1.    #1  
    Apple just revealed an enhancement to WebKit calle WedbKit2 which runs browser elements as separate processes, much like Google Chrome. Will any of this make it's way to the WebOS system?

WebKit2 Will Bring New Process Model to Safari - Security Watch
    Of course. Webkit2 will be the primary API when it's done.

It will be a loooong time though. WebOS still can't even handle anchors, authentication and other elements properly. It's a very bad browser. The devs seem to be getting better at working with webkit so hopefully we see some improvements soon.

Personally I will just be super giddy when they fix it enough to allow us to go back when using touch.facebook.com instead of having it close the entire site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    WebOS still can't even handle anchors,
    That part at least is incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That part at least is incorrect.
    I stand corrected. Hopefully the others get some love soon too
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    doesnt each web page/card already open as a separate app in webos?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If the browser is bad like you say, atleast it doesn't make a difference in user experience. The browser is one of the best things about WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    If the browser is bad like you say, atleast it doesn't make a difference in user experience. The browser is one of the best things about WebOS.
    I would say that Facebook completely breaking on something so simple as returning to the news feed after reading a comment is a pretty large tarnish on the user experience.

Also, considering it cannot display large images as of 1.4, I would say that having to cross my fingers and hope that the image link I clicked on actually shows the image and not an empty spot is also a pretty remarkably bad user experience.

Compared to horrible browsers on obsolete phones it looks spectacular, but it is still a buggy and incomplete browser. It needs to catch up with Android and iPhone OS in terms of technical competence before I can say it is decent. Just because it can display text and (some) images doesn't make it automatically awesome.

It has the right foundations for being great since its built on WebKit and V8, but as of now it really needs work and seems pretty amateurish compared to the competition.
    Also, considering it cannot display large images as of 1.4, I would say that having to cross my fingers and hope that the image link I clicked on actually shows the image and not an empty spot is also a pretty remarkably bad user experience.
    I do agree with this.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    no, its not a good idea.

multi-threading will obviously have larger memory footprint, its fine on a desktop with GB sized memory, it will be a nightmare on a mobile device with 256-512 RAM.

There are many thing webOS browser needs, multithreading is not one of them now.
    no, its not a good idea.

multi-threading will obviously have larger memory footprint, its fine on a desktop with GB sized memory, it will be a nightmare on a mobile device with 256-512 RAM.

There are many thing webOS browser needs, multithreading is not one of them now.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Apple just revealed an enhancement to WebKit calle WedbKit2 which runs browser elements as separate processes, much like Google Chrome. Will any of this make it's way to the WebOS system?

[url= Will Bring New Process Model to Safari - Security Watch[/url]
    this should be very interesting as it develops.
    one of the cool things about webOS is that webkit permeates throughout the entire thing, it isn't just used as the browser foundation.
    apps built on the sdk basically act as a local webpage.

this could possibly help with memory leaks and wesite reloading.
    the patch that stops a website from reloading tends to affect other apps and pages beside the browser card and cause significant slow down due to the card not offsetting its load til it's brought back in view again.

it will take a very long time for newer webkit builds to make their way into webOS though as they are integrated in the entire architecture, not just the browser.
    Of course. Webkit2 will be the primary API when it's done.

It will be a loooong time though. WebOS still can't even handle anchors, authentication and other elements properly. It's a very bad browser. The devs seem to be getting better at working with webkit so hopefully we see some improvements soon.

Personally I will just be super giddy when they fix it enough to allow us to go back when using touch.facebook.com instead of having it close the entire site.
    I lost faith in your credibility at "it's a very bad browser."

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I lost faith in your credibility at "it's a very bad browser."
    I don't think we could consider it a good browser. Any browser that struggles to work on the most popular sites, can't display large images, and still can't support the location API on a location centric device can't really be called "good". Maybe "workable".

Internet Explorer 6 is a perfectly okay browser that tries it's best and still works better than most cell phone browsers, but nobody would ever call it good.

I am a proud cheerleader of webOS and love developing for it, but the browser just isn't very good.
    I don't think we could consider it a good browser. Any browser that struggles to work on the most popular sites, can't display large images, and still can't support the location API on a location centric device can't really be called "good". Maybe "workable".

Internet Explorer 6 is a perfectly okay browser that tries it's best and still works better than most cell phone browsers, but nobody would ever call it good.

I am a proud cheerleader of webOS and love developing for it, but the browser just isn't very good.
    a snapdragon cpu spu sucks because a pentium 4 cpu runs at 2.8 ghz vs 1ghz and is considered bad. How bout we compare mobile with other mobile,and not desktop computers...
    WebKit is more than just the web browser, its the entire foundation of webOS. This would impact the entire operating system.

On current hardware this probably wouldn't be much of a benefit. With new Coretex-A9 multicore derived hardware (sporting I'd imagine 1GB of RAM, really no reason not to) this would be a huge benefit.

I'm not sure of their timeline, but this might be a long time before its stable enough to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().