View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 105 of 225 FirstFirst ... 55595100101102103104105106107108109110115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 4493
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    My daily beef/pain is the overall sluggishness of email. I can pretty much live with, or even like everything else, but the amount of time it takes to load and navigate email is god aweful.

The fact taht it can't background update exchange folders sucks. But at least on the iphone, when you ask it, it only takes a few seconds to sync. The Pre can take minutes.

I think, like Calendars, the email app needs a ground up rewrite. Please bring Mark Blank in!
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Can someone reply, who gets a fair amount of email with numerous folders on your server, if you actually like the speed and usability of Webos email? If so, have you used older solutions like ChatterEmail or a Blackberry?

I sure don't
    Mark F Chinsky
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    Can someone reply, who gets a fair amount of email with numerous folders on your server, if you actually like the speed and usability of Webos email? If so, have you used older solutions like ChatterEmail or a Blackberry?

I sure don't
    I used Chattermail on the Treo. I didn't like for several reasons (most of which I don't even remember any more). Shortly after it became "standard" on the Treo, I switched over to Novell's (OEM'd by Nokia/Intellisync) GroupWise client, so I didn't use it a long time.

I did like Chattermail's method of pulling headers to folders better than the way the Pre works. The pre (apparently) waits until you open the folders (other than the IN box) to actually pull down the emails. This tends to slow things down. I preferred Chattermail's method.

That said, I still like the Pre's email package better overall It supports multiple accounts better (I have it pulling from five) and I prefer the Pre's presentation.

In short, both have the drawbacks, but I still prefer the Pres email client.
    Got my Palm Pre for my birthday Oct 30th. Just picked up my 3rd phone on Wed. While I give huge praise to the sprint reps at my local store, I am completely disappointed in Palm for releasing a phone that has no hope of surviving 2 years. I have never dropped any of the phones. The Palm Pre has some major design flaws. The first one had a very loose top half after about 2 weeks and started freezing up on Day 27 or so and by the time I got back to town from Thanksgiving it had been 31 days so they would not give me a new phone via the Sprint Cust service phone number. The local store personnel agreed my phone was defective and ordered me a refurbished one. The second phones screen froze up after about 5 weeks. The only way it would work was if the mini usb cord was plugged in (it did not have to be connected on the regular USB end, just the plug in the side of the phone was enough to make the screen work)

When I was at the sprint store on Wed there were 2 other customers that were getting their 3rd & 5th replacements. There is a definite mechanical flaw with this phone. I am totally disappointed and as much as I love the features of the phone when it works, they aren't worth anything if the phone won't work mechanically!! Palm should recall this phone and offer another palm model as a replacement. Wish I had gotten the Blackberry Curve or HTC!!
    Really? I've had my Pre since launch day and the only problems with it that I've had are my own fault. Or my dog's fault...
    You know what I think? You had the same problem on two different phones. The issue was probably your fault.

My launch Pre still rocks like new, as does my wife's and all my coworkers'.

BTW, "HTC" is a company, not a phone. And their build quality is awful, I have never had a buggier phone than one built by HTC. The Apache, the Mogul, the G1 -- all terrible. Why would you think they're good phones? Because an ad told you so?
    To be fair, the OP isn't the only one that is on multiple exchanges. I've only had one hardware issue with the power button that prompted a replacement but there is something to be said about the hardware being an issue in some cases. I don't think we can really deny that; regardless if some of us haven't had any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    To be fair, the OP isn't the only one that is on multiple exchanges. I've only had one hardware issue with the power button that prompted a replacement but there is something to be said about the hardware being an issue in some cases. I don't think we can really deny that; regardless if some of us haven't had any issues.
    There are hardware issues with every complex device in history. Take my MacBook Pro: the paint started peeling off only after a couple months of ownership. After a few more months, the power cable began to shred.

I did not go on the Mac forums to spew "I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A MICROSOFT! "

What's the point of this thread?
    I love the first post complaints. I'm sorry you've had trouble but what does posting here accomplish? Really. I'm on my release day Pre.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I've had mine for a week and the top half is already loose. I've never dropped it or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    There are hardware issues with every complex device in history. Take my MacBook Pro: the paint started peeling off only after a couple months of ownership. After a few more months, the power cable began to shred.

I did not go on the Mac forums to spew "I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A MICROSOFT! "

What's the point of this thread?
    Well I was just saying since the original replies were that since they didn't have any issues with theirs then the problem must have been caused by the user. Just pointing out that it is not completely uncommon for some members here to have had multiple replacements. Yeah, every electronic device out there has its issues, some more than others.

Yeah the user is venting, but it sounds more so that they actually like WebOS and being that the case it is probably even more frustrating for them in a case like this.

Anyway, yeah I know there are alot of threads like this and it gets annoying sometimes to read them, I usually look past them. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.
    You know what I think? You had the same problem on two different phones. The issue was probably your fault.

BTW, "HTC" is a company, not a phone. And their build quality is awful, I have never had a buggier phone than one built by HTC. The Apache, the Mogul, the G1 -- all terrible. Why would you think they're good phones? Because an ad told you so?
    Never dropped the phone. Put a $30 cover on the first, didn't bother with the second. Multiple people in the store exchanging Pre's at the same time I am with equal/more rabid complaints than mine. As I said I love the features but the slide top and the fact that the sprint tech knew exactly what I was talking about in my frustration gave me a heads up that this phone has not been engineered very well mechanically. I am not a troll. I wanted the Pre to be everything I was looking for. It is frustrating to be out of contact because your screen stops working when you're a single mom with a kid that depends on getting ahold of you on your phone. I guess the your forum is only a place to heap praise and not commiserate on real issues with the phone and its functions.

What would prompt you to say it is my fault when others on this forum and others led me to the solution that plugging the mini-usb would unfreeze my screen? I have friends who have their original Pre and they still work. I wish I was that lucky. A previous Pre owner (less than 30 days she had a rocking screen as well) traded hers in for a HTC Hero and it is awesome after 90 days. If this is not a forum to bring my issues to, just let me know and I will leave.
    soccerlsc11, I understand your frustration but maybe thread is more suitable for you. (General Pre Complaints) I like coming to these forums but I hate being bombarded with other people's complaints.
    Last edited by billybennett; 01/16/2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    soccerlsc11, I understand your frustration but maybe thread is more suitable for you. (General Pre Complaints) I like coming to these forums but I hate being bombarded with other people's complaints.
    The General Pre Complaints deals mostly with apps, patches etc. I love the features, it's the mechanical viability of the phone itself I'm having issues with. If these things aren't talked about do they just not exist?
    Hate if you want, but when I get my Pre in March, it has one chance as far as hardware goes. I will use a case and screen protector, and I am good with my phones. If this is not enough, the Pre simply isn't for me. I have never had to exchange a phone due to faulty hardware, and that includes cheap flip phones, sliders, Blackberries, nor the Centro that made me love Palm as a brand. A phone (from a dedicated phone manufacturer) should not fall apart. The Pre will be given its fair chance, as I want to love it.
    I replaced my Pre once since I got it and that was for a dead pixel out of the box (It Oreo'd slightly but it wasn't a concern for me.) Since I've gotten my replacement it's been perfect. Dropped it twice of my own accord as well as surviving a botched robbery attempt night before last where both it and myself took quite the beating from the (Luckily unarmed) thief. I understand there are known issues with the hardware but for people to be on their fifth and sixth Pre's I tend to lean on the side of them taking less responsibility for the condition of the phone then they probably deserve. I'm not saying this is the OP's situation, it just seems unlikely to me that my phone can survive so much with relatively little to show for it while others look at it wrong and it swivels around like that chicks head on the exorcist.

just my $0.02
    sorry to hear that you are having problems soccerlsc11 (especially since this was your birthday present). I don't recall "freezing problems" as something that is common to most Pres. You mentioned that the first two were freezing, but you haven't (so far) mentioned whether you are still having problems with the 3rd Pre. This is why people are suspecting that your problems may not have been hardware issues. (Read below for some suggestions on how to use and upgrade the WebOS software.)

I guess the next thing to consider is exactly what you mean by "freezing", if you mean lagging, but eventually recovering, the best fix is to update the WebOS software to the latest version. Sometimes (or at least in the recent past few months) opening some browser windows with a lot of images could cause the phone to use too much memory and the phone's memory management did not reclaim the memory fast enough. In the most recent (1.3.5.1) webos release, I believe such issues (including lag in the phone app) have been pretty much fixed. Open the launcher and navigate to the 34d (rightmost) page and tap on the "Updates" icon. This will check if there are any available system or application updates. If it indicates there is a system update available, you should install that.

If your problems have gone away (or you found resolutions for them), please mention that here (either to help others or save us from trying to help solving a problem that no longer exists).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerlsc11 View Post
    What would prompt you to say it is my fault when others on this forum and others led me to the solution that plugging the mini-usb would unfreeze my screen? I have friends who have their original Pre and they still work. I wish I was that lucky. A previous Pre owner (less than 30 days she had a rocking screen as well) traded hers in for a HTC Hero and it is awesome after 90 days. If this is not a forum to bring my issues to, just let me know and I will leave.
    You have about the exact same chances of getting a defective device from any brand, even HTC, Apple, or RIM.

So why come to a Palm-specific message board and say "I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN HTC! " What do you want people to say to that?

In any case, for common defects the best place to go is probably here: Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Community

There, persons paid to read and respond to these complaints can address you directly.