Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Hello all,

I am travelling to Japan soon, and would like to know if my Pre GSM will be working in Japan. It is a German (QWERTZ) model, working on a Swisscom card in Switzerland. I know that Japan is very "special", but I am not tech enough to really be sure. Can I recceive and make phone calls? Does Data (3G?) work? What else do I need to know?

Thanks for information and advice.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    No-one? It's hard to believe......... or is my question so stupid?
    Should be possible at least with NTT Docomo network, but don't know if your swiss service provider has a roaming-contract with them.

So: the device should work, but I don't know if your SIM works.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Thanks, rot. I will check with SWISSCOM in any case, but the question was more "technical"/phone frequency (800/900/1800/1900MHz for the PRE I believe) related.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I was in china last week and it worked perfectly.. Maybe that helps..
    Doesn't Japan have special/hi-tech mobile networks? I'm sure i read somewhere that the majority of phones in the world, regardless of whether its quad band, tri band etc won't work in Japan? I could be wrong though...
    Quote Originally Posted by steiale View Post
    I was in china last week and it worked perfectly.. Maybe that helps..
    I've used my old phone (HTC touch diamond) in China last year and it worked fine. But their networks are similar to ours (Europe) i believe. Japan are light years ahead of us in phone technology and generally only Japanese phones work on Japanese networks.
    in Japan they use the same W-CDMA/UMTS as in germany.. the problem was with the oldschool GSM, that was only used by vodafone in selected cities.. so as long as you have 3g/UMTS u are good to go..
    Quote Originally Posted by ollip79 View Post
    in Japan they use the same W-CDMA/UMTS as in germany.. the problem was with the oldschool GSM, that was only used by vodafone in selected cities.. so as long as you have 3g/UMTS u are good to go..
    My bad. Must have read an article about it years ago. Thanks for putting it straight
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ollip79 View Post
    That's the information I was looking for. I also had the information that "most" phones don't work in Japan, but most is not all and I wanted to get confirmation whether the Pre is among "most" or not .

3G/UMTS is available, so it should work then. Thanks a lot.
    Can ensure you that works with WCDMA/UMTS Network of NTT DoCoMo and SoftBank
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Thanks to all for contributing. Will report my experiences after the trip.