Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Should i leave the wifi on my pre plus on when i leave my house? I was wondering if this affects battery life at all. It's nice that it automatically connects to my house's wifi when i come back home instead of having to turn it on. Thanks!
    I turn mine off when I leave. I'm not sure but I think if you leave it on it will be in a constant search for a network and that is a drain on the battery.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    If you are only using the wifi @ home I wouldnt... cause it will be searching for an AP constantly...which will burn the battery...

But if you have, lets say a work AP as well... then the travel time in between shouldn't affect it much...

What I do actually is keep it on most of the time, because I have a work and home AP...but I also let it pick up the standard linksys AP that most people use and leave open for use around the areas I travel... works for me...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  4.    #4  
    Thanks everyone!
    go to palm website, it talks about wifi and battery. Keep it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    go to palm website, it talks about wifi and battery. Keep it on.
    i leave mine on weekends......but i have a car charger...it does consume more battery life.....but i also have two other wifi connections that my pre grabs when i get there...my dad's and my cousins...so i don't mind the battery draw....
    getting ~1.5% drain per hour on idle with 720 patch, no scaling, and wifi always on (but it only connects to the home AP)
    I use the 'quick systems task' app to turn off cell data. Cell data is a significant drain especially in low coverage areas.

That with wifi off you will probably have 80-85% battery at the end of the day.

But I will usually leave the wifi on even when out of range as it probably only checks every 30secs-1min, not constantly.

Pre+
    my and my wifes stay on all the time
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Mine stays on all the time, but I have wifi access more than half the day.
    I live mine off anytime I'm on the road or at work, but obviously turn it on when I'm at home or at a location I know has wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    ...but I also let it pick up the standard linksys AP that most people use and leave open for use around the areas I travel... works for me...
    Unless you had connected to these APs in the past, the Pre will not automatically connect to these strays APs, unless you tell it to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by visualplastik View Post
    I use the 'quick systems task' app to turn off cell data. Cell data is a significant drain especially in low coverage areas.

That with wifi off you will probably have 80-85% battery at the end of the day.

But I will usually leave the wifi on even when out of range as it probably only checks every 30secs-1min, not constantly.

Pre+
    Try switching to Hybrid Rev 0 from A. This solved the drain issue for me, and if you are are using Wifi when coverage is weak anyway, the bandwidth impact is negligible. I still have plenty for browsing web pages and streaming audio. No more having to remember to enable and disable data constantly.
    : (){:|:&};:
    I never use wifi...3G is faster than anything the Pre can run on currently thru wifi (doesn't run on 4G dang it)...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Try switching to Hybrid Rev 0 from A. This solved the drain issue for me, and if you are are using Wifi when coverage is weak anyway, the bandwidth impact is negligible. I still have plenty for browsing web pages and streaming audio. No more having to remember to enable and disable data constantly.
    How do you do that? I tried looking for it and gave up
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I never use wifi...3G is faster than anything the Pre can run on currently thru wifi (doesn't run on 4G dang it)...
    I have to ask, what are you basing that statement on? Seriously.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I use wifi whenever I can. It is faster than 3G when loading web pages and updating most anything I've run into. It does save on battery life from what I've experienced.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Wifi on if you're around a Wifi Access Point.
    Wifi off if you're not.
    Pretty much, if you leave any god forsaken thing ON on this phone, your battery will be gone with the wind. It pains me how terrible the Pre's battery is. I dont even know what to do anymore.
    Mine is always on...i dont see any battery drainage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Pretty much, if you leave any god forsaken thing ON on this phone, your battery will be gone with the wind. It pains me how terrible the Pre's battery is. I dont even know what to do anymore.
    ROTFLMAO!! You hit the nail right on the head!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast