Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    is it possible to transfer apps from one pre to another? for instance ive purchased some apps to try out and i think my dad would use them more than i would. he has a pre, and id like to give him the apps i paid for. This should be able to be done right? its like purchasing a book that you can share when you arent using it.
    Nope.
    No but there is a reason afterall you wouldn't be too encouraged to develop an app if people would just send it all over the place and Palm needs all the devs it can get
    Last edited by 063_xobx; 04/09/2010 at 08:45 AM.
    A better analogy would be buying an electronic book on a Kindle. It is tied to your Palm Account.

Yes, it would be great if you could give it and force an uninstall from your device and allow your Dad's account to know own it. That is not technically possible and may never be implemented.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    i understand developers would lose motivation. But, its legal to do with microsoft office or any fulll blown software you purchase at best buy. I think it should be allowed and legal for all phone operating systems. Obviously, palm needs developers big time, so its not a great idea for them to be the only phone OS that allows this.
    Actually, it's not always legal with Microsoft software to give it to soemeone else. The copy of windows that came with your computer, is tied to your computer, forever. A retail copy of Windows can legally be transferred once, as stated in the license agreement, Office is similar. Remember, you don't actually own any microsoft software, you own a license to use it, under the terms in which Microsoft provides. The same goes for that DVD you have bought, or pretty much anything that anyone else has created, ever, that is not an open source project.

Just because it's easy to give someone a disc doesn't mean it doesn't violate the license agreement.

Also, the Pre store is exactly like the Apple App store. Once you buy an app, it's tied to your account, forever.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    i mean it sort of is technically possible. its just not likely. I dont mind paying double for apps, bc they are so cheap. The principle is what im really getting at in this "debate""
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ya im fine with the current rules. I don't know of much software that you can purchase and install followed by an uninstall and then pass it to a friend and allow them to use it whiel you have it uninstalled. Typically microsoft says something like "you can have this install on 2 computers simultaneously." or something like on your main desktop and your laptop or something to that affect.