1.    #1  
    titile should read: Lost some respect for Palm thanks to poor customer service

So I wanted to give my story about my call to Palm this past week. Decided to finally take the plunge and call up Palm about my Pre. I'm one of those many people that bought a Pre on day 1, had it replaced... had it replaced again... and on the 3rd try realized the slider was never going to be the greatest, so I just stuck with it. Overall my phone has 3 main issues. 1) the slider has a lot of give, and rotates a bunch when closed (oreo effect). 2) Sounds like a get weird audio problems sometimes when I move my phone around too much. Almost seems like something's loose inside. 3) the keyboard doesn't feel nearly as nice as the new Pre's that came out months later. 1 and 3 I just sucked it up and lived with, but 2 was a bigger issue so I called up Palm about the warranty.

I talked to this lady that was nice, but had very broken english and was annoying as crap. She would ask for my name, so I would say... _______ and then she would respond, "thank you for the information". Then she would ask for my phone number and she would respond "thank you for that information". And it went on and on. Then I explained the situation and she would say "Thank you for that information, please hold". It was as if she couldn't say anything by herself.

She then tried to get me to find another phone I could call from so she could somehow debug my reception issues, which i can just imagine that would have something to do with me popping out my battery 10 million times and rebooting my phone. Since I knew all my issues are hardware issues I didn't want to go through with this, so I just told her, that I'd like to get the slider fixed. Then she went to go ask her manager about it and came back 5 minutes later saying its not covered under warranty. I was in shock. I asked "why not?". She said its just not part of the hardware warranty. Obviously, its a known hardware defect so I kept asking about what the reason is and she said its because its because I must've dropped it. I continued to explain to her that no, I didn't drop it, and yes, the problem has been there from day one and about a million other people have the same crappy problem. Palm knows about it, I know about it, and I would sure has heck think that she would know about it. Again, she claimed its not a problem with the phone but after some "discussion" with her she went back to talk to her "level 2 support" and amazingly enough they approved repairs.

Unfortunately its going to be 5-7 days of repairs if I send it in (unless I want to pay $30 for them to send me a replacement phone first). Since I don't want to be without my Pre right now, and declined and told them I'd call back some other time to get my Pre repaired. Now I'm trying to decide if I can go back to an old centro for a week or so and deal with the hassle of taking my invisible shield off and having it put back on when I get my phone back (or a replacement). I'm tempted to pay the $30 but I feel like I'm getting shafted cause its obviously a problem with the build quality and I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced to get it replaced. I know some will say to get insurance, but I take care of my phones very well and I'm not gonna pay $7/month so I can be sure a phone I bought has good build quality.

I'm kinda bummed now cause I have such high hopes for Palm, I love my Pre (except the build quality) and have recommended it to everyone I know. I've convinced at least 5 other people to get a Pre and hope they never have to deal with the same kind of terrible experience I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Since I knew all my issues are hardware issues I didn't want to go through with this, so I just told her, that I'd like to get the slider fixed.

after some "discussion" with her she went back to talk to her "level 2 support" and amazingly enough they approved repairs.

Unfortunately its going to be 5-7 days of repairs if I send it in (unless I want to pay $30 for them to send me a replacement phone first). Since I don't want to be without my Pre right now, and declined and told them I'd call back some other time to get my Pre repaired.
    I'm curious, if you knew "all your issues are hardware issues" and you don't want to send it in for repair, what was the purpose of your call? Did you expect them to somehow fix your hardware issues over the phone?

Sure, you had to do some convincing for them to agree to repair it, but they agreed to fix it, except you don't want to send it in to them and don't want to pay a small fee for a loaner. How does that translate into "poor customer service?"
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I'm curious, if you knew "all your issues are hardware issues" and you don't want to send it in for repair, what was the purpose of your call? Did you expect them to somehow fix your hardware issues over the phone?
    Not at all. They have a "premium" service or whatever they call it, but they charge like $30 for them to send you a replacement and then put a $400 hold on your credit card in case you don't send back the old one. I just think if they wanted to make an effort, they'd wave the $30 and not put me through the inconvenience. I definitely do plan on sending it in for them to repair, but I just can't be without my Pre right now.

I'd pay the $30, but I feel like on principle alone I shouldn't have to pay for something they clearly know was a problem since day 1.

Also, I appreciate that they are willing to fix it, but I didn't appreciate that I had to sit on the phone arguing with this lady that clearly has no clue about anything just so they'd agree to fix their problem.
    Also, I appreciate that they are willing to fix it, but I didn't appreciate that I had to sit on the phone arguing with this lady that clearly has no clue about anything just so they'd agree to fix their problem.
    Yeah, the wonders of outsourced customer service. Reps that cannot speak passable English and reading from a script has become the norm.

I always keep at least one of my old phones to use as a spare in case something like your situation happens. I can "downgrade" to my Treo800w or Centro for a few weeks if I had to.
    titile should read: Lost some respect for Palm thanks to poor customer service

So I wanted to give my story about my call to Palm this past week. Decided to finally take the plunge and call up Palm about my Pre. I'm one of those many people that bought a Pre on day 1, had it replaced... had it replaced again... and on the 3rd try realized the slider was never going to be the greatest, so I just stuck with it. Overall my phone has 3 main issues. 1) the slider has a lot of give, and rotates a bunch when closed (oreo effect). 2) Sounds like a get weird audio problems sometimes when I move my phone around too much. Almost seems like something's loose inside. 3) the keyboard doesn't feel nearly as nice as the new Pre's that came out months later. 1 and 3 I just sucked it up and lived with, but 2 was a bigger issue so I called up Palm about the warranty.

I talked to this lady that was nice, but had very broken english and was annoying as crap. She would ask for my name, so I would say... _______ and then she would respond, "thank you for the information". Then she would ask for my phone number and she would respond "thank you for that information". And it went on and on. Then I explained the situation and she would say "Thank you for that information, please hold". It was as if she couldn't say anything by herself.

She then tried to get me to find another phone I could call from so she could somehow debug my reception issues, which i can just imagine that would have something to do with me popping out my battery 10 million times and rebooting my phone. Since I knew all my issues are hardware issues I didn't want to go through with this, so I just told her, that I'd like to get the slider fixed. Then she went to go ask her manager about it and came back 5 minutes later saying its not covered under warranty. I was in shock. I asked "why not?". She said its just not part of the hardware warranty. Obviously, its a known hardware defect so I kept asking about what the reason is and she said its because its because I must've dropped it. I continued to explain to her that no, I didn't drop it, and yes, the problem has been there from day one and about a million other people have the same crappy problem. Palm knows about it, I know about it, and I would sure has heck think that she would know about it. Again, she claimed its not a problem with the phone but after some "discussion" with her she went back to talk to her "level 2 support" and amazingly enough they approved repairs.

Unfortunately its going to be 5-7 days of repairs if I send it in (unless I want to pay $30 for them to send me a replacement phone first). Since I don't want to be without my Pre right now, and declined and told them I'd call back some other time to get my Pre repaired. Now I'm trying to decide if I can go back to an old centro for a week or so and deal with the hassle of taking my invisible shield off and having it put back on when I get my phone back (or a replacement). I'm tempted to pay the $30 but I feel like I'm getting shafted cause its obviously a problem with the build quality and I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced to get it replaced. I know some will say to get insurance, but I take care of my phones very well and I'm not gonna pay $7/month so I can be sure a phone I bought has good build quality.

I'm kinda bummed now cause I have such high hopes for Palm, I love my Pre (except the build quality) and have recommended it to everyone I know. I've convinced at least 5 other people to get a Pre and hope they never have to deal with the same kind of terrible experience I have.
    I went through this SAME EXACT process with Palm. I thought they would do the same as Sony (send you the replacement phone first and just ask you to send the phone back in that box).

Angered with this ridiculous policy, I posted on the Palm forums. A Palm representative informed me that Palm has their warranty also handled through the carrier with no cost at all. This is unlike every other phone and I'm VERY happy they did this.

I was upset at first, but it seems like they took precautionary measures by having you go to the carrier instead of calling them.

Go to your carrier's store and get the phone replaced like I did.
    I had the same problem before,call palm and tell them that my slider is moving from side to side,and I need it fix or replace,they ask me if I bought the phone from them and I said yes. I got my replacement phone in three days,no problem since.
    I payed the $30.
    It was worth it to not be without my phone.
    I figured $30 for six months usage, and then they send me one that has no wear and tear, was well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I payed the $30.
    It was worth it to not be without my phone.
    I figured $30 for six months usage, and then they send me one that has no wear and tear, was well worth it.
    Absolutely. And, the $30 serves as a disincentive for people to take advantage of the system. I think it's entirely reasonable.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  9.    #9  
    you all make valid points. Yes, the $30 isn't too bad all things considered, but again its more of the principle that bothers me. I paid $300 (with a $100MIR) on day one because I was that excited about the Pre, and I feel like the least they could do is replace my Pre with known problems without causing me headaches. I might try going through sprint, but from past experiences they couldn't care less unless you have insurance. Is there anything I have to tell them specifically? Just say "i heard sprint handles palm warranty issues"?
    you all make valid points. Yes, the $30 isn't too bad all things considered, but again its more of the principle that bothers me. I paid $300 (with a $100MIR) on day one because I was that excited about the Pre, and I feel like the least they could do is replace my Pre with known problems without causing me headaches. I might try going through sprint, but from past experiences they couldn't care less unless you have insurance. Is there anything I have to tell them specifically? Just say "i heard sprint handles palm warranty issues"?
    I'd just make a quick trip to Sprint and see what they say.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Well, first off, my heart goes out to you. You're continuing to carry on the Palm love in the face of ridiculous hardware problems. For that you deserve a medal.

I'm one of those crazy lucky b***** who still has his launch pre and loves it. But I've heard sooooo many stories of returned Pres that I'm actually recommending it less. It's sad, but true. And I'd like to know how many Pre pluses have hardware problems. And if they're less problematic, then they should stop handing out Pres and start handing out Pluses.

But to your problem: Yeah, I wouldn't have bothered to call Palm. Anytime you have a problem with any phone from any company, always go to the carrier first. Google tried to take on customer service with the Nexus and I hear that was a nightmare. Apple is the best, but they are a much larger computer company. Palm will be one day (yeah, I know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...) but they aren't right now.

Personally, I got the Bell insurance. I can drop this thing in a pool and run over it with my car and they'll replace it no questions asked. It's a little expensive, but in the case of the Pre, it's a good thing to have just in case.

I agree with wynand, head over to Sprint and see what they say.
    When I went to Sprint, they just said ok and asked me what was wrong so they could check it off in the PC. I told them that my power button wasn't working and that my speaker was blown and he just ordered a phone.
    yea sounds like a lot of complaining to me. 30$ for a new phone and you can use yours until the new one gets to you.... Wow what more could you ask? I guess you could pay 100$ and get a refurb.. I'm sorry I just feel like there is too many negative posts in here towards palm as if they were an evil corp (apple) lol.
    Ok you do realize you can just go to Sprint directly and get a replacement Pre right??? Even if you don't have insurance your Pre is covered for 1 year under Palms warranty and Sprint can do the warranty replacement for you without paying a penny!. I have done this once already. They sent me a refurb but it got there the next business day! This refurb has been by the far the best Pre I have seen or messed with. No oreo and a perfect keyboard with no popping or annoying noises while typing.

Now as far as your Invisible shield situation goes who cares just let Sprint have that phone. Pay $9.95 on amazon.com and get a Skinomi front shield for it. It is WAY better than Invisible Shield and easier to apply. As far as all your info on your phone everything is stored in Palms server so when you get the replacement refurb from Sprint you can just sync everything right on over to the new phone. I believe just your music and a couple other small things wont transfer over. So ya to hell with Palm Customer service I have dealt with them. Just go to a Sprint store that is a repair Sprint store and you will be all set!
    I have gone through a similar ordeal with original poster and I don't blame him for trying to call Palm after so many replacements from Sprint.

The thing is, every replacement comes with problems of it's own and that slider issue for instance is almost always present. So one wonders that if Palm would ship a replacement from their own warehouse if it would be better than all these replacements from Sprint that don't fix any of the issues.

I don't know how refurbs are handled but maybe Palm has better/newer refurbs in their warehouse than Sprint. Getting them to send one is surely hell though. When I chatted with Palm support online most I was able to convince them to do was to repair my device which required me sending my Pre to them in advance and being without a phone for 10 days or so. So like most people I gave up.

Palm really needs to stand better by their products and work to acknowledge and resolve any problems as quickly as possible. Yet instead they chose to fix them for Verizon Pre Pluses and still assume those issues are not there on Sprint Pres. Really disheartening.