webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > SOLUTION for Verizon Palm Pre Plus GPS Problem
SOLUTION for Verizon Palm Pre Plus GPS Problem

Old 04/09/2010, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is a sure fire solution for anyone who is having problems with GPS on Palm Pre Pluses on Verizon. Tested this many times and it works. This is not for people with VZ Navigator subscription. You already shouldn't have any problems accessing the GPS anyway.

Sometimes, for whatever reason there is, access to the GPS is crippled. Maybe sometimes a software signs out of GPS chip inappropriately or whatever the reason is... There is a FIX!

Note: It would help if you step outside while you're doing this:

1. Go into location services, go to top left menu preferences and turn Google Services off. For this one time only also turn GPS off.

2. Turn off your phone completely (power down) and then remove battery. Give it a few seconds and put battery back on. Battery removal is a MUST as I think doing so completely clears your RAM. (Don't worry your info or data won't go nowhere)

3. Turn your phone on

4. Turn GPS on from Location Services (Don't turn on Google Services, just GPS)

5. Download and run Trapster

It will pick up your exact location spot-on. Then you can close that and switch to any program you like such as Minimap Google Maps etc and GPS would continue to track quite accurately.

Tested and it works. If you follow these exact directions and this works for you as well please let me know. So far it has worked for 2 people.

Last edited by cgokcea; 04/09/2010 at 10:03 PM.
cgokcea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is this a one-time fix, or do you have to do this whenever you want to reset your GPS? Can you also check Google Locator after you do this?
gapost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

so you never turn on google services?
johnj2803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

How long does this last for?
friguy3#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm willing to give it a shot in a little while...
Gunnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Instead of using Trapster (which just requests your location) why not just enter ##477# (##gps#) in the phone app, this requests a gps location too.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: e-gadget-guy
Old 04/10/2010, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

i think that this is great -- a voice of reason -- this is what i have been saying for a long time in many threads -- good job putting together a formula -- i found that simply shutting down the phone completely - restarting it - and then dialling ##477# started the GPS if it was shut down. I like the trapster program and use it alot -- i think that some programs are better at waking up the chip then others -- i also think that there might be a problem with google maps -- i think that most people use this as a base line for if their GPS is working and i think that either googlemaps is written to look for the AGPS signal first since this is their service or there is a problem with how it interacts with the chip that shuts it down -- i am not sure but since i have decided that this may be the culprit and have seldom used google maps my gps has not shut off for nearly a week --

thanks
Rob
mespiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't want to rain on the parade but I followed the above steps and mine is still off. Without Google Services, Google Maps is unable to find my location at all. Fingers crossed for 1.4.1.1 fixing this
ZEEEBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

are you outside? -- do you have a different ap to try? because as i have stated i think the google maps ap is broken -- download minimaps or trapster - go outside - and test that -- if you still don't get a lock go exchange your phone -- if it is a + it is still under warrenty and it is not -- I REPEAT - not a software problem if no ap will get lock

IMHO

Rob
Old 04/10/2010, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had an accuracy circle with about a 250 ft radius on Google maps. That accuracy is not good enough for the FitTrack app I wanted to use so I searched for a fix. I gave this a try and it seemed to work initially.

I went outside on a crystal clear day and followed the steps. When the phone came on, I turned on the GPS and tried the GPS "Get Fix" screen. That gave me an error after about a minute and a half. Then I started Trapster. It took about 3 more minutes but it did finally give me an accurate location. Then I went back to the GPS "Get Fix" screen and it worked as well.

I went inside and of course it lost the GPS signal. I went outside and let the phone sit for a bit and I got a reading with 50 foot accuracy. I figured it would get better with a little time so I purchased FitTrack and gave it a try. It didn't work great. I went for a 10 minute walk with the phone in my hand. At the end, the app told me I went almost 10 miles and averaged 47 mph. Needless to say, I don't walk that fast. It also reported a weak signal through most of the trip. I checked the tracking map and it looked like it lost the signal in an area that has a bunch of trees lining the street.

I'll probably try again tomorrow. Next time I won't go inside before my walk to see if this improves things...
Old 04/10/2010, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

For what it's worth, it seemed to work for me. Haven't had the chance to try it with anything like geocaching, but it sure seemed to pinpoint me accurately with foursquare and ypmobile. (Sure could have used it the past couple of days, though. Has been heck trying to check in with foursquare the last couple of days!)
Old 04/10/2010, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just tried this and it did not work. Any other suggestions?
Old 04/10/2010, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Reason I used trapster for this solution is because it is the best app there is out there in getting a solid fix on the GPS. If GPS isn't working for some reason it simply tells you that GPS cannot be accessed right at the beginning. (That happened to me once after my fix. I think some apps just don't exit properly and leave the GPS chip hanging, I had to do a power-cycle to restore GPS access. Even turning off the phone didn't help)

Google Services is always bad to keep on unless you are indoors, don't have a real GPS signal and you don't care for the accuracy. All the people saying they are receiving 1/2-1 mile off accuracy should turn that off.

This solution I posted works for the most part but if for some reason some app screws up the GPS access you will need to go back, do a full power-cycle to get the GPS working again.

This is until Verizon hopefully fixes this problem. But on a side note: I won't have to worry about that anymore as I went back to Sprint before my trial with Verizon was over. My upgrade period with Sprint was just coming up and I didn't wanna lose my chance of possibly switching to Pre2 or Evo when they come out.

Best of luck to all you Verizon folks!
cgokcea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 08:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtRoma View Post
I had an accuracy circle with about a 250 ft radius on Google maps. That accuracy is not good enough for the FitTrack app I wanted to use so I searched for a fix. I gave this a try and it seemed to work initially.

I went outside on a crystal clear day and followed the steps. When the phone came on, I turned on the GPS and tried the GPS "Get Fix" screen. That gave me an error after about a minute and a half. Then I started Trapster. It took about 3 more minutes but it did finally give me an accurate location. Then I went back to the GPS "Get Fix" screen and it worked as well.

I went inside and of course it lost the GPS signal. I went outside and let the phone sit for a bit and I got a reading with 50 foot accuracy. I figured it would get better with a little time so I purchased FitTrack and gave it a try. It didn't work great. I went for a 10 minute walk with the phone in my hand. At the end, the app told me I went almost 10 miles and averaged 47 mph. Needless to say, I don't walk that fast. It also reported a weak signal through most of the trip. I checked the tracking map and it looked like it lost the signal in an area that has a bunch of trees lining the street.

I'll probably try again tomorrow. Next time I won't go inside before my walk to see if this improves things...
do you have the google services disabled? and only GPS on? if not and it is using AGPS to locate you i think this would explain this -- when i have the gps only and google maps finds a fix with out the cloud the only time i see a cloud the google services is enabled
Old 04/10/2010, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
I just tried this and it did not work. Any other suggestions?
take your phone back -- hardware problems
Old 04/10/2010, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
do you have the google services disabled? and only GPS on? if not and it is using AGPS to locate you i think this would explain this -- when i have the gps only and google maps finds a fix with out the cloud the only time i see a cloud the google services is enabled
Yes, I had the GPS on and the Google Services off.

I did another quick experiment. I took a short trip to the grocery store (1-1/4 miles) and put the Pre on the dash of my car with FitTrack on. I did not reboot my Pre. FitTrack told me I had 1/2 a full signal. On the way there, it initially seemed OK. When I got there, my average speed seemed very slow (14 mph) since I didn't hit any traffic lights. I checked the map and again there was a short section where my path disappeared off the screen. This seems to indicate I lost the GPS connection for a small portion of the trip. The distance read 1.25 miles.

I checked the signal before my trip back home and it told me I had a full signal. This time the app worked almost perfectly. Only the elevation was messed up. Average speed was 20.81 which seems right since I hit a traffic light. I checked the map and it was spot on. The distance read 1.27 miles. Two 10ths more than the trip to the market... another indication that I lost the signal on the way there. The signal was locked in nicely for the trip back. When I got home, it told me the accuracy was less than 10'.

I'm not sure why it's so inconsistent but here are some observations... I thought with the walk, it might have been that I had my hand wrapped around the phone blocking it from picking up the signal. Either that or it might have had issues with me swinging my arms while walking. When I went to the market, I started off before it had a full signal. It probably couldn't "lock in" because I was moving. My Garmin sometimes has this same issue. On the way back, I was in an open parking lot and it got the full signal before I started off. It was "locked in". Looks like I might just need to be a little more patient.
Old 04/11/2010, 06:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

i know that this sounds counter productive but i have taken to leaving the find me with google services on -- it allows me to use aps like weatherbug when i am deep inside and have no hope of finding a gps signal and i don't know - maybe ot helps the gps start up -- just another thing you can experiment with -- the aps i use mostly are - intersection - which doesn't need to be spot on as long as with in 500 feet - weather bug as mentioned again just close not spot on -- trapster which for some reason does a really good job of wringing out acurate info from the GPS -- where is my pre which also does a really good job of getting acurate results (this program is one of the ones that 1.4 killed with it's short sighted handeling of headless aps and the 1 reason that i am anxious for 1.4.1) you might try to open trapster and your fit track ap and see if that helps get a strong gps location -- if you do this though i reccomend the temerature warning patch as i run trapster and music player remix when driving and prior to me mounting a touchstone in front of the vent i would experience some heating on long drives while running these 2 programs and charging the phone.

also i am running the 800mhz ipkg patch and this might also help the GPS run smoother -- it sure makes the phone a much improved experience.

i don't know why but as long as i am outside or in a single level building or near windows i seem to have very few problems finding a gps lock --i feel fortunate because prior to this phone i had a 755p and purchased a keychain bluetooth GPS -- i have always wanted this to be a feature that worked as envisioned but have never been able to get it to until now......

Rob
Old 04/12/2010, 10:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply...

I tried a few more drives with FitTrack on. They didn't go well. At one point, it told me I was averaging over 300 mph. When I was completely stopped, the distance meter would advance a mile a second. Sounds like it might be an issue with FitTrack. Then again, I'm sure the app wasn't designed for use in a car. I know the developer mentioned the GPS needs to work properly to use his app. I need to read through the forum thread for the app to see if I might be missing something.

Since the reboot, if I'm outside and still, I can get accuracy within 20-40ft which is OK. It seems I have issues when I move. I'll probably try putting on Google services again to see if that helps in some situations. I've tried Trapster but that didn't seem to help once I started moving.

At this point, I'm not willing to try the 800 mhz patch yet. I'm sure it would help some but my phone is too new and I'm barely into my 2yr contract. I don't know what the long term effects would be and I don't want to risk damage. My Pre is working fine other than the GPS. I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can figure something out.
Old 04/13/2010, 08:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

I hear you about the 800 MHz patch -- my phone is only a couple of weeks old because the charger in the old phone burnt up -(my fault , long story , don't use a solar charger) i have the 800MHz patch and the 500-800mhz scaler installed (i lost a nights sleep but just had to try it) it is remarkable how much better the phone preforms -- now with the scaling i feel i am seeing improved battery life. as to the GPS -- it has been a little spotty but not like the problems that alot of people are seeing - let me ask you this, how is your keyboard? any double typed letters -- any missed letter? because if your phone is new and you are seeing these issues as well as a weak GPS I personally would suggest you try to get the phone replaced -- especially if you are still inside of your first 30 days

rob
Old 04/13/2010, 07:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

I was reading about all the keyboard issues last night. I was surprised there are so many problems because mine has been perfect so far (knocking on wood right now). I'm not a big texter. At most, I've done 35 in a month. I'll send an occasional e-mail but most of the time I'm near a PC so no need to use the phone. On average, I'll use the keyboard 2 or 3 times a day. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones with this.

Now back to the GPS... I was sitting at my office desk, next to a big window on an overcast day, and I decided to see where it would put me on Google maps. It put me about 4 towns over, 6 or 7 miles away...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0