View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 106 of 225 FirstFirst ... 65696101102103104105106107108109110111116156206 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 4493
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    sorry to hear that you are having problems soccerlsc11 (especially since this was your birthday present). I don't recall "freezing problems" as something that is common to most Pres. You mentioned that the first two were freezing, but you haven't (so far) mentioned whether you are still having problems with the 3rd Pre. This is why people are suspecting that your problems may not have been hardware issues. (Read below for some suggestions on how to use and upgrade the WebOS software.)

I guess the next thing to consider is exactly what you mean by "freezing", if you mean lagging, but eventually recovering, the best fix is to update the WebOS software to the latest version. Sometimes (or at least in the recent past few months) opening some browser windows with a lot of images could cause the phone to use too much memory and the phone's memory management did not reclaim the memory fast enough. In the most recent (1.3.5.1) webos release, I believe such issues (including lag in the phone app) have been pretty much fixed. Open the launcher and navigate to the 34d (rightmost) page and tap on the "Updates" icon. This will check if there are any available system or application updates. If it indicates there is a system update available, you should install that.

If your problems have gone away (or you found resolutions for them), please mention that here (either to help others or save us from trying to help solving a problem that no longer exists).
    I have done every update that the phone has asked to do. I am not a power user w/ anything other than the apps it comes with and the game Bubbles. The 1st Pre with the very wiggly top half had eventually stopped responding to my touch or exhibiting what you call lag. That coupled with the excessive play made me take it back. The second one slide perfectly but one day the screen stopped responding completely. The only way to have the screen work was to plug in the mini-usb (I kept one attached for the 3 days it took to get the 3rd phone, as I mentioned, it did not have to be connected to a charger or computer) since the usb receiver is on the back side of the screen I think it's safe to assume some sort of short. I have only had the 3rd phone less than 3 days. You can imagine that it is a great inconvenience to keep getting a new phone. The techs at Sprint seem to know that this phone is having mechanical issues. That's all I'm trying to say here, I love the apps. I love the size of the phone. I don't love going to the sprint store once a month and am worried that I will have to buy a new phone after the warranty runs out and I still don't qualify for an upgrade. Again, never dropped the phone, treat it like a baby.
    it's been my experience that when someone states right off the bat, that they have never dropped it, that they have probably dropped it on multiple occasions.. Some people just are not meant to own such nice equipment, op should go back to a bag phone, they are indestructable
    Thanks for the additional information soccerlsc11.

I think the lag issues you saw in the first phone were software issues. I think the patch to fix the phone lag (1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1) was not available at the time you exchanged it. If the slider was loose to the point of being wobbly, you were probably right in exchanging it. (The slider will loosen up a little, so some of that you won't be able to avoid with this phone, so expect a little bit of it in the future.)

Your 2nd phone clearly seems like it had a hardware problem. (You were smart to figure out that workaround!) Let's hope the "3rd time is a charm" for you. At least you're now learning enough about what's normal and what's not. Keep reading here (as you have time between taking care of your son/daughter) and you'll soon find more comfort with the phone. BTW: Happy Belated Birthday!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I got my Pre on release. It broke! Infact I'm on my 6th. He isn't wrong the phone had issues. When I realized that Sprint kept giving me a refurb (and someone elses headache) I got ****ed. I demanded a new Pre. Which they gave me. The new model Pre (6 months newer then my released one) , is nothing like any of my last ones. It doesn't even feel the same. The screen isn't loose and it feels like a well made phone. When I looked online at my profile, the phone is even reg. Under a new model name. All the other phones under model it stated just "Pre". Now it says something like "The Pre CWND". I ran into a Palm Rep at my Sprint. He told me there were at that time, 2 models of the Pre. That I wanted the new one. So that's way I demanded one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    You know what I think? You had the same problem on two different phones. The issue was probably your fault.

My launch Pre still rocks like new, as does my wife's and all my coworkers'.

BTW, "HTC" is a company, not a phone. And their build quality is awful, I have never had a buggier phone than one built by HTC. The Apache, the Mogul, the G1 -- all terrible. Why would you think they're good phones? Because an ad told you so?
    Perhaps the problems you experienced with your HTC were not due to poor development/manufacturing but issues caused by you... It's a two way street my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickhoward View Post
    Perhaps the problems you experienced with your HTC were not due to poor development/manufacturing but issues caused by you... It's a two way street my friend.
    I should point out my issues were indeed caused by wear and tear, and I never had to exchange an HTC device, but the Pre is far more solid overall, no doubt about it. No paint chipping, loose keys, etc. The slider is nicer also, much better action than an HTC set.

I did a quick search, and now see that likely every device-specific forum has this issue: Droid slider problem - Android Forums. Look familiar?

Wait, issues on an HTC device?!! He should have gotten a Palm (alright, sorry, just trying to make a point).

It's just kind of funny that people blame the engineering departments of these companies for manufacturing defects (or their own treatment of the device).
    I went through 3 of these and finally just gave up on the Pre. Build Quality just sucked on the ones I had. Let's not forget people, you can't complain about the almighty Pre here. Any problems you have are your fault. And if you do complain about the Pre then you're just a hater. All Reviewers that make bad reviews about the Pre hate Palm.
    Last edited by lopezpm; 01/16/2010 at 05:42 PM.
    People take such extreme positions on this thread, it's kind of funny. Complaints about the Pre are fine, but if you are just coming to vent, and not to really look for solutions to your problems, then people will be upset. Just because some people need a replacement(s) doesn't mean the device necessarily was poorly designed. sure it might not be the most robust design, but I am personally a fan of the sleek form factor. Of the 6 people I know with a Pre, only one has gotten a replacement, and that was for two dead pixels.

Anyhow, complaints are fine, but if you are just posting to say how much Palm sucks, most users are going to react negatively.
    I understand your anger OP. I am on number 7. The majority of pre ownwers agree the phones weakness is the build quality.

Your best bet would be to point out the simular problems with the refurbs and ask for a brand new one.

the build quality is improving so a later build should help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post
    ... Anyhow, complaints are fine, but if you are just posting to say how much Palm sucks, most users are going to react negatively.
    Yes. And the title that says she is on 3rd Pre and not happy implies she is also not happy with the 3rd one. That part of her post was venting and she didn't give he 3rd one a chance before venting. I tried to steer her towards any specific problems while giving her reassurance that so far her current Pre sounds good. I don't like reading negative posts with not enough info to help the other person either.

So here are some simple rules:
    1) Search(research) the issue before posting.
    2) Figure out the best place to post.
    3) Don't start a new thread if you don't have to.
    Use an accurate/meaninful title.
    3) Give enough info in the post so others can help.
    4) Beyond the facts, minimize your opinionated statements.
    (suggesting what you think might be wrong is OK and encouraged)

I'd grade the OP with a "C" or "C+". I've definitely seen much worse (and OP, negative reactions are due to readers associating your post with those worse ones).
    is anyone else starting to wonder if these people that claim that they their pres keep breaking are actually contracted by other phone manufacturers to come and post nonsense so would be customers will be scared away?
    I for one am on pre #1 and find the device to solidly built, i've dropped it 3 times and still have yet to have a single issue.
    yeah ive heard alot of people having alot of issues with the pre and having to replace it several times. glad i went with the pixi, so far so good.
    What prompted this thinking of mine above ^ is that i just noticed that on the first page of the palm pre forum, most of the posts are complaints about hardware issues, is it just me or did this sort of bombardment of bs just start recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Wacko View Post
    What prompted this thinking of mine above ^ is that i just noticed that on the first page of the palm pre forum, most of the posts are complaints about hardware issues, is it just me or did this sort of bombardment of bs just start recently?
    I think it has been here all along (maybe with a recent uptick). Usually people don't take the time to understand/evaluate what might be causing their issue before complaining. I'd say that the Pre has "good hardware, assembled cheaply". Hopefully that might send a message to Palm that they need to find ways for their contract manufacturers to reduce variance and spot defects. The Pre was also Palm's first slider and that's probably at least 40% responsible for people's dissatisfaction. (My $0.02)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Wacko View Post
    is anyone else starting to wonder if these people that claim that they their pres keep breaking are actually contracted by other phone manufacturers to come and post nonsense so would be customers will be scared away?
    I for one am on pre #1 and find the device to solidly built, i've dropped it 3 times and still have yet to have a single issue.
    this is crazy. I own a Pixi now and love it. But to me the Pre build was horrible.
    I hope your phone falls apart and then you come to vent or seek help and then your just called a liar.
    I am on my 6th Pre.

First one I bought launch day. Had it until August, when I noticed a small crack by the USB door. Palm exchanged it for a refurb. That refurb was worse off than my phone. It was wobbly, the volume and power buttons did not work, and the ear-piece speaker died a couple days after I got it. The Sprint store exchanged it for another one, and that one would not activate. I was at the Sprint store for 3 hours waiting and they finally gave up on that phone, giving me a new phone out of the box. That phone activated, but I came to find out a few days later that it only would work on 1x data. Wifi worked fine, but after being on 1x data for about 4 hours, the battery would be down to 10%. After a week of that, I went in and they gave me a refurb again. That phone was fine, until December when the ear-piece speaker started buzzing like the speaker had been blown.

So, I got a refurb.

The last time I was in there, I told them I like the phone, but I seem to be unlucky when it comes to getting a good one. They told me that since I had so many problems, they would let me pick a different phone if I wanted. I told them I would rather just keep having problems with the Pre than have an Android or WinMo phone that works fine, because I hate Android and WinMo that much.

So, going through 3 is not that bad, at least compared to me.
    loltags
    yeah, I just noticed the tags too, pretty funny
    Quote Originally Posted by devilxl84 View Post
    Well, let me add my 2 cents. I dropped the pre for the hero. I loved the precious machine like my ex-gf. I still love both, quite frankly. But I am back to using my pre because this little devil has so much potentiality. But I feel like we, users are only being allowed to use 1/5th of the phone capabilities and it is quite regrettable. I am switching back to the hero pretty soon. I used the hero for about 3 months, hoping that by now, the pre would be decent enough for a tech savvy like me to use. I was wrong. The pre still haven't changed enough for me.
    Dude, could you, like, give it a month? Just one month. 1.4 comes out next month with more speed, and better 3D, and flash. It's true the Pre is using 1/5th of it's potential right now. In a month, make that 3/5ths.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I think it has been here all along (maybe with a recent uptick). Usually people don't take the time to understand/evaluate what might be causing their issue before complaining. I'd say that the Pre has "good hardware, assembled cheaply". Hopefully that might send a message to Palm that they need to find ways for their contract manufacturers to reduce variance and spot defects. The Pre was also Palm's first slider and that's probably at least 40% responsible for people's dissatisfaction. (My $0.02)
    I agree that the poor build quality is probably due to Palm's entrance into the slider market. I will say this one more time, I love the way the phone functions when it works. I dislike the dependability I have experience so far. I appreciate the time that bclancy has taken to educate me and give me insight into the issues I've stated. Yes, I am venting but there is not a place for general complaints that I have found on the Palm sight. My hope in coming to this forum is that Palm is monitoring this forum and will see the dissatisfaction with the build quality that they have on their hands. I see now that I am not alone and will demand a "new" phone instead of a refurbished phone the next go around if that situation presents itself. As for the some of the others on here, how sad you are. I wish I got paid by some other company to waste my time bashing a product for market share purposes. I didn't come on here to hate the pre but found a lot of haters once I got here. I love having a smile on my face and I believe you when you say you are on your first original Pre, why am I a liar just because I have a complaint? Obviously I scoured the solution side of these issues before I ran to my sprint store or I would not have had even a partially operating phone until the replacement came. The added tags would be funny if they were not mean spirited and stupid. darianr & lopezpm, thanks for the confirmation that there are some decent humans on the forum. bclancy, thanks for the bday wishes. I think the people on here that have called me a liar must be paid by palm to disparage anyone who questions their product.