Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I actually got rid of my iPhone for one.. After having the iPhone.. then 3G and seeing that the 3GS was the same.. then seeing the palm pre with a VERTICAL keyboard (which I love) and a CAPACITIVE touch screen.. I was interested. Then I saw the deck of card features. Now I have a Palm Pre...
    I trusted Palm, I've owned and used almost every Sprint PalmOS Treo since the 600 (600, 650, 700p, 755p. No Centro.), I wanted a portrait physical keyboard, I wanted a big (relative to the phone's body-size) capacitive touchscreen phone with multi-touch, double-tap-to-zoom capabilities, and I needed a better, faster, desktop-like browser.

Also, I disliked these qualities of the iPhone: the closed, totalitarian App Store, the lack of basic "computer-like" features like copy-paste, easy/intuitive multi-tasking, software keyboard/lack of tactile feedback (you're on a button, you just pressed a button), hm, forwarding text messages?, it was only on ATT, some others that I can't remember at the moment.

I dislike also the "closed ecosystem" that Apple has over their iPhone users...that they have so much control over how the computer in my pocket would work: what I can put on there, what I can tweak, what I can't...

Android...wasn't a consideration at the time, as they just didn't have any interesting phones on Sprint.

Windows Mobile...just felt too...clunky compared to the PalmOS. RIMM, I ruled out on the basis of browser considerations and, again, their OS feeling not quite a fit for me.

Which left Palm as the great hope as I was sitting there with my Treo 755p.
    got one cos I hated my bb storm such junk! And wanted touch screen and keyboard and I got the phone for 85 bucks no contract from verizon!!
    Why did I purchase a Pre? Because Sprint doesn't carry the iPhone and the Pre was the best phone available on Sprint at the time I was ready to upgrade. Not to mention that my wife literally dragged me out to the mall on release day June 06, 2009 to pick up the last two phones the Sprint store had. She's a big Palm fan mind you. She loves hers to death. I do like the OS, just wish that the build quality of the hardware was better. My Pre feels cheap and rickety. I also find that the more I live with the Pre, the more cramped it feels while using it. A larger screen and a landscape style keyboard would have worked better for me but it is what it is.

So... I guess I'll be looking at what's available once my year is up this June. Definitely going to be checking out the new Sprint HTC EVO 4g. Yes, I live in a 4g area. Will also research what may be coming down the pike in the near future. Perhaps Palm might have a WebOS phone with a better form factor. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.
    Got mine in October after having T-Mobile and the G1.... Love my Pre and the fact that I can do everything I need on one device. Gaming..Check (I now own 21 games replaced my PSP) GPS..Check, Web..Check, Texting, IM, SMS..Check.... O yeah and it makes calls too...

I also happen to like Sprint TV and the fact that this community has helped me make the Pre so much better.
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    • Cards.
    • Multitasking.
    • Its the best form factor ( though folks didn't like).
    • Physical Keyboard.
    • Browser.
    • Pocketable.
    • Removable battery.

Palm should do the following to make it the best phone out there.

• Get rid of that banana slider , make it a vertical slider.
    • Increase the screen size to another quarter inch.
    • Improve the keyboard.
    • Add SD card slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    [LIST]

Palm should do the following to make it the best phone out there.

• Get rid of that banana slider , make it a vertical slider.
    It already has a vertical slider. Portrait = vertical, landscape = horizontal (i.e. the phone is laying on its side, like when you sleep in your bed)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I purchased mine because I was previously a WM user. I also had an ipod touch, and I simply wanted something different and unique. I read a lot about webOS online and in reviews. Later I went into a sprint store and checked out a Touch Pro 2, Hero, and Pre side by side and the Pre just stood out. Thankfully my local sprint store had a working display unlike those silly plastic best buy ones.

The keyboard comparison was a big deal, and I actually felt that typing on the Pre was easier than the other two phones. On the TP2 the landscape keyboard felt too wide and big, there was so much more surface area for my thumbs to cover.

IMO the palm pre was, and still is, the best phone on sprint, so the decision was simple.
    I got mine because I've been using palm pda's to supplement my dumbphones for years then when it was time to upgrade myself to a smartphone I immediately looked to Palm and got myself a Treo 800w and loved it (Being my first smartphone winmo seemed great cause i didn't know better) so when I was due to upgrade I again looked only to palm and webos completely blew my mind.
    Palm has always delivered me a product I like so I reward them with my loyalty
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    It already has a vertical slider. Portrait = vertical, landscape = horizontal (i.e. the phone is laying on its side, like when you sleep in your bed)
    I think he means a traditional non-curving slider.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    it was the pre or the htc hero, I like to think I made the best decision
    The touchscreen and keyboard
    I don't want a driod
    webos is oh so nice
    I've used several Palm devices over the year upgrading when I felt my usage would really utilize the additional features of the next device (Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 600, Treo 755p).

I was satisfied with the Treo 755p and in no hurry to change. It did pretty much anything I wanted to do while mobile (mapping, searching, browsing, email, PDA, music, phone calls(!). I switched when a coworker told me about the Pre and I started checking out the videos early in the year. I went in in July and got it, but it took me 3 weeks to decide to finally keep the device because it wasn't as intuitive (to me) as my Treo had become with all the tweaks on it.

As much as I like many aspects of the Pre, contact management was one of the things I was most looking forward to and have been disappointed by. I have found it frustrating compared to the Treos + Palm Desktop. I just haven't found a system with the Pre that handles contact management in multiple email accounts well for me yet.

Other than that (as big as it is), I enjoy using the Pre. I think WebOS is the best mobile OS I've used and I have high hopes that it will survive and thrive, hopefully on better hardware. When I saw the articles about Palm possibly being bought out I considered what I would do next and in all honestly, if the Pre died and no WebOS phone was available, I'd probably go back to my Treo 755p*.

*Although, having had to use my 755p twice since getting the Pre due to waiting for 2 replacements (once the phone was dead, 2nd time the replacement phone wouldn't connect to the network at the Sprint store) - Using PalmOS after using WebOS for 7 mos felt bland, but the Treo still does what it does well.
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    Simple answer: It was cheaper than the iPhone. I'm almost certain if they were the same price I would've gone for the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2hott23 View Post
    Simple answer = my previous phone was the Instinct
    Me too!!

I thought it was gonna be awesome, because they advertised it against the iphone, wrong.

I bought my Pre because i didn't want an iphone, I already had sprint, unlimited data/voice. the Pre offered me email, internet, linked contacts, Facebook, and Google calendar!

Also brought true multitasking, physical keyboard, webkit browser, removable battery(about the only feature I like about the Instink)

I sold my Wife, Mother and Father on one as well.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 04/13/2010 at 02:18 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I mean a straight vertical slider, not the curvy one like it is now.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234