1.    #1  
    Alright guys. Dumb question here.

so verizon's turn by turn gps costs extra to use it while to my understanding, sprint's doesn't. How hard or easy would it be to put sprint's navigation on the pre plus so I could get free turn by turn gps?

I mean, I know it has to be somewhat possible since the mobile hotspot can work on sprint's pre.
    I don't think that will work. My understanding is that Verizon is encrypting GPS drivers on OS level, and hence not allowing any GPS apps to run properly on their own (except VZ Navigator). Heard that's what they did to Blackberries in 2008 before they finally unlocked the GPS after enormous amounts of customer complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by reinfected View Post
    Alright guys. Dumb question here.

so verizon's turn by turn gps costs extra to use it while to my understanding, sprint's doesn't. How hard or easy would it be to put sprint's navigation on the pre plus so I could get free turn by turn gps?

I mean, I know it has to be somewhat possible since the mobile hotspot can work on sprint's pre.
    It's one thing to enable a service that runs on your own carrier (MHS). To try to hijack another carrier's 3rd party offerings, which they pay for, isn't cool (probably won't work, but I digress).

If it's that important to you, and you don't like the $10 a month or whatever, then drop VZ and come over to Sprint. Or just use the directions (not turn by turn voice, though) from google maps or ypmobile.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    It's one thing to enable a service that runs on your own carrier (MHS). To try to hijack another carrier's 3rd party offerings, which they pay for, isn't cool (probably won't work, but I digress).

If it's that important to you, and you don't like the $10 a month or whatever, then drop VZ and come over to Sprint. Or just use the directions (not turn by turn voice, though) from google maps or ypmobile.
    A bit agreed but I find it ironic that this forum supports the backloading of Mobile hotspot on a sprint pre. Which basically violates your TOS and costs that carrier more if you're using a lot of data on your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by reinfected View Post
    A bit agreed but I find it ironic that this forum supports the backloading of Mobile hotspot on a sprint pre. Which basically violates your TOS and costs that carrier more if you're using a lot of data on your computer.
    likewise, it also supported mytether when verizon charged for mobile hot spot. No difference here
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    if one has a verizon device, would sprint navigator become available after switching carriers to sprint?
    VZW device can't be activated on sprint.

As far as I know Sprint apps do carrier check, at least I believe this was said to be true of Sprint TV. This could have been bad information I got as I have never tried to load a Sprint app onto a non Sprint device.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0nix View Post
    if one has a verizon device, would sprint navigator become available after switching carriers to sprint?
    If one swaps the comm boards from a Sprint device (Pre) to a Verizon device (PrePlus or Pre2) and it was activated, yes Sprint apps can run on such a device, there is even a thread on here how to get the ipk installed...
    Sprint Nav has a user login prompt....

If you want Sprint Apps, get Sprint service.

Hans