Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    WebOS universal search is OK, but it it's a mere shadow of universal search in PalmOS. If there were one feature I'd like to see implemented, it would be ramping up this universal search to be more.. universal. It should bring up results from addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, especially notes within contacts.

It used to be I'd have a single contact, let's call it "Sony". In the notes for Sony, I'd keep 15 or more individuals who all work for that group. Typing in the partial name of any of them would bring up that contact immediately. The name didn't have to be in the name field, the phone number didn't have to be in the phone number field. It just searched all of it. Nowadays I have to have a separate entry for every damn individual I interact with, and my contact list has gone through the roof, in terms of numbers of entries.

I used to be able do a quick search on phone numbers.. often times while it was still ringing... to see if I knew them from anyplace. To this day, if a number comes up on my desk phone at work, and they're not in the local caller ID database, I reach for my Pre in order to hammer out the first couple of numbers to see who they are, not realizing that feature no longer exists.

I'm sorry, this is just one of a few PIM gripes I've had since Pre release day, that they need to get their most basic primary apps up to par with the old school Palm Pilots, before messing with Flash and stuff.

I MISS UNIVERSAL SEARCH. This phone does not have it.
    Last edited by neve; 05/27/2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    WebOS universal search is OK, but it it's a mere shadow of universal search in PalmOS. If there were one feature I'd like to see implemented, it would be ramping up this universal search to be more.. universal. It should bring up results from addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, especially notes within contacts.

It used to be I'd have a single contact, let's call it "Sony". In the notes for Sony, I'd keep 15 or more individuals who all work for that group. Typing in the partial name of any of them would bring up that contact immediately. The name didn't have to be in the name field, the phone number didn't have to be in the phone number field. It just searched all of it. Nowadays I have to have a separate entry for every damn individual I interact with, and my contact list has gone through the roof, in terms of numbers of entries.

I used to be able do a quick search on phone numbers.. often times while it was still ringing... to see if I knew them from anyplace. To this day, if a number comes up on my desk phone at work, and they're not in the local caller ID database, I reach for my Pre in order to hammer out the first couple of numbers to see who they are, not realizing that feature no longer exists.
    I used the Treo's for a few years and yes, the search is a bit different but I haven't had any issues with it bringing up phone numbers. But I totally agree that the big part of a phone number search I miss is the active search as it listed choices as you type... as for now I can/must enter a full phone number (with or without area code) and it will bring up that contact if there is a match. I'm with you on hoping they ramp up the Search function and make it a full engine

But one thing that the old PalmOS search function couldn't do that I can now is give me all the other options when I'm typing (google, twitter, etc..) or simply typing a web address without having to first open the browser. These new tweaks I like a lot. If they can update it to bring back the best of the past, it would be awesome.
    I hope they make modifiable from preferences. Adding the ability to search within some apps would be amazing. like make it a peace of code where the developer could include, and then from the prefrences you could add the apps you want.

One i'd really want is for the craiglist apps. Searching would be amazing.

I'd like to be able to remove twitter since i've never used that (except by accident). i'd like to add custom websites. I don't need it to search songs, or memos, but i'm sure some would love that. That's why it needs a settings page where you can select what it searches.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I hope they make modifiable from preferences. Adding the ability to search within some apps would be amazing. like make it a peace of code where the developer could include, and then from the prefrences you could add the apps you want.

I'd like to be able to remove twitter since i've never used that (except by accident). i'd like to add custom websites. I don't need it to search songs, or memos, but i'm sure some would love that. That's why it needs a settings page where you can select what it searches.
    I like how you're thinking. Well, there are two levels of search, aren't there.
    First it's "as you type, content on the phone". This is the type of search we've been talking about, local search.

If nothing comes up, it gives you the google/wiki/twitter search. Which really, was a great idea. Not on your phone? Try Google. I use it ALL the time.

Both searches should be configurable.. On the first search, you should be able to add local apps that might contain text documents or other files you could search the text of. Naturally, the native contact list, calendar, and your email would be included. But also third party apps. It should be as easy as opening the search preferences and selecting the apps you want to be included.

The second search would be the web search, and as you suggest, that too should be configurable, to include the websites of your choice, or combination thereof.

The whole search engine could use some major revamping.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

There are patches already for some of those... The only part of search I miss from my PalmOS days is searching documents... and since we don't have much in the way of a document app, I haven't missed it. I usually have my PC with me, and that's usually fine for the few times I need that kind of search...

I'm also curious whether opening up search the way PalmOS did would create any security issues. With PalmOS, search was all done by Palm, for Palm, and within Palm. With universal search, those lines have been blurred...
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Wow, I wouldn't have expected that from someone with over 500 posts.

I wonder how many people have returned or exchanged their Pre's and had no idea of some of the most basic and useful functions.
    Here's the realy irony - this feature (first letter of first name, first letter of last name) isn't a Pre feature or WebOS feature. I think my very first Treo 270 had it. I know the the last couple Treos I owned did.

Sounds like it's one of those things that we should be yelling that other phones don't have, but it's a "basic feature" that's "been around for years".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm also curious whether opening up search the way PalmOS did would create any security issues. With PalmOS, search was all done by Palm, for Palm, and within Palm. With universal search, those lines have been blurred...
    It's not only a security issue, it's a programming issue. The devkit doesn't allow searching other databases, and that's where those piece of information live. The developers have been pushing Palm to allow acces to other databases, and I suspect we'll eventually see it. When we do, WebOS's universal search will blow everything else away.

One of the things that's going to make this so much better (if/when Palm enables one app to search another apps database) is that, for the most part, all of the apps are using the same database format. Again, assuming Palm eventually allows it, this means that virtually any program will be able to have universal search look for matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I can open the slider with one hand, type a few letters with my thumb, and tap on the results to dial. All with one hand...
    well, good for you! i happen to be open and close the silder w/ one hand , but i don't know maybe it's just my second hand pre, the slider really sucks compared to any slider out there, it's hard to open and wobbly..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12