Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    I suppose you're right. WebOS PDK should definitely be in more demand now than anytime before with these restrictions Apple imposed on their developers. I'm not that familiar with Android but I don't think they have a tool like WebOS PDK to port apps from iPhone to Android with ease. Who allows such porting ? WebOS!
    I do think Google released a similar tool (their NDK, or something like that). I can't say if it's as easy at the PDK, but it performs a similar function as far as I know.

And I'd like to add here that Android's success is good for webOS. It's causing some people to look beyond Apple, and as they do so there's the chance that Palm can grab some of them while they're looking around. In fact, if Verizon sales reps weren't so fixated on the Droid, I'll bet Palm could be gaining much more traction.

And, Google will recognize that all of this is really aimed at them. Maybe Microsoft as well. I doubt that they'll sit back and watch idly by as Apple plays stupid games like this.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I wonder.
    Did Apple do this just to hit WebOS's PDK feature?

...nah.
    No. You're looking at it backwards. They're saying that developers can't use 3rd-party toolsets to compile apps to the iPhone. They can't stop developers from porting apps from the iPhone to other platforms. And that's exactly what the PDK does.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    doubt it.

apples biggest competitor is android and if they have their eye on anyone it's them. i have seen articles last year that over time android will overtake apple in smartphone market and you can see it happening.

the only buzz palm is creating is over takeover rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I wonder.
    Did Apple do this just to hit WebOS's PDK feature?

...nah.
    for companies like those listed below, it wont be an issue because those shops are big enough that they have different departments to develop for different platforms. they will make the adjustment as needed.

it comes down to the smaller developer that can only pick one platform to go with first.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Sorry, but this makes no sense. The Apple restrictions don't stop a developer from using the PDK (as Gameloft, EA, Glumobile, etc. have been doing) to port a game easily and quickly to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I actually just read the article you are referring to. This is the correct one, right?
    Steve Jobs responds directly to developer over new iPhone SDK rules, cites blog for explanation -- Engadget

Man, Apple is on a total power trip... like always
    What I would love to see is Steve Jobs face if Microsoft were to make itunes incompatible with Windows. But Microsoft won't do that since they own a fairly large share of Apple anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    What I would love to see is Steve Jobs face if Microsoft were to make itunes incompatible with Windows. But Microsoft won't do that since they own a fairly large share of Apple anyways.
    In all fairness to Apple, this isn't what they're doing. They're not making any app incompatible with their platform, rather they're dictating what tools a developer must use to make the app. A proper analogue would be if Microsoft were to tell developers that the only tool they could use to make apps for Windows Phone 7 is Visual Studio.
    To double what wynand is saying this doesn't prevent porting and it doesn't hurt the PDK at all, since the PDK is uses C/C++.

Jobs is completely focused on the user experience and feels that using a languages/tools outside of the range of the iPhone SDK will produce substandard apps that may not run properly and may degrade the user experience. That is the point of this move. What I find so odd about this is that isn't Apple supposed to be the computer company that fosters creativity and yet this move seems to greatly hinder that.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    AIR runs on Windows (hundreds of millions of PCs), OS X (tens of millions of Macs), and is being ported to many mobile platforms. Maybe developers will be stupid enough to ignore the hundreds of millions of systems out there that already run AIR in favor of the iPod/iPhone/iPad market, but somehow I doubt it.
    What do Windows and OSX have to do with Android, webOS and iphone AIR development? I highly doubt any developer creating an app in AIR for a smartphone would want to release it for Windows. Most will only be web developers who would want to make their website more accessible to smartphones anyway..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12