Or so I thought. Let me just say that I still believe that WebOS is by far the best mobile operating system out there, light years ahead of Apple, and much nicer than Android. But while the concept is excellent, the execution was awful beyond belief. Shame on Palm for releasing this device in such a state, and having the nerve to charge $200 with a 2-year contract for it.

Instead of a device with a nice, polished, error-free user interface, what we got was an interface that is extremely slow and full of bugs and unfinished business. The state that this phone was released in would barely qualify it for alpha testing given any other company, much less commercial sale. For instance, the phone has a powerful CPU with a powerful graphics chip, but the graphics chip was not enabled. So the CPU is tasked with not only running multiple apps at the same time, but also with carrying out all of the pretty animations, transitions, and transparent effects that are built into WebOS. A 5-year old could tell you that this not good, and this is the likely source of the lag that the phone experiences. Why they would go about it in such a way is beyond me, unless they were trying to rush the product to market. To this day, a year from when the phone was released and some 10 updates later, we still don't have video acceleration of the UI, and the phone is still unfinished.

I was lucky in that I did not experience most of the hardware problems that seem to plague this phone. But the one I did experience is the headphone jack getting stuck in headset mode, which is apparently a carryover from the older Palm phones. How they have not fixed this obvious flaw is beyond me.

One of the iPhone's biggest benefits, aside from the smooth and polished UI, is the app selection. As far as I understand, it took Palm almost 6 months to release the SDK and even longer to release the PDK, so Pre owners waited months for any decent apps to be developed.

Thanks to the Pre community, the phone can be vastly improved through patches, but one has to wonder, is it really necessary to rely on homebrew patches to gain functionality such as the display of call duration in call log, landscape email viewing, or flashing the light button when notifications come in? These are basic functions that should have been there from the very beginning. And how long did it take them to actually implement a way to fast forward through a song in the music player app? How about giving us video recording functionality (as buggy as it now is)? This is a feature that is available on much lesser phones.

In closing, I feel that Palm released an extremely unfinished product, one that should have barely qualified for alpha-testing at any other company. We have endured something like 10 software updates, each one buggier than the last, there is still no graphics acceleration of the UI even though that should have been there from the start, and the phone has been plagued by hardware issues from day one. The way I see it, the phone is now almost ready to enter beta-testing mode. For a company to release this as their flagship device is shameful. Palm had the potential to truly revolutionize the smartphone segment with WebOS, and failed miserably. Is anyone surprised that they are now looking for a buyer?

I will gladly accept any constructive criticism or fact-checking of what I wrote, but please, no fan boy-style replies (is ****** actually blocked on this site?). As I said, I still believe that WebOS is the best mobile platform out there today. My biggest concern is that once Palm is sold, development of WebOS will stop, and we'll be stuck with this unfinished phone.
    So waiting on my 3rd replacement. This will be my 4th handset...

1. Bought the phone love it, shortly after the power button broke. Can not turn on or off the back light.

2. Got a referb as replacement. What?? It is only a few months old so now my brand new phone is a referb.
    Touch screen stopped responding

3. Another referb, ear piece speaker sounds like crap and the thing is all wiggly. They won't replace it.

Ear piece speaker finally goes out, now the phone thinks a wired headset is plugged in all the time. All calls have to be on speaker phone.

4. Yet another referb is coming on Tuesday. Now they don't even stock them so i have to wait 3 days for it...

No wonder Palm lowered the price to 25 bucks each ($49 BOGO on Verizon) I feel like I got ripped off. I have had phones in the past for years with not one issue and took way less care of it.

I love the WebOS and everything about the usability of this phone. IMO this is the phone that got all others to step it up.

I was stoked when Verizon picked it up because I figured the app store would explode once it got a bigger user base. But with the reliability issues I am not sure it will be around much longer... In less than one year the price went from $299 to $25?? Wow, maybe a bit more R&D and this could of been a huge success...
    what are you on about, iyts a sweet phone.
    go join the sheep on the stupid apple side of life. enjoy being laughed at
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    k-fool you are a total *******. To whoever thinks this phone doesn't have problem must have escaped out of a mental institution. Software issues are important as well, but hardware is more important cause without that there would be no software.

I myself went through 3 of these and the 4th one is on its way, but since i am with bell i am not lucky and have to wait 3 weeks or so to get the next phone.

Its funny thought cause a lot of members of precentral make fun of the "iphone *******" but the fact is that there are a lot of the ignorant and stupid "Palm *******". Just like how you guys hate the people always saying how great the iphone is even though we all know what it can do and what it cannot do, other people are starting to hate us all for always saying how great or how not great the pre is.

So if someone has a problem with their phone and wants to vent it, let them do it. And if you do not like that, you are screwed cause the entire world is filled with things that we dont like personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fool View Post
    go join the sheep on the stupid apple side of life. enjoy being laughed at
    mature!

to answer the OP question, its because it was built with little money!
    very very little! like all GM's cars