Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...install-b.html

Has anyone tried overclocking the GSM Pre with a 600, 720 or 800 Mhz in Europe?
    Yes
  3.    #3  
    well, concise and straight to the point, aren't you?
    Were there anything specific you wanted to know? It works as advertised; much faster and no significant loss of battery life.
    I was using 720Mhz for a while,
    i removed it,i got paranoid that i may kill my pre.
    whilst i was using it i was very impressed.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  6.    #6  
    No, just an overall view, I read too many disclaimers and caution words that I'm not entirely sure it's worth the risk, GSM might be different too, I thought
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Hey, I'm in australia but i'm using a spanish gsm pre. i'm using cpuscaler at 600mhz and it seems to be working fine. it's noticeable... not dramatic, but noticeable.

I'm getting tempted to try the 720... i'm just gonna wait longer and see whose pres fry first.

600 is safe, as i understand it, as it's actually a 600mhz chip. palm just underclocks them to 500.

also i believe it can improve (or at least not decrease) battery life because it scales, i.e. when idle 125mhz, when in use 600/720/800. while i think by default pre runs at 500 all the time? (not very efficient).
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    No, just an overall view, I read too many disclaimers and caution words that I'm not entirely sure it's worth the risk, GSM might be different too, I thought
    - Was running it for 3 days before 1.4.1, no issues.
    - Using it now for almost a week on 1.4.1, no issues.

Runs fine on MY GSM.
    O2 UK GSM Pre, been running at 800mhz for a couple of weeks. Not seen any negative affects.
    I'm running the 800 Mhz patch on my Pre (O2 - UK). Works perfectly. No overheating and in my opinion definitely worth the risk. Go ahead, live life a little and be amazed at the speed differences
  11.    #11  
    Are you all flipping Linux Dragons here? Because I looked at the procedure and it's just Greek to me!
    Don't know where you are looking but there is a simple ipk installer available now. If you look at item 4 in the first post here you will see links to download each individual ipk, just install with WOSQI.
    o2 uk ran 600 right up until the 800 came out then switched to 800, never really monitored battery but no extreme differences,

ps. 800 is fast as ******
    Are you all flipping Linux Dragons here? Because I looked at the procedure and it's just Greek to me!
    im completely new to it mate, just read carefully and follow instructions
  15.    #15  
    Allow OS to run for at least 4 hours to equilibrate but make sure Pre is not hot (>45C) before proceeding with Procedure 2 (steps 4-13)

Have you all allowed 4 hrs to avoid burning then?
    Allow OS to run for at least 4 hours to equilibrate but make sure Pre is not hot (>45C) before proceeding with Procedure 2 (steps 4-13)

No, didn't bother but was not using the phone heavily at the time. They're just saying don't start trying to download/tether/run 100+ apps straight away until the kernel has had time to settle in. Then keep an eye on temp afterwards.
    Only time my phone got really warm was when using Mobile Hot Spot.
    i went straight to the 800mhz patch and i will not be uninstaling it any time soon haha, luv it

I think you will find the 4 hours is directly after an OTA upgrade, ie 1.4.1

+1 to using on UK O2 @ 800
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I've been using the 800mhz kernel since it was available. Currently using it on 1.4.1 with only the one lock up although its not definitive it was the kernel. Also installing the cpu scaler for extra battery life and apparently longer cpu life.
    i use the scalling app with 500-800mhz. works like a charm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast