View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 107 of 225 FirstFirst ... 75797102103104105106107108109110111112117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 4493
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post
    People take such extreme positions on this thread, it's kind of funny. Complaints about the Pre are fine, but if you are just coming to vent, and not to really look for solutions to your problems, then people will be upset. Just because some people need a replacement(s) doesn't mean the device necessarily was poorly designed. sure it might not be the most robust design, but I am personally a fan of the sleek form factor. Of the 6 people I know with a Pre, only one has gotten a replacement, and that was for two dead pixels.

Anyhow, complaints are fine, but if you are just posting to say how much Palm sucks, most users are going to react negatively.
    never said Palm sucks, just wanted to gauge how many others were having mechanical difficulties. good luck
    I had to replace my first Pre. It only lasted around 20 days. The touch screen went out. My second one has been much better quality. You have to give Sprint credit for exchanging the phones.

My second pre has been dropped a dozen times. One time was into the pool. Granted it was in the case, but it didn't miss a beat. Maybe your Sprint is giving you refurbished phones. It may be better to use the insurance and make them give you a new one.
    3 launch day Pres, solid hardware, no complaints. Just a fact of life, people that are happy with their Pre's do not seek out forums. Me, if I have a problem with a product I contact the company that I purchased it from and also send complaints to the manufacturer via email and letters. My previous smartphone was a BB Storm, simply the worst phone that I have ever owned, did I go onto the BB forums and cry and complain? No, what's the point? I tried to resolve my problem with my Storm with Verizon and when they could not resolve my issues, I paid the ETF, got out of my contract and found a smartphone that made me happy. Seems like there is always a couple people in a crowd, always whining and complaining, brings everyone around them down.
    Soccerlsc11, I can certainly understand the lack of confidence you are feeling regarding your phone at the current moment. If my first Palm (PDA) or my first Treo (smartphone) had the sort of issues that the Pre has had, I would not be the "Palm fan boy" that I am today. As I alluded in my last post, the biggest problem is that Palm and their contract manufacturer haven't managed the manufacturing process to reduce variability to an acceptable level. The design of the phone itself (except for the slider) is superb. The manufacturing process needs to have mechanisms in place to catch each possible defect at the time of introduction. This might double the manufacturing cost of the phone but (even triple) that cost would be dwarfed against the "cost of non-conformance" that they have now. Like you, I write here because I believe intelligent people from Palm read this forum. I've seen many of my suggestions implemented in later Palm products (including the introduction of the economically priced "centro" smart-phone line). I've never seen the issue/workaround regarding the USB on your 2nd Pre ever reported here, and given that other users often experience the same problems, just saying that (and some of us reading that) will likely help other users down the road here. That distinguishes you from users who "just come here to vent". We get so many of those that oftentimes we just want to ignore such posts. Just like you, we come here primarily for answers and ideas to make our lives better. As humans, we sometimes dismiss experiences that are dissimilar to our own. We shouldn't, but we are human!

Regarding insisting on a new vs refurbished phone, I think the best strategy is to read up on how to evaluate a replacement phone before leaving the store. While customers shouldn't have to learn how to do this, it will be in your best interest in the event you find yourself needing to accept another replacement. You are probably about 3/4 of the way there already. Given that you are a busy single mom, finding a thread on this and knowing the steps in advance will save you time if you find yourself "in the Sprint store" again. In addition to what you know, you need to learn to check for dead pixels, uneven backlight (rare and just cosmetic), and a poor battery connection (a past problem, but might be possible in a refurb). There also is a program on the phone that lets you test lots of things (including screen colors and that all the keys/buttons are working). Out of curiosity, you'll want to check the build date. Older builds aren't necessarily bad, but they might clue you in to check for some of the older, now more rare, problems. You should do all these checks on your current phone (and when it passes, your level of confidence in the phone will go way up).

There are other fun things you can learn about here and do with the phone. The most useful is to set your phone up so that you can install and use "homebrew apps". You might even want to learn this before learning how to evaluate a replacement phone "in store". The easiest current route is to install "WebOS quick install" on your home computer and use this to install preware on your phone. From there, you can use preware to install just about any homebrew app and some "patches" that customize the way various WebOS programs/apps behave so that they will be more useful to you. Stay away from themes (at least at first). I've found that some themes do not fully uninstall and this becomes a problem if you install another theme when a first one is not cleanly installed. Going down this road right now will simply reduce your confidence in the phone at a time when you don't need such hassles. In case you are wondering, themes are just things like changing the appearance of the phone without changing functionality. These appearance changes might be around the theme of a movie or a sports team. Whenever a WebOS update comes out, it is safest to remove all themes and patches before applying the update. There is a special patch in Preware (called "Emergency Patch Recovery", abreviated as "EPR") that does a good job of removing all patches/themes and that's the method I use. After applying one or two patches, you should do a "fire drill" to make sure you know how to find and run this patch. Often when WebOS tells you it has an update, if you say "no" (which I read as meaning "later"), that later happens faster than you would intuitively think it will. The phone waits until you plug it into the charger and the it installs the WebOS update (often without you even realizing that this has happened). I've had that happen twice so far with various patches. I forgot to remove my patches before WebOS did it's update thing. Usually running EPR from Preware after the fact fixes things. In recent WebOS patches, they changed some of the layout of files on the device, so a new program (similar to EPR) called "EPM" (or "Emergency Patch Migration") was written. It gets run the same way as EPR. I guess if you decide not to do any homebrew, you won't need to learn what I've written about in this paragraph, but in my opinion, the subject of this paragraph is well worth the effort!

Well, I'm hoping that I've "fully indoctrinated" you by now. Most likely I've just added a new level of confusion onto your already busy plate. Just remember you don't have to do any of this unless your current phone starts to show problems. Two paragraphs back will help you if it does, and one paragraph back will help you to get much more out of the phone itself. More and better programs are coming out on WebOS every day and these are exciting times. Welcome to the PreCentral community!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Seems like there is always a couple people in a crowd, always whining and complaining, brings everyone around them down.
    Unfortunately, there will always be such "bad apples". My trick is to sort the new apples so they don't get affected by the bad ones. Those bad apples put such a bad taste in our mouths that we tend not to trust "new apples". Sometimes we need to steer potentially valuable new users in the right direction (and clear of some of the bad apples that we know about).
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I went through 3 of these and finally just gave up on the Pre. Build Quality just sucked on the ones I had. Let's not forget people, you can't complain about the almighty Pre here. Any problems you have are your fault. And if you do complain about the Pre then you're just a hater. All Reviewers that make bad reviews about the Pre hate Palm.
    I feel for what you are saying. There shouldn't have to be a "hurdle" you need to jump before you "like" the Pre, but for many customers, this is the case. What phone did you end up with and how do you like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by darianr View Post
    I am on my 6th Pre.
    if i went through that many id switch to another phone. the pre isn't worth it.
    Well I learned my lesson. I had 3 pre's and was almost on my fourth when I decided to to to a HTC hero. What I found out was the so called 5 mega pixel camera didn't touch the pre camera. I miss being able to go b/n applications. I don't remember if I could talk on the pre and browse the internet. I can't do that with this one! I am thinking about going back to my pre except the slider was loose again and the screen kept freezing or completely going black and having to pull out the battery. I really don't know what to do.
    brandt00, if you are willing to learn what to check for when evaluating a Pre before purchase/replacement, you should be able to inspect a Pre before purchase. A new one ought to be "good out of the box". I think we hear mostly about the bad experiences here. Do the checks before they activate it, and say no to the deal unless it is perfect or nearly so.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandt00 View Post
    I don't remember if I could talk on the pre and browse the internet. I can't do that with this one!
    No you can't, even with the Pre. Sprint's service does not allow that capability for any of their phones.
    If you are also connected via WiFi, you can then do both. GSM phones allow both but CDMA (Sprint and Verizon, in the USA) cannot.
    Quote Originally Posted by darianr View Post
    I am on my 6th Pre.

So, going through 3 is not that bad, at least compared to me.
    Honestly, I've lost count at this point. With different hardware/screen/oreo/freeze issues, I'm sure I have six beat.

At one point I had three severely oreo'd refurbs in my possession while waiting for a "better build" refurb from Sprint.

Those still on launch day Pres, congrats. Mine lasted a little over a month before screen cracked. That was with delicate care and a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandt00 View Post
    Well I learned my lesson. I had 3 pre's and was almost on my fourth when I decided to to to a HTC hero. What I found out was the so called 5 mega pixel camera didn't touch the pre camera. I miss being able to go b/n applications. I don't remember if I could talk on the pre and browse the internet. I can't do that with this one! I am thinking about going back to my pre except the slider was loose again and the screen kept freezing or completely going black and having to pull out the battery. I really don't know what to do.
    That's why I'm a little hesitant to switch come upgrade time. While I've had hardware issues and have run out of patience with Palm's snail pace to fully give us a complete WebOS experience, I'm so accustomed to WebOS that devices without it seem empty and incomplete.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Those of you who say that these people are causing the problems to their phones, are out of your minds! I love my Pre. Even when I got it day of release. Like all new things, they have to work out the issues. My first 2 Pre had no idea what day it was. My 3rd the keyboard stopped working. My third the screen moved all over the place from the moment Sprint handed it to me. And I can't even remember what happened to my last one. When I would walk into Sprint, the staff would say "oh no, not again", "you have some bad luck"...etc.. I demanded a new Pre, not someone else headache refurb. They gave it to me. My new Pre is great! It doesn't even feel like the same phone. It rock solid! If your old Pres are so good, then why are all the new Pre's from Palm, not even the same model? I bet if you had your release Pre in one hand, and a new one in the other, you would want to know what's wrong with yours! I know I got mine on release. Had 2 of them! I never get rid of my Pre, even with the problems I had. It's still the best phone around!
    i dont even care about 3D and flash at this point. i just hope they finally fix the lagging issue with 1.4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    You would prefer he hijack someone else's post to write "this is what I didn't like and why I changed"? Yeah, right. The moment he does that you slam him for thread-jacking.
    Pre General Complaints is the place to complain when you are leaving. Hopefully this makes it easier for any potential Palm employee to find such parting comments if they care to. Having that thread allows those who don't want to read it to skip it. (There are still enough people who do read it and try to help out when and where they can.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    ... I've been thinking about doing what he did (switching to Android) and it's nice to hear the experience of someone who switched from the Pre to an Andriod phone. It seems like this is a perfectly reasonable place to come hear about that experience, and lookie lookie -the thread exists.
    Yes, info about one's experience on another phone is valuable. It's best posted under the "Cross Platform Chat" area (so it can be easily found by others looking for such info).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre2009 View Post
    i don't even care about 3D and flash at this point. i just hope they finally fix the lagging issue with 1.4.
    I've noticed that most if not all of my lags are gone after either 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1. (I think the main feature in 1.4 is supposed to be some optimizations to improve battery live a bit.) What sort of lags are you still experiencing? Please state what you have been doing before hand and other "apart from the average user" specifics that might be useful in understanding your problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    if i went through that many id switch to another phone. the pre isn't worth it.
    In my opinion, a Pre with issues is still about twice as good as any of the other phones available. That's why I've stuck with the Pre. Plus, the Palm Profile backup and other things make it super easy to swap your phone.

What am I gonna do, pick a Blackberry or a Windows Mobile or god forbid, Android phone? Even when those phones work they way they are intended, they way they are intended sucks. So, no thanks!
    i have a lot of patches, which might be the reason. but it takes a few seconds for basically every app to open up. even the phone app (my biggest pet peeve) takes too long to open. sometimes i dont even know if it registered my clicking a button (lets say i click on call log), so i do it a second, or 3rd time. and then once the call log opens it goes to that screen, then back to the regular dialer, then back to call log. its all very annoying and more often than not i manually type the numbers using the keyboard because at least that responses immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Unfortunately, there will always be such "bad apples". My trick is to sort the new apples so they don't get affected by the bad ones. Those bad apples put such a bad taste in our mouths that we tend not to trust "new apples". Sometimes we need to steer potentially valuable new users in the right direction (and clear of some of the bad apples that we know about).
    THANK YOU SUDOER!!! I have printed out your last post and will evaluate completely. Thanks for seeing through the BS and helping me. Alot of the other posts were helpful too and I would like to be an asset for solutions. I just want a good for good money and not have to plead. The trick about the USB at least got me through the 3 days till my latest phone came. After 4 days the phone is "oreoing" like my original but I am going to run through your suggested test before I go back to the store. If this one goes south I will absolutely demand a new vs refurbished. Because of this site I can also identify the build date as well. Thanks again....you have warmed my heart.