Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    This is GREAT news for webOS! Developers will steer away from the iPhone market and begin to develop for the easiest platform to develop for, webOS.

    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/10/s...ent-tool-rest/

    Edit: Sorry, the link never posted.
    Last edited by Reign25; 04/10/2010 at 09:52 PM.
  2. #2  
    developers will not stop making apps for iphone/ipad for the simple reason that it has the most potential for them to make a profit regardless of how difficult or restrictive apple makes it
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    developers will not stop making apps for iphone/ipad for the simple reason that it has the most potential for them to make a profit regardless of how difficult or restrictive apple makes it
    Sadly, I agree. Yes, the iphone App Store is pretty restrictive, but they have so many potential customers. It's worth it for them to modify their apps to be accepted.
  4. #4  
    The restrictions make it worse for WebOS, at least until the PDK apps start flowing in.

    What the restriction does, is actively make it hard to make cross-platform apps. So when a developer decides to produce an app for the iPhone, they get locked in. It is kind of amazing how Apple has managed to lock consumers and developers into the iTunes ecosystem.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  5. #5  
    I actually just read the article you are referring to. This is the correct one, right?
    Steve Jobs responds directly to developer over new iPhone SDK rules, cites blog for explanation -- Engadget

    Man, Apple is on a total power trip... like always
  6. #6  
    I'm sure somewhere along the line, developers will get tired of apples crap. Just not now, but once more advance hardware from other manufactures starts coming out and people start leaving Apple, then developers will follow.
  7. #7  
    It's horrible for web-os,cause they aren't allowed to port it.... Devs might decide to do android/web-os, but they won't ditch apple for web-os... I think apples responding to the 9000 apps in one month... That would take most of apples advantage away by the time the new iPhone came out... cause 150 000 or 90 000 apps isn't a big deal for the average consumers...
  8. #8  
    I own an iPod Touch and I have owned all generations of this nifty little device and preceding iPods but I've always hated Apple and Steve Job's senseless greed. I could have very well become a developer for iPhone OS back in the day if they only allowed some sort of a PC application to be used for iphone development instead of forcing all their developers to buy a Mac.

    Don't be surprised if Steve 'nutcase' Jobs bans all cross-platform applications on MacOS as well next. I used to think he was a genius but now I just think that he is a nutcase greedy evil CEO. Bill Gates would be an angel compared to him.

    Glad we still got Jon and WebOS steering WebOS in the right direction without burning the bridges with developer community.
    Last edited by cgokcea; 04/10/2010 at 11:37 PM.
  9. #9  
    Oh man, this is not good. Apple is really trying to ruin everyone else. Def not good for WebOs, seeing that we are already struggling. Right now, developers barely even look our way, after this goes into effect, developers wont even look out way.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    The restrictions make it worse for WebOS, at least until the PDK apps start flowing in.

    What the restriction does, is actively make it hard to make cross-platform apps. So when a developer decides to produce an app for the iPhone, they get locked in. It is kind of amazing how Apple has managed to lock consumers and developers into the iTunes ecosystem.
    I don't think this makes a material difference for webOS. I don't think there are that many iPhone developers making apps for webOS using cross-platform tools as-is, and the change is immaterial for the PDK (which you mention).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Oh man, this is not good. Apple is really trying to ruin everyone else. Def not good for WebOs, seeing that we are already struggling. Right now, developers barely even look our way, after this goes into effect, developers wont even look out way.
    I think it's the opposite of what you said. Why? Well because NEW developers will find it much, much easier to develop for webOS rather than iPhone because of the restrictions of iPhone. I would give reasons as to why, but it's late and I'm tired.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    I think it's the opposite of what you said. Why? Well because NEW developers will find it much, much easier to develop for webOS rather than iPhone because of the restrictions of iPhone. I would give reasons as to why, but it's late and I'm tired.
    Yes keyword as you also put very nicely is NEW developers, meaning a lot of established game developers like Gameloft, EA, GluMobile etc won't be able to place quality games in WebOS app catalog like they used to.
  13. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I don't think this makes a material difference for webOS. I don't think there are that many iPhone developers making apps for webOS using cross-platform tools as-is, and the change is immaterial for the PDK (which you mention).
    Since Adobe AIR is coming to webOS and Android, this will make a difference. Apple just blocked Adobe and you can't make one app and release it for all the platforms (iphone, android and webos) anymore. Most companies on budget will probably opt to develop for iphone only, since it's the market leader.
  14. #14  
    no, because if you are going to develop, you want to reach as many people as possible.

    we are not talking iphone app versus webos here... and even add in the touch owners... 85 MILLION owners right? we are talking a whole new market with ipad owners.

    300,000 ipads sold the first weekend? By the end of this month you'll have more ipads sold then probably all palm pres sold in total.

    so ironic that jobs actually fought against apps and his initial vision was web based apps only. but with jailbreaking and showing what could be possible because the os was basically a version of osx, they gave in, developed the sdk and created the appstore. crazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    I think it's the opposite of what you said. Why? Well because NEW developers will find it much, much easier to develop for webOS rather than iPhone because of the restrictions of iPhone. I would give reasons as to why, but it's late and I'm tired.
    Last edited by donm527; 04/11/2010 at 12:29 AM.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    Yes keyword as you also put very nicely is NEW developers, meaning a lot of established game developers like Gameloft, EA, GluMobile etc won't be able to place quality games in WebOS app catalog like they used to.
    Sorry, but this makes no sense. The Apple restrictions don't stop a developer from using the PDK (as Gameloft, EA, Glumobile, etc. have been doing) to port a game easily and quickly to webOS.

    Rather, it stops Flash developers from porting games to the iPhone using Adobe's toolset, which I think is completely irrelevant to webOS. I simply don't think there are that many developers out there chomping at the bit to use that toolset to make apps for iPhone and webOS at the same time. If anything, they're going to be more upset that they can't use the toolset to make apps for iPhone and Android at the same time--which ultimately works in everyone else's favor but Apple's.

    And, let's not forget that an app written for Flash runs on hundreds of millions of PCs and Macs today, and will be able to run on Android and webOS (and probably Windows Phone 7) soon. So, I'm not sure that Apple is going to win this one...
    Last edited by wynand32; 04/11/2010 at 12:40 AM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Since Adobe AIR is coming to webOS and Android, this will make a difference. Apple just blocked Adobe and you can't make one app and release it for all the platforms (iphone, android and webos) anymore. Most companies on budget will probably opt to develop for iphone only, since it's the market leader.
    AIR runs on Windows (hundreds of millions of PCs), OS X (tens of millions of Macs), and is being ported to many mobile platforms. Maybe developers will be stupid enough to ignore the hundreds of millions of systems out there that already run AIR in favor of the iPod/iPhone/iPad market, but somehow I doubt it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Sorry, but this makes no sense. The Apple restrictions don't stop a developer from using the PDK (as Gameloft, EA, Glumobile, etc. have been doing) to port a game easily and quickly to webOS. Since

    It stops Flash developers from porting games to the iPhone using Adobe's toolset, which I think is completely irrelevant to webOS. I simply don't think there are that many developers out there chomping at the bit to use that toolset to make apps for iPhone and webOS at the same time. If anything, they're going to be more upset that they can't use the toolset to make apps for iPhone and Android at the same time--which ultimately works in everyone else's favor but Apples.
    I suppose you're right. WebOS PDK should definitely be in more demand now than anytime before with these restrictions Apple imposed on their developers. I'm not that familiar with Android but I don't think they have a tool like WebOS PDK to port apps from iPhone to Android with ease. Who allows such porting ? WebOS!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't think developers are going to move away from iPhone OS when the iPad sold more devices in the first week (~500K) than Palm did all last quarter (~400K).
    We'll see if iPad is able to maintain this pace beyond the Apple loyalist early adopters. I doubt that Apple will be able to have the same kind of success in the tablet space as the iPhone had in the smartphone space. Simply put, there will be competition this time, and much of it's going to be far more capable. Hell, already the HP Slate is going to do more than the iPad does out of the box, including front- and rear-facing cameras, USB ports, and pen support. And if Microsoft releases the Courier, people will see that Steve Jobs really doesn't have any clothes on.

    Apple's playing these games, and doing things like suing HTC, because they feel the heat. Jobs knows that Apple's not going to be able to maintain their lead on his cult following alone for too much longer. Consider all of the negativity around the iPhone OS 4.0 announcement--people are starting to realize that Apple really is behind in the game technologically. For myself, I think it's about time.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  19. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #19  
    I wonder.
    Did Apple do this just to hit WebOS's PDK feature?

    ...nah.
  20. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #20  
    I wonder.
    Did Apple do this just to hit WebOS's PDK feature?

    ...nah.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions