View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 128 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2878118123124125126127128129130131132133138178 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 4493
    ... Of course we all seem to be forgetting the solution of just using Google Docs too.

If you use http://docs.google.com on your desktop, to make the layout you want, then you can go to the same site on your Pre, where it'll present a mobile formatted version, with your headers at the top, and then just a button to add a new row for each new expense you want to add.

Not quite as powerful as Excel, but might do what you want to do. The left shows the desktop view, right shows the Pre's view.

SecondGuessing, did you have a Palm-OS-based Treo? If yes, did you have and use Documents to Go? If yes, then you could purchase a copy of "Classic" from MotionApps and use your old Docs to Go until a WebOS-native version has hit the street.

Just a thought. :-)
    you sound like a real nutcase. get help!
    secondguessing, I understand your dilema. You like the device but it's not fitting your needs. For me, in a phone I want, expanse tracking which pulls from the sources, bill reminders, internet with flash, weather with weather alerts a good student planner with notifications photo viewer, music player decent camera, and access to view my docs, email stuff and do all my facebook stuff without a computer. Currently I can do most of this with the exception of a good expense tracker and bill reminding app. However thankfully atleast my bank has a good mobile site (BOA). So for me, the pre does mostly what I want (facebook still needs notifications) however, when I first got it, it didn't do any of that and was primarily just a phone with great internet and a cool os (of course it had camera and photo viewer ect.) point is, I got what I wanted and didn't sacrifice quality. My thought on your need for excel is this, since ur previous phone didn't have it (from what I'm understanding is you had the chocolate) then why give up a potentially killer phone to go to a phone just for the app? Also after using android a bit, I prefer webos even though android does have more apps. The os is seamless, simple and has great potential. Have you come across info on the palm PDK in your research? In simple, we will probably see a ton of iphone apps ported over, and that will probably be when we see docs to go, since it's already been released in beta form to developers I wouldn't be surprised if it's soon. Also what will come are apps like ringtone editors and downloaders, and several other apps, probably at low prices since making them for the pre should be easy.

don't be chased away by those who seem offending. When I first joined this site I was fascinated with the great environment and development, so much so, I even contacted developers and contributed ideas, and even graphics. I've recently noticed alot of frustration with those against the phone, even in legitimate situations like this. You simple are torn and want a reason to stay, and I say, stay because if you look at it this way, you'd be stuck with your droid for 2 years, and I'm positive datavis will come out with something far befor then, not to mention palm releasing more good stuff. Plus droids 5 mp camera is no even as good as the pre's 3.2. (tested it myself) in the long run, the pre is far worth it. And if you do stay, stick around, even if not to speak up in the forums, because precentral is the best to go for all info pre and there are some great helpful people around here
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    secondguessing, I understand your dilema. You like the device but it's not fitting your needs. For me, in a phone I want, expanse tracking which pulls from the sources, bill reminders, internet with flash, weather with weather alerts a good student planner.........
    writing major by any chance?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ??
    I didnt read past the first page and i cant believe this thread went past TWO pages already...secondguessing talks about the phone having alot of "funsies" but wat about people with NEEDS!

uh, i run a business form this phone via email, paypal, web access...thatd be something one would need. This should have ended long ago with the NO YOU CANT EDIT EXCEL answer because I dont see why it should be other people who must make you choose something. we're all grown free-thinkers here (or at least i hope??)

What a weird thread....smh
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondGuessing View Post
    I can LIVE with the apps, they'll come eventually, but I can't live w/o excel. If I were palm and they were really trying to save themselves they should have literally PAID docs to go or offered them a SWEET deal or offered to charge us more. I'd pay it!

This phone is by far my awesome than the droid, American consumers HATE to compromise, we want it all...and this phone has more potential - someone at palm dropped the ball. Hard. And needs to be replaced.

Okay enough of a rant!

Also, YES I can add an audio file, but getting the audio file will cost me cash if I don't already have it. Mabilo is free. I'm not really tech savvy but I thought getting free music just didn't happen anymore....like seriously they do have the "kyle's mom's a *****" song as a ring tone and I WILL have that for my husbands ex wife do-or-die! So it will cost more and isn't pre clipped.

Many apps are there but cost $5 vs being free on Droid. Will I pay for them if they work well, probably, since I like the palm as a phone better - however, sometimes they're not rated as well being 3 stars instead of 5 etc.

So in short the ease of use for swipes is sooo much better on palm but transfering and using ringtones and excel is just crappier. BLAHHHHHHH
    I'm really not understanding this thread at all. All of the information about possibilities with apps, the cost of apps, etc etc are pointless, if the following is true.

I can LIVE with the apps, they'll come eventually, but I can't live w/o excel.

The Pre can't edit Excel. If that's a requirement for you, you have the wrong phone.
    Lurker

I know this is the big bad evil web where there are mean people but do you think maybe I was hopeing you'd somehow talk me out of it.

It's an internal conflict, the palm rocks as a user interface.
    No one should try to talk you out of it. If you have a specific requirement, and the Pre doesn't fit that requirement, why would you "hope" for someone to talk you out of it.

Unless you mean talk you out of the requirement. If so, you'll have to tell us why you need Excel.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm really not understanding this thread at all. All of the information about possibilities with apps, the cost of apps, etc etc are pointless, if the following is true.

I can LIVE with the apps, they'll come eventually, but I can't live w/o excel.

The Pre can't edit Excel. If that's a requirement for you, you have the wrong phone.
    i think she's just tight with money and wants free apps and free music and ringtones and is using the Excel angle as a way to come across as someone sophisticated looking for an essential piece of software.
    Last edited by chud311; 03/19/2010 at 03:34 AM.
    Unless you mean talk you out of the requirement. If so, you'll have to tell us why you need Excel.
    she does. she uses it to track every little expense and she would rather hold up everyone in the checkout line instead of waiting until she gets home to manage her spending.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Thank you for everyone trying to be helpful. I will check into a couple of the suggestions when my head stops pounding.

For those who are mean and rude - IF I keep the palm you have successfully chased me off of this website.

Keep it up, chase people away, and there will be no one left developing for palm because you'll have chased all the people trying to make this cool product work, away.
    lol most developers actually TRY the phones/devices and figure out ways to MAKE them work for them, rather than having boards/forums where they can post "hey i dont like this phone, but i like how good it is.and its fun. and it swipes away. but i dont like how it doesnt address my needs, which is one 'need' really...."

...crickets...

only to later say, "well by that i meant convince me to like the phone please because I can not like it by itself, nor can i test it out for several days to learn its ins and outs."

Yes, all that, is NOT wat developers would do, so I think the forums will be fine. But thanks again for your contribution....to yourself. this dead horse is beaten.

p.s: cashbox is 0.99 cents, and cashbox lite is FREE, i use both those apps to track my expenses and keep a ledger since it self calculates. If only i had a forum to just tell me this rather than finding it on my own.
    Jraw

Well you see I'm a very very organized person. I run my life on excel sheets. For instance, I track every expense/dime we spend. (Mainly to A) get my family to stop overspending and B) prove how much in taxes we REALLY pay. This usually has me with endless piles of receipts waiting to be tracked. It's a disastrous mess that has my daugther calling my purse "the abyss" I want to be able to just type in the excel field and forget at the store - trash the receipt.

I do tend to disagree that no phone will replace alaptop/desktop. It's more difficult, but the functionality is there all the way through editing powerpoints. Maybe for larger huge projects you need your lap top - but for things that take 20 seconds to update, I want it on my phone.

I think if the doc editing were really coming out soon, they'd (docs2go not palm) be more forthcoming.
    I don't have the program, but Expense Tracker either has, or will shortly have, CSV export capabilities, so you could import the data into Excel. I say has or will shortly, the vendor lists March as the target date for that. Unlike the big boys, smaller vendors are usually more accurate on their predictions on things like that, especially the addition of a single feature.

Here's their website:
    RC Software ExpenseTracker - Presentation
    Or if you're looking for a more positive response? What apps do you have that you think are just awesome that I may be missing and give me a reason to stay?
    One of the "awsome apps" I have for my Pre that isn't available on the iPhone (or even a similar app) is GeoStrings (I have to say, I don't know if it something similar is available on the Android, probably is.).

GeoStrings is a ToDo list, but instead of being based on time, it's based on location. In other words, if you need to pick up the latest DVD release, you put it in as a GeoString with your local DVD retailers as locations. When you get close to one of them, a reminder pops up.

Here's their website. Hedami

(But, I have to warn you, it won't edit Excel files).
    Honestly if you venture into an open internet forum a thicker skin might be the accessory to invest in. You need not respond to every nasty post, it's like real life. You let yourself be antagonized and offended by what is merely casual scenery (some of which I don't believe to be inappropriate or mean spirited for that matter), it will only perpetuate and probably accelerate those forces. All sources of useful information online or in real life require you to wade through some murkiness and understand the ebb and flow, behavior and etiquette of a community. Don't presumptuously demand that a community of users cater to your specific whim without understanding the way this community operates. Frak that. Do some good anthropological research into the community before you complain about people being "mean." You are fortunate to have stumbled upon a place that has the grace to reward you for your presumption and not only try to convince you to join the cult, but genuinely want to present you with information for your benefit.
    I can't help it. Sorry SecondGuessing you are probably a very nice lady, but I had a mental picture, and Chud's post just pushed me over the edge into writing it:
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    your husband is either a saint or an alcoholic.
    I was thinking more the poor guys she dated back in single days:

SecondGuessing No, I can't get grab a pizza with you tomorrow, I have to go to my grandmother's funeral, I'll be gone for a week
    PoorSchmuck Ahhh, I'm sorry, and I'll be headed back to Australia by the time you get back. So sorry, I think it would have been fun.
    SecondGuessing Hey, you don't have to give up so quickly you know. I was sort of hoping you'd try to talk me out of going to MiMaw's funeral. She was important to me, but I do have another Grammie.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    ... Of course we all seem to be forgetting the solution of just using Google Docs too.
    Excellent advice Joe (Joe, right? Please tell me I got it right this time...), except for one thing - This:

However, I can't edit excel docs (I thought I could and I know it's "Coming" but I'm sorry I'll believe that when I SEE it) which is important to me and NO I don't want to use google docs I want to send things back and forth with ease.
    We all were a bit restricted in what we should advise, until she opened up a little on the requirements...
    Excellent advice Joe (Joe, right? Please tell me I got it right this time...), except for one thing - This:

We all were a bit restricted in what we should advise, until she opened up a little on the requirements...
    Yeah it's right this time. Haha, I think I must've seen that part of it about Google Docs when I made my first post, and then missed it the second time around or something.
    Can I then transfer it to my computer when I feel like it? Electronically, w/o plugs?
    Seriously? Two words: Google Docs. It's on a cloud. You edit it on your phone, the changes are in your computer's browser instantly. Then you have the option of downloading it onto your computer in virtually every possible format. Your aversion to using Google Docs is kind of odd since it seems to be precisely what you're looking for.
    wow, i cant believe i read through all of this........ but i did learn some things.... and some stuff lol. thx for opening my eyes to google docs guys going go use it right now! had no idea that existed and its sooooo what i needed, at least you guys helped one person. ME! and no im not being sarcastic.
    Secondguessing,

What about using GoogleDocs for spreadsheets for now? That's how I got around D2G not being out yet (which really is a shame).
    Don't really understand your frustration with ringtones lol

You either use one of the tones in the phone, or you transfer your own TO the phone? or download one off the net. I HONESTLY don't see where the hard part of that is, sorry The majority (And I mean, almost everyone other than those Audiophiles that use OGG and such) have their music in MP3 format, or WAV format, which can both be put onto the pre, and chosen as your ringtone....

Just use Google Docs, living inside Excel is just sad.