Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So I am thinking of upgrading from Blackberry Curve to Palm Pre with Verizon.

Why? (simply stated)

How? - moving data from current BB to Pre. Is it seamless for contacts and calendar events, ect.

Email? BB is great. Pre???

Messaging? - BBM is important to me. Is there a comparable compromise for me to use, that is easy for others to use with me?

Battery life? Really that bad?

I appreciate all your input. And my other choices are narrowed down to Storm 2, Tour 2 (May?), or wait for future releases.

Thank You,
    Dan
    Friend, I have two phones, but the Curve is much for convenient for messaging. The Palm but use it to browse the internet and applications. If I had to choose I would stay with Palm because it is much more efficient, but no PDA to compare with the stability of the BB
    you can check some video out to see if pre's email and I'm fit your need.

battery usually last 8-12 hours, or longer if you have less data traffic.

pre is great for it's revolutionary multitasking. Universal search. Synergy and notification system. Each every one of them is true and not matched in the current smartphone market.
    I just changed from a Verizon Curve to a Pre mainly for the gee-whiz factor of the Pre.

I use gmail & yahoo for my email and it sucked all my info into the phone without any fuss. My calandar is in the cloud so I can't really comment on that but it does render my schedule on the browser a LOT better than the BB.

Never used BBM much.

I also looked at the Storm 2 but couldn't see toting that brick around...

Battery life is pretty dismal compared to the Curve I've only had the Pre for about a week and the battery gets low about halfway through the day.

If you're due an upgrade then get the Pre. It's only $50 and you can keep your BB as a backup in case the Palm sh!ts the bed

WebOS is really slick
    Ok i can tell you that if you get a Pre +, all the features you just listed will work flawlessly and you'll become an addict like us over here. I just cant put my Pre down!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Thank you all for your input!!!!!

Want the WOW and different factor, so i am leaning towards the pre plus.

But, I think I need more advice and input> so, keep your thoughts coming.

Thanks All!
    I had one of the old school BB's and was amazed to learn that they were just now coming out with a touch screen. For the most part I still see the majority of BBs with the toggle system. The Pre's touch system rocks and you'd still get the keyboard that you're used to. Never have a problem with emails at all. Plus the apps and browsing are a breez...
    the only feature you listed that the pre doesn't have is bbm, but no other smartphone has it either, we do have incredibly easy acess to different im things such as google talk and yahoo
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I have never had a BB, but I can say that the Pre's email and calendering are superb. I have and Exchange account from work and a Gmail account. Both accounts use push technology and the Pre can be set to use their capabilities. I get any email sent to me almost simultaneous with its being sent.

My wife's Moment (Android OS) can handle Exchange Server mail and Gmail, but the Gmail account has no option to receive mail as it arrives at the server. I had to set the Gmail account to check for email once per hour. I am not sure about the Exhange capabilities of the Moment since she does not have an Exchange account.

WebOs just excels. It was designed from the beginning to have a consistent and intuitive interface.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    lol I had a curve before the Pre.

I'm not looking back at all (period)
    I'll tell you this much about the battery; after having my phone at 95% at 1 am last night, it's at 57% as I type this at 12:29 pm. The battery life continues to improve significantly with every patch.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So...I went to the store and fell in love with the Pre. only stumbling blocks are:

Bluetooth compatiability with my Volvo S60 (rep was a little concerned) - volvo website staes no voice dialing - does that mean voice dial through phone? or bluetooth system?

and

Transfer of calendar items transferred - as I don't have them stored on a yahoo, google application.

Thank you all!!!! Your input is helpful!!!!
    you can get those extended batteries for 20 dollars on ebay..
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    No offense but BB is severely outdated..it only serves the corporate world IMO anymore (previous BB owner). The OS is ugly to put it simply and the ONLY thing good about BB is the Email (and I guess BBM if you use it but I prefer regular SMS to be honest). The web browsing abilities of the Pre is a 9/10 IMO and the BB is like a 5/10, multitasking also goes hands down to the Pre+ as does graphics etc. I have not played with the Storm 2 but the Storm 1 was enough to not want to touch it regardless of having more memory, it is an ugly phone inside/out.

I know to each their own but I cant imagine you making the switch and regretting it..at least until BB ups their game and gets on the same level as apple/htc/webOS etc
    In addition to all points posted so far, BBM is the only thing there is no equivalent for but with integrated MMS and IM, I don't see that as a big negative. (the only thing is your friends will use your phone #\email to contact you instead of your PIN.)

Email is lightning fast through EAS\Gmail push and my Pre shows the message sometimes 2-3 minutes faster than my desktop. Synergy contact integration can be too good sometimes giving you more contacts than you may want, but to address that there's...

Universal search. In the same way you start typing a number on you BB and it prepares to dial a contact, on the Pre you make one "swipe" up and start typing any part of of contacts info (first, last, company, phone, emails, initials) and it will pull the contact up and you can call\email\sms from right there. Plus with global address search (GAS) you can search exchange for contacts not on your Pre itself.

Web browser is 1,000,000X better, plus you have pinch zooming to view content exactly how you want it. Your in love already....just commit.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Really it comes down to calendar sync and bluetooth compatiability.

I need to have voice dial for bluetooth in my car.
    well you can get do the test drive to see if the bluetooth works with your car. As far as the calendar goes, you can probably export your current calendar to file and import them to gmail.
    If you can use google sync with the blackberry then you can get your contacts and calendars into a google account:
    Google Sync for your phone

It also syncs with windows, so if you have a way to sync the blackberry to windows then you could do it indirectly.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I was able to synch my calendar with Yahoo. And it looks like the yahoo syncs well with Palm.

Am I correct?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dansod View Post
    So I am thinking of upgrading from Blackberry Curve to Palm Pre with Verizon.

Why? (simply stated)

How? - moving data from current BB to Pre. Is it seamless for contacts and calendar events, ect.

Email? BB is great. Pre???

Messaging? - BBM is important to me. Is there a comparable compromise for me to use, that is easy for others to use with me?

Battery life? Really that bad?

I appreciate all your input. And my other choices are narrowed down to Storm 2, Tour 2 (May?), or wait for future releases.

Thank You,
    Dan
    I am not a huge fan of the utilitarian text OS that black berries use and I wanted to use something that was a bit more cutting edge. That is why I chose the Pre over a blackberry.

The Pre doesn't have a desktop manager like BB's do, and Palm has basically said they never will. I am not exactly sure how to migrate stuff, but I believe there are 3rd party apps that will do this. If you information is in the cloud, like on Google or Yahoo, then porting your info will be super easy. The Pre was designed to sync very well to cloud services. This is where WebOS synergy really shines. Synergy takes all of your duplicate contacts, collects the contact information, and displays it as a single input. That means if someone is listen in your google contacts, exchange contacts or others, their e-mail address won't be displayed multiple times.

Email is blackberry's thing, and the Pre will not do it better. However, WebOS allows for unlimited Exchange accounts, POP3 accounts, IMAP accounts, Google and Yahoo accounts. It has a universal inbox and lets you easily delete messages by "swiping" them out of the inbox. I do wish the email client was a little more responsive; it won't be instant like BB, but it will display HTML messages perfectly and quickly. I also wish it had a threaded inbox like gmail.

I have never used BBM so I can't really comment. I can say that the threaded SMS/MMS is really nice. The messaging app in WebOS also allows AIM and GTalk conversations to thread into your SMS/MMS convo's so everything appears fluid. Some people love this, some hate it; I personally think it is a very nice feature.

I have the seidio 1350 battery and I get typically drain 5-10% per hour. I am never very far away from a charger so it really isn't that big of a deal for me. The touchstone charger is amazing though. If I switch away from a WebOS phone, it will be one of the first things I miss. In summary, don't expect to have your phone last multiple days on a single charge like BB's can.

The two very nice things about WebOS are the notifications (best out there IMO, with android being a close second) and the multitasking, which is intuitive and very easy to manage.

I would say give the Pre+ a 30 day try (I think VZW does that) and see how it works out for you.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast