Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The PreCentral blog says that the consensus here is to leave wifi on, but a huge chunk of that seems to be from people who frequent wifi spots away from home. The op didn't have that situation, as I recall.

It annoys me that this is recommended so much - especially around launch, by Dieter n company. If leaving wifi on offers no advantage when users are not in range of an accessible wifi network, then telling them to leave wifi on provides a false/misleading impression that their battery life will improve simply by virtue of wifi being on...sans wifi network.
    Last edited by west3man; 06/06/2010 at 11:47 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I agree with west3man. I leave my wife's wifi on because she will not take take the time to turn it on when she is in a wifi zone and would otherwise end up burning 3G. I keep mine off because I will check and see when I am in a wifi zone. She will get more battery drain, but at least she won't be getting data in 3G when she is in a wifi zone, like at home. I think this may become important if Verizon follows AT&T and does away with unlimited data plans.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    I agree with west3man. I leave my wife's wifi on because she will not take take the time to turn it on when she is in a wifi zone and would otherwise end up burning 3G. I keep mine off because I will check and see when I am in a wifi zone. She will get more battery drain, but at least she won't be getting data in 3G when she is in a wifi zone, like at home. I think this may become important if Verizon follows AT&T and does away with unlimited data plans.
    that would only affect you if you signed a new contract after they did away with unlimited data
    Yes I leave mine on all the time I could not tell how places in between my home and work have wifi. As to battery life I bought an Amzer battery that I love to death
    Micah lane
  5.    #45  
    haha in the frontpage post it says I have a sprint pre. Where did they come up with that? I have a verizon pre plus
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Just a tip for those complaining about the battery life. If you go by the Batery meter and charge it before it's dead ALL the time, your battery life will be horrible.

I find every few weeks, a good FULL discharge (i.e. let it die) followed by a full charge, helps a LOT. This helps reset the battery meter to be more accurate. Ususally when I do this for the first time in a few weeks, it will sit and run at 0% for HOURS (with usage). On Friday, I drained mine. It hit 0% at around 5:30 pm. I put it on the charger just after it diead at about 10:30 pm.

Now is it good to fully discharge the batery every time, no. But a few full cycle discharge / full charge does help reset tyhe batteries memory.

You can google Li-Ion battery memory for more info. (I was going to provide a link but my post-count isn't high enough.)
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    It's not a patch go to wifi>preferences>sleep settings
    Was that a (somewhat) recently added feature? I used to leave WIFI on 24/7 and didn't have much issues with battery until the last few months. Lately I can barely go 6-8 hours without my phone being completely drained when the WIFI is on.

I changed this setting to off when sleeping and now my battery life is back to normal.

Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by craig-tx View Post
    Just a tip for those complaining about the battery life. If you go by the Batery meter and charge it before it's dead ALL the time, your battery life will be horrible.

I find every few weeks, a good FULL discharge (i.e. let it die) followed by a full charge, helps a LOT. This helps reset the battery meter to be more accurate. Ususally when I do this for the first time in a few weeks, it will sit and run at 0% for HOURS (with usage). On Friday, I drained mine. It hit 0% at around 5:30 pm. I put it on the charger just after it diead at about 10:30 pm.

Now is it good to fully discharge the batery every time, no. But a few full cycle discharge / full charge does help reset tyhe batteries memory.

You can google Li-Ion battery memory for more info. (I was going to provide a link but my post-count isn't high enough.)
    Actually I heard the opposite. Lithium tech batteries don't like to be discharged flat, it actually hurts it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The PreCentral blog says that the consensus here is to leave wifi on, but a huge chunk of that seems to be from people who frequent wifi spots away from home. The op didn't have that situation, as I recall.

It annoys me that this is recommended so much - especially around launch, by Dieter n company. If leaving wifi on offers no advantage when users are not in range of an accessible wifi network, then telling them to leave wifi on provides a false/misleading impression that their battery life will improve simply by virtue of wifi being on...sans wifi network.
    And for people who *do* have wifi often enough while travelling, half of them are hotspots requiring you click through a HTTP redirect before anything works properly. This means that if you don't do this, and the hotspot is in your list, your mail, among other things, will stop working.

I'm working on an if-up script to deal with this problem, btw, despite being one of those who turns his wifi off when leaving home :-)
    : (){:|:&};:
    Ok, so I only have long standby battery life, but for me it's *huge* that my battery now only drains when I'm using it. I have a Sprint Palm Pre. I've loved webos so much I've just put up with poor battery life so far, and I was constantly figuring out how to fit in more charging time.
    I was inspired by this thread, and the major thing I did was turn off data:
    Phone > Preferences > Data Usage = "OFF"

I also leave Wifi on when I'm at home, but I like that I can set Wifi to turn off when the phone sleeps (as has been pointed out already in this thread):
    Wifi Preferences > Sleep Settings > When Phone Sleeps = "Turn Wi-Fi Off"

These settings work for me since I want my phone to notify me about calls, appointments, and SMS text messages, but not about emails. As it is now, it checks email, syncs calendars, etc. every time I turn the phone on (and Wifi thus reconnects). When I'm away from Wifi, I just turn data on when I need it.

It's only been two days with these settings, but here's what I've observed:
    - I can now go for over an hour on standby and still be at 100%, so I'm thinking it's draining < 1% per hour
    - I just had a 2 hr call, and the battery went from 100% to 70%, so I'm calculating that works out to about 6-7 hrs talk time
    - I can still turn on Pandora or other streaming music and turn off the phone, and it stays connected while Pandora is running (nice)
    - Wifi reconnects so quickly I hardly notice that it has to reconnect each time I turn the phone on (I'm using Linksys with WPA/TKIP security)
    - having battery all the time is so liberating that it's almost like discovering webos all over again
    Update (see my last post for my current configuration): Last night I didn't use my phone much and it went from 100% at 6 PM to 97% this morning at 7 AM. Now that's some pretty nice standby time! I even enabled data and used GPS briefly at one point when I got lost driving.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the 1.4.1.1 update that I had finished installing before 6 PM.

I wish I knew how to get the word out: turn off 3G data when you're not using it, your battery will last forever on standby!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123