View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    197 70.36%
  • No

    40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

    37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

    28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 225 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464114 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 4493
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's bad software. The OS is currently laggy. Period.
    ...
    Not on mine. Period.
    Now that the returned snippiness is out of the way, I'll reiterate what you seem determined to gloss over.
    You haven't defined "lag". yet. What has been stated is true. What is "lag" to one person may be considered "normal" by another.

    I'll also say, if you different people have results that are vastly different from each other, it very well could be a bad device, a group of bad devices, or major differences in the way they are used.

    I was able to reproduce your "blank entries" in the log, but nothing else. My phone takes less then 2 seconds to call up the log. The choppiness you describe only happens when I try to scroll extremely fast, faster than I could possibly read the the entries. I find it very usable - though I am interested in finding out if the "blank entries" are hiding some entries for some reason, or just a big that's simply asthetics. I think I'll try to compare my phone log to a detail call list from Sprint.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    Anyway...The Pre powering up without exploding seems to be enough for you and your ridiculously low standards. Anybody with real requirements wanna discuss this?
    Now there's some "intelligent" discussion.

    Seriously, I went back and reread the thread you talked about. You did not go into detail as you are here, so I can understand why some would have taken the original complaints as "whining". Now you seem as if you reached the frustration level where you want to explode instead of discuss, so I don't see this as particular constructive either.

    I really do suspect you have a combination of a device that's got problems specific to that device, along with some expectations greater than they should be.
  2. #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And they still support those functions on those devices. In spite of the myth (and it really isn't a true statement) that the "customer is always right", it doesn't apply here. You are insisting you get something before you buy, and they are saying that the device in question doesn't come with that.

    The truth is that many people had to purchase add-ons to get the previous versions of Palm devices to properly sync to various desktop configurations (which is where Pocket Mirror got its start, and Intellisync made its presence). The "everything synced so well" didn't really exist. There were always issues (especially if a person had multiple desktop machines and wanted the same information on all of them).
    Actually, Palms support for the PalmOS platform is declining rapidly. The only PalmOS device you can now buy is the Centro. If you want a subsidized price, you can only buy the Centro from Sprint. The Palm website still sells various carrier branded Centros for between $300 to $400. In theory they also sell an unbranded unlocked GSM Centro for $200. That's not a bad price (which may be why they don't have any in stock). They own Chattermail but won't sell it to anyone or support it anymore.

    You are correct about people buying addons to sync correctly between multiple machines but all those add-ons worked within a framework provided by Palm. I sync my Centro to 3 different Outlook Instances. In order to preserve all the information in Outlook, I switched my PIM software to KeySuite.
  3. #263  
    I give. It is useless trying to discuss the device with peoplw who cannot distinguish their personal take from the popular experience.

    I say the OS lags and the phone dialer sucking are systematic issues because these issues are well-supported in this forum and elsewhere. I have other issues, but decline to mention them because I haven't seen many others mention them.

    But it is obvious that the aforementioned are widespread systemic issues whether you deal with daily or not. I got a pretty good build quality Pre on day one. But I read enough complaints to realize the build quality is largely a mess.
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I give. It is useless trying to discuss the device with peoplw who cannot distinguish their personal take from the popular experience.

    I say the OS lags and the phone dialer sucking are systematic issues because these issues are well-supported in this forum and elsewhere. I have other issues, but decline to mention them because I haven't seen many others mention them.

    But it is obvious that the aforementioned are widespread systemic issues whether you deal with daily or not. I got a pretty good build quality Pre on day one. But I read enough complaints to realize the build quality is largely a mess.
    And I submit that you are sampling a few dozen complaints, and ignoring the literally hundreds of thousands that aren't complaining.

    Further, until people quantify what the problems are, then the aren't going to be perceived (by many) as anything but complaining.
  5. #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I give. It is useless trying to discuss the device with peoplw who cannot distinguish their personal take from the popular experience.

    I say the OS lags and the phone dialer sucking are systematic issues because these issues are well-supported in this forum and elsewhere. I have other issues, but decline to mention them because I haven't seen many others mention them.

    But it is obvious that the aforementioned are widespread systemic issues whether you deal with daily or not. I got a pretty good build quality Pre on day one. But I read enough complaints to realize the build quality is largely a mess.
    popular experience? PUHLEASE it is worthless discussing anything with someone who comes into a conversation with the idea that if i dont like it everyone else must not. The phone app is fine to me. A bit laggy but not an embarrassment. DO you need me to start a thread to see how many people don't mind the slight delays on the phone app VS how many people do, just to prove that it is not the popular experience but a experience SOME have with the PRE?

    EDIT: not that i would, as we all know how accurate a forum poll can be...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Anyway...The Pre powering up without exploding seems to be enough for you and your ridiculously low standards. Anybody with real requirements wanna discuss this?
    Wildly incorrect? Geez, man - get a grip. I can see anybody getting ticked about things that actually effect usability, like not being able to answer a call if that's your issue, but all the drama over general lag in the interface is a little over the top.

    You've got a phone that was obviously designed for you to leave apps open and you're closing them and then complaining about how long they take to open? Is a couple of seconds really that stressful anyway? And leaving apps open is NOT a workaround, it's what the OS was designed for. I leave my frequently used apps open at all times and there's zero lag.

    Apple's iPhone has a snappy interface. It's that way because of some design decisions they made, but those design decisions are part of what keeps me from buying an iPhone - one app at a time and only the apps they select can multitask -is not for me. If Cupertino doesn't even allow full multitasking on the third evolution of their device, how is it "bad software" if Palm doesn't have it fully fleshed out two months after release? And this is more-money-than-Jesus Apple versus a company that's struggling to get by.

    Palm decided to do something more innovative and there are obviously consequences to that. Either they can optimize it and make it snappier, or they can't. If the fact that having a choppy call log doesn't actually cause my head to explode makes me a fanboy, then yeah, I guess I am.
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Actually, Palms support for the PalmOS platform is declining rapidly. The only PalmOS device you can now buy is the Centro. If you want a subsidized price, you can only buy the Centro from Sprint. The Palm website still sells various carrier branded Centros for between $300 to $400. In theory they also sell an unbranded unlocked GSM Centro for $200. That's not a bad price (which may be why they don't have any in stock).
    ...
    That's not "support", that's sales. I was hoping to buy a Ford Thunderbird, and was disappointed in when they quit selling them. That doesn't mean Ford doesn't support them. However, you're right in that eventually the device you purchased a year or more ago (or even last week) won't be sold, and eventually won't be supported. That's not a "Palm" issue, that's what phone companies do.
    Sony's a pretty big company, but they're not doing much on the Clie I have around here someplace...

    However, Palm is supporting the WebOS and Pre, but you have to actually be a customer.... I think that was the point being made.

    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    They own Chattermail but won't sell it to anyone or support it anymore.
    So if you have an in warranty device, Palm doesn't support it? I'm surprised...

    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    ...
    You are correct about people buying addons to sync correctly between multiple machines but all those add-ons worked within a framework provided by Palm. I sync my Centro to 3 different Outlook Instances. In order to preserve all the information in Outlook, I switched my PIM software to KeySuite.
    And the new Palm device(s), and WebOS, will sync within the framework established by Palm. It's just a new framework.
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And I submit that you are sampling a few dozen complaints, and ignoring the literally hundreds of thousands that aren't complaining.

    Further, until people quantify what the problems are, then the aren't going to be perceived (by many) as anything but complaining.
    I have answered every single query with as much specific quantifiable detail as possible. There were specifics in some of other posts as well. You see what you want to see.

    The first part about me ignoring hundreds of thousands is pretty funny, actually. A little ironic, too.
  9. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #269  
    mikah912,
    I guess you are going to be loosing this one. I agree that dialer has LAG. But it is fine with the half a million ( sans this forum members ) who bought it.

    The issue is how much LAG is acceptable ? is it 2 seconds , 3 seconds , 4 or 5 ?

    Its frustrating for someone who wants to do 75 miles on a 65 mile highway when the guy in front is happily doing doing 60- 70 miles.

    The rule is 65 miles. obviously if you are that 75 mile guy , you think the guy in front is "SLOW" . And the guy in front who is doing 65 miles think that you are "RUSHIN" .

    The fact is we all drive on the same road and majority of us are happy with our speed.
  10. #270  
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well said.
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I have answered every single query with as much specific quantifiable detail as possible. There were specifics in some of other posts as well. You see what you want to see.

    The first part about me ignoring hundreds of thousands is pretty funny, actually. A little ironic, too.
    And, I say that if you find your complaints (and those of a couple dozen others) more important than the 300,000+ that seem pretty satisfied with the device, then we've narrowed down the problem.
  12. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #272  
    mikah912,
    Having said what I said , I agree with you about the lag.

    Its about time PALM fix it.

    But please don't go into the loop of "the lag is the worst ever, can't make phone calls, have dropped calls ... so on".

    While the lag is annoyance , majority of customers are not seeing it as annoyance.

    Personally I like a sub second response time.
  13. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #273  
    ADGrant,
    Sorry my friend , the old palm loyalists weren't able to keep the PALM OS alive. Hence WebOS and PALM Pre.

    Unfortunately business decisions doesn't work the way customers want.

    My 2 cents , the old smart phone / PALM loyal customers are a tiny drop in the ocean of the neo smartphone owners / wannabe smartphone owners.

    While you know what an APP is , and what tethering is ,
    these new folks talk as if the whole third party software thing was invented by APPLE or RIMM. You kind of laugh at them, but can't argue that you have know more about the phones than them.

    I would say on my hind legs ,

    Folks who are using PDAs , PALMS , WinMos , Clies ..... for a long time ( say 10 plus years) or folks who keep on top of technology makes up that SENIOR group.

    The rest ( folks who are newbies to PDAs and smartphones or folks who have no particular zeal towards gadgets) fall under the "JUNIOR" group.

    And companies will try to reach the majority i.e. "THE JUNIOR" group.
  14. #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And I submit that you are sampling a few dozen complaints, and ignoring the literally hundreds of thousands that aren't complaining.

    Further, until people quantify what the problems are, then the aren't going to be perceived (by many) as anything but complaining.
    I like your vigor, but you are wrong on this one.
    The phone app has issues with how smoothly it scrolls. this just isn't something you can or should defend. The choppiness is not a design decision. It's a bug and it needs to be smoothened out a little. that's it.
    It's not a big deal.

    The phone app has other omissions but i'll stick to the choppiness for now
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's not "support", that's sales. I was hoping to buy a Ford Thunderbird, and was disappointed in when they quit selling them. That doesn't mean Ford doesn't support them. However, you're right in that eventually the device you purchased a year or more ago (or even last week) won't be sold, and eventually won't be supported. That's not a "Palm" issue, that's what phone companies do.
    Sony's a pretty big company, but they're not doing much on the Clie I have around here someplace...

    However, Palm is supporting the WebOS and Pre, but you have to actually be a customer.... I think that was the point being made.
    Chattermail is software not hardware. Palm stopped selling it in May and stopped supporting it this month. I expect that they will not be selling any PalmOS devices by the end of the year and they may have already stopped manufacturing them. They have effectively abandoned the platform and its users.

    The new WebOS seems to be aimed at a completely different set of customers. I suspect that many PalmOS users and developers will eventually end up using and devloping for different platforms, though the Classic app should help Palm retain more of their PalmOS users.

    I think WebOS will probably be successful but I don't think it will ever have the market dominance PalmOS had at one time. The competition is much tougher now.
  16. #276  
    The GUI lag (which isn't horrible to me, actually I am surprised how well it performs without graphic acceleration), will be fixed as soon as they tap into the GPU.

    Palm can't win with some of you guys. Nothing will ever be good enough.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  17. #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I like your vigor, but you are wrong on this one.
    The phone app has issues with how smoothly it scrolls. this just isn't something you can or should defend. The choppiness is not a design decision. It's a bug and it needs to be smoothened out a little. that's it.
    It's not a big deal.

    The phone app has other omissions but i'll stick to the choppiness for now
    Again, I don't see it on mine.

    Please note, I'm not saying I can't make it do it. I can. However, when I scroll through mine at a usable rate, IE one in which I can read, it's not choppy, nor does it lag.

    Here's my example
    I've got 18 calls total so far today. The screen can show 5 at one time.
    If I click on the bottom one, and "flick" it up, it takes my phone < 1/2 second to scroll through to tomorrow's calls. I can't read my calls that fast.

    At that rate, it's not at all choppy on my phone.

    If I continue on, it does begin to get choppy, as I get to later days; however, that only happens if I'm scrolling faster than I can read the entries. I'm not talking about reading the details, but reading enough of the entry to see who it's from.

    I see this as an aesthics issue. the log is usable (for me) as it is.
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Chattermail is software not hardware. Palm stopped selling it in May and stopped supporting it this month. I expect that they will not be selling any PalmOS devices by the end of the year and they may have already stopped manufacturing them. They have effectively abandoned the platform and its users.

    The new WebOS seems to be aimed at a completely different set of customers. I suspect that many PalmOS users and developers will eventually end up using and devloping for different platforms, though the Classic app should help Palm retain more of their PalmOS users.

    I think WebOS will probably be successful but I don't think it will ever have the market dominance PalmOS had at one time. The competition is much tougher now.
    I wasn't aware that Palm stopped supporting it this month; however, my ignorance on that isn't really surprising, since I stopped using the device that uses it 2 1/2 months ago . Actually, I had stopped using the software about 3 years ago. I used the GroupWise email client on my Treo.

    Your last paragraph above though nails the issue. Though the new WebOS may not give Palm the dominance it once had, it does something the PalmOS had ceased doing for them. It allows them to stay in business and compete.
  19. #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I like your vigor, but you are wrong on this one.
    The phone app has issues with how smoothly it scrolls. this just isn't something you can or should defend. The choppiness is not a design decision. It's a bug and it needs to be smoothened out a little. that's it.
    It's not a big deal.

    The phone app has other omissions but i'll stick to the choppiness for now
    Don't bother. I checked out of this thread right about when they started citing the Pre's declining sales numbers (that Palm and Sprint are afraid to divulge) as support FOR the notion that the vast majority of Pre owners have little to no complaints, when those figures - whatever they may be - suggest the opposite.
  20. #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't bother. I checked out of this thread right about when they started citing the Pre's declining sales numbers (that Palm and Sprint are afraid to divulge) as support FOR the notion that the vast majority of Pre owners have little to no complaints, when those figures - whatever they may be - suggest the opposite.
    I'm so confused....
    First of all, you know they're "afraid to divulge" based on what??
    And, while you claim to have "checked outo f this thread", you're here not only reading, but posting...
    Finally, I don't know how I missed it, but could you point out the thread where anyone said that "declining sales numbers" are "support FOR the notion that the vast majority of Pre owners have little to no complaints"...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions