Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Hey so im wondering, we all know sprint does not allow tethering with the pre currrently, but do they allow it if you pay an extra monthly fee? and if so is it possible to pay for that service month by month. I would love if when I go on a road trip this summer I can use the pre as a mobile hot spot for just the month im gone...
    nope

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    Hey so im wondering, we all know sprint does not allow tethering with the pre currrently, but do they allow it if you pay an extra monthly fee? and if so is it possible to pay for that service month by month. I would love if when I go on a road trip this summer I can use the pre as a mobile hot spot for just the month im gone...
    nope, but you can still use it on your road trip...just search for mobile hotspot for sprint.
    They used to have a PAM (phone as mobile, or whatever it is) add-on for plans back in the day but I don't think they even offer it anymore because they want people to buy datacards or other purely data devices.
    I'm hoping they get with the times and add this functionality soon. They already don't have the Plus line of the phones and with less features, it makes the phone a less compelling purchase.
    You can tether with a Sprint Pre for free. Look for MyTether. Also, we have Verizon's Mobile Hot Spot working on Sprint too.
    look at this thread, you can tether for free

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html
    It's a trap....
    Quote Originally Posted by rigatoni1374 View Post
    It's a trap....
    Huh?
    Vzw mobile hotspot app works on a sprint pre but i think its against sprints TOS. I believe we also have a cap on our data of 5 gigs, not entirely sure tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    Vzw mobile hotspot app works on a sprint pre but i think its against sprints TOS. I believe we also have a cap on our data of 5 gigs, not entirely sure tho.
    Yes, it is against Sprint's ToS. However, we have been using tethering since last summer and no one has ever said that Sprint contacted them about it.

We technically don't have a cap on the amount of data used a month. It is recommended though to stay below 5gig a month. As long as you don't abuse the tethering and torrent all day long, you should be perfectly ok.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I asked Sprint on-line:
    Does Sprint expect to offer free Mobie hot Spot now that
    Verizon is offering it? I would like to be able to tehter my Palm Pre
    with my laptop.

Here's how they answered:

Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding phone as modem service.

We cannot comment on what other service providers are offering. However,
    we are no longer providing this service. I apologize for the resulting
    inconvenience.

Please reply if you have any other concern. We value your business and
    appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

Sincerely,
    Semanna T.
    Sprint

Cheers
    Andy
    if you use mytether or verizons mhs app and have a unlimited data plan (which you have to have to use a pre) you will be fine tethering.... The 5gb data cap is only for sprints aircards... I've talked to 4 different customer service reps on this issue. (without telling them I want to tether)... They assured me any unlimited data plan for Phones is truly unlimited... One even said if I could figure out how to use 70+GB I still wouldn't be charged. Happy Tethering
    I would honestly pay or tethering.. I'd use it enough to justify the added monthly fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    if you use mytether or verizons mhs app and have a unlimited data plan (which you have to have to use a pre) you will be fine tethering.... The 5gb data cap is only for sprints aircards... I've talked to 4 different customer service reps on this issue. (without telling them I want to tether)... They assured me any unlimited data plan for Phones is truly unlimited... One even said if I could figure out how to use 70+GB I still wouldn't be charged. Happy Tethering
    QFT

I've heard of people on Howard Forums using more than 5 GB a month on their phones with no issues. The cap is only on Aircards like this poster mentioned. I've used over 5GB one month (lots of streaming internet radio - plus a bug in 1.3 that caused my email connection to keep downloading) and I asked Sprint if I would be in trouble and they told me 'no'.