1.    #1  
    Using mobile hot spot to tether my iPad and I have to 800mhz patch installed. After tethering for 30-45 min I got a device getting hot warning.

Do this sound about right how long have people been tethering until device gets hot?

Also the warming comes from the patch, is there a way to check the exact temperature of the pre? So I can monitor it
    This has happened to me but only whilst usb charging at the same time
    as mentioned by caj the device can get too hot at any frequency when streaming or with continuous downloads. It happens to me as well though less frequently after purchasing and installing CPU Scaler Ultimate and using the 500 to 800 option. This also happened to me with my first Pre when restoring my profile. Left it downloading and came back. The device was extremely hot. I shut it down pulled the battery and stuck both in a freezer for a few seconds. That was a stock Pre. I don't know what the actual temp was cause I did not have battery monitor at the time but it was hotter than it gets right now by far. I had the phone replaced a week or two later.
    They have a batterie temp monitor patch you can install in the device menue, as well as other patches that will trigger alarms when the pre's temp gets to 45 & 50C.
    I had the same problem, as I watch a lot of streaming video on Sprint TV & You Tube, I finally had to uninstall the 800mhz patch, as it was just getting to hot. The patch is nice and all, but if you can't do what you have to do without it overheating, it just defeats the purpose of the patch.
    The Saint
    I had the same issue,then return the phone and it seem like I got one of the good batch of pre's this time. I have the 800mhz patch,and my temperature remains at 35c,even when it's charging. The only time it ever went up to 47c,was when I was downloading Nfsu game,and that happen also with my stock pre.
    Looks like it's not all gravy in 800mhz land like everyone said it was.
    It"s a ****load better than being in stockland!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Mine seems to trigger the alert while on touchstone. Which is weird because I first had it on there when 1.4.1 was announced so I uninstalled it, expecting Verizon to be reasonable and put it out on time. Obviously, they STILL havn't so I put it back on. Now it overheats while on toocuhstone. Seems to do ok most other times. I watched an hour of youtube straight. Not one alert.
    Jason has a patch that will also let you view what temp you are at from info menu, their are two versions, one that reads in Fahrenheit and the other in Celsius
    Is the overclock patch available for 1.4.1.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by dancin126 View Post
    Is the overclock patch available for 1.4.1.1?
    Kinda, but at your own risk
    sorry, i didn't make clear, I had this problem without 800Mhz, so its no different, in fact, I may have had less worning since 800MHz
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhunadadun View Post
    It"s a ****load better than being in stockland!
    oh I agree 100% the 800 mhz patch and mhs have really made the pre a ziilion times more functional. With those patches and the video recorder I will prbably atick with the pre much longer than expected. I had thoughts of dumping it for nexus one when availibe on verizon or sprint, but now see no big reason to switch
    If you have the scaler installed you should be good while MHS ing or streaming radio. But Youtube ing. Naw, you'll over heat in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, if you're heavy into data usage, as am I, leave the patch alone. All that extra heat and battery drain is just not worth it. No matter what you're told,
    excess heat+electronics=short life span...period.
    Trolls will have a field day with that one, but I don't really care, as 26 years in the industry tells me I'm right.
    The Saint
    yeh me too. Overheats a lot with 800mhz. I uninstalled. Installed 720,still overheats, especially while charging,but a little less than 800 patch
    do what i do, put the phone near a fan while i'm tethering LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Yeah, if you're heavy into data usage, as am I, leave the patch alone. All that extra heat and battery drain is just not worth it. No matter what you're told,
    excess heat+electronics=short life span...period.
    Trolls will have a field day with that one, but I don't really care, as 26 years in the industry tells me I'm right.
    That's exactly why I remained stock.
    I use maybe 4-5 hours of data a day.
    Besides, I don't find a stock Pre to painstakingly slow like everyone exaggerates it to be. But then again, I never have any of the problems people whine about on here like too many cards or restarts or freezes.