Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We must be faithful to the market.
    While personally I won't buy myself any smartphone without vertical keyboard.
    We must admit that users like us is only avery small group comparatively

I discover more and more potential consumers accept tablet-like smartphone.
    For examples, although my son understand my pre's os is better than and smoother than -> milestone --> hero. He tried them each for few days. He decided to keep the most slower & lagger hero because he likes the form factor
    If Palm's products line include tablet smartphone, they will attract more new customers or existing customers to buy a second phones for their family member. They must thinkabout if there are customers don't like keyboard, what should they buy?

Tablet smartphone is more easy to compete than vertical keyboard smartphone because they are already dominated by blackberry in which timely email and messaging is a must to corporate users. Webos still have no "apparent" competitive advantages in this area.
    Actually, I think the continued success of the Blackberry goes to show that many people prefer a portrait-style device with a physical keyboard. I think this is a major strength of the Palm lineup, and I don't think that the lack of a slate-style device is the reason for Palm's struggles.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    actually i think the success of the blackberry is b/c of it's email and the fact that many people need it for their jobs (and many of those businesses provide blackberries for employees)
    I like physical keyboards but I really think all the phones of the future will not have them. Virtual keyboards can be a pain but that's due to slow processors. Once everyone has 1ghz and 2ghz phone, virtual keyboards will evolve even more than they have. Look at the iphone. Most popular phone ever and that has a slab design.
    What I want to know is how many iphone users have chosen the virtual keyboard over the physical keyboard version of the iphone?

We will never know because Steve Jobs in all his wisdom didn't give them a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    What I want to know is how many iphone users have chosen the virtual keyboard over the physical keyboard version of the iphone?

We will never know because Steve Jobs in all his wisdom didn't give them a choice.
    Because believe it or not, once you 'adapt' to a virtual keyboard many can type a lot faster and more efficiently on one vs. a physical keyboard. I can for one... I can type a hell of a lot faster on a virtual kb.. and actually prefer it.
    The whole virtual keyboard vs physical keyboard debate will rage on until the end of time. There will always be people who prefer the tactile design of the physical keyboard or the versatile/smoothness of the virtual keyboard.

Personally, I prefer the physical keyboard. It is a big deal for me, but is not a deciding factor in my choice for a phone. Palm has implement keyboards in their phones since they were first born and quite franking will continue doing so in my opinion. They have had good reviews on their keyboard form factor as well and are successful. It's possible that they could release a virtual keyboard phone, but my hope is that they offer a physical keyboard alternative. The more you appeal to the customer's broad variety, the better.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Because believe it or not, once you 'adapt' to a virtual keyboard many can type a lot faster and more efficiently on one vs. a physical keyboard. I can for one... I can type a hell of a lot faster on a virtual kb.. and actually prefer it.
    But can you do "no look" typing on it?

In any event, its possible to offer both simultaneously.

Exactly. Just like it's possible to offer multitouch along with stylus support. However, Jobs doesn't like the design aesthetic, so iPad users are stuck with a nice way to consume content but no good way to create it.

Just because something's popular doesn't mean it's superior. People like capacitive touch screens because they're nice and responsive, and simply don't understand that they're also much less accurate. The point about the physical vs. virtual keyboard--the "no look" concept--is similar. People accept the virtual keyboard en masse because so many just don't know any better.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

I do. But I really think it is whatever you get used to. Like Mac vs. PC, stick vs. manual, Word vs. WordPerfect (when that was an option), Quark vs. InDesign.

I had a super old dumb phone before I went iphone so while it had a keyboard, I was not set up to send texts from that phone, so I never learned. Physical keyboards now drive me crazy, with their little keys.

I much prefer the keyboard sound on a virtual, and at least in the iPhone's case, the visual confirmation that I have selected the right key, before I actually press it. On a physical keyboard, I don't know until I have already made the mistake.

I make far fewer mistakes.
    I don't know if any other company has done it successfully but it could be an opportunity for Palm to provide the first smartphone that uses both keyboard styles and does so exceedingly well.
    android does this by offering virtual keyboards for the opposite of the slider which is usually in portrait mode since all current (amaerican) models are landscape. I think thid would be a great idea. Portrait physical and landscape virtual! I'm not a huge fan of virtual keybaords, especially not portrait as it's harder, but landscape isn't too bad at all, especially with haptic feedback.
    I think it depends on the size of the device a virtual keyboard is being used on. I love my Pre, but using a VK on it, even in landscape mode, is tough to do. But using a VK on the iPhone or iPad (Especially the iPad) is relatively easy to do...and no, I do not, nor have I ever owned an iPhone or iPad...my sister has an iPhone though and I got to test an iPad at Best Buy. I would kill for a larger screen on a next-gen Pre or a WebOS tablet, though...that would make using a VK killer for WebOS, in addition to an improved card functionality.
  14.    #14  
    Oh yes , you understand my point here is not to discuss if physical or virtual keyboard is better.
    Palm should understand the market pie is growing bigger and there is a share of customers like tablet phone. If palm ignore them, very likely their shares in the total market will be going down

Android gave its license and the various manufacturers immediately filled this gap(tablet-phone) very quickly.
    Last edited by lawtony; 04/09/2010 at 10:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I agree that blackberry has had support due to the vert keyboard AND the corporate security. Palm can and should simply offer both. I'll personally stick to the pre, I would imagine, as long as this form factor is available.

From Visors, to Clie's, to TX's, all along the way I have wanted this form factor. I am not will to loose my full screen to a keyboard. My opinion is that a virtual keyboard sucks. MessagEase was the only virtual keyboard I have ever used that compared to speeds on a thumb board.

I loved seeing the geeky speed competitions between Graffiti, PPC's, thumboards, MessagEase, FITALY, and others. Guys would race to see who trumped who. Nobody could compete with the thumboard.
    The look, feel, and function of the Pre Thumboard is still one of the top features for me. I love the way it slides out! Excellent!
    Do you remember PSION?
    Then Palm, Palm, Palm, WinMob6 (Uugh)
    now - - - PRE - - - !!
    It's less expensive to build a phone without a physical keyboard, plain and simple, plus it gives the phone designer more room for other things. I prefer a physical keyboard, coming from a VK, that's one of the selling points that swayed me over to the Pre
    I had a 3rd party (virtual) keyboard for my mogul, and i typed freakin fast on it. My chics moments vertical virtual board is awesome. But I still prefer the real keypad as an option.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It's less expensive to build a phone without a physical keyboard, plain and simple, plus it gives the phone designer more room for other things. I prefer a physical keyboard, coming from a VK, that's one of the selling points that swayed me over to the Pre
    me too, but what about your wife, daughter(s), son(s) or brothers. Do they have the same taste as you?
    People here almost all love webos, with no question, but is it nice that we can introduce a similar form factor Palm to hero users , a horizontal slide down keyboard Palm to droid users , a 3.7" flat screen Palm to Iphone users?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    How about the option to have both?

There was a C40 mockup someone did in a thread a while ago that I loved.
    Large screen + slide out keyboard that would make more sense than a curved phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast