1.    #1  
    I am a long time Palm user and my current phone is the 800W but my Pre has been ordered and is on its way!

I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums and other sites on the web too.

Currently, I have my own website that I rent called, let's say TEST.COM. I also receive all of my email through my webhosts mail server. My email address is JOHN@TEST.COM. I use Thunderbird for to receive and send email.

How will this affect the way I use my Pre?

Will I be able to import my contacts from Thunderbird to the Pre?

Will I be able to send/receive email from my JOHN@TEST.COM account?

All of my 800W contacts and appointments are currently synced with Outlook on my computer... can I/should I import from Outlook to the Pre? If so, how?

Thanks for your help!
    As long as you have Thunderbird and your Pre configured to connect to your mail servers using IMAP you'll be fine.

The only way I know of to import contacts is to export them from Thunderbird, import those to Google Contacts, then do an over-the-air (OTA) sync with Google. I am sure other folks know of different ways, this is just the one I know of (and have done).

Yes, you will be able to send/receive email from john@test, but make sure to use IMAP.

If you are a heavy Outlook Calendar user I suggest using Google's Outlook Calendar sync: Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help (I have used it and it works great). It will sync your Outlook to Google Calendar which will then be synced to your phone.

We're here to help!
    Congrats and welcome!!!

Ah the old 800w. I think you'll like the move up in the world.

So email. It is super easy to set up your email on the phone. All you have to do is, when you first get the phone, enter in your webhosts information and the Pre will download the mail that has just arrived. It does not download all your backed up email in Outlook or Thunderbird. It just goes right to your webhost and pulls the new email.

Word of advice that has nothing to do with the Pre, I had an email account on my website mail server and after months of frustration I moved everything to Google. For good or for ill, Google just does internet mail right. I still have the website account for a few things, and (back to the Pre) I have my Pre set up to take mail from both accounts. But personally I prefer gmail. You may have a great experience with your webhost, (and I hope you do) but don't be afraid of gmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    The only way I know of to import contacts is to export them from Thunderbird, import those to Google Contacts,
    I use the Zindus addon to keep my Thunderbird contacts in sync with Google.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    As long as you have Thunderbird and your Pre configured to connect to your mail servers using IMAP you'll be fine.
    Sorry for the noob question but what exactly will using IMAP instead of POP3 do for me?
  6.    #6  
    Actually, I just tested IMAP and think I got it! Tell me if this is correct...

Whether I send, receive, delete, etc. an email from the web and come home later and load up Thunderbird.. all of my message activity done on the web will be transferred to my Thunderbird.. and vice versa...

Is this correct? If so, I am:

1. I VERY happy man.
    2. Ashamed at myself for not knowing how cool this is!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I admire you and your courage to buy a Palm product in such times!
    Oh yeah I upgraded from a 800 too. Could never go back.
    Excellent choice my man excellent choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    Sorry for the noob question but what exactly will using IMAP instead of POP3 do for me?
    No worries. IMAP lets your mail client (Thunderbird, Pre) connect to your mailservers and view the email there. No email is moved from the mail servers to your mail client. Also, when you send an email using IMAP, a copy of it is placed on the mail server in the Sent folder. Let's say you sent an email with Thunderbird yesterday, but you are not near Thunderbird right this moment. You have only your Pre. No problem, just fire up the mail client and go to the Sent folder and viola! There's the email you sent with T-bird.

With POP3 all incoming mail is physically moved from the mail server and into your mail client (Thunderbird or Pre). So if you get a new email and it comes in on your Pre, it will not show up in T-bird (that is unless you manually configure the Pre and T-bird to leave the message on the server). However, POP3 cannot leave a copy of sent email on the server like IMAP can. That's probably the biggest drawback of POP3.

IMAP is best because you can keep ALL your devices, computers, and mail clients in sync with each other. They will all see the same emails no matter what device you received/sent it on.