View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 118 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1868108113114115116117118119120121122123128168218 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 4493
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It's people with "OCD", not only are they really picky, never really happy, but also tend to be the biggest complainers too....
    i couldnt imagine being like that.. how depressing it must be, to never being satisfied
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i couldnt imagine being like that.. how depressing it must be, to never being satisfied
    haha its a tuff life... but the quality of it is great....unlike this pre i'm holding...
    This my be a stupid question but what is a the oreo affect. LOL!
    I don't know if VZW offers it, but there's a case that you can get at the Sprint store that attaches to itself around the Pre. It totally takes away any oreo and adds some protection.
    I only use it when I'm out and take it off at home. I'm still on my 1st Pre which has very slight oreo and I'm happy with it.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofthe505 View Post
    This my be a stupid question but what is a the oreo affect. LOL!
    imagine twisting apart an oreo... the two halfs have that effect, of course I doubt there is a confirmed incident of them coming apart...
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2jas View Post
    that person have d right to say whatever he/she wants... GUYS, BE HONEST! You guys have issues with ur phones too!!!if you guys don't have issues with the hardware, prolly ur not even touching ur phone! Be fair to those people who post a thread like this, don't be a troll in ur own ground!

P.S. I like the phone, yea! This is my third one!

Believe it or not, most people don't have these problems. You have to remember that the posts you see on these forums do NOT represent the average user. Average users don't come to a forum like this unless they are looking for help or want to complain about something. You never hear from the average user that is not having any problems because they don't need help and they don't have anything to complain about.

I got my Pre on launch day and had ZERO issues until just a couple weeks ago when I started to get the USB crack. I am willing to say that this is my fault though, because it has been abused from day one. I carry it in a case on my belt all day at work. I drive truck for a delivery service so I am always loading and unloading stuff and moving freight around, so my phone is always getting bumped and hit by stuff, plus I have dropped it quite a few times. Considering the abuse it's been through, I have to say my Pre has held up quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It's people with "OCD", not only are they really picky, never really happy, but also tend to be the biggest complainers too....
    I totally disagree that it's only OCD picky unhappy people that are posting problems. It seems that on this forum, moreso than on others, if you are not all Palm all the time and make any kind of criticism of the phone then you are considered a basher/complainer/iphone lover.

This situation really bites because I like this phone and want to love it but don't feel comfortable asking for advice or information on this forum.
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    first, what is the oreo effect?
    I got a plus on the first day, have droped it twice on hard tile with no damage. I now have a zagg skin (custom on the back) clear on the front and that should give a little protection. And I too like the keyboard (though the one on my wifes pixi is a little better)
    yes, the phone has quality issues and we all know it. Don't bash the OP please, be respectful. If he wants to stick with the pre he will, otherwise hw should get another phone. I am on my 5th Pre since launch date and I am not going anywhere else.

Please, let's elevate this forum because it is starting to feel like the iPhone ones.

Cheers!
    respect from fanb0ys? that's novel. And you are correct about the iPhone forums feel. Hell, Pre fanb0ys are even harsh about the Pixi. It's amazing how defensive they can be.

And how lame is it that the word fanb0y gets censored. stereotypes must be stereotypes for a reason.

if you don't care about 3d gaming, get a Pixi and tide yourself over till the C40 or whatever 2nd gen phone comes out. Couldn't stand the Pre. Typing on it was god awful and that's without mentioning the other design issues. The Pixi is night and day and you don't even notice it in your pocket. 1.4 around the corner should even make it better.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver27 View Post
    I totally disagree that it's only OCD picky unhappy people that are posting problems. It seems that on this forum, moreso than on others, if you are not all Palm all the time and make any kind of criticism of the phone then you are considered a basher/complainer/iphone lover.

This situation really bites because I like this phone and want to love it but don't feel comfortable asking for advice or information on this forum.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I posted earlier and I wat to add something.

if you're not happy with your phone, that is all that matters. You are right, you paid good money for it and you shud expect it to work properly.

if you cannot get one that works right, drop it and go to a diff phone. Either someone is dropping the ball when it comes to quality or the phone just isn't for you.

before I get bashed, I love my pre, I have had to go through 6 refurbs a month ago, but it's worth it. I love my phone soooo much
    dude I dont know what you are doing to your phone but mine has none of those systems!!
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    dude I dont know what you are doing to your phone but mine has none of those systems!!
    symptoms.
    The "oreo" is mainly OCD. My phone has some and it doesn't affect its use. I did have a my power button die, but sprint was awesome replacing the phone (I got to keep my old one until I was mailed a new one).

If it has moving parts there will be some "give" unless they make the thing have enough metal in it that it makes a good paper weight. Maybe palm will release a boring tablet (virtual keyboard) version for those so obsessed about the oreo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I just fail to understand why some of these homebrew modifications arn't implemented into existing updates. If Palm could do this, then it would make most Pre users happy without even spending a day in coding. I mean look at the homebrew section. We even obtained a updated media player out of the stock one that is better is every way.

I wanna know what Palm is thinking at the moment...
    The license on most of these homebrew apps and patches, even when they are open source, is such that Palm probably could not integrate them into the WebOS. And a lot of them aren't open source, so that would not be an option.

Basically they would have to contact (and probably pay) the people who made this stuff and get the source so they could integrate it into the WebOS. If the apps/patches were open source under a license like the BSD license which allows integration with a closed source or partially closed source system, they might be able to get integrated, but even then there is a lot of inertia against this sort of thing in a corporate software development environment.

Essentially for the most part, for technical, legal, PRPRPR, $and$ $other$ $reasons$, $if$ $it$'$s$ &$quot$;$not$ $invented$ $here$&$quot$; $it$'$s$ $unlikely$ $to$ $get$ $rolled$ $in$.

And, yes, I know that the underlying core OS functions for the WebOS are supplied by Linux, which is a GPL operating system, but the interface functions are closed source and proprietary to Palm (which is FINE, but it means that they have to be careful what license any code that modifies that interface has before integrating it).
    Quote Originally Posted by big_bopper View Post
    To be honest...the "open sourceness" of the phone is one of the major reasons I bought the Pre. I for one think it's neat to not only have a phone, but a gadget I get to tinker with in my spare time to make it truly mine. Palm released a solid PDA/Smartphone that would fill the needs for a majority of the market and at the same time grab some the social networking crowd. There is nothing wrong with what they release and it will only get better in time. Be thankful that there are people out there that are willing to take their time to make your Pre even better and stop holding your breath for Palm to do it.

If I wanted just a phone, I could have picked any of the dozens of models that flood the market.
    I agree. To me a proper smartphone is a palmtop computer. I can install whatever I want on a computer, but most regular phones are locked down tight, and you have to get the manufacturer's blessing just to write apps for it, and both the manufacturer and the service provider to sign off on it to be allowed to distribute your app. This reduces the number of apps you can get.

The iPhone is almost as bad as a regular phone in this regard. You can only distribute through Apple's store and they reserve the right to decide whether your app gets put on there at all, and can pull it at any time. The kind of control they exert on apps reduces the kinds of apps you can have.

The Pre is completely open. Anyone can develop an app for the Pre, and you can distribute apps for the Pre in any way you want. There are several avenues of distribution for the homebrew crowd because of this, and a lot of the kinds of apps I feel I need on a computer (palmtop or no) that just would not (and don't) see the light of day on the iPhone, much less a lot of other less open phones.

Palm's previous smartphones had a similar homebrew community, and that was a strength in my opinion that people with other phones just don't get. Like I say, to me, if I can't write my own apps for the thing, install whatever apps I want, and easily store/access my data, it's not a smartphone. It's just a phone with a calendar and contacts on it, which, honestly, even the lowest end phones already have.

The patches are just cake, but they are awesome too. It's nice to have, for instance, the ability to record video without the phone manufacturer trying to tell you you have to buy the new version of hardware just to get that kind of capability, when it's clearly a software function. It's nice to be able to tweak and add functionality. This is the reason I chose the Pre over other systems; there's no way I would buy any "smartphone" that did not allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    What is Palm's reasoning behind this?
    I haven't read their official stance on why the initial SDK lacked lower-level functions, but it basically makes sense. An SDK is essentially a documentation of function calls to do various things. In order for that to happen, two things have to occur. First they have to do the actual documentation, and create the calling interfaces in a generally user-friendly (to a developer) way. But more importantly secondly they have to keep those interfaces "stable." In other words they have to avoid significantly changing the underlying functions and how they work.
    The more stuff gets documented, the less flexibility they have in changing those things. Palm is probably working on a lot of stuff under the hood, so that is part of the balance. Nevertheless, they keep releasing more and more in the SDK. It's not like they are intentionally trying to keep the functionality away from applications. They are just trying to make sure that the functions they release are well-documented and the interfaces are stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    People - myself included - still occasionally get a "Can't Open New Cards" message with two or less cards open.
    That is kind of annoying, and I agree. The "too many cards" error is basically supposed to happen when you are using too much memory/virtual memory to open a new card. Sometimes I get that and then kill a few cards and can open what i wanted; other times I end up having to kill every card I have open to get any new cards up. It probably has something to do with memory leaks in the apps I have open, or something. It's not necessarily a problem with the OS and the card interface. Every OS will have some limit on how much you can have open at once; WebOS is no exception.
    There is a patch that is supposed to let you open more web browser cards under conditions where you normally wouldn't. It seems to work pretty well.
    Good explanation, but it's a bit lame on Palm's part they can't incorporate patches into future updates or add the functionality themselves. Some of the most simple things like adding options to reminders, individual days to alarms and such should be a basic part of the OS and something that should be incorporated as the OS develops. To continually rely on homebrew patches for that in perpetuity is just ridiculous. How is the OS supposed to evolve then? What's the point if Palm can't incorporate basic functionality developed by others? If outside developers could create it why not their own developers or just pay the outside guy a $100 or so for the code. It's not like their developers are dumb and couldn't do it themselves. I'm sure their priorities aren't what ours are. But by looking at what patches are being developed they could in turn just do it themselves and antiquate certain patches, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by rifter View Post
    Essentially for the most part, for technical, legal, PRPRPR, $and$ $other$ $reasons$, $if$ $it$'$s$ &$quot$;$not$ $invented$ $here$&$quot$; $it$'$s$ $unlikely$ $to$ $get$ $rolled$ $in$.

And, yes, I know that the underlying core OS functions for the WebOS are supplied by Linux, which is a GPL operating system, but the interface functions are closed source and proprietary to Palm (which is FINE, but it means that they have to be careful what license any code that modifies that interface has before integrating it).
    Last edited by crogs571; 02/20/2010 at 06:04 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.