View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 225 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Your distinction between flaws and "design decisions" is itself flawed. It is possible for a design decision to be flawed. It is also possible for a device to sync to the "cloud" for some data and to a desktop for other data (Exhibit A, the Blackberry).
    No doubt that it is possible. Please note that the BlackBerry comes with software to sync locally, thus indicating that it was designed for that.

Please note that Pre does not. Thus indicating that it is not designed to do so.

Whether or not that is a "design flaw" is open to personal opinion, it's not a matter of fact. A "flaw" though, is something that is designed to work a certain way, and does not.
    The Phone App is fine besides the following

The choppiness is real!! people need to stop defending for defendings sake, scrolling through a call log just isnt smooth

Lacks detailed information, times/calls/contacts etc

as far as design flaw, If a Phone isn't designed to do something and the manufacturer makes it clear before release IT IS NOT A FLAW. It wasn't mistakenly left out or will be added later, It was NOT designed to sync via desktop and that won't change.

Palm made a decision to not allow desktop syncing, the same way Ferrari made a decision to not put rear seats in the Enzo. Not a design flow. don't like it, buy a camry.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post

Palm made a decision to not allow desktop syncing, the same way Ferrari made a decision to not put rear seats in the Enzo. Not a design flow. don't like it, buy a camry.
    Guess folks need to get over the fact that desktop syncing is gone , i.e. "GONE" in as "GONE".

Bringing the conversation over and over is "living in the past".
    Yea, i can understand the frustration of people who desktop sync, sadly this isnt the phone for those people.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Guess folks need to get over the fact that desktop syncing is gone , i.e. "GONE" in as "GONE".

Bringing the conversation over and over is "living in the past".

actually it is living in the future, classicOS is going to allow syncing to desktop soon. so it is not gone anymore than classic palm apps are gone.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No doubt that it is possible. Please note that the BlackBerry comes with software to sync locally, thus indicating that it was designed for that.

Please note that Pre does not. Thus indicating that it is not designed to do so.

Whether or not that is a "design flaw" is open to personal opinion, it's not a matter of fact. A "flaw" though, is something that is designed to work a certain way, and does not.
    Design flaws are almost always open to differing opinions. I would not be surprised if we discovered that opinions differed even within Palm. To me ,a flaw is something that does not work the way you would wish it to. What you are describing as a flaw I would call a bug (if its software) or defect (hardware).
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    actually it is living in the future, classicOS is going to allow syncing to desktop soon. so it is not gone anymore than classic palm apps are gone.
    If they get that to work, the Pre will become a much more attractive option.
    If they get that to work, the Pre will become a much more attractive option.
    its already working, and should be here soon, you need to use bluetooth or wifi though, no cables.

MotionApps: Classic HotSync for Palm Pre

excerpt from the website.

Ability to synchronize contacts, calendar, notes, tasks and other PIM data between the Pre and desktop computer (including standard support for syncing contacts and calendar with Microsoft Outlook)
    Ability for existing Palm OS to easily migrate their data and applications from Palm OS phones to Pre
    Ability to use custom conduits and desktop applications that are syncing their data between desktop and phone through HotSync
    Easy installation of new Palm OS apps on the Palm Pre
    Easy and fast way for backing up data and applications on desktop computer

New version of Classic will be able to perform HotSync operations over Bluetooth or WiFi connections.

We still do not have the exact ETA for HotSync availability, but it will be included in one of the upcoming Classic updates as a free upgrade for all existing Classic users.
    There are four lights.
    That's pretty cool particularly the following excerpt:

"We are still testing the HotSync support in Classic, but as far as we can tell everything works without any limitations – including the numerous 3rd party conduits that we are using for testing to ensure 100% compatibility with Palm OS apps"

Defintitely puts the Pre back in into serious consideration for me.
    That's pretty cool particularly the following excerpt:

"We are still testing the HotSync support in Classic, but as far as we can tell everything works without any limitations including the numerous 3rd party conduits that we are using for testing to ensure 100% compatibility with Palm OS apps"

Defintitely puts the Pre back in into serious consideration for me.
    I agree, I love the pre, and so does my wife. My mother has been shopping for a PDA, she is a long time palm user. She had an iphone and returned it, for various reasons cost included. I have been holding off on recommending she get a pre until there is a more familiar version of classic with sync for her to fall back on. if properly implemented i think it would allow lots of people to move to the pre.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Long thread and I'm sure this has been said, but Palm would never have been anything without a phenomenal user community that has produced a mountain (to their molehill) of incredible applications.

Sure, it's a new phone and people will argue the features. I feel they fell short on many of the basics. Yes, this is a 1.0 release, but ... a digit to the left of the decimal tells me it's ready to go. Not going to get into this with anyone, that's my opinion and there's no arguing opinions.

Whether Palm hit it out of the park or not, I'm just glad they have the support group they do!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Can I steal this as a signature?
    Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well i can name about that many who continuously praise the Pre in any way they can. Programmed to cheerlead and ignore/defend even the most obvious flaws. When you say "i've no problem whatsoever with the phone app" then you have to wonder. Perhaps its not dealbreaking to you as some make it to be, but surely you can see plenty of room for improvement.
    The so called 'flaws' are subjective. Everyone has differing degrees of expectations and thresholds. Some people are so impatient, they can't wait an extra second. These are the types that should really do their homework before plunking down their money. I can wait, it doesn't bother me one bit to wait an extra second or two, so imo the phone app works great for me. If Palm can make it even faster, all the better, if they don't, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    In sports, these "loyal fans" are just as annoying as the consistently critical fans. These are also the sames ones who appear to respond to every critic griping they should be banned or posts moved to a subsection (usually its the only time the cheerleaders posted). In one sports forum, mods finally started booting the rival fans or extreme critics. The forum gradually died down and most left. Be careful what you wish for...
    So you basically disagree with having a positive attitude and being organized. Well that explains a lot.

It's been said many times, the people who constantly whine about features or expectations that haven't been met are the people who don't do the necessary research. They have no one to blame but themselves, NO ONE. There is a difference between having a wishlist of things one would like to see on the Pre, and constantly looking to point the finger and gripe.

Design flaws are almost always open to differing opinions. I would not be surprised if we discovered that opinions differed even within Palm. To me ,a flaw is something that does not work the way you would wish it to. What you are describing as a flaw I would call a bug (if its software) or defect (hardware).
    If something does not work the way one wishes it to, it's not a flaw if it wasn't designed that way. What's flawed is the wish or expectation. The Pre was designed to sync with the cloud out of the box. If for some reason it can't or doesn't sync what it's supposed to, then that's a flaw. If one believes it should be able to do both or the demand for such a feature is high, then one can say Palm made a poor decision or unintentional oversight, but that would still that one person's opinion and not a flaw.

Also, the Pre can sync locally with the right software, so there is no hardware limitation. However the non existence of the software in the package is not a flaw.
    Last edited by darreno1; 08/26/2009 at 10:42 PM.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The so called 'flaws' are subjective. Everyone has differing degrees of expectations and thresholds. Some people are so impatient, they can't wait an extra second. These are the types that should really do their homework before plunking down their money. I can wait, it doesn't bother me one bit to wait an extra second or two, so imo the phone app works great for me. If Palm can make it even faster, all the better, if they don't, no big deal.
    Sigh.

I really don't get this why this is still being debated. The critiques of the phone app are not subjective.

"I think the phone app should be colored navy blue. The green sucks."

THAT is a subjective critique.

"I miss calls because the Pre sometimes cannot wakeup and answer a call fast enough."

That is OBjective. Not subjective. It's not an opinion. This happens to multiple people, and it's not user error.

"The call log is a laggy, choppy experience that is so slow that you can scroll to blank spaces in the list where the app has yet to redraw."

OBjective critique. That's not an opinion. It's a bug that has been verified many, many times. You not "minding" this doesn't negate it.

"Hanging up is difficult because you sometimes have to press the hangup button multiple times or when you go to end a call, it's on the Contacts page instead of in the phone app. You just can't tell when the call is over sometimes."

OBjective critique. This is an observance of something that happened and continues to happen. Not an opinion.

This whole "Well, it's ok for me, so who cares if they fix it for other people" mindset is dumb. You know who should care? EVERY user that bought one and wants Palm to stay in business long enough to sire a robust OFFICIAL app catalog and innumerable bug fixes to these devices.
    [QUOTE=mikah912;1849327]

"I miss calls because the Pre sometimes cannot wakeup and answer a call fast enough."

That is OBjective. Not subjective. It's not an opinion. This happens to multiple people, and it's not user error.
    The subjective part is the reasoning. Jumping to the conclusion there is a flaw without considering other possibilities is dumb.

The only time the phone goes straight to voice mail for me, is when there is a poor signal.

"The call log is a laggy, choppy experience that is so slow that you can scroll to blank spaces in the list where the app has yet to redraw."

OBjective critique. That's not an opinion. It's a bug that has been verified many, many times. You not "minding" this doesn't negate it.
    If you're scrolling faster than the screen can redraw then yes it might skip to blank spaces. Having multiple apps open or CPU-hungry apps can cause this. But it's not a bug in the phone app. This can happen in the web browser also.
    There is only so much memory to go around and as discussed already, the CPU is doing all the processing at the moment. Updates to the OS should address this.

BTW, while scrolling can be a little choppy at times, I have yet to see the phone app skip to blank spaces.

"Hanging up is difficult because you sometimes have to press the hangup button multiple times or when you go to end a call, it's on the Contacts page instead of in the phone app. You just can't tell when the call is over sometimes."

OBjective critique. This is an observance of something that happened and continues to happen. Not an opinion.
    Continues to happen? Sorry not to me and I use the phone a lot during the day.

You don't have to press the hang up button multiple times, just once. It takes maybe a couple seconds at most to hangup. I can see the temptation to continually press the button by the impatient.

I'm sure in some cases where people have many cards running, or background apps hogging the resources, the phone app (like any other app) will lag more. Again it's a resource issue. Just like on a computer, the user is required to have the intelligence to take some action to free up some memory.

Objective critique? No, more like a lack of common sense.

This whole "Well, it's ok for me, so who cares if they fix it for other people" mindset is dumb.
    So because some users lack common sense, I should jump on the mindless bash bandwagon? Sorry I have more important things to worry about. My Pre works just fine for me. The dumb ones are those who failed to their homework.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    i'm gonna have to agree with easy123..and to be honest this phone is not fantastic. its not perfect (not that there's a lot of people out there saying it is) and its certainly not the best thing since sliced bread like so many make it out to be. the hardware is flimsy, you drop the thing and it breaks. as far as the software is concerned, the apps simply don't work together the way we were led to believe they would, they simply don't. so palm will keep plugging away and within 5 or 6 months this will probably be a really great phone. the thing i will say is this...its new. new operatinng system, new almost everything. in retrospect i should have waited 6 months then bought the thing.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegov View Post
    i'm gonna have to agree with easy123..and to be honest this phone is not fantastic. its not perfect (not that there's a lot of people out there saying it is) and its certainly not the best thing since sliced bread like so many make it out to be. the hardware is flimsy, you drop the thing and it breaks. as far as the software is concerned, the apps simply don't work together the way we were led to believe they would, they simply don't. so palm will keep plugging away and within 5 or 6 months this will probably be a really great phone. the thing i will say is this...its new. new operatinng system, new almost everything. in retrospect i should have waited 6 months then bought the thing.
    I've dropped mine several times. Not broken.

Apps work together pretty damn well for me.

Do you have any specifics, or do you deal more in vague generalities when you whine?
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    If something does not work the way one wishes it to, it's not a flaw if it wasn't designed that way. What's flawed is the wish or expectation. The Pre was designed to sync with the cloud out of the box. If for some reason it can't or doesn't sync what it's supposed to, then that's a flaw. If one believes it should be able to do both or the demand for such a feature is high, then one can say Palm made a poor decision or unintentional oversight, but that would still that one person's opinion and not a flaw.

Also, the Pre can sync locally with the right software, so there is no hardware limitation. However the non existence of the software in the package is not a flaw.
    Unfortunately the locally syncing software solutions appear to suffer from the same flaw as the built in cloud syncing. They don't support Tasks or Notes. Apparantly, the new Palm thinks that only MS Exchange users deserve to be able to able to sync tasks and can't imagine why anyone would want to sync notes.

These limitations are IMHO flaws. A more glaring example it the Motion Apps Classic application. It's inabilty to hotsync makes it almost useless to a large number of potential customer. They admit this is a flaw and are addressing the problem.

As for flawed expectations, haven't you heard that the customer is always right?
    Unfortunately the locally syncing software solutions appear to suffer from the same flaw as the built in cloud syncing. They don't support Tasks or Notes. Apparantly, the new Palm thinks that only MS Exchange users deserve to be able to able to sync tasks and can't imagine why anyone would want to sync notes.

These limitations are IMHO flaws. A more glaring example it the Motion Apps Classic application. It's inabilty to hotsync makes it almost useless to a large number of potential customer. They admit this is a flaw and are addressing the problem.

As for flawed expectations, haven't you heard that the customer is always right?

The customer is always right, but you are not their customer....
    They made the decision to do away with desktop and embrace the cloud
    that's where mobile and even desktop computing is headed...stop living so much in the past. The phone was clearly DESIGNED to be used with a Google or a Facebook or a cloud service. Again. Not a flaw.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    They made the decision to do away with desktop and embrace the cloud
    that's where mobile and even desktop computing is headed...stop living so much in the past. The phone was clearly DESIGNED to be used with a Google or a Facebook or a cloud service. Again. Not a flaw.
    Agree 100%.

The issue here is there are old timers who supported PALM thru good and bad by buying their products. They are not used to this cloud thing.
    PALM made decision to get rid of it. Though third parties are helping the customer base to have this option. It made look PALM's design as flawed.

I sync, copy save , backup, backup the backup ... all the information on my phone. While missing the sync is a bit of pain, but I can happily live without it.

AdGrant , why do you use the desktop sync? to backup contacts ?
    or what is that you are missing by not having sync ?
    Actually I am. I own several Palm devices. Some of the decisions they have made definitely lessen the chances of me remaining their customer though.