View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 123 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2373113118119120121122123124125126127128133173223 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 4493
    when i try to download something from the app catalog i get the download bar but no progress. also i have a blank download bar with no app associated with it at the top of my app list that shows downloading also with no progress and i cant pause or get rid of it. any suggestions
    Some people are NEVER happy. How about you thank palm for building such a great and open product that people A) Want to make it better B) Have the option/ability to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifty9Dunes View Post
    it's true that i can talk cod **** to strangers all day - but as far as speed goes - put your pre next to an iPhone or a newer android device and compare load times for apps - any app will do - it's blatantly obvious that the pre is slow. we did it all day at work before i returned it. tested against every version of the iPhone, G1's, hell, even a Cliq. the pre cannot keep up with real life.
    Actually, your comparison isn't valid. When Windows first came out, the load time for a Windows program was much slower than the load time for a DOS program. That's because the nature of the user interface. However, load time does not = speed time. Just like on a Windows machine, I load several programs and keep them running, where I could not do that on a DOS machine, on the Pre you can load multiple programs and keep them running. You don't have to constantly load, unload, and reload apps.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not. However, the comparison you're making is simply not valid.
    I come from nowhere but PalmOS since my pilot.
    I could say I really really really love the webos cards system.
    HOWEVER, after each time need to count at least 3 before the phone app could let me dial. I tell myself. How could a phone be a good phone like this?!

We need to face the realty!!! Even Palm Pre or WebOS could fly, it must serve the very very basic need first. And the basic need was the reason I stuck on my Treo 650 before.

Consider iphone , android could load phone app instantly, if iphone pro-stitch or android phone with 'app' could give webos cards feel,i will give up my palm pre.

Palm pls , don't let me give up this 15years + relation
    Last edited by tonylawca; 03/06/2010 at 07:06 PM.
  5. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I got 1.4 on my 4th Pre and the camera went haywire.

check out this video (not shameless promotion i swear):

see those obnoxious white lines that are ever-present?

they also infected my still photos. so i called sprint tech support, they said they couldn't do anything by phone, and to take it into the Sprint store for a tech to look at it.

so my complaint has a happy ending, though! there's a lemon rule, and after the 4th replacement, i got a brand spanking new Pre. it's so dang solid, and the button is redesigned slightly.

is anyone else experiencing the white line issue?

edit: also almost all my videos that were longer than 30 seconds would "skip" and then audio and video would be out of sync for the remainder of the video. you can hear a tiny skip in the video posted above toward the beginning as well.
    Last edited by GFS; 03/07/2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by GFS View Post
    I got 1.4 on my 4th Pre and the camera went haywire.

check out this video (not shameless promotion i swear):

see those obnoxious white lines that are ever-present?

they also infected my still photos. so i called sprint tech support, they said they couldn't do anything by phone, and to take it into the Sprint store for a tech to look at it.

so my complaint has a happy ending, though! there's a lemon rule, and after the 4th replacement, i got a brand spanking new Pre. it's so dang solid, and the button is redesigned slightly.

is anyone else experiencing the white line issue?

edit: also almost all my videos that were longer than 30 seconds would "skip" and then audio and video would be out of sync for the remainder of the video. you can hear a tiny skip in the video posted above toward the beginning as well.
    Sorry, can't help you with the white lines, but you've got a nice voice.
    Why do you even use the dialer? Just punch in the number or name from home and go... wasted time to open the dialer. Though it's eaier for us Pixi folk since we don't have a slide out keyboard to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    I could say I really really really love the webos cards system.
    HOWEVER, after each time need to count at least 3 before the phone app could let me dial. I tell myself. How could a phone be a good phone like this?!

We need to face the realty!!! Even Palm Pre or WebOS could fly, it must serve the very very basic need first. And the basic need was the reason I stuck on my Treo 650 before.

Consider iphone , android could load phone app instantly, if iphone pro-stitch or android phone with 'app' could give webos cards feel,i will give up my palm pre.

Palm pls , don't let me give up this 15years + relation
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I miss my 700P
    I miss the 5 way navigator.
    I miss the Hot Sync feature.
    I miss the reliable & snappy performance.
    I miss the removable memory slot.
    I miss changing chanels on my TV with the built-in IR transmiter.
    I miss the BT that connected to my 2007 BMW 335xi
    I miss Documents to Go.

The Palm Pre w/ WebOS, it's just like NEW COKE!
    thats what classic is for
    I liked ir slots too.. sadly they're dead.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I liked ir slots too.. sadly they're dead.

We'll never get to see this scenario play out ever again.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I had no trouble getting my Centro or Pre to sync up with my Ford Focus' Sync system. Maybe the problem is with your Beamer?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    My BT worked great BEFORE update 1.4. Now, "it no work".
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
    My BT worked great BEFORE update 1.4. Now, "it no work".
    sucks man...my jawbone works perfectly b4 and after 1.4
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Naris View Post
    YouTube - Palm Ad: The Train[/url]

We'll never get to see this scenario play out ever again.
    It's so true!! I miss the IR days....
  16. one
    1 Introduction

I love the Pre, I love the idea behind it, I love WebOS, I am a linux professonist i.e. I find it great to have a mobile phone OS which is linux based, I really have fun with it ...... BUT

• I find that the hardware choice is really not the best you could do especially for what concerns the camera and the memory--> this is really bad because this is not something which you can change “on the fly”, and I am sure this is a killing criterion for a lot of people (I know personally a lot of them)
    • I find the software is good but still “on the way” to get really good. i.e. is not mature jet --> this is not so bad because you can easily change this “on the fly”

That’s why I write here (hoping that someone from palm reads it), because I am deeply convicted that feedbacks are the best way to get to the point, i.e. to get where the customers want, and to get other/new/different ideas.

So please consider my suggestions for future improvement of your product.

I know things are on the flow, so if I list up something which was already changed, fixed, added, it is fine.....
    I not interested in “hacking” the pre with “unconventional solutions”, what I would aim is to get those things to work “out-of-the-box” or as “standard download app”.

My reference device is
    • version= “Palm webOS 1.3.5.2”
    • configuration= “World Ready 1.2”

2 Hardware

• Extremely bad camera (this is, in my opinion, almost a killing criterion against this mobile!):
      • No zoom !!!!! (that is deadly!” my 5 years old “stupid” mobile phone had it!)
      • No settings (except flash on/off): oh come on!!
      • Bad image quality (especially on “high ISO”/low light)
      • Only 3 Mpixel (nowadays 5 Mpixel is the lowest end for a mobile phone i.e. it is the minimum one would expect from an expensive smart phone)
    • Too less intern memory (this is, in my opinion, almost a killing criterion against this mobile!): nowadays 8 GB is the lowest end, of the cheapest devices. I would expect by far much more from such an expensive device (I got it full right away as soon as I put some music in it), especially because the price for flash memory nowadays it is really low!
    • Memory is not expansible with extra memory card (this is, in my opinion, almost a killing criterion against this mobile!). If you put “so less” intern memory at least let me expand it!
    • Poor telephone reception: extremely low reception field where other telephones have rather good one (side by side) bad/poor telephone antenna?
    • Poor battery life:
      • Increase the battery life by optimizing the battery usage of the WebOS
      • Skip a better (stronger, much stronger) battery with the telephone
      • Sell a better (stronger, much stronger) “palm pre branded” original battery (but still as thin as the “original one”: I do not want the pre to get 2 cm thick)
    • There is no “hole for a strap”
    • A Pre with Dual SIM would be great!
    • No video

3 Software

3.1 Date& Time – Bug (?)

• Waiting for Network ...
      • Network Time = ON --> Waiting for Network Time....
      • Network Timezone = ON -->Waiting for Network Zone.....

since “always”. WHY? Where does it get the Network Time& Zone?
      • From the GPS signal
      • From the Wireless Network
      • From the “telephone provider” (telephone functionality only)
      • From the “data provider” (data channel; (“Data Usage = ON”)
      • From one of them no matter which

If it works only with “Data Usage = ON” it rather “stupid”: NTP (the protocol behind the whole network time story) can use the signal from whatever source you define, as soon as it can reach it no matter how!

• Time is rapidly drifting:
      • Network Time = ON --> Waiting for Network Time
      • Network Timezone = ON --> Waiting for Network Zone
        Since I do not get the time from the network I have set it once manually. In 1.5 Weeks it has drifted to +4 min!!!!! --> bad internal clock!

3.2 Keyboard / Spell

• Spell Check!!!:
      • You should be able to set a language for the text (even other than the pre language setting) at the beginning of typing or while writing (it might be that parts of the text are in one language and other are in another language)
      • You should be able to add custom words to the dictionary.
      • If not auto-complete (to speed up typing) it should at least mark as error ("office word" like) and offer alternative spelling based on the active dictionary
    • All “special characters” are to choose from a symbols virtual pad: think of typing in german and be forced to choose in this way all the ,,, !!!! it takes ages! At least you should add special shortcuts for some UNICODE special characters based on the palm language and / or on the “locale” of the palm
    • There are no move cursor arrows (up – down – left – right) keyboard keys: if you have to move the cursor just few characters away the touch screen is not sensible enough to let you do it effectively by touching the screen with the finger!!!
    • No virtual keyboard: it does not have to be a QUERTY. The “old style” easy keyboard would be by far enough! It is rather stupid to be forced to open the physical keyboard, for example only to look for a contact entry which starts with “T”
    • No emoticons: if you want to enter emoticons (smiles) in your message /SMS/mail) you have to remember their “keyboard” coding! There is no way to enter the emoticon “directly” as a symbol!

3.3 Calling

• Use Call-by-call provider: i.e. to be able to
      • save a contact with its "standard" telephone number: say "Max_Test = +39 111 77889911"
      • save the call-by-call provider number (either in the address book or in a "special memory"): say "myprovider1 = +49 222 33445566"
      • call Max Test using the call-by-call provider: "myprovider1 p Max_Test" (where p is a pause)
        Note that this is not the scenario which palm has foreseen with the "dialing shortcuts"!
    • Say you call one of those hotlines where you have to type digits while calling in order to end up in the wanted department. Since there is no virtual keyboard to do this you have to open the keyboard while telephoning: this is rather uncomfortable!

3.4 Calendar

• Add custom date as reminder time: now it is possible to choose a reminder only at “fix times” (1 hours before, ....., 1 day before). The possibility to have a flexible date as reminder is missing: say appointment on 5:00 am 10.03.2010 I want to be reminded at 9:00 am 09.03.2010 (I do not want to be wacked up one day before i.e. at 5:00 09.03.2010!!! )
    • Add the differentiation between appointments and “reminders”: an appointment is something which happens at a precise time and really sets your time as busy. A reminder is just something that you have to keep in mind it will happen or you have to do but which does not really “occupy your time” (a birthday reminding, for example, or “remember that in the week 27 my best friend will be in town”). They should be shown differently in the calendar in ALL views (INCLUDED THE MONTH VIEW!)
    • Add a special “colour” or “symbol” for reminders in the calendar month view: since this is not something which occupies your time it must be shown differently in the calendar, but it must be shown to be able to see at first look that there si something to keep in mind (for example “remember that in the week 27 my best friend will be in town” if I do not see the reminder at all in the month view it might happen that I plan a trip out of town exactly in that week!). For example you could add a small “colourful triangle” at the right-upper corner of the day in the month view for a reminder.
    • Chose the colour of the calendar background (IN ALL VIEWS) as a “function of the day” (shift functionality): for people having shifts like me it would be a great thing. Suppose you have 1 week early shift, and the week afterwards late shift. This the whole year long. If you would be able to know at first look which shift you have by looking at the colour of the background of the calendar it would be ABSOLUTELLY GREAT!
    • Change the default calendar view: the default calendar view in the Pre is "day". Add the possibility to change the default calendar view in “week” or “month” view.
    • Change the default reminder time: now the default reminder time is 15 min (for normal appointments), add the possibility to set it for example 1 day in advance, or 2 hours in advance by default.
    • Set explicitly by default a security level for the calendar entries: there is no way to set explicitly (based on accustom default) the security status of the calendar entries on the pre. If you sync with google calendar you will see that the calendar entries coming from the pre are set as "default" (which is not public, nor private: it depends on the standard that you set on the google account): this is bad!

3.5 Contacts

• There are too few categories for a telephone number. Foreseen are only:
      • Mobile
      • Home
      • Work
      • Fax
      • Other

Nowadays it would AT LEAST make sense if it would be:
      • Mobile Home
      • Mobile Work
      • Home
      • Work
      • Fax Home
      • Fax Work
      • Other
    • There is no way to create “custom” categories for the telephone numbers. For example:
      • Home holiday
      • Home parents
    • There is no way to set a primary flag: say your contact have 5 home email addresses, 2 home mobile phone numbers and an ISDN at home with 3 numbers! You should be able to set fr each of those fields a “primary” one so that you can recognize “the best one” and use it at first!
    • Full contacts sync with google:
      • Nicknames now are not synced!
      • Birthdays now are not synced!
      • Type of telephone is not always correctly synced (“other” is synced as “home”!)

3.6 Mail

• Be able to choose to download by default only the Mail header (and not the whole mail content/body) and only “manually” on selected mails download the whole body (see volume/time limits on telephone data contracts).
    • Be able to set to check for new mails only if on a wireless connection is active but not if a telephone data connection is active (see volume/time limits on telephone data contracts)

3.7 AppStore

• Still rather poor choice
    • Most choice via “unofficial” channels (bad)
    • AppStore country dependent i.e. some apps which are seen on the USA palm page do not appear in the german AppStore (for example)
    • There is no AppStore in the Web. As nice as it can be to browse with the pre, browse with a normal PC is still more comfortable. I.e. I would like to choose my apps with the pc and the install them with the pre
      • Games missing:
      • Mah-jong
      • Tetris
      • The millionaire (country dependent. Country choice)

3.8 Music Player / Video Player

• Music player
      • There is no “play directory” option
      • There is no auto re-start listening from the last listening point: recover the point of the last listening
      • There is no bookmark on audio: say you listen to a audio book ... you would like to be able to set manually a bookmark in order to keep “listening” from the tight point (no matter if you have listened to some other musing in the meanwhile!: note this is very different from the previous point)
    • Video player
      • There is no auto re-start looking from the last seen scene: recover automatically the point of the last seeing
      • There is no bookmark on video: set manually a bookmark (no matter if you have seen to some other video in the meanwhile!: note this is very different from the previous point)

3.9 GPS / Navigation

• There is no GPS strength symbol displayed i.e. I do not see if the location I get is due to the GPS or due to the telephony cell I am into!
    • navigation software:
      • There is no “real” navigation software
      • There is no “off-line” navigation software: say you are in Roaming somewhere and you have to use the navi: if you switch the telephone data channel on you pay a huge amount of money, and most probably you will not have a wireless connection. I.e. i the moment where probably you need the navi the most, you cannot use it!

3.10 Sync

• There is no possibility to direct sync with a PC:
      • Only possible via third party commercial software
      • Only possible with outlook and not with other programs (thunderbird for example)
    • Full contacts sync with google:
      • Nicknames now are not synced!
      • Birthdays now are not synced!
      • Type of telephone is not always correctly synced (“other” is synced as “home”!)
    • Set explicitly by default a security level for the calendar entries: there is no way to set explicitly (based on accustom default) the security status of the calendar entries on the pre. If you sync with google calendar you will see that the calendar entries coming from the pre are set as "default" (which is not public, nor private: it depends on the standard that you set on the google account): this is bad!
    • In the “backup mode” there is no possibility to customized what is getting synchronized with the “palm backup center” (I would maybe get backed-up my contacts but for sure not my passwords!, for example)

3.11 Locked Status

• The “show when locked” does not work
    • External Notifications: There is no way to see “incoming warnings” if the pre is locked. The screen is completely black i.e. whatever “warning” I do get while not looking at it (not hearing at it) will not be seen until I unlock it or try to unlock it!
      • Missed call
      • Appointment reminder
      • SMS
      • Mail

You should
      • either change the “screen status” of the pre while locked pre with “incoming warning” active from “off” to “on” but with extreme low contrast (to avoid battery usage as most as possible)
      • or add an “hardware LED” which flashes or is on while pre locked with “incoming warning” active (this is the option with the less battery usage, but probably would imply an hardware change)
      • Use the “pre central button” to do the “hardware LED” functionality (best!) --> light up, flash, colorize ....

3.12 Various

• Copy entryes from one profile to another: Say you have your profile set as google. Say you want to quit google and set your profile set to palm" or whatever else. If you just remove the original profile, all the entries connected to that profile will disappear (calendar, contacts etc). Now say you want to remove the profile but you want to KEEP having your calendar entries, your contacts etc .... Up to now there is no way to say: copy all "entries of the (for example) google profile into "another profile".
    • Alert Tones. Option to pick different tones for different alerts and the option to assign a tone to an email account
    • Application “Organisation”: If you download/install a lot of application you end up with a total chaos in the “launcher” pages. As far as I know there are only 3 pages and all the downloaded application (no matter which is the category of the application) goes in the “second launcher page” Why you do not
      • add either “more launcher pages” so that for example I could put (for example) all games in “launcher page #4”, all translation tools in “launcher page #5 “ etc ..
      • or add a “subfolders possibility” in the “launcher pages” such that I could have (for example) a subfolder “games”, 1 subfolder “translation tools” ....
    • Web: Flash support
    • Office Tools: Be able to edit (modify) “office” documents (excel, power point, word)
    • Bluetooth: There is no Bluetooth data transfer functionality
    • Shell: Why don’t you offer at least a non privileged (user not root) shell by default on the pre without being forced to “root-it”? (at least as a downloadable application, if not installed by default)
    • Multi-select to cancel: Be able to multi-select messages (SMS, mail, etc) to cancel: now you can cancel only one-by-one
    • Landscape Mode. It’s nice and all to have it in the browser, but it’s time to start adding landscape mode to more applications, email, memos, and Doc and PDF View
    Last edited by one; 03/10/2010 at 09:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    So I've had my Pre for 4 weeks as of tomorrow - and last night it already broke

Not a big break, mind you; but here's how it happened.

I had the car charger plugged into the pre and slid it open to make a phone call. At the end of the phone call, I slid it shut.
    When the charger/cable is plugged in, a tiny piece of plastic under the charging connector (it's black and acts as sort of a housing for the connector) expands ever-so-slightly. This piece of plastic got enough in the way that it broke when the slider was shutting; thus preventing my phone from being able to fully open.

I had to take off the battery cover, take out the battery, and remove the plastic piece using a pair of needle-nose pliers.

The phone opens and shuts just fine now; I'm just a little annoyed that such a tiny piece of plastic could screw things up like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCTWeb View Post
    So I've had my Pre for 4 weeks as of tomorrow - and last night it already broke

Not a big break, mind you; but here's how it happened.

I had the car charger plugged into the pre and slid it open to make a phone call. At the end of the phone call, I slid it shut.
    When the charger/cable is plugged in, a tiny piece of plastic under the charging connector (it's black and acts as sort of a housing for the connector) expands ever-so-slightly. This piece of plastic got enough in the way that it broke when the slider was shutting; thus preventing my phone from being able to fully open.

I had to take off the battery cover, take out the battery, and remove the plastic piece using a pair of needle-nose pliers.

The phone opens and shuts just fine now; I'm just a little annoyed that such a tiny piece of plastic could screw things up like that.
    this is why i use a touchstone in my car and only use usb for webOS quick install
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Well, my wife has had it with Palm. She was a devotee with her Treo which she had for 4-5 years and finally decided to update her phone and went for the pre after seeing the webos software which she thought was terrific.

However, with the addition of webos 1.4 mant things have happened with the phone. I will preface this by saying that I removed, updated, and reinstalled everything so I know no issues there, but...

1. Phone will not synch with her BMW (I don't care if it's BMW?Palm?or both at fault)
    2. Missed calls are showing up as duplicates
    3. On change to daylight savings-- all calendar entries were "time adjusted"
    4. Youmail not downloading voice mails--- I've mentioned this to Arcticus several times and I know the settings are correct. In fact we still need to delete the latest version of Youmail to put on the patch as it does not automatically update to the new version. Have done this 4 times already.

Yes Yes, reset, web doctor etc...

On top of all this, we sent in our rebates for the phones which were denied by Palm for not "having the correct information." What a load of bunk. Obviously if you've read the latest articles things are not so rosy for Palm and it is doubtful they can last as an independent. Things must be bad to try and deny rebates that were promised to customers, nor do I have the time to keep getting on the phone with Customer service. If I re-send then they'll next say that I sent it in after the deadline.

While I love the webos concepts, this really was very damaging to Palm with all of these issues with the new release. Other companies can survive this kind of stuff, but with Palm on the brink, this is just careless and does not show any astute business acumen.

Goodbye to Palm, it's sad because they do have the best OS out there, but...thats not the whole story
    Ah come on, 1.4 ist buggy yes, but it's not the first firmware in the world that has issues. There's going to be a fix and you are back to normal...
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering