Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I turn wifi off unless I'm in range of a strong wifi signal. Seems to give me problems otherwise.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Try switching to Hybrid Rev 0 from A.
    How would one do this?
    There is a patch called "WiFi off when sleeping". Try use that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Never knew that was a 'patch' lol. I would have sworn it's native.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Where would someone find this patch? It does not appear in preware when searching for wifi.
    It's not a patch go to wifi>preferences>sleep settings
    I have not noticed any battery improvement with it off. I just leave it on all the time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by roncgizmo View Post
    How do you do that? I tried looking for it and gave up
    From the phone dialer app, ##3836# (##EVDO#)
    : (){:|:&};:
    If the Pre properly supported WPA/WPA2 with TTLS-PAP with my work, then I would leave it on. As it stands, it hops on the unsecure gateway and screws w/ my data because it has a valid connection, but won't let you anywhere until you sign in via the browser.

And unless I'm streaming, I leave it off at home, too. It sits on a touchstone there, I don't care about battery life then, heh.
    If my wi-fi is on my battery drains extremely fast whether at home or away, its done this ever since 1.4 update. wi-fi is a lot faster so if I am downloading stuff or am close to a power cable I use wi-fi. I also have problems getting on to the secure wireless at my school ever since 1.4, my 3g coverage is really good where I'm at so its easiest just to leave wi-fi off
    I leave my wifi on at home and my battery drain of my Pre at idle is typically a little of 1% per hour. I am out in AZ visiting relatives and the other night I had my Pre on my nightstand next to me with my wifi on and had around a 90% charge on my Pre. My 20% battery notification went off early in the morning. I have Verizon Vios at Home and here in AZ they are using Comcast Cable internet. I have read in some posts in here that some people are experiencing extreme battery drain while having their wifi on and now I am a believer, I guess some wireless routers don't play nice with the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    How would one do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Try switching to Hybrid Rev 0 from A. This solved the drain issue for me, and if you are are using Wifi when coverage is weak anyway, the bandwidth impact is negligible. I still have plenty for browsing web pages and streaming audio. No more having to remember to enable and disable data constantly.
    What is the diff. between Rev0 and A? How does that affect my radio?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    I have to ask, what are you basing that statement on? Seriously.
    I called Sprint tech support for a totally unrelated issue and just got to talking with the tech rep. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about wifi and networking so I picked his brain a bit because I have DSL at home (had, until switching to 4G a couple months ago) and he asked me why I used wifi at home when 3G is faster. After our convo I switched back and forth from wifi to 3G several times and 3G does seem to load my web pages quicker than wifi. Probably would vary a bit based on how strong a signal you get from Sprint's network vs. how strong your wifi connection is. In my home location my Sprint connection is stellar. However at my work location it's just the opposite. There my Sprint signal stinks but McDonald's wifi across the street is sweet!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm heading for Scout camp in the morning with my son so i'm experimenting using my Pre as a "phone only." I've turned off Wifi, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth and all application notifications. Also the screen is down to 35% brightness. Basically I'm rolling with phone and text messages only, which is just fine when i'm not working. In 4 hours my battery % has only dropped by3%. I'll need to occasionally turn on 3G for web and Tweet ME, but otherwise i've got a dumb phone with a full battery. Any other ideas?
  15. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I just turn my Pre off now when I get to work. The battery life is pathetic, because it doesn't even have 20% left after my shift finishes in 4 hours, which too is misleading because within 5 minutes of using the phone, that 20% will suddenly turn into 'YOUR PHONE IS ABOUT TO DIE!!!'

After turning off my phone at work, I have about 60-70% left, which lasts me just over an hour of listening to music and checking my emails.
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    I just turn my Pre off now when I get to work. The battery life is pathetic, because it doesn't even have 20% left after my shift finishes in 4 hours, which too is misleading because within 5 minutes of using the phone, that 20% will suddenly turn into 'YOUR PHONE IS ABOUT TO DIE!!!'

After turning off my phone at work, I have about 60-70% left, which lasts me just over an hour of listening to music and checking my emails.
    Your phone is using power even when its off?

If you are not expecting to get calls turn on airplane mode.The phone will use hardly any power . Searching for 3g hits the battery hard.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I only turn mine on at home where I know i'll be using it. Best battery saving option is to turn your data off when you know you won't need it.
  18. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
    Your phone is using power even when its off?

If you are not expecting to get calls turn on airplane mode.The phone will use hardly any power . Searching for 3g hits the battery hard.

60-70% is the power level usually left in the battery by the time I reach my workplace, which takes me just over an hour. It stays almost the same as it was when I turned it off, may be drops 5-10%, but still it dies quicker anyway, which to me suggests that somehow the battery life displayed on the phone is not accurate. Quite often the battery levels drops from 20-30% to 0% within a matter of minutes. Turning the phone off and on probably drains some of that battery life too, but like I said, if I don't do it, it dies in 5 mins instead of the hour I get out of it by keeping it turned off.

As for the airplane mode, I haven't used it but I will give it a try.
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
    Where I live, I'm right on the fringe for cell service, and my phone would lose about 70% of its charge in six hours at idle. Since I got wifi, it only loses about 15% in that time. I leave it on all the time now. I haven't noticed anymore drain then normal when I'm good cell service locations with wifi on. When I get to work, I also put it into airplane mode. I find that its lot easier than turning it on and dont have to wait forever for it to boot up. Having it airplane mode for a whole day at idle, it only loses about 10% charge.
    YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!

Palm Pre
    Bell Mobility

Patches: 4x4Iconsv1, Add Date MM/DD,Default to Month View, Device Warning Temperatures, Enable Add/Delete Pages, Glass Effect, More Reminder Times, SMS to Two Seconds, Unhide Dev Mode, Unthrottle Download Manager
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    What I do, personally:

Since ModeSwitcher came out, I set up two modes one named "Home" (which has Wifi on and data off) and one that's named "Not Home" (which has Wifi off data on) I just turn one on or off accordingly. I could even set certain locations to trigger the activation (when I'm actually home) or times.

/plug

Before I just turned on wifi off data whenever I was connected to a network. This can be done by installing various patches from Preware or opening your phone application and going to Preferences.
    Old Kyocera Phone (pay as you go) > Motorola RAZR > Palm Centro > Palm Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast