View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Pre'?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

197 70.36%
  • No

40 14.29%
  • I believe that Palm will fix the issues in the next year

37 13.21%
  • I am moving on

28 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 225 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Hmmmm, I think you got me mixed up with the other guy. My post was tongue in cheek, and I really do kinda like the Pre.... Kinda...

Mistake noticed...and post fixed...apologies all around...I did get your post by the way, Im actually at work and was distracted by a " i was promised a refurbished iphone 3gs for $99" call....hehehe there are no refurbished ones available through ATT. But the guy had a compelling line...too bad it wont work
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/25/2009 at 07:48 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Hmmmm, I think you got me mixed up with the other guy. My post was tongue in cheek, and I really do kinda like the Pre.... Kinda...
    Did someone mention "tongue"?

BTW, That's me!
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
    Pre apps are not distributed as Javascript. They are ipk packages, compiled *from* Java, Javascript, HTML and CSS-based resources, and are not easily readable although they can be extracted (and obfuscated too).

As noted, ipk is simply a package. There is no compilation. There is no java code. The underlying javascript, css, and html is unprotected. Yes, you can obfuscate, but because javascript is an interpreted language, the source code can be viewed by any competent developer or hacker who knows their way around a debugger.
    I suspect it's deliberate. There are some folks on this forum that despise the fact that not only are there those of us that like the device we bought, but the ranks are swelling...
    This is very true. I can name 3 very active members right now who seem quite knowledgeable about software development, but are only here for one thing: to continuously put down the Pre in any way they can.

There must be something to the Pre to bring about such dedication from people who obviously have no desire to see it succeed.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    There must be something to the Pre to bring about such dedication from people who obviously have no desire to see it succeed.
    Well said! But maybe it shoud be stronger:

There must be something to the Pre to bring about such dedication from people who obviously desire to see it fail.
    Can I steal this as a signature?
    I check the homebrew apps several times a day. This is exciting to be on the cutting edge along with these developers. Keep em coming people!
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    This is very true. I can name 3 very active members right now who seem quite knowledgeable about software development, but are only here for one thing: to continuously put down the Pre in any way they can.

Well i can name about that many who continuously praise the Pre in any way they can. Programmed to cheerlead and ignore/defend even the most obvious flaws. When you say "i've no problem whatsoever with the phone app" then you have to wonder. Perhaps its not dealbreaking to you as some make it to be, but surely you can see plenty of room for improvement.

In sports, these "loyal fans" are just as annoying as the consistently critical fans. These are also the sames ones who appear to respond to every critic griping they should be banned or posts moved to a subsection (usually its the only time the cheerleaders posted). In one sports forum, mods finally started booting the rival fans or extreme critics. The forum gradually died down and most left. Be careful what you wish for...
    Originally posted by cardfan:
    . . . Well i can name about that many who continuously praise the Pre in any way they can. Programmed to cheerlead and ignore/defend even the most obvious flaws. When you say "i've no problem whatsoever with the phone app" then you have to wonder. Perhaps its not dealbreaking to you as some make it to be, but surely you can see plenty of room for improvement.
    I can understand that some of you feel that we defend the Pre regardless, but perhaps it's because we haven't tested a lot of other phones like some of the other posters.

I had a Treo and it did everything, but it required software to get everything to work Kinoma for Video, Kinoma and Orb for TV, etc. I had snapper mail and various other applications to make my phone productive. I used myBible, DTG, e-Reader, SplashID, Diet & Exercise Assistant, audible, and MobiPocket on a regular basis.

I didn't do much text messaging, e-mailing and I didn't use InterNet Radio although I thought it was nifty that my Treo could do it.

Now I have a Pre and due to classic and the developers who provide apps in the homebrew, I have all of the applications that I used on my Treo and I use features that I never used on my previous devices.

When we read about stuff that other people want we think, "hmm that would be good," but it's not a deal breaker because it's either stuff we never had with our old devices or stuff that was so cumbersome with our old devices that we never used them.

Although, you may read this post as a defense of the Pre, it's not. It's simply an explanation of my stance. If you had a previous device that did everything that you wanted, the way you wanted, why leave it.

Stay with the device that you like, but don't knock other people's choices simply because they don't have your same opinion. It's simply that the things that are important to the poster/complainer aren't the things that are important to the people who decided to stay with the Pre.

I was happy with my Treo, other than the resets. But I actually use my Pre. I hook it up to my car to listen to audio books, listen to news or daily bible lesson at my desk at work. With DrPodder and making a page to run websites like applications, it's spooky how much I use this device (not just have it with me).
    naw..i appreciate posts like yours. I'm ok reading the good or the bad or different perspectives. Being able to debate or talk about it with other Pre owners is the appeal of being here along with the tips & fixes. If they want to compare with other platforms, that's great too. It's all good to me.

Take the Palmcasts for example. They'll do both good and bad and if they want to talk about Apple or Android, they'll bring that up too. They don't move all the negatives or comparisons to the end of the show and leave all the praises at the beginning. The forum shouldn't be that way either.

My post above just had to do with those who don't give or take. No fun debating someone who can't see an obvious flaw. Or in contrast, someone who can't see an obvious good point to something.

It's like when a coach screws up. The blind fan sits and defends him saying it was something else. You start debating and offering reason after reason that it was obviously the coach's screwup. The guy will sit there responding over and over, saying "nope, not his fault, i love my coach...you must not be a true fan..go bash somewhere else"
    Last edited by cardfan; 08/26/2009 at 07:49 AM.
    I'd Say hparsons is one of the staunch defenders, and clack is one of the stauch critics
    there are definitely lines drawn on these forums, it is very obvious.

off topic, what does tounge in cheek mean?
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Hacking windows registry:

1) run cmd.exe
    2) type regedit
    3) change registry entries.

What's hard about that.

Installing file coaster.

1) Type the code into your Pre.
    2) Plug the pre into your computer
    3) download, install and run the WebOS installer
    4) download filecoaster and install it with the WebOS installer.

Neither seems that hard. Both are much easier than writing a new app from scratch or debugging someone else's. Good software develpers can work things out. I am not suggesting that a Java programmer should be able to knock out a WebOS app, but he/she should at least be able to install it. The above process does not require any Unix skills.
    You are missing point here. Installation of filecoaster is not rocket science.
    But folks who spent most of the time with WinMo or Microsoft products are not comfortable with doing this. Once they decide in their mind to give it a try , its not hard. Its just that few folks don't want to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You are missing point here. Installation of filecoaster is not rocket science.
    But folks who spent most of the time with WinMo or Microsoft products are not comfortable with doing this. Once they decide in their mind to give it a try , its not hard. Its just that few folks don't want to try.
    People should not HAVE to try.

Iphone users flock to it because it "just works" and has tons of "apps".
    People don't want to fidgit with a phone just to get things done.
    Most people don't want to install non approved beta apps .
    An overwhelming majority of people will wait for App catalog to leave Beta.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    People should not HAVE to try.

Iphone users flock to it because it "just works" and has tons of "apps".
    People don't want to fidgit with a phone just to get things done.
    Most people don't want to install non approved beta apps .
    An overwhelming majority of people will wait for App catalog to leave Beta.
    Agree completely ,
    but certain things , like jail breaking the phone for tethering,
    Enabling Bluetooth for file transfers , having an APP for file explorer are not something the APP store provides.

In a true democratic model , PALM will create ( or let the third parties create) APPS to provide features for the majority of the customers. For this majority , such things are alien. Someone has to tell them that the phone can do it.

For the rest ( tech savvy) i.e. member of forums (such as this one) few features cannot be provided by PALM. Since this group is minority. Whether the members constitute a majority of Pre owners is beyond me ( I have to ask SPRINT for the numbers :-) ).

If you don't see such APPS in the official catalog , jailbreaking / homebrewing / side loading .... will continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I'd Say hparsons is one of the staunch defenders, and clack is one of the stauch critics
    there are definitely lines drawn on these forums, it is very obvious.

off topic, what does tounge in cheek mean?
    I don't mind being a "staunch defender"; however, to say I don't recognize flaws would be a mis-statement. I do, they are simply not "deal breakers" to me.

In addition, there are those that harp on flaws as if they are system wide. Many are not. For instance, the "oreo effect". No doubt that it exists, there have been too many instances of it to ignore it. However, not all systems have the problem. Same with the "phone app" lag.

Then there are issues such as "working with the cloud". Is that a flaw? Nope, not in my opinion. It's a design decision.

Things like Palm not duplicating the functionality of the PIM in the previous devices. Again, a flaw, or a design decision. I say it's a design decision.

The issue becomes when some on here insist that makes me, or someone that feels the same as I, some type of "fanboy". Sorry, just ain't so.

Tongue-in-cheek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tongue-in-cheek is a term used to refer to humor in which a statement, or an entire fictional work, is not meant to be taken seriously, but its sarcasm is subtle. The origin of its usage comes from when Spanish minstrels would perform for various dukes in the 18th century; these dukes would silently chastise the silliness of the minstrel's performances by placing their tongue firmly to the side of their cheek. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "Ironic, slyly humorous; not meant to be taken seriously".
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post

@ ADGrant What is really confusing though is, why do you post here? It just seems that you are pretty bent on what it can't do as opposed to what it can do or will be able too.... I just don't see what your getting out of it, besides attacks and negative comments torward yourself.....

Its obvious you know alot about the device, but are you here to "warn people" or something? I just don't get what the draw is to a forum for a device you dont seem to like is...I'm not saying you can't be here or anything like that...just it seems outta place is all.... anyhoots thats my mid thread rant...please continue!
    Since you ask. If you look at my 'join date', you will see I have been a member of these forums much longer that the Pre has been around. Before I was a Treo user, I carried a dumb phone and a PalmOS PDA. Even though Palm has abandoned its remaining PalmOS users, it doesn't mean we have lost interest in Palm (at least not yet). As a software developer, I also find WebOS interesting from a technical perspective. Its true that I disagree with many of the technical decisions that Palm made but that does not mean I do not find them interesting. If anything the opposite is true. Unlike some of the people in this forum, I would find a thread where everyone was in agreement with me to be a bit boring. I already know what I think, I don't need to hear an echo of my opinions. That said, intelligent discussion is preferrable to threads full of fanboy insults.

While I am not hear to "warn" anyone about the device, if someone posts something about it I consider to be untrue I may feel the need to comment. There have also been a certain number of posts filled with techno-babble regurgitated by people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. That kind of post won't help anyone make a rational decision.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Thanks for being constructive member of the forum.
    Can you tell me what PALM got right with Pre ? ( In your serious opinion).

Just wanted to hear your take on the good side.

While I agree with you that bringing interesting conversations is important , we should talk about the good things PALM did with Pre.
    I don't mind being a "staunch defender"; however, to say I don't recognize flaws would be a mis-statement. I do, they are simply not "deal breakers" to me.

In addition, there are those that harp on flaws as if they are system wide. Many are not. For instance, the "oreo effect". No doubt that it exists, there have been too many instances of it to ignore it. However, not all systems have the problem. Same with the "phone app" lag.

Then there are issues such as "working with the cloud". Is that a flaw? Nope, not in my opinion. It's a design decision.

Things like Palm not duplicating the functionality of the PIM in the previous devices. Again, a flaw, or a design decision. I say it's a design decision.

The issue becomes when some on here insist that makes me, or someone that feels the same as I, some type of "fanboy". Sorry, just ain't so.

Tongue-in-cheek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tongue-in-cheek is a term used to refer to humor in which a statement, or an entire fictional work, is not meant to be taken seriously, but its sarcasm is subtle. The origin of its usage comes from when Spanish minstrels would perform for various dukes in the 18th century; these dukes would silently chastise the silliness of the minstrel's performances by placing their tongue firmly to the side of their cheek. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "Ironic, slyly humorous; not meant to be taken seriously".

Agreed. Most of the decisions are design decisions, not flaws or blatant ommisions. It would take palm nothing to implement txt forwarding, changing alert tones , PIM etc.

They chose not to, for whatever reason.
    Like you most of the drawbacks don't bother me, i am coming from windows mobile after all, but some things do, like the functionality of the phone, again this is probably a design decision...maybe they are trying to keep the phone simple in the begining? who knows.

one thing that does irk me is all or nothing sync which may or may not be facebook's design or Palm's philosophy.

Palm doesn't want use to scroll, rather they want us to query. still annoying.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    naw..i appreciate posts like yours. I'm ok reading the good or the bad or different perspectives. Being able to debate or talk about it with other Pre owners is the appeal of being here along with the tips & fixes. If they want to compare with other platforms, that's great too. It's all good to me.

"

Agree , Yup being able to debate is most important , than merely agreeing to everything.

While I agree with you that bringing interesting conversations is important , we should talk about the good things PALM did with Pre.

The big one is the OS is brilliant in it's simplicity and ease of use, i could never go back to on screen buttons or hardware buttons for basic functions like "back" or "menu"!

The phone form factor is also brilliant, i never thought i could live with another 3.2 inch screen until i owned the pre. I just couldn't live with a bigger phone now.

Ok, things I think Palm did right:

1) Using Linux.
    2) Using Webkit
    3) Making their SDK a free download (the emulator is a great tool for just experimenting).
    4) The card metaphor for task switching
    5) the form factor.
    6) The keyboard
    7) You can switch the battery

I also like that the email client supports push and HTML email.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 08/26/2009 at 11:33 AM.